Small Ball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Small Ball

An incredible victory! Yet there is one question I have: if there was ever a time for small ball it was in the top of the 8th after Drew singled and got to 2nd on Hunter's misplay of the ball. We were up 1-0 with a guy on second and noone out with Middlebrooks at the plate. Now Middlebrooks is not exactly hitting the cover off of the ball and Cabrera can hardly move at 3rd. Shouldn't we be thinking of an insurance run and either bunt him over or hit the ball right side? Whatever happens to the concept of "productive out"?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toocool9090. Show toocool9090's posts

Re: Small Ball

I thought the same thing and was screaming at the TV. The only problem is that Farrell said it is not that easy to bunt a 96 MPH fastball...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

No guarantee of contact against Verlander.  Farrell decided the better shot was Middlebrooks swinging away.  Farrell isn't averse to small ball but each situation is different.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

And if a major leaguer can't bunt, then send him down to learn

And in the meantime, send up Boggy or Nava to bunt

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No guarantee of contact against Verlander.  Farrell decided the better shot was Middlebrooks swinging away.  Farrell isn't averse to small ball but each situation is different.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The Sox already had a runner in scoring position. Contrary the view of many posters, bunting isn't an easy skill. I would like to see Ellsbury bunt a bit more -- not necessarily to sacrifice but to bunt for a base hit -- but  a guy like MIddlebrooks, I want him to practice driving the ball and hitting the other way during batting practice as opposed to practice bunting.

Notice that Leyland didn't try to bunt the runner over in the ninth inning, and that's an instance where Farrell almost certainly would have bunted the runner over unless a guy like Ortiz was at the plate. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Not to many managers are going to bunt with no one outs a man on second. No need to give away an out when the runners already in scoring position...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's not great strategy to bunt there.  You give up an out to move a guy from second to third.   You've got Verlander on the mound who's already struck out 10 including Ellsbury.  There's a good chance Verlander can strike him out or pop him up.  No guarantee at all that Ellsbury can get the runner in even if you do execute the bunt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

People always assume that a bunt will be successful. How about Middlebrooks bunts it too hard and Drew is nailed at third ?   Giving up an out is always a dubious move anyway.  A sac fly is no sure thing, especially against Verlander.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pujols has -0- sacs in his last 6500-7000 ABs.  He should've never been promoted to the pros.

Seriously, most of the league doesn't know how to bunt.  And why would they?  Guys like Pujols, Miggy, Papi, Longoria, Trout, Dunn, etc., go thousands of ABs without a sac.  How would they even know how to bunt?

BTW, your boy Trumbo has -0- career sacs.  Time to demote him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to manosome's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're smarter than Farrell. That's not a dig; you are smarter than Farrell. So am I, but it's really not difficult. Thankfully, the SOX won and Farrell's mistakes are forgiven. SOX have done that a lot this year.

[/QUOTE]

That's ridiculous.  He'll win MOTY hands down.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

People always assume that a bunt will be successful. How about Middlebrooks bunts it too hard and Drew is nailed at third ?   Giving up an out is always a dubious move anyway.  A sac fly is no sure thing, especially against Verlander.

[/QUOTE]

A regular sac is no sure thing either.  He's only given up two sac bunts this year, and several sources have said he is very tough to bunt against.  Sometimes it is best to assume that, if all 30 managers think the same way, there might be a reason for it.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

I think they should have tried to bunt based on the way they were hitting Verlander.  It might not have worked, but with the lead it was worth a try.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're smarter than Farrell. That's not a dig; you are smarter than Farrell. So am I, but it's really not difficult. Thankfully, the SOX won and Farrell's mistakes are forgiven. SOX have done that a lot this year.

[/QUOTE]

That's ridiculous.  He'll win MOTY hands down.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you're right, Joe, but i wouldn't vote for him. The main thing is the SOX won and hopefully they will continue to win no matter what Farrell does or doesn't do.

[/QUOTE]

I question some of his moves but he should get MOTY for sure.  Who else could get it?  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think they should have tried to bunt based on the way they were hitting Verlander.  It might not have worked, but with the lead it was worth a try.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Most here responded that Middlebrooks can't bunt. Have they ever heard of a pinch hitter?

[/QUOTE]

Will did have a sacrifice bunt this year.  I remember watching it.  He can do it apparently.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Middlebrooks has one career sac bunt.  He has one in the minors as well.

Bogaerts has 3 sac bunts, all in the minors.

Nava has 6 career sac bunts and 4 more in the minors.

With Verlander on the mound, might as well let these guys do what got them here, which is clearly not bunting.

Quintin Berry had 6 sac bunts last year in Detroit.  He is the bench "expert"...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

An incredible victory! Yet there is one question I have: if there was ever a time for small ball it was in the top of the 8th after Drew singled and got to 2nd on Hunter's misplay of the ball. We were up 1-0 with a guy on second and noone out with Middlebrooks at the plate. Now Middlebrooks is not exactly hitting the cover off of the ball and Cabrera can hardly move at 3rd. Shouldn't we be thinking of an insurance run and either bunt him over or hit the ball right side? Whatever happens to the concept of "productive out"?

[/QUOTE]

With a runner already in scoring position no manager is going to waste an out to move the runner over to third. Dumb move. 

Hetch

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What Mistake ??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With a runner already in scoring position no manager is going to waste an out to move the runner over to third. Dumb move. 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I have to agree with trouts.  If Drew is bunted over, the infield comes in.  THAT makes it worth giving up an out for.

Thr trouble is, Middlebrooks cannot really be counted on to sacrifice bunt...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What Mistake ?? And you think you are smarter than Farrel. Then why aren't you managing a big league club instead of playing back seat manager. And you wouldn't vote for Farrel. He just took a mess of a team from 69 wins to the best record in MLB and you can't even appreciate what he's done with this team. I guess you must be like some who thought Tito had nothing to do with winning the WS in 2004, that he was just at the right place and time. You gotta be kidding. 

Hetch

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pujols has -0- sacs in his last 6500-7000 ABs.  He should've never been promoted to the pros.

Seriously, most of the league doesn't know how to bunt.  And why would they?  Guys like Pujols, Miggy, Papi, Longoria, Trout, Dunn, etc., go thousands of ABs without a sac.  How would they even know how to bunt?

BTW, your boy Trumbo has -0- career sacs.  Time to demote him.

[/QUOTE]

Please tell me someone is not infatuated with Trumbo as some sort of solution to a struggling offense.  On the Sox, Trumbo would be batting ninth.

Trumbo (.250 / .299 / .469, 19.5PA/HR) is Will Middlebrooks (.254 / .294 / .462, 20.6PA/HR)  but with massive defensive issues.  Middlebrooks is hitting ninth on this team.   So who wants Trumbo to replace the 9-spot hitter?

The only team that should be looking to acquire Trumbo is a Fantasy Baseball Team, because all the failed experiments to find a position for this guy have turned him into a player who is eligible to plug into any lineup at any time.