Should Varitek Retire at Year End, Or Play another 2 or 3 years like his Fiance Says?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from softlawRS. Show softlawRS's posts

Should Varitek Retire at Year End, Or Play another 2 or 3 years like his Fiance Says?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Re: Should Varitek Retire at Year End, Or Play another 2 or 3 years like his Fiance Says?

I would suggest another button - make Varitek the bullpen coach.

That way, he would be around to mentor Salty (or Snyder or Doumit or Molina), shepherd the wayward pitchers, and to start to take some direction from the FO in order to be a manager (or even GM) some day.

Here endeth the lesson.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tallcoolone. Show tallcoolone's posts

Re: Should Varitek Retire at Year End, Or Play another 2 or 3 years like his Fiance Says?

because of THEO'S incompetence, the SOX have to keep V-TEK for the rest of the year; unless you want SALTY with a minor leaguer backing him up.
    at this point the SOX need V-TEK.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Or another choice:
    Wait until a good portion of the season has passed to make a decision

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Actually, what most of us are hoping is that softlawRS will retire before Tek does.

These incessant attacks are without merit.  You can make a good case that the pitching staff has settled down this year in part because of his presence.  Most of the credit goes to the pitchers of course.  Plus some for putting Wheeler and Jenks on the DL and bringing up Hill, Aceves, Albers, et al.  Plus some to Saltalamacchia for hanging in there. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from softlawRS. Show softlawRS's posts

The guy I saw running to first, last night, will not make it through another season unless he gets a "Wakefield".

A "Wakefield" is what Ortiz won't get. It's where you get an active roster spot to sit for 80 to 90% of the time when other players at the same position are playing.

Lowell
    Wakefield
    Varitek

What do these players have in common?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Lowell
    Wakefield
    Varitek

What do these players have in common?

They all have 2 World Series rings.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

If Theo is so incompentent because he did not sign another catcher.
    Whom should they have signed that would have been better with this staff?

Then based upon next tears list whom would you rather have? come in?

Rod Barajas (36)
    Henry Blanco (40)
    Ramon Castro (36)
    Ryan Doumit (31) - $7.25MM club option for 2012, $8.25MM club option for '13 with a $500K buyout
    Ramon Hernandez (36)
    Jason Kendall (38)
    Gerald Laird (32)
    Jose Molina (36)
    Yadier Molina (29) - $7MM club option with a $750K buyout
    Dioner Navarro (28)
    Ivan Rodriguez (40)
    Brian Schneider (35)
    Kelly Shoppach (29) - $3.2MM club option with a $300K buyout
    Chris Snyder (31) - $6.75MM club option with a $750K buyout
    Matt Treanor (36)
    Jason Varitek (40)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

In Response to Re: Should Varitek Retire at Year End, Or Play another 2 or 3 years like his Fiance Says?:
    [QUOTE]The guy I saw running to first, last night, will not make it through another season unless he gets a "Wakefield". A "Wakefield" is what Ortiz won't get. It's where you get an active roster spot to sit for 80 to 90% of the time when other players at the same position are playing. Lowell Wakefield Varitek What do these players have in common?
    Posted by softlawRS[/QUOTE]

Tell me you're not dumb enough to make this about race. Mike Lowell isn't white.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Options were flawed but I chose play one more year because as a backup that is fine. If you can keep him to starting no more then 60 games a season you can live with what he gives you for one more season if the rest of the team performs as expected. As to Salty... I am not sold on him, I think it is more likely you will see him mentor Esposito or Wagner next season. And following that up he has to be a Minor league Manager, Maybe at AA Portland in 2013, and Bench Coach for the Sox in in my opinion in 2014. That sets him up to take over for Tito in 2015.

My Pick to be the next catcher that starts for the Sox long term with solid offense and defensive ability is Lavarnway though. I don't see him as the starter for boston till 2014. That gives him the rest of 2011 to play in Portland, 2112 in Pawtucket, and no sooner then 2113 in Boston. becoming the starter by 2014.