Sign Wakefield for one more year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tropical-Nation. Show Tropical-Nation's posts

Sign Wakefield for one more year

I can hear the keyboard keys clacking in outrage already, but bear with me:

First, the Sox need  at least THREE AL East ready starters:  the 4, 5 and insurance /injury / # 6 . Lots of discussion already on the possibilities available this year;  pay 14 mil for a decent #4 ( a CJ Wilson, say ) , move an ace bullpen guy  ( Bard or Aceves )  to the rotation and weaken the pen,  pick up a long shot free agent, trade what’s left of the PawSox and Sea Dogs for a no guarantees guy, etc etc etc. and that still only maybe gets you two guys and not the three needed.  Plus a closer and a right fielder , but let’s not go there for now.

We already have a tested AL East starter for , what, 2 mil ?,  on the roster.  Wake  gets the #5 slot the first half of the season, and if he tanks, we have Dice –K ( maybe) coming back. Money saved goes to another starter, a closer, a right fielder, Heidi’s replacement , take your pick.

And in the less tangible, less quantifiable reasons: The Red Sox are a team all about history. A hundred year old ballpark. 5 generations of memories passed down and along. Watching Williams to Yaz to Rice to Manny to now Carl;…Lomborg to Lee  to Tiant to Pedro and Curt …  

One of this generations memories could be a chance to see the All Time Wins, Pitcher, Boston Red Sox happen in front of our eyes. Not all time Seattle, not all time Arizona, not all time Kansas City, but All Time Boston Bloody Red Sox, and just as added sweetness,  knocking Roger out of history to the also ran status he has earned.

And finally, yes, we the fans and the Red Sox owe him. A man who is the very antithesis of the spoiled rotten ego driven millionaire. The man who gives not only on the mound, but endlessly off the field. We all owe him a chance at that record.

Questions, comments, funny remarks?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Sign Wakefield for one more year

I'll go in the column of "funny remarks" because it is hard to take any ideas about bringing back a guy who struggled to win a single game for longer than the Reps and Dems in Washington struggled with the budget issue.

Dubbya would be in favor of bringing back Wakefield, but he doesn't know jack about baseball...but this has never stopped him, he didn't know jack about much of anything else , except how to make him and his cronies richer...and he was Hombre #1 for eight agonizing years, longer than we've suffered with Wakefield as a "mop up" guy. Why on Earth would a team with a huge supply of resources want to keep a 44 year old knuckleballer who has more games where he can't get guys out than games where he looks in control? We could promote almost any kid from AAA or AA and they could win more games than Wakey, and do it for less money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

And finally, yes, we the fans and the Red Sox owe him. A man who is the very antithesis of the spoiled rotten ego driven millionaire.

Tim Wastefield has been paid over 55 million dollars by the Red Sox. He cost nearly 4 million for his 2011 pile. His ceremonial tour to 200 career wins of 2011 team distraction was the #1 factor in the late season collapse. His is 45 years old and has a giant beer gut. He is completely useless in the pen where pen roles require pitching with runners on base. The last time his season ERA was under 5 was 3 seasons ago.

The market has Francis, Bedard, Harden and several other veteran rejects who are under 40 and will cost a lot less than the 3.75M 2011 production pile of Wastefield.

After the record collapse of 2011, arrogant Wastefield assumed his Red Sox gift roster spot would be waiting in InEpstein's office. His comment was not about what he failed to do in performance or leadership in 2011, it was about fans deserving the chance to see him break an individual record in 2012.

Critical that Valentine make sure that non-producing old veterans, without 2012 contracts, from 2011 team debacle are not part of 2012 team construction. Ortiz produced, so he earned a market value FA contract offer on market base and limited to a 1 or 2 year term, max, not 3 years. Of course, Ortiz is not over 40 years old, either, which is why he remained one of the league leaders in hitting.

Wastefield is most certainly an old arrogant millionaire, and one who thinks he is entitled to a roster spot until he decides he is ready to retire, which should have been years ago.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

Please DONT sign Wakefield, Please get Beckett on a strict diet (sorry Josh) and require the pitching staff to run 25 miles per week. 2010 stretch run should NEVER be repeated. How about a 15 game winner under 29 or a cant miss prospect from another system? GO RED SOX!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Is Red Sox Nation worthy enought to see him break Rocket and Cy career wins...he will be back...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'd like to offer Wakefield a minor league deal.  He could be a 6th/7th starter that could fill in for depth in the event of an injury, or possibly take over a 5th spot depending on how the rotation is and how well he pitches at Pawtucket.

Thats the value I see in Wakefield right now, unfortunately I think that would be more of an insult to him after all the time he has put into this team.  For that reason, I don't think we should offer him anything. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Sign Wakefield for one more year:
    [QUOTE]And finally, yes, we the fans and the Red Sox owe him . A man who is the very antithesis of the spoiled rotten ego driven millionaire . Tim Wastefield has been paid over 55 million dollars by the Red Sox. He cost nearly 4 million for his 2011 pile. His ceremonial tour to 200 career wins of 2011 team distraction was the #1 factor in the late season collapse. His is 45 years old and has a giant beer gut. He is completely useless in the pen where pen roles require pitching with runners on base. The last time his season ERA was under 5 was 3 seasons ago. The market has Francis, Bedard, Harden and several other veteran rejects who are under 40 and will cost a lot less than the 3.75M 2011 production pile of Wastefield. After the record collapse of 2011, arrogant Wastefield assumed his Red Sox gift roster spot would be waiting in InEpstein's office. His comment was not about what he failed to do in performance or leadership in 2011, it was about fans deserving the chance to see him break an individual record in 2012. Critical that Valentine make sure that non-producing old veterans, without 2012 contracts, from 2011 team debacle are not part of 2012 team construction. Ortiz produced, so he earned a market value FA contract offer on market base and limited to a 1 or 2 year term, max, not 3 years. Of course, Ortiz is not over 40 years old, either, which is why he remained one of the league leaders in hitting. Wastefield is most certainly an old arrogant millionaire, and one who thinks he is entitled to a roster spot until he decides he is ready to retire, which should have been years ago.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Hank/Pike - whoever you are. I tend to stay out of your conversations, but get over this already. Wakefield was not the cause of the Sox demise in Sept., 2011. The team just played sh*t baseball as a whole. Let it go already.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

