Source: Drew leaving Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Source: Drew leaving Red Sox

In response to eltiante1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Drew is not leaving.  

Drew has already left and, thankfully, won't be coming back.

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps Julio Lugo is available.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

Even now...you still don't see how stupid the 9.5 million deal to Drew was. Iglesias was #2 in rookie of the year voting. Admit it, it wasn't worth it and it was a stupid move. 

[/QUOTE]

It was great move. It allowed the Sox to get a pitcher the Sox needed do the stretch and now have a draft pick.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

2013 World Series Champions

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

AND YOUR BOY MIDDLEBROOKS HAD A '600'S OPS'.

Middlebrooks has never played a full season in the majors because of injuries in 2012 and 2013. He homers in 1 in every 20AB's, despite the injuries.

[/QUOTE]

Good point.  He has a lot of trouble showing up for work, along with the 600's OPS.

[/QUOTE]

Touche!!!!

That was beautiful!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

not softlaw gets banned again. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Report: Stephen Drew won't return to Boston

Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston heard from a source that Stephen Drew will not return to the Red Sox.

Red Sox management had interest in bringing Drew back, but the free agent shortstop is seeking a contract that soars well beyond Boston's offseason budget. Drew turned down a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer last week, so he'll net a draft pick for the Red Sox when he signs elsewhere this winter. Xander Bogaerts will likely start at shortstop and Will Middlebrooks will presumably man third base for Boston in 2014.[/QUOTE]

6-54 and i helped........any pitcher could do that. And for you Drew lovers... very good glove..ok?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Report: Stephen Drew won't return to Boston

Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston heard from a source that Stephen Drew will not return to the Red Sox.

Red Sox management had interest in bringing Drew back, but the free agent shortstop is seeking a contract that soars well beyond Boston's offseason budget. Drew turned down a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer last week, so he'll net a draft pick for the Red Sox when he signs elsewhere this winter. Xander Bogaerts will likely start at shortstop and Will Middlebrooks will presumably man third base for Boston in 2014.[/QUOTE]

6-54 and i helped........any pitcher could do that. And for you Drew lovers... very good glove..ok?

[/QUOTE]

I ll be shock if he found a offer that went 6 years for 54 mm dollars

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Red Sox News @GlobeSox 18m

Extra Bases: Drew still in play for the Red Sox

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drew helped bring us a ring and a nice draft pick.

Thanks Stephen. Good luck wherever you land, just not against us.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

If the Red Sox don't sign our 3 QO guys and don't sign McCann or Choo, they likely will have 4 draft picks between 22-36. Something like 24-32-33-34 in a supposedly strong draft. That will be fun.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

If the Red Sox don't sign our 3 QO guys and don't sign McCann or Choo, they likely will have 4 draft picks between 22-36. Something like 24-32-33-34 in a supposedly strong draft. That will be fun.

I still think we ultimately sign Napoli (great fit, and not that many other appealing options for 1B) and let the other two walk...so two extra picks, which is still pretty nice. Just my guess.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I'm actually thankfull that Drew has Boras for an agent.  he'll price him out of the RS market, and we won't have to watrch him for another year.

Yeah, he was OK.  But that's all.  JD was just good enough -- and paid highly enough -- to keep anyone younger or better from getting a job in right field.  SDrew could bottleneck SS the same way.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm actually thankfull that Drew has Boras for an agent.  he'll price him out of the RS market, and we won't have to watrch him for another year.

Yeah, he was OK.  But that's all.  JD was just good enough -- and paid highly enough -- to keep anyone younger or better from getting a job in right field.  SDrew could bottleneck SS the same way.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he was hard to watch, walking around with the WSC shirt and all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

Yeah, he was hard to watch, walking around with the WSC shirt and all.

[/QUOTE]

One little point that a lot of people seem to consistently miss is that major league baseball is a really hard game.  We ran the table this year with a lot of players that many people here didn't think were that good. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Its interesting how all you baseball experts put Drew down when everyone around him on that team wants him to stay.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I don't remember a time when any player was leaving that "everyone around him" ever said anything less. Cripe not a single person dissed Beckett, Manny, Youk, Vaughn, Clemens, or anyone else.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't remember a time when any player was leaving that "everyone around him" ever said anything less. Cripe not a single person dissed Beckett, Manny, Youk, Vaughn, Clemens, or anyone else.

[/QUOTE]

Show me where other players and managers stated publicly that they wanted to Manny Beckett or even youk to stay?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

He's talking about people not dissing him.

I'm sure Drew's a nice guy.  I'm fine with him staying as a backup to Xander.  But I don't want him to be the starting SS when we need to bring up new guys who, frankly, can hit better than 250.

All year Iggy was clearly below Drew in the SS list, and the main reason given or assumed was that Iggy couldn't hit and Drew had more power potential.  I agreed, and said in one post that I was wrong - (I thought Drew was a good SS for this team because of the hitting).

So then he doesn't hit in the playoffs, and everyone's going onto the defense bandwagon.  Fine, he played good defense during the playoffs (don't worry about Iggy, either -- despite his mistakes he'll be excellent).

But now, what's our reason to hire Drew back?  Hitting? Uh uh.  Defense?  Well, OK, but shouldn't we see what Bogey can do?  And don't tell me OPS, which is Boras' main talking point. I don't want a guy working walks because he can't hit any more.

Let Drew get a big contract somewhere else.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

But now, what's our reason to hire Drew back?  Hitting? Uh uh.  Defense?  Well, OK, but shouldn't we see what Bogey can do?  And don't tell me OPS, which is Boras' main talking point. I don't want a guy working walks because he can't hit any more.

I'm glad Drew is leaving, because we have replacements next year, and another the year after.

But, imo, you look foolish trying to disparage Drew to make a case for Bogaerts.  Drew was 2nd in slugging in the AL.  By saying you don't want to hear his OPS, that slugging is meaningless to you.  It's easy enough to make a case for Bogaerts, but trying to pretend that Drew didn't have a really, really good year is not the way to do it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drew was about the 6th or 7th best offesnive SS in 2013.

His fielding surprised and impressed me. He was top 10 on defense in 2013.

Not many SSs are top 10 on O & D.

I don't think I'd pay what it will take to keep Drew, but it's more about the years than the dollars I'm worried about.