Should the Sox Re-Sign Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Re: Should the Sox Re-Sign Drew?

I had a lot of confidence in the defense whenever I looked and saw that Drew was on the left side.

And I think the unexpected pop from the bat at that position is hard to overstate.

He was seventh in at bats, but hit more dingers than Peedy and Ells. He had 16 fewer at bats than Nava but more homers. He had seven more at bats than Salty, but only ONE less home run. He had 35 fewer at bats than Shane but only TWO fewer home runs.

I can't ignore this surprising surprising power from the wrong end of the order.

He plays like a gamer, and I suspect he's a positive force in the clubhouse. I think you have to make him a QO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

If Napoli walks and we pick up a big bat in the OF, we can afford to go with Middy, Carp, Nava, and Papi splitting time at 1B.

No big bat in the OF.  If/when Ells goes, it'll be JBJ in CF.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to The4040club's comment:
    [QUOTE]

According to Peter Abraham, probably not nor jacoby.  But one never knows.  How do you let Drew walk without offering him a good contract.

[/QUOTE]

Ithink you offer contract and that way you at least get a draft pick if he signs with another team. Ells at least 1 yr 14 mil to get a # 1 draft pick if he signs elsewhere.... I think?

[/QUOTE]

QO to Drew, Ellsbury, and Naps......Salty I may try to get him for 2 yrs/15; QO may be risky but I can afford to do it if say Drew and Naps reject the QO........

[/QUOTE]

They will have to offer them all by the same time.  If Drew or Napoli reject, it is too late to offer QO to Salty.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Napoli walks and we pick up a big bat in the OF, we can afford to go with Middy, Carp, Nava, and Papi splitting time at 1B.

[/QUOTE]

Don't be so sure about that. JBJ could use another half a season in AAA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I definitely want him back. Outstanding fielder (that catch of Molina's  liner in Game 5 was huge) and teammate. Obviously not a great hitter, but you cannot  put a price tag on a dependable shortstop.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's so obvious, LD, just because he had a weak postseason at the plate.  After his early season funk, he recovered nicely to put up some decent numbers.  I think he's capable of better numbers playing a complete season in good health.  He also shows decent plate discipline and has some pop in his bat, and he's probably one of the better run producing shortstops in baseball, although certainly not elite.  

The decision to sign or not to sign will be based on many other factors, including plans for Bogey and Middlebrooks, and mostly about what offers Drew finds in FA.  I wouldn't expect the Red Sox to commit too much to Drew for the longterm.  I'd look for Bogey to fill the position next season, and  back him and Middlebrooks up with a strong defensive swingman ss/3rd baseman, preferably a left-handed hitter or switcher in the Alex Cora mode (any candidates?).  If Drew is back, Middlebrooks is probably traded.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JBJ could be part of a big package for Stanton or some other big bopper non1Bman.

As much as I'd like to have Napoli back, we still need someone who can bat behind Papi in the NL parks. It can't be a 1Bman. Being proactive and getting someone this winter who can protect Papi and also someday maybe replace him in the 4 slot can't hurt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Yes, Drew, for sure.  Middlebrooks is going to have to win the first base job, but if they re-sign Naps, then he'll probably go in a trade. 

I would trade Middlebrooks if it brought a powerful and proven 30/110 type of hitter... but I won't be trading him so I can keep Napoli at 1st and Xander at 3B. Neither Xander nor Middlebrooks need to be screwed with too much for the sake of a pair of short-term vetrans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I definitely want him back. Outstanding fielder (that catch of Molina's  liner in Game 5 was huge) and teammate. Obviously not a great hitter, but you cannot  put a price tag on a dependable shortstop.

[/QUOTE]

This ^

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JBJ could be part of a big package for Stanton or some other big bopper non1Bman.

As much as I'd like to have Napoli back, we still need someone who can bat behind Papi in the NL parks. It can't be a 1Bman. Being proactive and getting someone this winter who can protect Papi and also someday maybe replace him in the 4 slot can't hurt.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think we need anyone batting behind Papi in NL parks.  We haven't lost the season series on the road v the NL since 2004.  That's a really long time to play > .500 on the road.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Odds on Drew accepting the one-year QO as a bridge to a healthy season and new more healthy contract?? If Drew stays, Middlebrooks is out.

Interesting that Salty did not get a QO. Maybe Ben is considering Notin's idea of a Middy-for-LAA-Catcher trade.

I like Victorino in center or right, but his health is a major question. JBJ will be very important defensively in 2014, especially with no Ells and a potentially hurting (back) Victorino. I like Nava, but his value to others has never been higher.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

I don't think we need anyone batting behind Papi in NL parks.  We haven't lost the season series on the road v the NL since 2004.  That's a really long time to play > .500 on the road.

We may have pushed our luck a bit.

We certainly are a better hitting team with Napoli behind Papi, and it would be nice to have a similar or better bat behind him in NL parks too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Odds on Drew accepting the one-year QO as a bridge to a healthy season and new more healthy contract?? If Drew stays, Middlebrooks is out.

Depends on our 1B decisions.

Interesting that Salty did not get a QO. Maybe Ben is considering Notin's idea of a Middy-for-LAA-Catcher trade.

Salty is probably looking for a longer term deal. This is his moment in the sun. We may not be out of the running for his services just yet, but my guess is, he is gone.

I like Victorino in center or right, but his health is a major question. JBJ will be very important defensively in 2014, especially with no Ells and a potentially hurting (back) Victorino. I like Nava, but his value to others has never been higher.

Again, the 1B situation has to be worked out. If we end up with Middy, Carp and Papi at 1B next year, having Nava on the roster could add support there if those guys falter.

I like the Nava/Gomes LF platoon.