Southpaw777 and Bill-806 say....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Southpaw777 and Bill-806 say....

Let the kids play!!!

No, this is NOT a panic thread. And i also didnt ask Bill to use his name, but since he has been calling for the kids most of the year....Hope you dont mind Bill.

I like what this team has done and how they dont give up until the last out is made, but to not notice that the kids we bring up are making a noticeable impact would suggest that one is blind. To also notice that we are at a disadvantage from the right side is also being blind to the truth...

Workman has done a great job. Yes, he had a rough night last night, but has been ping ponged from starter to bullpen then asked to basically give them another start last night. Drake Britton has basically been lights out in the pen. A reliable LHP who is effective against both RH and LHH. We witnessed what RDLR can do last night with a 98-100MPH FB, a knee buckling slider, and a change up so good that it has batters swinging long before it reaches the plate.

It seems it takes a blowout game like last night for Farrell to use all of them in one game. Hes relying on some guys like Taz and Koji, even when the situation doesnt call for them. Im afraid hes going to over use them and come October we will be in a situation we dont want to be in. We dont need to use Koji when were up 4-0. We dont need to use Taz the next day after throwing 2IP when were down 2-0.

He CAN rely on Drake Britton and not have to lean on Breslow so much. He CAN rely on Brandon Workman when Taz is tired. And now he CAN rely on RDLR when Koji needs a rest.

Im not saying to not use the veterans first, just not as much as they have been. He HAS options and should use and trust them to balance out the workload amongst all our bullpen arms. Now, Im not claiming that the kids will be perfect, nobody is. But they, to me, have proved to be an options he can and should trust to get the job done.

Now, can he rely on Xander Bogaerts to come up and fill a need for that RHH that Middy was supposed to give us this year? Can he make up for the lack of production we expected from Napoli? Can he add some power from the right side that were missing and balance out the lineup vs LHP?

I think Snyder and Holt have done a decent job keeping the spot warm, but we need to find out if X-Man can help us in a tight pennant race. Can he???

Only one way to find out...........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Southpaw777 and Bill-806 say....

Right on SP.  Needs to show confidence in Britton out of the pen, that's obvious.  And get Xander up here, right away.  The time is now!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Let the kids play!!!

No, this is NOT a panic thread. And i also didnt ask Bill to use his name, since he has been calling for the kids most of the year.Hope you dont mid Bill.

I like what this team has done and how they dont give up until the last out is made, but to not notice that the kids we bring up are making a noticeable impact would suggest that one is blind. To also notice that we are at a disadvantage from the right side is also being blind to the truth...

Workman has done a great job. Yes, he had a rough night last night, but has been ping ponged from starter to bullpen then asked to basically give them another start last night. Drake Britton has basically been lights out in the pen. A reliable LHP who is effective against both RH and LHH. We witnessed what RDLR can do last night with a 98-100MPH FB, a knee buckling slider, and a change up so good that it has batters swinging long before it reaches the plate.

It seems it takes a blowout game like last night for Farrell to use all of them in one game. Hes relying on some guys like Taz and Koji, even when the situation doesnt call for them. Im afraid hes going to over use them and come October we will be in a situation we dont want to be in. We dont need to use Koji when were up 4-0. We dont need to use Taz the next day after throwing 2IP when were down 2-0.

He CAN rely on Drake Britton and not have to lean on Breslow so much. He CAN rely on Brandon Workman when Taz is tired. And now he CAN rely on RDLR when Koji needs a rest.

Im not saying to not use the veterans first, just not as much as they have been. He HAS options and should use and trust them to balance out the workload amongst all our bullpen arms. Now, Im not claiming that the kids will be perfect, nobody is. But they, to me, have proved to be an options he can and should trust to get the job done.

Now, can he rely on Xander Bogaerts to come up and fill a need for that RHH that Middy was supposed to give us this year? Can he make up for the lack of production we expected from Napoli? Can he add some power from the right side that were missing and balance out the lineup vs LHP?

I think Snyder and Holt have done a decent job keeping the spot warm, but we need to find out if X-Man can help us in a tight pennant race. Can he???

Agreed! Except I would be starting Workman and not Wright. I think the wright thing is a bad experiment.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...as Mom would say, "Billy, Pop, put the beers down and come to dinner!"

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

I'm still wondering why Lavarnway gets called up and not Butler. Great job by Lavarnway having 4 PBs and going 1/5.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Promise...

Workman wasnt planned to come up for 10 days because he had his last great start and was sent down to allow more arms in the pen and because Peavy was now here. The allowed Wright to pitch because he looked great his last two times in Boston and just had a CG shutout in AAA. Workman is only here because Navas wife went into labor and had to take paternity leave. They had  already had it set for Wright to start though. if they had known Nava was going to leave, they may have prepared Workman for the start... I liked the idea based on what Wright had done recently, and gave the Starters an extra day... It just didnt work.

Cuban...

