Sorry, but I don't like it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Re: Sorry, but I don't like it

southpaw777,  ...Maybe it's the way you post. The way you post indicates you really don't know very much about baseball. If you've forgotten some things about baseball then you never really knew it...junior, now did you. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to eggplants' comment:

southpaw777,  ...Maybe it's the way you post. The way you post indicates you really don't know very much about baseball. If you've forgotten some things about baseball then you never really knew it...junior, now did you. 

you have to have known something first in order to forget it...really?

you got confrontational with me first for no reason with the battery comment...

The way I post indicates I dont know much about baseball?? Sorry, I just got an even bigger laugh. Listen kiddo, go get confrontational with someone else. Obviously you cant have a good back and forth without insulting someone like some pre pubescent. Im done talking to you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:

It appears most every (if not every) baseball talking head across the country thinks the Red Sox made a great trade.  I have not seen a negative take on it by a sportswriter or a quoted GM.  Note, they do not quote GMs by name, just say an AL GM or an NL GM.

If a manager doesn't have confidence in his ball players, even when they're going badly, they're not going to have confidence in themselves. And when a ballplayer's confidence is gone, you haven't got a ballplayer - Birdie Tebbetts

One of the quotes I read from an executive of another team went something like 'The Red Sox turned 2 lucky months by Iggy into a #2 starter'. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

It appears most every (if not every) baseball talking head across the country thinks the Red Sox made a great trade.  I have not seen a negative take on it by a sportswriter or a quoted GM.  Note, they do not quote GMs by name, just say an AL GM or an NL GM.

If a manager doesn't have confidence in his ball players, even when they're going badly, they're not going to have confidence in themselves. And when a ballplayer's confidence is gone, you haven't got a ballplayer - Birdie Tebbetts

One of the quotes I read from an executive of another team went something like 'The Red Sox turned 2 lucky months by Iggy into a #2 starter'. 

[/QUOTE]

'The Red Sox parlayed 2 lucky months by Iggy into a #2 starter'. 

That was a great line.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Alibiike's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stupid is as stupid does. Everyone thinis XB will be a great SS But they also thought WMB would be the future at 3B and he's back at AAA.

Next year, the Sox will be right back where they've been for the last 10 years........ Looking for someone to replace Nomar.

"You don't save a pitcher for tomorrow.  Tomorrow it may rain."  ~ Leo Durocher

always appreciate your positive outlook and valuable input.

[/QUOTE]

Just trying to keep it real in a fantasy world. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

fizsh, let me help you with this. Dave Dombrowski, Detroit Tigers and Rick Hahn of the Chicago White Sox both of these guys thought the RS got a good deal. If you're going to be thought of as credible you have to identify the source otherwise it's nothing but hearsay.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

always appreciate your positive outlook and valuable input.

Just trying to keep it real in a fantasy world. 

[/QUOTE]

And doing a lousy job of it as usual.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I am actually referring to Jason Starks, Jeff Sullivan, Keith Law and it was on Ken Rosenthal's article that he gives the quote "parlay[] two lucky months from Iglesias into Jake Peavy" and attributes it to "a rival executive".  So, thanks for the help, but I think I know what I was talking about more than you do.  And if you continue to criticize others credibility without knowing what they are talking about, then you are the one without credibility.  Just saying.    

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Let me also add that what others think of the trade, what I think of the trade is all irrelevant in the grander scheme of things.  I will still follow and enjoy the season and root for the Sox.  And so far this has been a great season!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well you can take that quote and flush it the leui.  If you believe that quote then Ortiz must be off his rocker in thinking Iggy is one of the best short stops he has ever seen.

[/QUOTE]

Papi was talking defensively...The comment was about Iggys offense, which if you look at all the numbers, he was clearly lucky.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I am actually referring to Jason Starks, Jeff Sullivan, Keith Law and it was on Ken Rosenthal's article that he gives the quote "parlay[] two lucky months from Iglesias into Jake Peavy" and attributes it to "a rival executive".  So, thanks for the help, but I think I know what I was talking about more than you do.  And if you continue to criticize others credibility without knowing what they are talking about, then you are the one without credibility.  Just saying.    

