Softy was right after all

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Softy was right after all

This losing streak has been Ellsbury's fault.  Now that he's hitting again--two hits and an rbi today--the offense is back in business.  Me, I would have thought AGon was the key to the offense, but sometimes softy makes sense. 

Not.  The two big hits today were AGon's lineout that removed Hamels followed by that terrific double by Reddick.

I know Reddick's .230 at Pawtucket this year is the final verdict on whether he can hit MLB hitting, but I would take a flyer on him anyway.  Let Larry, Moe, and Curly ride the pine and let this guy play LF and later RF when CC returns.  Against righties and lefties--he got the only solid Sox hit off of Hamels. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Softy was right after all

as Ells goes the Sox go - I am the prophet of that eternal red sox truth and deserve props for its wisdom

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I thought you were going to talk about softy's position that Cam should have been the FT CF'er instead of Jake.

It's hard to keep track of all his wrong positions this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Softy was right after all:
    [QUOTE]I thought you were going to talk about softy's position that Cam should have been the FT CF'er instead of Jake. It's hard to keep track of all his wrong positions this year.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

That softy--what a crowd pleaser. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I thought you were going to talk about softy's position that Cam should have been the FT CF'er instead of Jake. It's hard to keep track of all his wrong positions this year.

I agree Ells is our spark plug and Reddicks minor league average means nothing if he continues to hit.  This isn't his first go around and you can see he has more discipline now.  We also made the right move on Cam, now McD is our RH so that could also change through a minor trade very soon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

The curse of Softy:

"Cameron should start in CF"....DFA

"Bill Hall will murder AAAA NL pitching"....DFA

"Patterson is a great athlete"...DFA

"Lugo was not a bust".......AAA

"Scutaro's arm is fine"......Edes " Marco Scutaro has his own ongoing shoulder issue, one that has taken a clear toll on his arm strength. "

"Varitek should be cut"...Not bad for a B.U.C.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Don't forget Wheeler, Dice-K, Oki, and Doubront over Wake.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

But you have to admit, he is a political sage. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

bp, welcome back.  I would like to hear softy comment on this himself

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]But you have to admit, he is a political sage. 
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

Did you mean political rage?

Typo?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Softy was right after all : Did you mean political rage? Typo?
    I don't make typo's, all errors are on porpoise.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Yes, Softy was right that "I love to eat crow".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I'll say it again: As goes CRAWBURY, so go the RedSox.
    This line-up today had no business winning.
    Mac 2nd. Sutton playing for Youk.

Notice it didn't take the slugging of Agone/Youk/Papi to get the job done.
    Two of the three weren't even in the line-up.
    It was Lester/Tek, Jake getting the job done, and timely hitting.

When CRAWBURY clicks: team is 32-13
    When they slump/split-up: team is 14-21

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

softy was teks two HOME RUNS wind aided?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Was Lester/Tek wind-aided?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Would Lester have back-to-back Cy Young Awards had VTek caught him every game this year and last?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Lester didn't need much more to win last year. A better question is: would he have won in 2010 without VMART catching him? Judging by Cash and Tek, and Lester's 3.68 ERA with VMART, what's UR best guess?

This year Lester has to really turn it on in the 2nd half.
    Given he's only throwing 91-93 MPH - easily off his 2010 velocity, he'll need to improve on that, regardless of who catches him, to have adequate margin for error.

I just hope he stays healthy and logs innings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I am certain he;d have done much better.

Cy Young? hard to tell.

1.88 ERA with Vtek: awesome.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

This year, Lester has given up 14 dingers. All without Tek.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

Pretty clear that Sutton and Varitek make the offense go, Max is right.

Theo likes to DFA certain colors of veteran players.

Where is the elite SS, Jed Lowrie?

I think Cameron would have done fine, starting in CF. He is near the end of a career that will be a lot better than Ellsbury, but he had never played in a bench role. His RBI doulbe to help beat CC was nice, as well as his 2 homer game. The fans hated the guy, and were not willing to accept his poor numbers in a bench role.

