So far it is now quiet...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

So far it is now quiet...

With the hype during FA time and possible trades so far what i read about who may a future Red Sox player :

Beltran seems to be the OF the sox mngt. wants to sign. If Ellsbury leaves then beltran is the one i think will be the one to get sign. If the red Sox want some extra speed another base stealer then Rajai Davis a former blue jay that can be a replacment for ellsbury.

McCann rumours are also silent in red sox nation. Salty still wanting multi year deal.

Drew is the best and most stable resign to do first, adding more depth in the middle infield.with a weak bat he can make up with his defense skills.

For the dreaded 1B issues obviously Napoli is the first one to sign. Along with the newest rumour Corey Hart an remended ball player an OF and 1B position player. The long shot 1B player that can be is J. Morneau downfall injury prone.

Hanarahan is also coming off an injured year. Betancourt is what the Sox can use in the pen.

OF Gomes, Nava, Bradley Jr., Victorino, ( Davis  or Beltran ) would be a good FA signing.

3B Middlebrooks and Boaegarts so far that is sealed. Once Boegarts owns 3B position then Middlebrooks can be on the trade bubble for any help the sox need during regular season.

SS Sign Drew and Boaegarts to back up.

2B Pedroia ? for a back up

1B Carp and resign Napoli, if can't see if J. Morneau has a affordable price tag.

C Ross and Mccann reuniting would be a good tangent behind the plate.

Not a bad batting line up:

Davis Victorino Peds Papi Napoli Mccann (Middlebrooks/Boaegarts) (Gomes/Nava) Bradley Jr.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: So far it is now quiet...

DAD & BILL-806 have been on VACATION  !!!!  We are meeting with BEN, today !!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's all quiet on the baseball front..............

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Not only Red Sox are quiet, most other 28 teams are quiet too especially the Yankees.  If there are so many available free agents, why arent the yankees buying them?  That is their way for years?  Guess the Yankees seem to not to do this way anymore and waiting for the asking prices to go down.  That is what the REd Sox are doing!!  Take their time and hope the asking price goes down.  Red Sox do not have to hurry cuz if they need SS, they already got one.  If they need CF, they got one (eventhought I may not like Bradley, but better than nothing).  1b is always easy to find.

Dont worry, kid!!  They will be fine!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think McCann could be good signing if Ben is willing for commitment.  Good team guy, veteran catcher who can lead pitching staff with Ross (we will have young guns coming up very soon), McCann is also willing to learn 1B and spend times at DH also.  He will obviously require big contract but if he's willing to do these things to maximize his value to contribute, I think he should be closely looked at.  He would probably command 5yr $75-85M but if he turns out to be good 1B guy, he should be a bargain 1B at $15-17M per yr compare to some of other 1Bs are earning. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not only Red Sox are quiet, most other 28 teams are quiet too especially the Yankees.  If there are so many available free agents, why arent the yankees buying them?  That is their way for years?  Guess the Yankees seem to not to do this way anymore and waiting for the asking prices to go down.  That is what the REd Sox are doing!!  Take their time and hope the asking price goes down.  Red Sox do not have to hurry cuz if they need SS, they already got one.  If they need CF, they got one (eventhought I may not like Bradley, but better than nothing).  1b is always easy to find.

Dont worry, kid!!  They will be fine!!

[/QUOTE] The Yanks(and Sox to a degree) were somewhat middle of the pack in offseason moves last year, they were pretty low key the year they signed Grandy also,  i think you can also throw in that although talented, the pool as a whole isn't  patricularly deep this time around

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This is the way I look at it the Sox have 4 positions to fill.

C, 1B, SS, and CF.  

They have young players who are either ready or very close to ready who can fill right in at CF/SS in Bogaerts Bradley.

They have internal options for 1B and C but nothing that is spectacular.

My guess is the Sox are willing to lose one draft pick to go out and get a known commodity for either 1B/C/OF that will mitigate the rest of their decisions.

For example, they may feel inclined to dish out the money on McCann.  They will get a known commodity that will improve their defense and offense behind the plate and should either eliminate or mitigate any lost production in CF/1B.

I can see them having a similar philosophy with Carlos beltran, and Mike Napoli.

My guess is the Sox sign one of those guys.

MCCANN, NAPOLI, BELTRAN.  I'd be surprised if they didn't sign one of those guys, but I'd also be surprised if they sign more than one. 

initially I didn't want to sign ANY free agents with draft pick compensation tied to them, but at this point I'd be willing to lose one.  As if stands right now we have the 31st pick in the draft.  Now, when teams lose their 1st round draft picks I fully anticipate that to go down to the 28-30 range.  The 3 picks we net will go in between the 1st and second round and seeing how we pick last in the first round we would drop very few spots until we actually pick if we lose our 1st rounder.   Yes we would end up with 3 picks in between the 1st and second, or we would end up with the 28th-30th pick + 2 picks in between the first two rounds.

