Some concerns going forward......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Some concerns going forward......

Before I comment I want to say I'm estatic we beat Maddon & The Rays, a thorn team like Baltimore. I just went over the stats for the 4 games & in my head I was aware of them before seeing the numbers.

The 1st 4 in our lineup, Ells(.500), Victorino(.429), Ortiz(.385) & Pedroia (.235) have contributed 24 Hits & 13 RBI. So, in addition to our very good pitching & good defense( just a couple of lapses), it has been the top of our lineup that's been the major factor in our victories, the hitting & base running.

But the middle of our lineup Napoli & Salty especially seem to strike out more than they hit the ball & have been rally killers. But the other 6 players, Middlebrooks, Gomes, Drew, Ross, Nava & Carp with Naps & Salty ( 8 players---twice as many--- to our 4 top of the lineup) have only 14 hits and 9 RBIs. We have only 2 HRs and they were hit by Ortiz in one game. What I'm concerned about is going forward we can't have Napoli be in that slump he was in a month or so ago. We will need some offense from these guys if we want to beat the A's or Tigers & win the world series.  By the way, what  happened to Lavarnway and  I know we have Ross to back up Salty. I'd maybe bat Drew or Nava after Ortiz & move Napoli & Salty down. Any thoughts ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Some concerns going forward......

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Before I comment I want to say I'm estatic we beat Maddon & The Rays, a thorn team like Baltimore. I just went over the stats for the 4 games & in my head I was aware of them before seeing the numbers.

The 1st 4 in our lineup, Ells(.500), Victorino(.429), Ortiz(.385) & Pedroia (.235) have contributed 24 Hits & 13 RBI. So, in addition to our very good pitching & good defense( just a couple of lapses), it has been the top of our lineup that's been the major factor in our victories, the hitting & base running.

But the middle of our lineup Napoli & Salty especially seem to strike out more than they hit the ball & have been rally killers. But the other 6 players, Middlebrooks, Gomes, Drew, Ross, Nava & Carp with Naps & Salty ( 8 players---twice as many--- to our 4 top of the lineup) have only 14 hits and 9 RBIs. We have only 2 HRs and they were hit by Ortiz in one game. What I concerned about is going forward we can't have Napoli be in that slump he was in a month or so ago. We will need some offense from these guys if we want to beat the A's or Tigers & win the world series.  By the way, what  happened to Lavarnway and  I know we have Ross to back up Salty. I'd maybe bat Drew or Nava after Ortiz & move Napoli & Salty down. Any thoughts ?

My thought is "don't mess with a good thing".  I am not worried about bottom of the line-up production.  This club has gone in waves, with guys cooling off and others getting hot.  I wouldn't be surprised if Napoli or Drew gets locked in.  Yeah, sure, move Nava up.  I am happy wherever that guy hits.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Napoli and Salty were both on base more than 35% of their at bats for the series.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:

Napoli and Salty were both on base more than 35% of their at bats for the series.

You are correct about 35% , Salty has 3 Hits at 10 at bats but other 7 times were strike outs.

Naps actually was on base 46% of the time with 13 at bats and 2 hits but 4 walks so on base 6 times and only struck out 4 times...seemed more as last night I felt he was at bat with a couple of men on and struck out.

So, mea culpa, maybe I was too harsh on them but I'd still like a couple of HRs from Naps especially.

G   AB   R   H  2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB  SO
    Salty   3   10   1   3    1    0    0      3      0       7

Napoli 4   13   1   2    1    0    0      1      4       4   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

In response to jidgef's comment:

You are correct about 35% , Salty has 3 Hits at 10 at bats but other 7 times were strike outs.

Naps actually was on base 46% of the time with 13 at bats and 2 hits but 4 walks so on base 6 times and only struck out 4 times...seemed more as last night I felt he was at bat with a couple of men on and struck out.

So, mea culpa, maybe I was too harsh on them but I'd still like a couple of HRs from Naps especially.

POS.G   AB   R   H   2B   3B  HR  RBI  BB  SO
    Salty       C    3    10    1   3    1    0    0      3    0    7

Napoli    1B   4    13     1   2   1    0     0     1    4    4   

Mark my words.  Nap will be heard from.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I never felt worried about Napoli in the Rays series. Sally's Ks are concerning though, he may get dropped but he does have that ability to change a game with one swing of the bat, his .OBP isn't bad either.

Isn't it known and has been this way for a while that the top of your lineup, ie. the better players, are the ones who produce a lot more than the rest of the team? I would be more worried if the bottom on the lineup out produced the top.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Napoli and Salty you have to take the good and bad. Both can have issues with Ks. However both can go crazy for one or two games and just carry the team. Be nice if they both were more consistent like Ortiz but>>>>>>

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

No need to change anything. Although we may see Carp playing some 1st going forward as the 4 statrters for both Det & Oak are all righties.