Sizemore contacted by Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Sizemore contacted by Sox

How important is a RH OF with Lavarnway in the lineup?  Lavarnway, Youk, Pedroia & Scutaro are all RH, and Ortiz hit lefties very well last year.  Gonzalez had a down year against lefties, but he's still far from a liability, and actually hit them better in 2010.  The only real liabilities are Crawford and RF (whether it's Sizemore, Kalish or Reddick).  Crawford will not sit - he's making too much money.  So all we really need is a platoon bat for RF. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from atteckus. Show atteckus's posts

Acquiring Grady Sizemore is like taking a $5MM+ solid gold anvil with you for a swim at Revere Beach.  5 surgeries, 2 reconstructed knees, 101 at bats in the last 2 seasons, just a little over 200 at bats in the last 3 seasons, last year's worst defensive outfielder in the Majors by UZR/150 at -17 (even though he didn't really play enough to fairly utilize that statistic) and a slash line at all times since 2008 that was worse than J.D. Drew's.  If Boston is smart, they will focus on acquiring someone who is healthy, is a right hand batter, and who is a character/clubhouse positive.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Sizemore contacted by Sox:
    [QUOTE]Acquiring Grady Sizemore is like taking a $5MM+ solid gold anvil with you for a swim at Revere Beach.  5 surgeries, 2 reconstructed knees, 101 at bats in the last 2 seasons, just a little over 200 at bats in the last 3 seasons, last year's worst defensive outfielder in the Majors by UZR/150 at -17 (even though he didn't really play enough to fairly utilize that statistic) and a slash line at all times since 2008 that was worse than J.D. Drew's.  If Boston is smart, they will focus on acquiring someone who is healthy, is a right hand batter, and who is a character/clubhouse positive.
    Posted by atteckus[/QUOTE]

Sizemore had micro-fracture surgery on his knees, which doctors give a 75% success rate, even in atheletes.  John Stockton & Jason Kidd had the same surgery and returned to complete health.  Others have not been as lucky, but IMO it's worth the gamble.  The surgery resulted in cartilage tear off that made it difficult for Sizemore to run (explaining his poor defense and base-running).  He has since had arthro-scopic surgery to remove the cartilage (simple surgery - what Gonzalez had on his shoulder last year).  In 2012, he will be the player he will be for the rest of his career.  If it's anything close to what he was pre-2009, it would be great if the Sox were the team to reap the benefits.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]How important is a RH OF with Lavarnway in the lineup?  Lavarnway, Youk, Pedroia & Scutaro are all RH, and Ortiz hit lefties very well last year.  Gonzalez had a down year against lefties, but he's still far from a liability, and actually hit them better in 2010.  The only real liabilities are Crawford and RF (whether it's Sizemore, Kalish or Reddick).  Crawford will not sit - he's making too much money.  So all we really need is a platoon bat for RF. 
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

slo,

FYI the Sox played over .600 ball vs lefthanded starters last year...the flaw in the overall roster contruction last year was that Mike Cameron didn't deliver as expected as the 4th ofer and MacDonold who was to be our 5th OFer also struggled in the first half, but after the release of Cameron rebounded with the stick and posted very solid "BU ofer numbers in the second half...

Youk's injuries and ineffectiveness in the sencond half compounded the problem and robbed us of a proven RH middle of the order career 900 ops righthanded stick.

So in the interest of balancing the lineup and having the flexibiltiy to rest players vs certain pitchers. If you have 3 starting ofer that all bat righthanded you'd likely look to bolster your depth by having your BU hit lefthanded.

Also spilts can be somewhat misleading when used without weighing the entire rosters career numbers vs the opposing starter...in the end you bat the best 9 guys...