A lot of this stuff can be easily found on MLBTradeRumors.com, which is one of the most widely used and reliable sources out there.  I'm guessing eggplants doesn't read that much though. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

[QUOTE]

A lot of this stuff can be easily found on MLBTradeRumors.com, which is one of the most widely used and reliable sources out there.  I'm guessing eggplants doesn't read that much though. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is where I found the links.  I haven't checked out BP yet, though.  I am a subscriber but haven't been to the site yet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

His hitting hurts the Sox? What about a 9.5M SS hitting .225?

Give me a break.

Um, you might want to look past BA sometime and acquaint yourself with concepts like extra-base hits and even the old favorite, RBI.  Even most hardcore old-schoolers like those numbers.

Drew 28 EBH 37 RBI

Iggy 13 EBH 19 RBI

[/QUOTE]

Um, Drew also had 73 more PA's than Iggy. How about this? Iggy hit .344 w/ RISP......Drew, .221.

Also, Drew had 57 more PA's with runners on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I never bought the idea Iglesias was so good the ERA's would plummet, nor that he was much of a hitter.  But what I saw was poetry in motion, regardless of the games outcome.  Even the routine plays.  The Sox are still worth rooting for, of course, but suddenly less fun to watch.  Maybe Bogaerts will change my mind.

I like it better every game I see Dempster and Lester out there. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Hugh, there are other guys out here that think we got hosed too. I'm not the only one. I might be the only one you've heard about though. Hugh we've been down this road before, you and I. Reddick/Kalish, Reddick /Bailey. On the Bailey deal I had a source on the medicals. Not so with Peavy......not yet anyway.But he comes with issues known and unknown. It's the unknown ones that you worry about. If he hits the DL end of August early September then what. We ripped out a big chunk of good chemistry and gave him away to Detroit. That definitely will not work if this guy is ineffective or goes down early or the RS miss the post season. Just saw this trailer,MLB offered the 50 day no appeal suspension or appeal and risk longer time to Perralta. . So Iggy appears to be the SS when a decision is made on the suspension.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is where I found the links.  I haven't checked out BP yet, though.  I am a subscriber but haven't been to the site yet.

[/QUOTE]

You can add BP to the list of sites that think the deal is a good one for the Red Sox.  I don't want to post any quotes as it is a subscription service.  They rank it Red Sox, White Sox and Tigers, but don't seem to really hate the deal for any of them.  This could be one of those good deals for all. 

As I type this, Drew homers to tie the game.  Go Sox!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A guy can have a lucky at bat, a lucky game, a lucky week.  But a lucky two months? A lucky 234 P.A.s ?  Not so sure about that. When you have that many P.A.s , and are hitting .330, with a .785 OPS , there may be more than luck involved.  Let's see if he remains lucky in Detroit. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Give me a break.

Um, you might want to look past BA sometime and acquaint yourself with concepts like extra-base hits and even the old favorite, RBI.  Even most hardcore old-schoolers like those numbers.

Drew 28 EBH 37 RBI

Iggy 13 EBH 19 RBI

Um, Drew also had 73 more PA's than Iggy. How about this? Iggy hit .344 w/ RISP......Drew, .221. 

Oh, I see, you start out by mocking Drew's offense using only Batting Average.  Then when somebody points out his Extra Base Hits and RBI, you suddenly go all 'Inside the Numbers'.  Too funny.

Try this, Ike: Drew's OPS is now .745 compared to an average OPS of .667 for AL shortstops.

So I'm sure you'll have to agree, Ike, that Drew is a significantly better hitter so far than this year than the average shortstop.  Right Ike?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Give me a break.

Drew 28 EBH 37 RBI

Iggy 13 EBH 19 RBI

Oh, I see, you start out by mocking Drew's offense using only Batting Average.  Then when somebody points out his Extra Base Hits and RBI, you suddenly go all 'Inside the Numbers'.  Too funny.

Try this, Ike: Drew's OPS is now .745 compared to an average OPS of .667 for AL shortstops.

