Solution to AL MVP Debate??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Solution to AL MVP Debate??

So there has been much debate over who should have won the 2012 AL MVP award...and the rumblings are heard even today in a Chad Finn article.

So my possible solution to this debate is this...would you trade Mike Trout for Miguel Cabrera? Or in a Fantasy baseball draft who do you select with the first choice?

One additional way to look at it...both are free agents available to the Red Sox, and you can only afford one of them on a 3 year deal, who do you choose?

My response is Yes I'd make that trade if I'm the Angels and I'd choose Cabrera over Trout in a FBL draft. I believe winning a triple crown is still a rare and major feat and kudos to Cabrera for doing it.

What are your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Solution to AL MVP Debate??

You asked 3 questions and I agree on the first two of taking Cbrera over Trout. However i'd sign Trout over Cabrera for 3 years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You asked 3 questions and I agree on the first two of taking Cbrera over Trout. However i'd sign Trout over Cabrera for 3 years.

[/QUOTE]
    The writers got it right.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jim, Cabrera is 29 and considered in his prime years...so you wouldn't want him to be the Sox 1B for the next 3 seasons? Trout and good and young, but he is a rookie too, and maybe when the league gets a book on him his numbers would diminish some.

Personally, if I'm the Sox GM making this decison I'd go with the more proven commodity, still in his prime. 3 years from now that is a whole different situation, if Trout sustains what he did in 2012...Using Ellsbury's 2011 to 2012 statistical comparisons, despite the injury, would give me reason for concern.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

For a 3-year contract, I would take Trout over Cabrera.  

Trout is the total package (great clubhouse guy, speed, power, defense, etc.).  I wish he was a Red Sox.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Is either one going to make the Sox an instant winner?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Cabrera won the triple crown and his team went to the world series, thats why he's the most VALUEABLE player

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id take Miggy over trout right now for 3 years. In 3 years Id take Trout over Miggy...

I guess it also depends on what your needs are at the time...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Miggy.  Dont overrate speed.  Miggy is the best hitter on the planet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Definately Miggy , probably either.  You add Miggy  to this team and we are instant playoff contenders (with not other moves).   You add Trout and we are probably instant playoff contenders (with no other moves).

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Either one would make the Red Sox a better team.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

For the next three years I might take Cabrera, though it's close...for the open-ended future I think you take Trout over almost anyone in baseball (maybe Harper or Strasburg).

That's not necessarily the same thing as asking who should have been this year's MVP, though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jim, Cabrera is 29 and considered in his prime years...so you wouldn't want him to be the Sox 1B for the next 3 seasons? Trout and good and young, but he is a rookie too, and maybe when the league gets a book on him his numbers would diminish some.

Personally, if I'm the Sox GM making this decison I'd go with the more proven commodity, still in his prime. 3 years from now that is a whole different situation, if Trout sustains what he did in 2012...Using Ellsbury's 2011 to 2012 statistical comparisons, despite the injury, would give me reason for concern.

[/QUOTE]

See I'm also looking more long term than 3 years as stated. If trout lives up to the hype the 3 yrs is just the beginning.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Based on just performance from 2012, I'd take Trout.  He was definitely the better overall player.  When it comes to who was more valuable to his team, that depends on how much value you assign to a player who plays for a team that doesn't make the playoffs.  I would have voted for Trout, but I realize I am in the minority there.