This is a business.  You don't sign somebody because you owe them anything.  You sign them if they can help you win and they are better than the 25th man on the roster.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

That's right, and Wakefield has always been more of a help than a hinderance. Tell me, was the Sox clown car from Pawtucket better, more effective than Wakefield? Nope.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]Is Red Sox Nation worthy enought to see him break Rocket and Cy career wins...he will be back...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

It took him over two years to do it, and still he is five wins behind or like that!!

Forget him!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I'd like to offer Wakefield a minor league deal. He could be a 6th/7th starter that could fill in for depth in the event of an injury, or possibly take over a 5th spot depending on how the rotation is and how well he pitches at Pawtucket.

Thats the value I see in Wakefield right now, unfortunately I think that would be more of an insult to him after all the time he has put into this team. For that reason, I don't think we should offer him anything.

Well articulated, and correct.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The bottom line is that Wakefield has not been an effective pitcher for some time now. I don't see how that is going to change.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billpar. Show billpar's posts

Don't even think about it!!!
    He's been finished for years.
    Go back to Game 1 of the 2004 World Series, he couldn't hold a seven run lead!

"Nuf Ced" McGreevey

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Go back to Game 1 of the 2004 World Series, he couldn't hold a seven run lead!

The man looks like a 45 year old truck driver who frequents Texas roadhouse bars, and pitches worse.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

45 year old guys with giant beer guts and ERA's over 5 for over 2 years are usually finished, yes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sign Wakefield for one more year : Hank/Pike - whoever you are. I tend to stay out of your conversations, but get over this already. Wakefield was not the cause of the Sox demise in Sept., 2011. The team just played sh*t baseball as a whole. Let it go already.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

No, hank's not pike, he's softlaw. They don't like each other....lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, I'd much rather have one of these guys at $4M+...

B. Chen        $4.5M x 2 
      (35 in June: since 2006, 69 GS/ ERA 4.73/ tERA 5.08/ WHIP 1.43)

C-M Wang    $4M x 1   
      (32 in March: since 2008, 35 GS/ ERA 5.36/ tERA 4.89/ WHIP 1.46)

F. Garcia      $4M x 1  
      (36 in Oct., since 2007, 76 GS/ ERA 4.40 /tERA 5.07/ WHIP 1.36)

...than this guy at $1-1.5M...

Wake...since:
                     2007: 124 GS/ ERA 4.82/ tERA 4.68/ WHIP 1.34
                     2008:   93 GS/ ERA 4.84/ tERA 4.66/ WHIP 1.34
                     2009:   63 GS/ ERA 5.18/tERA  4.66/ WHIP 1.42

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

And the snipet propagandist Wastefied apologist:

A. Shows how pitiful Wastefield is in his better full years nearly a half a decade ago

B. Uses sinpet years to pretend that these kinds of veterans will all cost more than resigning the Wastefield pile for millions in welfare payments

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And the snipet propagandist Wastefied apologist:

A. Shows how pitiful Wastefield is in his better full years nearly a half a decade ago

B. Uses sinpet years to pretend that these kinds of veterans will all cost more than resigning the Wastefield pile for millions in welfare payments

The absurdity continues.  

These Veterans all have already signed. 

All signed for $4M or more. 

You, yourself, have said nobody will pay Wake more than a minor league deal. Tell me how this makes any sense to anyone but a silly clown.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Absurd, your snipet of 3 includes Garcia off a big year, Wang, and Chen for 2.25M. Wang is the only one I said to offer 1M plus incentives.

You pretend that the paristitic pile of Wastefield is the only affordable option, by pretending that all of the veteran pitchers on the market will get at least 2 or 3M. Nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wastefield is the 45 year old fat beer gut guy who stinks, lunatic! You claim to offer that pile 1.5M, and then pretend that is underpaying him (but he can be had because market doesn't know what you cut and paste on snipets) because Chen and Wang and Garcia are getting 2M plus.

You need help. Frankly, I am fairly confident the clown Wastefield act is over in Red Sox land, unless he comes in on some other welfare Gm like the Cubs VP of nothing.

I love how Cherington sent him a deserved insult, via the media. "If any role at all". Goodbye Timmy Beer Gut T-Ball Wastfield part 345660000, call up Social Worker InEsptein and see if he will give you another 50 million plus until you decide to retire at SS age.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

wakefield is as relevent to the 2012 sox season as Francona is....some people are in serious denial....sort of funny actually....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Yes, Geo, and you can bet that Moonslow will cry if Wastefied isn't offered at least 1.5M. Of course, he lies and claims he doesn't really like Wakefield but Wakefield is simply the best value on the market because the Red Sox can't afford the other more expensive inferior veteran pitchers. Pathetic! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

We owe him a lot, in fact we owe him so much that he is offering to give us our cake and let us eat it too. We the fan "deserve" to see him go for the record, and go for it, and go for it, and go for it...