Crawford has better numbers vs CC Sabathia than Dustin Pedrioa for example. Last year struggled to even get a bat on the ball vs Price from Tampa ditto Ortiz and Gonzalez. So if you look inside the numbers vs focusing soley on splits with 13 position players to chose from there will be times when a manager has to chose between the lessor of two evils...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/4553/teamId/2/cc-sabathia

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/28958/teamId/2/david-price

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Red Sox past record on reclamation projects is poor. Time for a new approach. Just get a decent player who is actually healthy enough to play, not broken down players with "potential". Time to stop dropping a million here and there and focus on players who can play now. The Bill Belichick approach has not worked for the Sox and lately even Bill's results ain't so hot. Pass on Sizeless.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Sizemore, when healthy, can flat out hit and hit for power. He is a good fit for the Sox, even though LH.
    I'd take a flyer on him and Willis both.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I thought signing Baldelli after TB released him was a good gamble.  How did that work out?

The Baldelli signing worked out fine. He ably served as a fourth outfielder and he had excellent pinch-hitting numbers. Not everyone has to be a star player, if the money is reasonable.

I'm in favor of adding Grady Sizemore as a fourth outfielder and possibly more; if he rebounds to his prior success, the Red Sox add another All-Star at short money. If he doesn't work out, then waive or trade him. These are the types of chances big market teams can afford to
    make with people.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Gotta love it!
    Slowman has decided that a guy with a handful of at bats in September is going to be all the right handed power the Sox need.
    Amazing!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Lineup:
    Sizemore (Lives on Disabled List)
    Pedroia
    Ells (Nice, one hot year in front of Pedroia and he takes the place of the guy InEpstein signed to be the #3 hitter, Crawford)
    Agon
    Beltran (35 years old)
    Crawford (142M #6 hitter)
    Youk/Aviles
    Salty/Lavarnway
    Scutaro/Lowrie

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Gotta love it! Slowman has decided that a guy with a handful of at bats in September is going to be all the right handed power the Sox need. Amazing!
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

The guy hit .377 against lefties at Pawtucket.  You don't think his presence in place of Salty / Tek is a more significant upgrade than say Cuddyer over Reddick?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

NO!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]NO!
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

I think you should put your money where you mouth is.  I'll bet you that Lavarnway has better numbers vs LHP than Cuddyer in 2012.  The winner chooses the losers avatar for 1 year.  I'm already photoshopping Josh Reddick into a heart-shaped frame.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

at one point Siezmore did play in 382 straight games.  Half of his injuries are not something I'd consider someone to be "injury prone"  with the exception of his elbow and knee, which was more recent.  At 29 years old though, he is more than capable of having a healthy career if he has fully rehabilitated himself.

If he comes in at full strength he would be twice the player J.D. Drew was.  I see no reason to not take a chance on him if the price is right. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]at one point Siezmore did play in 382 straight games.  Half of his injuries are not something I'd consider someone to be "injury prone"  with the exception of his elbow and knee, which was more recent.  At 29 years old though, he is more than capable of having a healthy career if he has fully rehabilitated himself. If he comes in at full strength he would be twice the player J.D. Drew was.  I see no reason to not take a chance on him if the price is right. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Bottom line Hugh.  Of course he is a gamble.  Can't be 100% that he is not "injury prone" or that he will return to full productivity.  but, at the right price, why not?  Even at 80% of Full Grady, he is better than Reddick/Kalish and certianly the equal of Drew circa 2009/2010.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sizemore contacted by Sox : Bottom line Hugh.  Of course he is a gamble.  Can't be 100% that he is not "injury prone" or that he will return to full productivity.  but, at the right price, why not?  Even at 80% of Full Grady, he is better than Reddick/Kalish and certianly the equal of Drew circa 2009/2010.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Exactly!  for the type of talent he brings to the table I see no reason to not take the gamble.......for the right price.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sizemore contacted by Sox : Exactly!  for the type of talent he brings to the table I see no reason to not take the gamble.......for the right price.
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

