Should we Draft a Hitter or Pitcher?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Should we Draft a Hitter or Pitcher?

Should the Red Sox go after a Hitter or a Pitcher with the 7th overall pick in the draft? Me Personally I feel like the Red Sox should go after a pitcher, I really like what I'm hearing about Braden Shipley he has a fastball that he throws in the low to mid 90s, but can reach 97, he has the chance of having a plus curveball and an average changeup. They say he has a good delivery and feilds his position fairly well. With good pitching becoming hard to come across whether in a trade or free agency I think we have to keep developing our pitching staff as much as we can.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Should we Draft a Hitter or Pitcher?

they should go after the best available but my preference is a bat. Aside from XB we really don't have a true 3/4 slot hitter in our system.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Personally Id take a power bat if theres one there at #7. My reasoning is because when you get past the 10ish pick, the legit ones are usually all gone. I really dont see the Sox as a top ten pick again unless they cant sign whoever they pick 1st in this years draft, so if a guy like Kris Bryant is still there, Id take him. The Sox have had very good luck with compensatory picks with pitchers and picks after round 1.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I'd rather a hitter personally. But it doesn't matter. They should draft the best player available regardless. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This is baseball. You don't draft like you're trying to fill a hole. You draft the best player available tht high.

Maybe as the draft goes on, you look for something specific -- power bat, power arm, catcher, etc. -- maybe, but in the first half, you draft the best stud you can find.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Glad we're all on the same page here. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

problem is there are never any legit power bats later in the rounds. There are guys with power potential, but never any legit ones. They need one. I understand the "best available" pick and understand if thats the route they go, but I still say if theres 1 0r 2 legit bats there, they should take one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

elite bats are easier to project than elite arms.  It is much more common for a pitcher to be snagged in later rounds that develops into a ML player.  I'd go with a power bat, unless their is a pitcher who "falls" to #7. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Trade the pick for someone you have a better line on, a player already in developement somewhere.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to eggplants' comment:

Trade the pick for someone you have a better line on, a player already in developement somewhere.

...............this isn't the NFL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Best player available.  LF and 1B types with power aren't particularly hard to find.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:

elite bats are easier to project than elite arms.  It is much more common for a pitcher to be snagged in later rounds that develops into a ML player.  I'd go with a power bat, unless their is a pitcher who "falls" to #7. 

And pitchers get hurt much more often.

But best available.  If Mark Appel is there, you might have to forego the power bat...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:

But best available.  If Mark Appel is there, you might have to forego the power bat...

If by some miracle a guy like Appel is there, then yes. But I doubt he is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Appel did fall the 8th last year, so 7th is not exactly unreasonable, and certainly not miraculous.   Heck, there is precedent.

The draft is where the Boras Factor is far, far more influentential...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Appel did fall the 8th last year, so 7th is not exactly unreasonable, and certainly not miraculous.   Heck, there is precedent.

The draft is where the Boras Factor is far, far more influentential...

Thats true notin. I didnt think of that.

I still want a legit bat in this lineup. We have some good bats, but once papi leaves, theres not one hitter that is "feared" anymore. Pure hitters are never around later on. Unless the sox have their eye on a trade or something...