To me that is not as drastic as lets say, the Yankees going out and signing Brian McCann.  They will lose the 18th pick and likely drop down 12-15 places from picking up a pick if they lose Cano.

In other words: I'm more inclined to go out and sign a guy as opposed to bringing back our own guys attached to compensation. EDIT: If they are a better fit/value that is. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I got the new rules. Teams lose their pick totally.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I figure he is doing smart thing and wait, to see what teams are in on our Free Agents. We got 30th pick this year, say Yanks go after Drew, we get the 18th Pick, Lets just say Breweres sign Napoli, we get the 12th pick. Now you can, go for a Free Agent lose the 30th pick knowing we got 2 picks that are higher.

Even Texas, they snag Ellsbury, we get their 22nd pick. The smart teams that are protected for the 1st round should go after the better Free Agents. (QO Free Agents.)

[/QUOTE]

sorry crazy

it doesn't work that way anymore

all comp picks are sandwich picks now

with teams with the best record picking last

other than being a tad less intriguing

not that big of a deal IMO

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/20763514/how-the-new-free-agent-compensation-system-works

If a team makes such a qualifying offer to an outgoing free agent and the free agent signs elsewhere, then his former team will receive a sandwich draft pick between the first and second rounds. The signing team, meanwhile, will forfeit its first-round choice -- unless it's a top-10 pick, in which case the team would give up a second-round pick. The lost picks don't go to any other team; rather, the teams behind the vanished pick all slide up a slot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Thanks, I read it wrong. So if thats case, I wouldn't want to lose even the 30th pick. Since there are 13 Free Agents with QO's, you have a chance of getting a real good pick (prospect), because they will slide down.
    Forget  Beltran.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

Thanks, I read it wrong. So if thats case, I wouldn't want to lose even the 30th pick. Since there are 13 Free Agents with QO's, you have a chance of getting a real good pick (prospect), because they will slide down.
    Forget  Beltran.

[/QUOTE]

while many agree with you

not me

if beltran was on my wish list

I'd give up 1 of my 4 picks in a ny minute

bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marioguy424. Show Marioguy424's posts

I've been on this forum for a while, but I feel the need to ask something- just who is this DAD that Bill is always talking about?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

We try not to talk about that so as not to embarrass Bill, even though he is a Big pain in the arm

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We try not to talk about that so as not to embarrass Bill, even though he is a Big pain in the arm

[/QUOTE]

That's a BINGO!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's a BINGO!!!!

[/QUOTE]

The problem is Dad is Bill, but Bill answers for Dad--he is just about ready to reply so you won't have much longer to wait. You know in the Home they wake them up before a shift change--so it's about time...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Some options:

1B------Loney/ Hart--Trade for Moreland-----Travis Shaw with PawSox or WMB

SS------Aybar/ or resign Drew--a second year in Boston and we may see a better bat to match his D.

CF------Davis would be an inexpensive option/ a DH/ PH/ PR/Defensive replacement/JBJ/ Vic

C-------Hannigan/Ross   with Butler or Lavarnway call-up--Vazquez gets a full year with PawSox.

We have lots of trade options. Picking up Badenhop was a stealth move---may be a set-up for Ue.

Possibly trade Peavy and slide Taz or Workman  into the rotation.

If we trade Lackey it should be for something we really need. Guys with a 3.52 ERA, 29 starts and 189 Inn don't grow on trees. Perhaps Lackey, Lavarnway/Butler and WMB/Brock Holt to the A's for Lowrie (in his walk year--I think) , Moss and a prospect--Or some combo.

Moneyball might like Holt as a SS replacement to go with Punto. He  might like that he gets a veteran pitcher like Lackey on the cheap for a couple of years that has had success pitching in Oakland. Also a back-up catcher that Melvin might be able to develop so he can flip one of his existing catchers. If he chooses WMB instead of Holt the prospect needs to be a good one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Forget  Beltran.

[/QUOTE]

Whats the difference at that point in the draft between the 30th pick or the 33rd pick? The Sox can afford to pick up a FA with a QO attached and maybe slide down a couple spots. Obviously the player has to make sense in both years and $$.

Beltran at no more than 2years wouldnt bother me.

McCann should not be a consideration

Hart could net us a draft pick if he has a good year coming off Knee surgeries and play 1b/OF. I also dont mind Naps on a 2yr deal, maybe a 3rd option year if the price is right.

Navarro makes sense for 2 years catching if Salty wont do it. If we dont have to part with much for Hanigan, then maybe him too. Just need a 2yr stop gap there. If they passed on Ruiz for 3years, I think they have made their point on hoiw they feel about their young catchers.