Lavarnway just didnt look good catching wright. he was stabbing at balls and trying to backhand them. I remember Mirabelli saying you have to just let the ball come to you and not reach for it. Its certainly easier said than done, so I dont hold that against Lav. His bat has been less than stellar though. This happens sometimes though when a FT player becomes a platoon player. Those guys usually have to get in a rhythm and find it hard when they only bat every few days.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:

I'm still wondering why Lavarnway gets called up and not Butler. Great job by Lavarnway having 4 PBs and going 1/5.

The "next Carlton Fisk," someone's son once said.

I'm not sure if Fisk ever had 4 PBs in a season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Let the kids play!!!

No, this is NOT a panic thread. And i also didnt ask Bill to use his name, since he has been calling for the kids most of the year.Hope you dont mid Bill.

Good post pal, the lack of hitting against lefties needs to be addressed ASAP.  This club has opportunity to win it all just one year after being the leagues door mat.  The Peavy move was great, Iggy was a great defender but hes something like 1 for 13 in his last three games so the downward trend continues offensively.

We not only have to play teams like Tampa, who feature good lefties like Price and Moore the remainder of the year but possibly in the playoffs as well.  Lets see what the waiver draft has to offer and give Bogy a look as well if we don't feel Middy can help.  Holt and Snyder are average platoon guys at best, not the players that will ever help us on a daily basis. 

In other words fill this glaring hole against lefties before it sucks our great season right into it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Let the kids play!!!

Good post pal, the lack of hitting against lefties needs to be addressed ASAP.  This club has opportunity to win it all just one year after being the leagues door mat.  The Peavy move was great, Iggy was a great defender but hes something like 1 for 13 in his last three games so the downward trend continues offensively.

We not only have to play teams like Tampa, who feature good lefties like Price and Moore the remainder of the year but possibly in the playoffs as well.  Lets see what the waiver draft has to offer and give Bogy a look as well if we don't feel Middy can help.  Holt and Snyder are average platoon guys at best, not the players that will ever help us on a daily basis. 

In other words fill this glaring hole against lefties before it sucks our great season right into it.

I agree...One way or the other they will take care of it. I dont believe they see Holt/Snyder as the long term option this year at 3b.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

It's about time you saw that Snyder and holt arnt gonna cut it SP.. Glad to see your finally on the xander boegarts bandwagon.

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

-Times of grace

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

It's about time you saw that Snyder and holt arnt gonna cut it SP.. Glad to see your finally on the xander boegarts bandwagon.

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

-Times of grace

res,

I never thought they were the long term option. I just said they have done a decent job filling the hole.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I am normally fine with taking a cautious approach with prospects, but I am ready for some Bogaerts, dammit.

(As an aside, considering that "Xander Bogaerts" is perhaps the single coolest name ever in history, I refuse to give him some cutesy nickname like "Bogey." If anything, this clearly calls for first-name basis. Nomar...Pedro...Xander.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Let the kids play!!!

No, this is NOT a panic thread. And i also didnt ask Bill to use his name, but since he has been calling for the kids most of the year....Hope you dont mind Bill.

As DAD would say................  "SON, you & that SOUTHPAW guy knows yor stuff, the Red Sox would be smart to hire both of you & SOFTY tooooo "!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Well done, southpaw, giving Bill 806 some credit where it usually isn't due.  A sensible OP.  Chad Finn recently argued that it's time to give Bogaerts a shot because of the overall shortfall in good righty bats. 

I seem to remember that Ellsbury got a shot in 2007 because Coco Crisp went on the DL.  Ellsbury was terrific, but went back to AAA when Crisp got health.  Then Ellsbury got brought back up in time to make him eligible for the postseason, where he was also pretty terrific.  The only problem I see, however, is what to do about Snyder/Holt if Bogaerts doesn't work out.  Do you keep both of them and dump an outfielder?  What? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Well done, southpaw, giving Bill 806 some credit where it usually isn't due.  A sensible OP.  Chad Finn recently argued that it's time to give Bogaerts a shot because of the overall shortfall in good righty bats. 

I seem to remember that Ellsbury got a shot in 2007 because Coco Crisp went on the DL.  Ellsbury was terrific, but went back to AAA when Crisp got health.  Then Ellsbury got brought back up in time to make him eligible for the postseason, where he was also pretty terrific.  The only problem I see, however, is what to do about Snyder/Holt if Bogaerts doesn't work out.  Do you keep both of them and dump an outfielder?  What? 

Snyder would be redundant at that point and would have to be sent through waivers, then parked in AAA IF he clears. Then give his 40man spot to Xander.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I am normally fine with taking a cautious approach with prospects, but I am ready for some Bogaerts, dammit.

(As an aside, considering that "Xander Bogaerts" is perhaps the single coolest name ever in history, I refuse to give him some cutesy nickname like "Bogey." If anything, this clearly calls for first-name basis. Nomar...Pedro...Xander.)

The next coolest name in our system has to be Mookie Betts, but with Pedey here for the next 7 years he may never see 2b in Fenway unless hes a visitor.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

The next coolest name in our system has to be Mookie Betts, but with Pedey here for the next 7 years he may never see 2b in Fenway unless hes a visitor.

