So now I'm supposed to love Lackey and Matsuzaka because of two great games? Hell no, how about they do it for a full year like theyre supposed to

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

Re: So now I'm supposed to love Lackey and Matsuzaka because of two great games? Hell no, how about they do it for a full yea...

In Response to Re: So now I'm supposed to love Lackey and Matsuzaka because of two great games? Hell no, how about they do it for a full year like theyre supposed to:
    [QUOTE]What Idiots like Fireballer do not understand is that during the course of a baseball season players go through periods where they play great and other times where they struggle. How quickly they adapt and make corrections will determine how much success their total season will be. Little things like a hangnail can alter their performance enough to where the average viewer will scream bloody murder and demand a trade for what they believe is either a lack of trying or that suddenly the skills have left the player. Many times a hitter is going great, hitting everything in sight only to have little to show for it as his hits go right at somebody. Another problem is the feeling of entitlement by the fans because of the money we spend. If you do not like the product then move on and don’t waste everybody else’s time with your crying. This is a game, played by men where out of 32 teams there can be only one champion each year. If you plan on getting emotionally involved, great, but expect more disappointment from the outcome at the end of the season. From that disappointment will grow expectations as the new season draws nearer and if all you want to do is analyze then you are in for the rollercoaster of your life. Most of all enjoy the game and let the experts who run the team do their job because whether you know it or not they are a lot smarter than most of the fans and have knowledge of things that we do not that can make or break a season.  
    Posted by taz1956[/QUOTE]

A super great post and perception.  Many here forget to enjoy the journey since they feel entitled and see a loss in the playoffs as total failure. Doesn't that remind you of fans of the "evil Empire"? I enjoy every game and don't take any player or the team for granted. The salary that a player gets may be somewhat correlated with expected performance but don't bank on it. Injuries happen and players may have a poor season. They don't owe us anything since we are just fans and not stockholders.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: So now I'm supposed to love Lackey and Matsuzaka because of two great games? Hell no, how about they do it for a full yea...

In Response to Re: So now I'm supposed to love Lackey and Matsuzaka because of two great games? Hell no, how about they do it for a full year like theyre supposed to:
    [QUOTE]How about just rooting for their success because they play for the Red Sox? 
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]

HEART AND SOUL OF THE MATTER, SHERIFF!!!

HEART AND SOUL!!!!   BRAVO!  BRAVO!! BRAVO!!!!!!

CANNOT BE SAID BETTER!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]dice k was 18-3 and was 4th in the cy young his second year...he has done it all year before...just be happy and enjoy this crazy starting pitching we are having...less than 1 era the last eight games or so
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Geo,

I am glad to give you props here!  Supah!  The ENTIRE post is great.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]There's at least two types of people here: -The ones who root for the team first, and cheer on all the players; hence if Player A is doing poorly, they continue to support him and hope for better things, and when Player A starts doing well again they celebrate his success; vs... -The ones who are more haters than fans, who pick certain players to beat up on because they haven't met their expectations - so when Player A starts doing well, they still feel the need to bash him in order to justify themselves, rather than feeling good over his recent success with everyone else. They call themselves "real fans" for doing this. Pretty clear which one the OP is.
    Posted by Flapjack07[/QUOTE]

Flapjack  ... very well said.  RED SOX UBER ALLUS!!!! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]What Idiots like Fireballer do not understand is that during the course of a baseball season players go through periods where they play great and other times where they struggle. How quickly they adapt and make corrections will determine how much success their total season will be. Little things like a hangnail can alter their performance enough to where the average viewer will scream bloody murder and demand a trade for what they believe is either a lack of trying or that suddenly the skills have left the player. Many times a hitter is going great, hitting everything in sight only to have little to show for it as his hits go right at somebody. Another problem is the feeling of entitlement by the fans because of the money we spend. If you do not like the product then move on and don’t waste everybody else’s time with your crying. This is a game, played by men where out of 32 teams there can be only one champion each year. If you plan on getting emotionally involved, great, but expect more disappointment from the outcome at the end of the season. From that disappointment will grow expectations as the new season draws nearer and if all you want to do is analyze then you are in for the rollercoaster of your life. Most of all enjoy the game and let the experts who run the team do their job because whether you know it or not they are a lot smarter than most of the fans and have knowledge of things that we do not that can make or break a season.  
    Posted by taz1956[/QUOTE]