So I'm sure you'll have to agree, Ike, that Drew is a significantly better hitter so far than this year than the average shortstop.  Right Ike?

Im enjoying Drew a lot lately....i have no problem saying it....and given his age i wouldnt mind signing him for /two for 7.5 mil a year....then the prospects come up

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yeah how's reddick doing by the way?

Dont come in here and insult other posters baseball knowledge and suggest they "know very little"

In my experience when you have to belittle someone to make a point....your not making a point.  Insults and mud slinging is just a lazy form of an argument.  Ive never understood that "oh you disagree with me, your dumb, therefore I'm right" mentality.

Substance over statements.

Fwiw southpaw is probably one of the most knowledgable posters on here. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

A guy can have a lucky at bat, a lucky game, a lucky week.  But a lucky two months? A lucky 234 P.A.s ?  Not so sure about that. When you have that many P.A.s , and are hitting .330, with a .785 OPS , there may be more than luck involved.  Let's see if he remains lucky in Detroit. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Then what is Iggy the past 6 weeks?  He's either turned back into a pumpkin or he is unlucky.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

this thread is gold. idk who this eggplants guy is but he is my hero!

you don't go toe to toe with SP and hugh without proper ammunition.... and this guy is chucking packing peanuts at you two.

eggplants, you got wrecked on this thread. just give up. You keep crying that we gave up Iggy for nothing. obviously, you have no idea how a 3 team trade works. So i'll break it down for you... Each team involved puts assets onto the table. If all three teams agree, each team gets someone. we gave up 3 A ball players and Iggy. ChiSox put in Peavy and Detroit put in Avisail Garcia and Brayan Villareal. That's seven, count 'em -7- players on the table. So those are the players on the table. Below is the return for each team:

ChiSox: Avisail Garcia (from Det), 3 A-ball players (from Bos)

Tigers: Iglesias (from Boston)

Red Sox: Peavy (from Chi), Villareal (from Det)

So there you have it. that's how a three team trade works. I'd like to hear you explain how Detroit gave up nothing for Iggy when they lost their 2nd best prospect in the deal and a fireballing RP who in 50 innings last season had a 1.21 WHIP and a 2.63 ERA.

but hey, NEVER let the facts get in the way of a good whine!

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

As far as I'm concerned the infield in 1 year from now should be

3B.  Middlebrooks or Cechhini

SS. Xander Bogaerts

2B  Dustin Pedroia

1B FA

unless Iggy could play at first base (spoiler...he can't and never will) he was expendable.  

Now what was this teams largest concern going down the stretch....pitching.

Lester - inconsistent lately but shows better results with rest.

Lackey - having one of his best seasons but he also hasn't pitched a full season healthy in over two years

Buchholz - does he come back a dominant ace? Just ok? Or not at all?

Dempster - pitched well for a back of the rotation starter but do you really want to rely on this guy in the playoffs?

Doubront - never pitched over 161 innings in his career. Only at 117 now but will easily be in unknown territory come playoff time.

Workman - never pitched over 131 innings in his life, over 121 now.  Going down the stretch he may be better suited in shorter stints out of the pen (scouts think his stuff plays up better there anyways)

There is a question mark on almost every starter.  Infield depth was a surplus, sox probably had 3  MLB short stops.  Pitching was needed, and will be needed in the playoffs therefore trading for it was the logical decision.  Philly wanted Bogaerts for Lee....Ben C laughed and hung up the phone. 

So you traded away a surplus for a deficit.  There is injury risk, I'd assume the Sox have seen his medicals and are comfortable with the risk.  Maybe Peavy gets injured tomorrow and doesn't pitch again, but maybe Buchholz doesn't come back and peavy pitches how he normally does when healthy; like a #1#2

We have increased our stock of starting pitchers and therefore improved our chances in the playoffs this year.  We traded away a piece who the organization does not feel has a place here as a starter.  So any conversation about how "bad" this trade was starts with what Deal Charrington could have made to trade for a pitcher of Peavys caliber AT THE DEADLINE and pay less????? What precedent do we have? Examples?