So, who was your favorite player as a kid?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: So, who was your favorite player as a kid?

The one and only . The greatest. Ted Williams.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from B-4-B. Show B-4-B's posts

Yaz.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to So, who was your favorite player as a kid?:
    [QUOTE]By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff Fred Lynn threw out the first pitch at Fenway on Friday night, zipping it in to Dustin Pedroia as the crowd cheered. I mentioned on Twitter that every kid with a glove in New England in 1975 wanted to be just like Lynn and a bunch of people responded with memories of that season and how he was their favorite player growing up. It seemed like a good idea for a blog post. So, who was your favorite baseball player growing up and why? My short list: 1. Doug Griffin. He was a second baseman 71-77 and was a fishing buddy of Carl Yastrzemski. As a kid, I remember thinking there must be no better life in the world than playing baseball and going fishing with Yaz. 2. George Brett. Thought the Royals had cool uniforms and he was their best player. Plus my dad told me his brother played for the Sox. 3. Jerry Remy. He was Somerset. When Jerry played for the Angels I can remember looking at newspaper box scores and hoping he got a few hits because he was "one of us." 4. Pudge Fisk. There was a time, boys and girls, when baseball players would drive to places and shake hands at car dealerships to make a few extra bucks. Pudge came to George O'Hara Chevrolet in New Bedford one day and I rode my bike to see him and stood in line to get something signed and shake his hand. He looked about eight feet tall. He is at Fenway on occasion and I always want to ask him if he remembers going to New Bedford. But he still looks eight feet tall.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]
    Mickey Mantle

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from littledoug1. Show littledoug1's posts

Ted Williams, Jimmy Piersall and Charlie Maxwell

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

Joe Pepitone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: So, who was your favorite player as a kid?:
    [QUOTE]The one and only . The greatest. Ted Williams.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

I highly reccommend his bio by Leigh Montville.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

George Scott

Bernie Carbo

Dewey

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: So, who was your favorite player as a kid?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: So, who was your favorite player as a kid? : He would have worn a BOS uniform if it wasn't for Bowie Kuhn; who could forget that catch in the '72 Series.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I would have like to have had Fingers, but the Sox already had Yaz, Rice, Cooper and Carbo at LF-1B-DH, so I never got how Rudi would fit in.

I guess he would have gotten Cooper's playing time. Of course, Rudi did get to the Sox in 1981. He's also an example of players declining all of a sudden when they hit 30.

1976 was his last really good year. 13 HR, 94, RBI, .270 BA. He was 29. He never again batted .270 or better. Never had an OPS higher than the .747 he ahd that year in a full season. (He had a .829 OPS in 1977 but was hurt and played just in just 64 games. He was on pace to have one of his best  years, however).

He was decent in 1978 17-79-.256, .711 OPS then never played more than 104 games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

My first glove was a Whitey Ford and my first bat was a Mickey Mantle who were my favorite players, but I respected guys like Hank Aaron, Harmon Killebrew, Al Kaline, Duke Snider and Willie Mays some of whom were frequent competitors on an old baseball TV show called "Home Run Derby." 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukebusy. Show lukebusy's posts

I am surprised nobody has said Dr. Strangeglove.  Dick Stuart.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Don't tell pike, but it was Eric Davis.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Man what a talent E was......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: So, who was your favorite player as a kid?": [QUOTE]Man what a talent E was...... Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE] Yeah, if not for the injuries he'd have been a lock hofer with at least 500 HR.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenitoMyHero. Show BenitoMyHero's posts

Pedro Martinez.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

well, I'd say 400 HR's but he would have finished in the Top 10 Stolen Base Leaders of All Time....w/ perhaps the best % Rate of all time??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Roger Clemens.

I was heart-broken when he signed with Toronto in 1997.

My late father took me to Fenway in 1997 when the Red Sox faced Clemens and the Blue Jays.  It was so strange to see Clemens in a Blue Jays uniform.  He struck out 16 that game. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Babe Ruth...no, only kidding !!! But I am a Septuagenarian and a former Marine so it had to be "the Splendid Splinter" who also was an Ace Marine pilot in WW2 & Korea !

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Yaz. Named after Ted Williams but too young to have seen him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to "Re: So, who was your favorite player as a kid?": [QUOTE]  I loved Yas, Kline, And clemente.   They all Played for one team, and  played the game the right way. They were always a joy to watch. Posted by bosox2480[/QUOTE] You mean Kaline?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

My first favorite player growing up was the incomparable Roberto Clemente. God, he was great. Most amazing arm in MLB history. Cried my eyes out when I heard the horrible news.

I didn't become a Red Sox fan until '78 (if I could handle that, I could handle anything), and it was because of another right fielder with a cannon for a right arm. (Plus a cool mustache and eye black).

Roberto and Dewey ... my first two favorite players.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Wake!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to So, who was your favorite player as a kid?:
    [QUOTE]By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff Fred Lynn threw out the first pitch at Fenway on Friday night, zipping it in to Dustin Pedroia as the crowd cheered. I mentioned on Twitter that every kid with a glove in New England in 1975 wanted to be just like Lynn and a bunch of people responded with memories of that season and how he was their favorite player growing up. It seemed like a good idea for a blog post. So, who was your favorite baseball player growing up and why? My short list: 1. Doug Griffin. He was a second baseman 71-77 and was a fishing buddy of Carl Yastrzemski. As a kid, I remember thinking there must be no better life in the world than playing baseball and going fishing with Yaz. 2. George Brett. Thought the Royals had cool uniforms and he was their best player. Plus my dad told me his brother played for the Sox. 3. Jerry Remy. He was Somerset. When Jerry played for the Angels I can remember looking at newspaper box scores and hoping he got a few hits because he was "one of us." 4. Pudge Fisk. There was a time, boys and girls, when baseball players would drive to places and shake hands at car dealerships to make a few extra bucks. Pudge came to George O'Hara Chevrolet in New Bedford one day and I rode my bike to see him and stood in line to get something signed and shake his hand. He looked about eight feet tall. He is at Fenway on occasion and I always want to ask him if he remembers going to New Bedford. But he still looks eight feet tall.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Idiot,

Staying perfectly on theme, a rarity, I know ...

mine is self explanatory.

Yaz!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The one and only Bill Lee...when I was a young lad, I went to a Sox game and Lee was in the pen during bp and he was "punting" wads of bubble gum into the stands and prentending to be Ray Guy. As a kid I thought that was pretty cool...thinking back on that memory bring a smile to my face...yes he chewed it first....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Spaceman, Rice

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I was a big fan of both Wade Boggs and Dwight Evans.  Those guys were just solid, everyday, pros...both were machines out there.  I followed them all...i was enamored with the Bash Bros...like every kid was in the late 80s.