Have you seen Betts stats?  He won't be with the Red Sox anytime soon, if ever.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

He had an .895 OPS at Greenville but has cooled since being promoted to Salem (89 at-bats). He is also 20 years old. Too soon to say, IMO.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

Hes still young. The tools are there.

.278BA .317 OBP in high A Salem...Not eye popping but not terrible. Hes not a power guy at all so the SLG is going to be low. He had great numbers at Greenville, so I expect some adjustment will be made. At 20yo I would also expect he has some things to work on transitioning from SS to 2b. Not that I want to take this thread in another direction but...

Scouting Report: Athletic infielder who had been committed to playing at Tennessee prior to signing. Excelled in four sports in high school. Plus speed. Ability to impact a game with his legs. Compact, level swing. Fluid load. Solid-average hit tool. Solid overall approach for someone his age, works counts, and isn’t overly aggressive.  Potential to produce high levels of contact as he continues to develop. Below-average power potential. Small-framed and lean. Solid-average-to-better arm. Fluid and smooth actions defensively. Soft hands. Former shortstop learning how to play second base as a professional. Tends to stay back on balls rather than charge. Defensive skills and instincts to transition quickly to second base. Plus defensive potential.

Its amazing that you would try to twist this into something negative about a 20yo prospect...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Does any one take "passed balls" against a knuckleballer seriously?  Probably Fisk never had to catch one.  The stat is meaningless.  Mirabelli was a niche specialist, but most catchers rarely have to deal with the wacky pitch.  And when a guy is thowing so wildly to create two wp and four passed balls in one inning, one is simply being unfair to the unlucky catcher.  The pitcher was immediately pulled from the game because he was totally out of control.  Why not mention Lava threw out a base stealer, something that he can do and does, or that his hit was a double that drove in the tying and go-ahead runs in the 5th inning?  The guy plays once a week and looks fine.  In the previous game he played, he had a hit in the ninth inning six run rally that won the game.   He's hitting .250 playing once a week, with meaningful hits, while actually throwing out basestealers.  If he ends up getting traded and getting the chance to play full time, no one will be really surprised to find they have a good catcher who hits .285 or .290 with decent power and keeps baserunners honest.  One wonders where the true source of the animus toward the guy is coming from here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Does any one take "passed balls" against a knuckleballer seriously?  Probably Fisk never had to catch one.  The stat is meaningless.  Mirabelli was a niche specialist, but most catchers rarely have to deal with the wacky pitch.  And when a guy is thowing so wildly to create two wp and four passed balls in one inning, one is simply being unfair to the unlucky catcher.  The pitcher was immediately pulled from the game because he was totally out of control.  Why not mention Lava threw out a base stealer, something that he can do and does, or that his hit was a double that drove in the tying and go-ahead runs in the 5th inning?  The guy plays once a week and looks fine.  In the previous game he played, he had a hit in the ninth inning six run rally that won the game.   He's hitting .250 playing once a week, with meaningful hits, while actually throwing out basestealers.  If he ends up getting traded and getting the chance to play full time, no one will be really surprised to find they have a good catcher who hits .285 or .290 with decent power and keeps baserunners honest.  One wonders where the true source of the animus toward the guy is coming from here.

[/QUOTE]

I had no issue with Lav last night. Hes caught Wright a number of times already with no issues. Wake said that his ball would dance more inside, and it sure did. That ball was crazy. Wright hasnt been throwing the KBall FT for long (maybe 2-3 years) so he still needs to learn how to "control" it inside a bit better, but in AAA there are no domes to practice in.

Im njot high on Lavarnways defense, but still believe with regular play he can be a .280+ hitter in MLB. maybe not playing catcher full time though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

Agreed! Except I would be starting Workman and not Wright. I think the wright thing is a bad experiment.

[/QUOTE]

Hehe - thought you'd be supporting this, Promise!  :o)

I do also, but I know your heart is in the youngblood...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Let the kids play!!!

Whether they bring up Xander or Middy, one of them needs to be playing 3b in Boston really soon...WMB has been 7-24 with 2HR 3 RBI 7K 0BB in his last 5 games. Id still like to see more walks, but its just as possible he get another shot before Bogey does.

Maybe a callup would light a fire under him since hes been pretty humbled since being sent down.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Glad to see Middy had a good stretch, but hoping hard they give Xander a try first this time around.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

For whom it may concern:

The knock on Lava ... the 4 PBs in an inning, is only valid when put in the frame of working with a knuckler.  I thought we were supposed to be an intelligent, informed fan base. 

1)  Developing knuckleballer - consider how wild that is or possibly is ... even ESTABLISHED knucklers can be/ could be/ are hard to catch, and we throw in Wright .... woohoo....

It's like driving a semi without trailer brakes ... it can be done, but ya can't expect to control the outcome ... dangerous as heck

2)  Developing catcher ... who everyone knows is better with his stick than his glove.

3)  If one can take the small sample of 1/5, then at least use the proper look at the small sample and say the 1 was the double that put the Sox on top at the time.

I love the negative way one presents stuff.  Level the playing field.  Put the kudos in with the knocks.

Note:  I didn't say Lava is neo-Fisk.  I said look at the whole picture and give it the value it deserves.