Softlaw's One Game Cheerleader Thread! Go John Lackey Go!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

Re: Softlaw's One Game Cheerleader Thread! Go John Lackey Go!

In response to raider3524's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

If they are in the PO race, after seeing Drew now for almost 2 months, would you rather have his bat and his steady defense or take a big chance with iggys bat and his solid defense?

If were not doing good, I say get what we can for Drew. If were in it, I like our chances better with Drew over Iggy.

gotta stick with drew.....

I agree with sticking with Drew. No sense in upsetting the chemistry while the Sox are doing well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Before recent back problems was really liking Drew at ss. Enough to consider an in-season 2 year extension , and then try to package Iglesias , Ellsbury and parts for a really good outfield bat to play right field.

Lackey definitely proving my prediction wrong. Hope he keeps it up all year.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to Iceman4's comment:

A healthy Lackey historically pitches with a 3.00 average ERA...don't underestimate him.

Historically?

His lowest career ERA was 3.01 back in 2007. Next was 3.44 in 2005. His career mark is 4.10.

Moon, what was his average before the Sox? Just with the Angels......I'm throwing out his years here because they have been uncharacteristic of him.....I'm not saying he was exactly 3.00 ERA ....but didn't he pretty much average that 3.00 to 4.00 ERA? He's not great...but when healthy , he is a steady , solid pitcher. Am I wrong? I respect your knowledge and appreciate your opinion. Outside the drama stuff....what do you think of Lackey has a pitcher?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

If they are in the PO race, after seeing Drew now for almost 2 months, would you rather have his bat and his steady defense or take a big chance with iggys bat and his solid defense?

I've seen S. Drew for years, and don't like what I've seen for more like 1 month "31 games".

BA .231 OBP .335 OPS .746

If were not doing good, I say get what we can for Drew. If were in it, I like our chances better with Drew over Iggy.

S. Drew has already missed 5 games. Not going to get much for S. Drew, which should tell you something. I see S. Drew as a poor value and fragile veteran profile who should not be retained going forward. I say nothing in his overall game that leads me to believe that spending more time and money on him makes any more sense than it did to start with.

Iglesias is the better value starting SS who is a pinch hitter spot in the #9 slot.

Those who look at offense at SS should hardly be impressed with S. Drew. But Lowrie was a fan favorite and so was Aviles, which is amusing.

Gotta say I like the new Softy posts.  Whether I agree with the opinions or not I haven't seen much name calling lately.  I'd even say he's being the bigger man with some posters trying to antoginize him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ciriaco, the butcher, cost Lackey more pitches with yet ANOTHER bad throw. That guy has the most erratic arm Ive seen. I know its picking nits about a UI, but couldnt we find a better alternative than him? Hes awful.

Nick Punto has a .823 OPS and three errors in 105 innings this year.

Pedro Ciriaco has a .631 OPS and 3 errors in 29 innings at 3B....

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A healthy Lackey historically pitches with a 3.00 average ERA...don't underestimate him.

Historically?

His lowest career ERA was 3.01 back in 2007. Next was 3.44 in 2005. His career mark is 4.10.

Moon, what was his average before the Sox? Just with the Angels......I'm throwing out his years here because they have been uncharacteristic of him.....I'm not saying he was exactly 3.00 ERA ....but didn't he pretty much average that 3.00 to 4.00 ERA? He's not great...but when healthy , he is a steady , solid pitcher. Am I wrong? I respect your knowledge and appreciate your opinion. Outside the drama stuff....what do you think of Lackey has a pitcher?

With the Angels he was 102-71 with a 3.81 ERA (LAA is a pitcher's park team). He also showed he could rise to the occasion in the playoffs with a 3.14 playoff ERA in 14 starts.

I really don't know if Lackey can ever regain his form, but if he does, he'd be a great #3 starter. I'd prefer him as our #4/5 starter, so we don't "need him to do great", but he is a big part of any chance we have this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Big difference in throwing from 3B and SS, of course.

Pedro's been a "butcher" almost anywhere he has played this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

With the Angels he was 102-71 with a 3.81 ERA (LAA is a pitcher's park team). He also showed he could rise to the occasion in the playoffs with a 3.14 playoff ERA in 14 starts.

I think the Angels park has actually been close to neutral as a hitters/pitchers park.  Lackey's 3.81 ERA with the Angels translated to a solid ERA+ of 116. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I think the Angels park has actually been close to neutral as a hitters/pitchers park.  Lackey's 3.81 ERA with the Angels translated to a solid ERA+ of 116. 

OK, but they played many games in oakland and Seattle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In 68 innings this season at SS, Utility infielder Ciriaco has 3 errors and 4 DP's. 

For a bench guy, hardly "a butcher". 3B is a different story, which is the case for a lot of UIF"ers.

Now, we have a butcher on here who likes to troll by as this paternalistic authority. Most ignore him.

I can bet id Drew had 3 errors in 68 innings, you'd call that evidence of butchery.

A FT SS plays over 700 innings. Ciriaco is on pace for over 30 errors at that rate: that is butchery.  Clown.

He's not a bad fielder, but he has been this year... so far.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Angels would have played about 11% of their games in Oakland and Seattle. (18/162)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

The Angels would have played about 11% of their games in Oakland and Seattle. (18/162)

That's about 8% more than most teams....each, or about 15% more in both parks combined. Enough to maybe turn a 4.00 ERA into his 3.81 LAA ERA.... maybe.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I can bet id Drew had 3 errors in 68 innings, you'd call that evidence of butchery.

More facotrs than total errors. But S. Drew isn't a guy who comes off cold after sitting for a week or more and gets paid near zero to be a utility infielder bench role player guy. He's being paid nearly 10 million to be an everyday SS.

S. Drew is back down with a "soar back", who would have thunk it.

More of your dreams come true.

Funny how the only things you are coming close to being right about are predictions of Sox players getting hurt.

You're one sick clown.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

jimed ready to pull the trigger on a 2 year extension for Drew and trade Iggy all because of a good month of ball by Drew.... what a riot.

Is it ?

Hmm....Iglesias apparently displaying some attitude problems, while continuing to not hit, while his defense might even be suffering slightly. Perhaps trouble concentrating , would respond best to change in environment ?

Two years would allow either Bogaerts ( who's not exactly kicking the door to Pawtucket down ) or Marrero to grow into the position. And Drew appeared to become a real factor with his bat, while providing adequate defense. At least as far as turning double plays, steadiness on grounders, etc.

Also, given lack of reliable offense from Ellsbury & Victorino, would anybody argue a good r/h bat playing decent defense in right field isn't a desirable addition ?