Bogey will NOT be shuffled from SS to 3b, he will play SS and Middy will play 3b.

No need to resign Drew. get the draft pick and be done with it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Sox next pick is 41, providing they dont sign another Free Agent, with QO.

With that 30th pick you have a good chance at grabbing a top 15 talent. EXCELLENT chance at grabbing top 20.

Are the Compensation picks protected? I read that they are not. So Sox sign Beltran they lose the 30th pick, then say they sign McCann they lose the 41st pick. Next 2 picks are the Sox 42, 43.
    Seattle signs Ellsbury we get the 32nd pick? If thats the case I agree with you. Thats why I think Ben is waithing to see what happens for the picks. Smart.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

[QUOTE]

Forget  Beltran.

while many agree with you

not me

if beltran was on my wish list

I'd give up 1 of my 4 picks in a ny minute

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Zac, I disagree with you, the Yanks are not in position anymore to lose picks, and keep going the Free Agent route. If Free Agent doesn't have QO, then go for it. Keep losing Picks, you'll be in same boat you are in now, 3 years from now.
    37 year old Free Agent wont turn it aound.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

With that 30th pick you have a good chance at grabbing a top 15 talent. EXCELLENT chance at grabbing top 20.

Are the Compensation picks protected? I read that they are not. So Sox sign Beltran they lose the 30th pick, then say they sign McCann they lose the 41st pick. Next 2 picks are the Sox 42, 43.
    Seattle signs Ellsbury we get the 32nd pick? If thats the case I agree with you. Thats why I think Ben is waithing to see what happens for the picks. Smart.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think you can lose a comp pick. You would lose your 1st, then 2nd round pick, and so on.

Henry Owens 36th  JBJ 40th  Ranaudo 39th Workman 57th Brentz 36th Buchholz 42nd and lots of good talent in round 2 like Masterson and Lester.

Lots of players drop due to injuries that year or signability issues. Id have no issue signing a player and not pick until 41 if its a smart move.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dont think you can lose a comp pick. You would lose your 1st, then 2nd round pick, and so on.

Henry Owens 36th  JBJ 40th  Ranaudo 39th Workman 57th Brentz 36th Buchholz 42nd and lots of good talent in round 2 like Masterson and Lester.

Lots of players drop due to injuries that year or signability issues. Id have no issue signing a player and not pick until 41 if its a smart move.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it depends on the pick and the FA.  If it is the #15 pick, and you think it is worth $6M, then a 3-year contract for Beltran just went from $13M to $15M.  That is somewhat significant.  If it is the #30 pick, and it's worth $3M, and you're looking at Ellsbury for 6 years, then the cost maybe went from $20M per to $20.5M, and that is a whole lot less significant.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Sorry Zac, I disagree with you, the Yanks are not in position anymore to lose picks, and keep going the Free Agent route. If Free Agent doesn't have QO, then go for it. 

just 2 be clear I said IF beltran was on my wish list

not sure how I feel about him , right now 

I'm thinking I'd rather sign grandy and lose that pick

but we still  disagree on the value of a 1st round pick

when you have still 3 sandwich picks coming

not that we will, I figure they sign either grandy or cano

personally I'm not convinced the lack of help from the nyy minors

is all about where they draft

Keep losing Picks, you'll be in same boat you are in now, 3 years from now.

seems a tad harsh for a team that was in the alcs last yr

it's not going to take much to improve on this yrs production from a few postions

IMO it's not really a question of the FA turning things around

more of a question if he makes us better  NOW

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Hey Mad, Saturday the shift change is later.  They let them sleep in, after crazy canasta Friday night

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

( That is 4 Bill, I think dad may have gone 4 the Big Sleep in reality)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry Zac, I disagree with you, the Yanks are not in position anymore to lose picks, and keep going the Free Agent route. If Free Agent doesn't have QO, then go for it. 

just 2 be clear I said IF beltran was on my wish list

not sure how I feel about him , right now 

I'm thinking I'd rather sign grandy and lose that pick

but we still  disagree on the value of a 1st round pick

when you have still 3 sandwich picks coming

not that we will, I figure they sign either grandy or cano

personslly I'm not convinced the lack of help from the nyy minors

is all about where they draft

Keep losing Picks, you'll be in same boat you are in now, 3 years from now.

seems a tad harsh for a team that was in the alcs last yr

it's not going to take much to improve on this yrs production from a few postions

IMO it's not really a question of the FA turning things around

more of a question if he makes us better  NOW

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees can definitely be in the mix next year with the right moves, especially if Kuroda decides not to go back to Japan.  I suppose that he could also consider the Angels or Dodgers since his kids go to school in LA, but there are whispers that he is leaning towards going home, so the Yankees could obviously have a lot of quality innings to replace between Kuroda & Pettitte...