Now that Cameron has helped improve the roster and removed a wasted roster spot, does anyone know how Ellsbury is doing against LHP? 4 left handed OF'ers looks like a good move by Theo, to augment Mac. Getting rid of Cameron instead of Drew or Mac to waivers and AAA made a lot of sense. Theo doesn't react, he plans out in advance and says:

"I'll take the hit on this one"

Theo, you had all spring to figure this out. If Cameron wasn't going to be fit enough and was so aged out as not to be in the plans for regular OF duty, why on earth did you go with Mac and Cameron over the winter and the spring and to the summer? Did you really think that signing Crawbust and going with Cameron and Mac in bench roles was the answer for a RH OF bat and glove? Take the hit, Theo.

Take the hit on Lugo's giant contract from a career year. After he did his job in 2007 at SS, instead of letting him finikjyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy\\\\\\\\

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Oh yeah. Cam would be just fine as the starting CF'er.
    No need to keep Jake.

Cam:   .149 BA    .212 OBP    .266 SLG  .477 OPS
    ELLS:  .299 BA  .359 OBP  .415 SLG  .811 OPS

Cam was paid to hit lefties. Jake isn't expected to.
    Yet Jake hit them at a better rate.
    90 points higher BA.
    97 points higher OBP
    20 points higher SLG
    113 points higher OPS

Theo learned his lesson listening to UR idiocy last year when he moved Jake out of CF. How'd that work out for ya?

Keep it coming.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

Cameron was seldom used bench player. We both saw what happened to Ellsbury and his on and off 2010. To compare the 2011 numbers of a starter and a bench guy is nothing short of nonsense. The reality is that what Cameron's bench numbers are have no bearing whatsoever. To have any legitimacy, Cameron would have needed to have been given the starter job and the full support of management in that role, with Ellsbury sitting for a week at a time. When Theo foolishly signed Crawbust, that was the end of Cameron as Ellsbury as been on the Red Sox launching pad since 2008. 

Cameron's career, if it ends in Theo's colored dumpster, will be far superior than the Red Sox fan favorite pet centerfielder who is waiting for FA without a contract past age 29. 

The fact is that it was Theo who bought Crawburst and ignored the need to have a solid RH OF'er. Instead, he had Drew and Cameron under contract and a silly notion that Cameron could become a once a weeky player while Theo played in his Crawsbury playpen. 

Right now, the little ape is saying "I'll take the hit", yet has done nothing but vacillate like our "evolving views to be revealed after November 2012" campaigner. The issue is a long term issue, as much as a current issue. He needs to "take the hit" for more than just DFA'ing Cameron, he needs to trade his MLBPA management indicter and get someone like Kemp and take the hit for his Crawbury playpen.

Inepstein doesn't plan, he reacts and then makes silly comments like "sunk cost" and "I'll take the hit.

You''re feeling froggy because your personal idol had two homers, something Cameron did. Varitek's day is coming, and you can bet that he won't be thrown in the backyard dumpster during the middle of the season when he is kicked out.

Varitek is overrated and is not going anywhere but the HOF of your dreams. I wish the Red Sox had Ivan Rodrgiquez or Charles Johnson, just so I could see most Red Sox fans like you sing the praises of some old hack like Wakefield. 

Bring it on, Harness, today is as far as your mind goes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Cameron was seldom used bench player. We both saw what happened to Ellsbury and his on and off 2010. To compare the 2011 numbers of a starter and a bench guy is nothing short of nonsense. The reality is that what Cameron's bench numbers are have no bearing whatsoever. To have any legitimacy, Cameron would have needed to have been given the starter job and the full support of management in that role, with Ellsbury sitting for a week at a time. When Theo foolishly signed Crawbust, that was the end of Cameron as Ellsbury as been on the Red Sox launching pad since 2008.  Cameron's career, if it ends in Theo's colored dumpster, will be far superior than the Red Sox fan favorite pet centerfielder who is waiting for FA without a contract past age 29.  The fact is that it was Theo who bought Crawburst and ignored the need to have a solid RH OF'er. Instead, he had Drew and Cameron under contract and a silly notion that Cameron could become a once a weeky player while Theo played in his Crawsbury playpen.  Right now, the little ape is saying "I'll take the hit", yet has done nothing but vacillate like our "evolving views to be revealed after November 2012" campaigner. The issue is a long term issue, as much as a current issue. He needs to "take the hit" for more than just DFA'ing Cameron, he needs to trade his MLBPA management indicter and get someone like Kemp and take the hit for his Crawbury playpen. Inepstein doesn't plan, he reacts and then makes silly comments like "sunk cost" and "I'll take the hit. You''re feeling froggy because your personal idol had two homers, something Cameron did. Varitek's day is coming, and you can bet that he won't be thrown in the backyard dumpster during the middle of the season when he is kicked out. Varitek is overrated and is not going anywhere but the HOF of your dreams. I wish the Red Sox had Ivan Rodrgiquez or Charles Johnson, just so I could see most Red Sox fans like you sing the praises of some old hack like Wakefield.  Bring it on, Harness, today is as far as your mind goes.
    Posted by redsoxcorpseman[/QUOTE]