MRI...will tell the story on Sizemore. If he's sufficiantly healed and the doctors see no signs of this being a chronic problem. He might be amenable to signing an incentive ladden deal with an opt out based on performance and hgames played similar to Beltre...the question is will he sign with a team that sees him as part of a platoon (doubtful), rather I would think he'd like to go somewhere where he's garanteed a spot in the everyday lineup...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

If they sign Sizemore, it may be the stupidest thing they have ever done & we all know they have done some stupid things.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Yeah Sizemore will save us. Get real and do not waste the money on this clown. Please we are not paupers and do not need an injury prone player who will sign on the cheap. Did we not learn anything with Smoltz, Penney, and Baldelli.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

Yeah, sick of hearing Sizemore listed as "injury prone"  the guy had microfracture surgery in 2010 and was still recovering through 2011,  he is not injury "prone". this type of surgery can take as long if not longer to get over than ACL reconstruction, if he can get his knee in shape ( he now has had enough time and will have the rest of the winter) there is nothing wrong with signing a real gamer type player, very pedroia like with tenacity.  If you dont like him for the sox because of him hitting lefty, thats one thing, put dont use his knee injury as a "crutch" ( yes pun intended ) for your argument.  BTW since when has a player needed speed to play for the sox, its not taken advantage of anyway.

I like him over others that have been mentioned,  Beltran, Cuddyer, willingham etc, etc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Like I keep saying, I don't mind getting Sizemore if there's somebody else in front of him. Get him, get Beltran or someone like him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I agree with Medic Re. Sizemore---he gives the Sox an additional dirt dog and someone that can play all OF positions and DH. Platoon him with Youk as DH when he's not playing RF.

That's reassuring to hear that info about his injury.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I like Sizemore as a 4th OF/Platoon DH, provided they sign another Outfielder such as Michael Cuddyer.  I could invision this rotation vs. RHP.
    Day 1: 3B: Youk RF: Cuddyer DH Sizemore
    Day 2: 3B Cuddyer RF: Sizemore DH: Youk
    Day 3: 3B: Aviles/Lowrie RF: Cuddyer DH: Youk
    When Cuddyer needs rest: 3B: Aviles/Lowrie RF: Sizemore DH: Youk

Against LHP, the team should just DH Lavarnaway full time.

Assuming about 3/4 of the games the Sox face RHP, and Sizemore plays in 2/3 of them, Sizemore would play in roughly 80-90 games, which should keep him healthy and productive.  In this rotation, Youk would only have to play the field for around 60-70 games, keeping him healthy as well.  Lavarnaway mauls LHP, and putting him in against Lefties is a good idea as well.  By letting Ortiz go, we can use the DH spot to keep players healthier.  I also imagine this platoon should closely replicate Ortiz's production.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, sick of hearing Sizemore listed as "injury prone"  the guy had microfracture surgery in 2010 and was still recovering through 2011,  he is not injury "prone". this type of surgery can take as long if not longer to get over than ACL reconstruction, if he can get his knee in shape ( he now has had enough time and will have the rest of the winter) there is nothing wrong with signing a real gamer type player, very pedroia like with tenacity.  If you dont like him for the sox because of him hitting lefty, thats one thing, put dont use his knee injury as a "crutch" ( yes pun intended ) for your argument.  BTW since when has a player needed speed to play for the sox, its not taken advantage of anyway. I like him over others that have been mentioned,  Beltran, Cuddyer, willingham etc, etc.
    Posted by Medic87[/QUOTE]
    I completely agree with you but i would like to point out that his being lefty is not such a big deal. If we get him to play right field and a righty to dh then we are already more right handed than last year. Also Lowrie and Aviles both hit lefties well so it would not matter as much, especially if the right handed hitter could play outfield

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah Sizemore will save us. Get real and do not waste the money on this clown. Please we are not paupers and do not need an injury prone player who will sign on the cheap. Did we not learn anything with Smoltz, Penney, and Baldelli.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

So, being that we are not paupers, you suggest that we should through royal-calibre money at ...