Great post, Taz. You show GREAT promise!!! And Natick-Ned .... great response, too!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I simply do not care for Lackey, but Dice-K I am an optimist on.  Here the thread bearer does not want to love either after "two great games" but he was pre-ready to destroy both after two poor games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]The real question is this. Is Fireballer being skeptical or is he just craving attention?
    Posted by Soxchemistry[/QUOTE]
    Well, you know how teenagers are.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox have won 8 out of their last 9 games and some of you are still bashing them?   Did some of you just had a bad weekend?   Bruins won, Celtics won, etc. come on guys.    
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

...  it isn't the teams.  They are ticked because their ice cream melted.  :o)

I'm trying hard to give them a way out....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: So now I'm supposed to love Lackey and Matsuzaka because of two great games? Hell no, how about they do it for a full year like theyre supposed to : Wow what a shortsighted statement. So you just love everyone and everything Red Sox? Sounds like something my sister would say. Everyone on this board is acting like they've somehow been assured that these guys have both completely turned it around and will be great pitchers from here on out of their contracts... I'd expect a little more from you losmediasrojas...
    Posted by fireballer58[/QUOTE]

Speaking of shortsighted, you were one on the posters last season who said Papi was done after his slow start in 2010. Care to readdress your position on Papi?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

1. jesus Im NOT a teenager 2. how am I not a fan like you guys said? All Im saying is a couple great starts doesnt erase the face that theyve struggled like hell for over a year... What Im saying is this doesnt mean they're going 7 strong every time out now. jesus you guys really must not deal with failure well

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Maybe you should change your profile, then.
    Of course they're not going to go seven strong every time out. Name a pitcher in MLB history who did.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Bob Gibson, 1968.  Allowed 4 ERs in only two of his 34 starts.  One was a 9 inning CG victory, the other was an 11 inning no decision.  He had 28 complete games, a 22-9 record, an incredible 1.12 ERA and 0.85 WHIP.

But to score your point.  Three years earlier he had given up 34 HRs, and 7 years earlier he had a WHIP of 1.44.  And yet, in each of those years he won more games than he lost and kept his ERA under 4.00.  Thus, he is in the hall of fame.  No one here is claiming Lackey or Dice-K is anywhere near as good as Bob Gibson, if they were, they would be payed in excess of 22 million a year, and probably pitching in NY.  But even a great pitcher like Gibson has his bad years and bad games.  And those bad games and even years do not take away from his overall accomplishments. 

The measure of a pitcher's greatness is his ability to win games consistently year after year.  Both Dice-K and Lackey have been doing that.  I have every reason to expect they will continue to do so, provided they are healthy.  And since winning more than losing is the name of the game, I expect both to contribute to the Sox winning more games than they lose.

Overall, Dice-K has been decent.  Look at his record.  Lackey has not only been decent, but very consistent.  He is about 1 point higher in ERA than Gibson was.  Considering that Lackey has pitched in the steroid era, that is not too shabby at all.  To paint either of these guys as busts is simply wanting to hate on somebody (because of his contract?) without real justification.

That said, if the Sox are to win it all, both need to pitch more like their last two starts and far less like their first two.  That much is for sure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

taz,
    your post is spot on! best post I have read since before frank from glawwwstahhh
    lost his mind which was probably when tv was only black and white.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbosoxfaninny. Show bigbosoxfaninny's posts

They both suck. So does Beckett, Jenks, and the rest of them. None of them are worth millions of dollars.

Theo is stupid and Francona should offiicially change his given name to "FranCOMA." Yep .. we should tell John Henry to sell the team to the trustee of Frank McCourt. That would make sense. 

While we are at it.... Fenway Park sucks, the entire city of Boston sucks.. let's throw in the airport and that stupid hockey team.

As for me.. I am just going to enjoy the ride and savor the victories. I think we are stacked! Chill out and stop being the GM of anger and doubt. I am pretty sure the job doesn't pay much.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

I did hear that there was a game in Baltimore tonight. Should be fun. I do understand Fireballers point. I dont think he is dissing the pitchers, he just wants to see it more consistant. That said im with all the guys here that have pointed out it's a great thing to be able to wake up everyday and be excited about their favorite team. Many of us lived through the bad times (and trust me it was bad), but we hung in there and loved our team, supported our players (no matter how bad they played on a  given day). I think that some today are spoiled by the success this team has enjoyed over the last 8-10 years. I've said it many times here, I just love the game and love our team. My favorite ballplayers are always those who come through the sytem and make a carrer with the home team. But heck, if my team was KC, id still love em no matter what, ya see, I'm a fan of the game. It's a beautiful thing isn't it?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I think the point being missed on this thread is that it's not about how much you love the Red Sox. It's about whether someone should start a thread demanding the apology of anyone who criticized DiceK in the past. That (and similar threads) are just "real fan KoolAid test" junk. It's possible to root for Dice K hard and still post a critical comment when he turns in an exasperating performance. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