There is no way on Gods green earth that u r a sox fan..No way..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The story on Cameron yesterday was that his teammates liked him a lot and were saddened by his departure.  Theo and Francona also had good words for him. His career stats before last year say he was a reasonable acquisition going into 2010--a righty outfielder who was still hitting 25 dingers a year at age 36, could play all the OF positions, and was in excellent physical condition.

Two decisions proved disastrous, however.  The first was, after discovering his sports hernia in the spring, to encourage him to play thru it.    Thus he never did spit all last year.  The second was to put him into CF and Ellsbury in LF, which led to Ellsbury getting crunched by Beltre (as was the other leftfielder) and missing the entire season. 

As for the Ellsbury/Cameron comparison, who cares what Cameron's career stats are?  He's three years older than Drew and giving away ten years to Ellsbury, and by now it is clear to everyone--forget the RSN fan base, I'm talking about commentators for ESPN, MLB, Fox, wherever--that putting Ellsbury back in CF full time was absolutely the right thing to do.  He has been way more than fine and is very likely to be on the All-Star team, something Cameron did once in his career.  Jake is 3d in the AL in hits, 5th in runs scored, first in SB's, and appears to be headed toward 15-20 dingers.  He plays errorless ball in CF--2 total errors since he came up in 2007--and these days is covering a lot more ground in CF than Cameron, who is also error prone, would.  Right now Ellsbury has the best assist/error ratio, 5 to 0, of all MLB outfielders.   Platooning him--one week on and one week off--with Cameron would have been absurd. 

Tek's value is that he is a consummate role player, something Cameron apparently can't do.  He catches basically 2 of 5 games, which keeps Salty fresh, and calls a great game.  The least important thing he does is hit two dingers in one game--and that's the most important thing Cameron did all year.  If Tek had not hit one dinger, the Sox would have won yesterday 3-0 because Jenks would not have pitched the 9th.  Lester was terrific, but it was no coincidence that this was his first time in awhile being caught by Tek and that he threw shutout ball for 7 innings.  The guy knows his business and is of far greater value than Mike Cameron, who's getting paid twice as much.   I don't see Tek getting into the HOF, but love the fact that he still loves playing the game at whatever salary they offer him.  It's a shame softy can't see that. 

Epstein makes mistakes, but I think it's a little too early to make a judgment about Crawford. 

Funny thing is, softy is disparaging the guy who went out and got Cameron, whom softy seems to think is still an excellent outfielder.  Go figure.  While we're on that subject, Theo is also paying one of softy's favorite players, J.D. Drew, $14M this year, his 5th and final year at Boston.  Where is softy's rage at spending $22M this year on two guys who sure look like they are over the hill?  There is none because softy likes them.  If softy had his way, Drew would be the fulltime rightfielder and Cameron the fulltime centerfielder for the Sox. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Softy was right after all:
    [QUOTE]This losing streak has been Ellsbury's fault.  Now that he's hitting again--two hits and an rbi today--the offense is back in business.  Me, I would have thought AGon was the key to the offense, but sometimes softy makes sense.  Not.  The two big hits today were AGon's lineout that removed Hamels followed by that terrific double by Reddick. I know Reddick's .230 at Pawtucket this year is the final verdict on whether he can hit MLB hitting, but I would take a flyer on him anyway.  Let Larry, Moe, and Curly ride the pine and let this guy play LF and later RF when CC returns.  Against righties and lefties--he got the only solid Sox hit off of Hamels. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

You "know" that Reddick's .230 at Pawtucket is the final verdict??! Surely you jest. How many successful big leaguers have performed sub-par in the minors (sometimes after they were up for a while and sent back down) precisely because they know they belong in the Show and just don't do well down in the minors waiting for their chance. What is Reddick's average in the Bigs, that's what I want to know, and based on this year's performance alone, I say he has earned the right to prove he either belongs or doesn't.