So, Who Hits 4th Tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

So, Who Hits 4th Tonight?

Assume Big Papi walks at least twice' is on 2 or 3 times. Douple Plays invited. Does Farrell go with Napoli, and hope for the "big ones"? It may sound crazy, but I would move Ellsbury to the 4 hole. Lead off with Victorino, then Pedroia, then Papi, then Ellsbury. Less chance of DP's bring things to a halt. Then bring along Napoli the Kid, etc.

Is that too radical? Or, woukld it pose some questions for the Cardinals brass?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Re: So, Who Hits 4th Tonight?

Yes way too radical. We are up 3-2 not down. Victorino has been terrible why would you lead him off. And why would you put the king of the blooper to left center in the four hole. When is the last time ells drove a ball. Three options: ortiz back in 4th hole, napoli or if you really want to stay out of double play maybe pedey. That being said pedey in four hole would most likely mean vic back in two hole. 

Keep it simple.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Assume Big Papi walks at least twice' is on 2 or 3 times. Douple Plays invited. Does Farrell go with Napoli, and hope for the "big ones"? It may sound crazy, but I would move Ellsbury to the 4 hole. Lead off with Victorino, then Pedroia, then Papi, then Ellsbury. Less chance of DP's bring things to a halt. Then bring along Napoli the Kid, etc.

[/QUOTE]

VERY interesting thought....especially since he's been our second best hitter this post season....but as mentioned....way too radical for a clinching game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottwad. Show scottwad's posts

Pedroia.  Put Papi third. Ortiz needs to be up as much as possible. Afirst inning homer would get in Wachas' head. Then the crowd can take it from there..

Victorino to the nine hole. Bogaerts second.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

God will be hitting 4th.  just as he should be.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We should keep Papi 3rd. I wanted him there all year.

Napoli should bat 4th.

I'd go with Ells and Pedey 1-2.

Drop Victorino to 6th or 7th.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Gotta give Ortiz extra protection and move him up

Ells, Pedey, Ortiz, Naps, Gomes, Vic, Boggy, Ross, Drew

this will force them to pitch to him

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli should bat 4th.

[/QUOTE]
    I'm with you Moon! totally!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottwad. Show scottwad's posts

Per Farrel, Ortiz Third, Nap Fourth Victorino sixth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottwad. Show scottwad's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli should bat 4th.

[/QUOTE]

Did you speak with Farrel about lineup?  Spot on, as always.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Farrell isnt going to change the top five hitters after it have worked out all year along.

Next four batters should be Nava, Bogaerts, Drew and Ross!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to Wolfpack13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes way too radical. We are up 3-2 not down. Victorino has been terrible why would you lead him off. And why would you put the king of the blooper to left center in the four hole. When is the last time ells drove a ball. Three options: ortiz back in 4th hole, napoli or if you really want to stay out of double play maybe pedey. That being said pedey in four hole would most likely mean vic back in two hole. 

Keep it simple.

[/QUOTE]
    Simple is Ortiz hitting 3rd; that's a no-brainer. The proposal was for someone other than Napoli to hit behind Ortiz. That's inviting double plays!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I know this isn't the most popular view....but I would bat Bogaerts 4th and not even blink. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know this isn't the most popular view....but I would bat Bogaerts 4th and not even blink. 

[/QUOTE]

i was thinking bogey 3rd.  see him tee up on some FB's in front of papi.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to Wolfpack13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Keep it simple.

[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury, have you forgotten, was a virtual .300 hitter this season, and was a .400 playoffs hitter coming in to the WS. You are going to use a 5-game sample to say he's going to continue looking like he has been? He's not Stephn Drew, we're talking about here. The whole team (excepting Big Papi) are having their problems, not just Ellsbury.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely insane.  Way, way, way too radical.  And I love it.  Won't happen, but I would love to see it.   Well done. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i was thinking bogey 3rd.  see him tee up on some FB's in front of papi.

[/QUOTE]

It's not like the young guys can't do it, they've done it plenty of times before....heck the guy we are facing. Wacha is a rookie, had his first 3 games this year starting may 30th and after 3 starts didn't become a full timer until august 10th.  Now he's a NLCS MVP and already has 1 win in the world series.  

When you're good....you're good, I honestly believe Bogaerts may be one of our best hitters right now.  Obviously it's wishful thinking at this point but he should be batting higher.  

At least they are playing him though. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely insane.  Way, way, way too radical.  And I love it.  Won't happen, but I would love to see it.   Well done. 

[/QUOTE]

HA! this is one of those ideas that does sound way to insane for a manager to ever try but when actually try to rationalize it, it doesn't sound irrational. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

RED SOX LINEUP

Jacoby Ellsbury, CF

Dustin Pedroia, 2B

David Ortiz, DH

Mike Napoli, 1B

Jonny Gomes, LF

Shane Victorino, RF

Xander Bogaerts, 3B

Stephen Drew, SS

David Ross, C

John Lackey, SP

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I like ortiz hitting 3rd and I am OK with Nap hitting 4th and Vic 6th.....I know that Drew has struggled mightily but he needs to hit 7th....you have to have one lefty to break up all the RHH, if only to force some bullpen moves from the Cards.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Gomes has a .439 career OPS in the postseason, and is barely better this year.  Yes he had one good hit, yes he can be clutch.....but he can't play defense, and I'd rather have his bat to come in and pinch hit for Drew or someone else later in the game.

I'd bat Gomes 7th if he was in there. 

Ellsbury

Pedey

Ortiz

Bogaerts

Napoli

Victorino

Ross

Gomes

Drew. 

With Nava starting I'd probably flip Ross back to the 8th or 9th hole. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My line-up philosophy has always been this (in this order):

1) Start by putting your best all around hitter with power up 3rd.

2) Put your best OBP guy up 1st (if it's close go with speed).

3) Put your next best OBP guy up 2nd, unless he has a lot of power- consider 4th.

4) The next best OPS guy with power should bat 4th.

5) Go by OPS to fill in the rest with the #5 guy having a nice SLG %.

6) When there are close calls go lefty-righty and avoid 3 in a row of one hand.

This year...

1) Papi bats 3rd

2) Ellsbury 1st

3) Pedey or Victorino (vs LHPs) 2nd

4) Napoli or Pedey 4th

5) Nava/Gomes or Napoli

6) Victorino/Nava/Gomes/Salty

7) Salty

8) Drew

9) Middy/Bogey