[QUOTE]soxchemistry youre a moron... youd have to be a complete loser if you were to seek attention on an internet message board. and losmedias, you clearly dont care about baseball and the sox much if you think that criticism is never necessary... learn to be a real fan. hows venezuela
    Posted by fireballer58[/QUOTE]

Their is no need to criticize now anyway. They are pitching well now and while I agree that it doesnt make up for a year of sh!t pitching(yet), it bodes well for the team you root for this season. They are pitching lights out right now and are on form. Dice-k and Lacky have both pitched well before and you cant argue otherwise so It's not a fluke. They are pitching to potential now and hopefully the do so all season (which will make up for a year of sh!t pitching). Cant we just enjoy the 5 game win streak and the .88 team era (in the past 8). This board seems to be down even when we win and horable to be on when we lose. You dont suffer through a famin, then burn the crops when stuff starts to grow. Chill out

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

[QUOTE]I did hear that there was a game in Baltimore tonight. Should be fun. I do understand Fireballers point. I dont think he is dissing the pitchers, he just wants to see it more consistant. That said im with all the guys here that have pointed out it's a great thing to be able to wake up everyday and be excited about their favorite team. Many of us lived through the bad times (and trust me it was bad), but we hung in there and loved our team, supported our players (no matter how bad they played on a  given day). I think that some today are spoiled by the success this team has enjoyed over the last 8-10 years. I've said it many times here, I just love the game and love our team. My favorite ballplayers are always those who come through the sytem and make a carrer with the home team. But heck, if my team was KC, id still love em no matter what, ya see, I'm a fan of the game. It's a beautiful thing isn't it?
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU finally someone who isnt a dangerously stupid.

redsoxlaxer i agree with you too

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Never ever said we can't be disappointed or bummed out about someone's performance.

DID say you dont' have to act like they stripped you granny naked and gave her a pink belly.  Or something like that.

Dangerous stupidity happily displayed when it is in opposition to unending belittlement.

If being FOR someone is being dangerously stupid, I'm your boy.

I had enough belittlement in school.  Teachers that were burnt out.  Muscle bound, knuckle dragging maroons that were still in 6th grade as they approached draft age, who then thought picking on everyone else was a rite of passage - except they weren't "passaging,"  just failing.  (I'm not even talking about those with learning problems...).  Administrators who thought the best way to get the best out of you was to make you feel like slug slime - or at least try. 

I don't go for the Bobby Knight school of coaching and belittlement.  "The General" has a "great record" - but I wouldn't let anyone I know near the moron. 

I don't go for the need to beat up on a player on my favorite team.  How is that helpful?  How does that show you're on his side?  How does that prove you're gonna be with him for the long haul???  How does verbally dropping a carpet bomb on someone ever make it possible to say, "I was there for ya the whole time" when he or they win the precious crown you/they/we want?

Thus, with dangerously stupid clarity, I call for kudos after a good performance, since beating the hell out of someone is always allowed as a fan's prerogative.  I call for a little balance, after tons of negativity.  WE can ALWAYS find a negative.  I'm trying to get folks to appreciate what/who we've got and enjoy the positive.

But I know I can't get everyone to see that.  I know that after being a Red Sox fan since I was 6 or 7 (7 maybe more true ...), I always cringed when someone sad crappy things about a Red Sox.  I noticed how easy it was for someone to call someone a bum, to boo someone for what the heck ever they wanted.  It's almost like I would stand at the dinner table and boo my mother for the meal she prepared.  Or as a couple of my brothers DID do, complain about the rules we lived under when we were able to vacation on Martha's Vineyard each summer, at the Grand's little cottage.

Funny how that turned out.  They got to come the week or two the whole family was there.  Which should have been plenty.  But since - and I was NOT a perfect kid - I easily accepted the rules and did what I was asked (most of the time) - I had the pleasure of spending as much as another month ... fishing, hob-nobbing with the Portuguese, going to the beach, the harbor, the jetties, the sing a longs at the Tabernacle, the poetry readings up Island ... not a bad time for a poor kid.  Idyllic summers and the Red Sox ... and those little kid crushes that turned into something more ... little strawberry blondes with freckles, tall lithe brunettes that were too old and too ... (I was big for my age, so I was often in the company of older kids ...)    

But you know, a true turn of appreciation instead of a bunch of whining and complaining made all that possible.

Well, I guess I've said enough.

Stay negative, if you want.  If that's what makes you happy.  

I just do't get it.

I'd rather give a guy a pat on the back when he's doing well and a hand up when he's not.

Dangerously stupid.