Sox acquire Matt Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Sox acquire Matt Thornton

In response to bingo1's comment:

And you thought the Mariners would have a better record than the Sox this year...

To be precise, I projected 84 wins for the Red Sox and 81 wins for the Mariners.

The forecasts don't look good at this point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]He wasnt there for Adam Jones?

Seattle GM Bill Bavasi traded Adam Jones on February 8, 2008; the Mariners named Jack Zduriencik general manager in October 2008.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonesad01.shtml#trans

Zduriencik has traded away Cliff Lee, Doug Fister, Brandon Morrow, Michael Pineda, Erik Bedard, Jason Vargas, Mike Morse, J.J. Putz, Mike Carp and John Jaso, among others.

[/QUOTE]

Zduriencik has little to show for all of the above. One has to wonder if his days in Seattle are numbered? In search of young impact hitters he's traded away what amounts to a formitable rotation. The Fister trade is perhaps the one that I still don't why understand they made it. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I'd make the move yet.  The Fister trade might look worse than it actually is.  Giving up two power arms for montero looked like an overpay to me, though I assume both sides knew their own players' risks.  Signing Figgins was a reach, but I was more puzzled at moving someone that just won a GG, from 3rd to 2nd.  He had played 2nd before, but with no regularity.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]He wasnt there for Adam Jones?

Seattle GM Bill Bavasi traded Adam Jones on February 8, 2008; the Mariners named Jack Zduriencik general manager in October 2008.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonesad01.shtml#trans

Zduriencik has traded away Cliff Lee, Doug Fister, Brandon Morrow, Michael Pineda, Erik Bedard, Jason Vargas, Mike Morse, J.J. Putz, Mike Carp and John Jaso, among others.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, I knew Z was there in 2008, but it was right before him. Thanks Hill.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to lasitter's comment:

[QUOTE]

It will be interesting to see how he does. He will need to show us something to have a chance at at $6m renewal.

Or do you think we let him go strait into FA with Miller back next year?

Thornton has a $1M club option buyout. If I read the numbers correctly, the Red Sox will be on the hook for $2.47M this year and $1M next year, assuming they let him walk, which they will at that price.

[/QUOTE]

CWS send over 750K as well, so thats basically the buyout money. They wont sign him for 6M with Miller back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Certainly something had to be done to fortify the bullpen. I am not convinced that Thornton (ERA: 3.86) is the answer. I think we need even more help than he can provide. Ostensibly Cherington is not yet done fixing our Achilles heel. We gave up a player who was not in our long term plans anyway, so Thornton is worth a try. However, I am reserving judgement until I see how he performs for us in the ALE.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Great low risk move.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

Great low risk move.

+1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

[QUOTE]

For OF Brandon Jacobs

Was Jacobs with the NY GIANTS.... Should help the White sox... lots of room to run in that outfield.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure, Jacobs doesn't know how to put his down and run straight ahead.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Certainly something had to be done to fortify the bullpen. I am not convinced that Thornton (ERA: 3.86) is the answer. I think we need even more help than he can provide. Ostensibly Cherington is not yet done fixing our Achilles heel. We gave up a player who was not in our long term plans anyway, so Thornton is worth a try. However, I am reserving judgement until I see how he performs for us in the ALE.

He is lights out against LHH, not so much against RHH. It will be interesting if Farrell goes with the obvious numbers and uses him exclusively as a Loogy, or if he will force the issue and use him against RHH, to which they have an OBP north of 400 against him this year...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

He is lights out against LHH, not so much against RHH. It will be interesting if Farrell goes with the obvious numbers and uses him exclusively as a Loogy, or if he will force the issue and use him against RHH, to which they have an OBP north of 400 against him this year...

We gave up, essentially, nothing, so if Thornton ends up contributing nothing he is a zero sum gain. We still need more bullpen help, preferably someone who is more reliable than Thornton.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We gave up, essentially, nothing, so if Thornton ends up contributing nothing he is a zero sum gain. We still need more bullpen help, preferably someone who is more reliable than Thornton.

I agree. Jacobs wasnt in their future plans and was part of the rule-5 crunch.
    I like RHP Luke Gregerson from SD. One heck of a slider. Not sure if hes available though. He will probably cost more because hes not even arb eligible until next year, so he has atleast 3 more years of control. Hes really come into his own the last 2 years.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gregelu01.shtml

Its got to be a smart move that doesnt cost prospects that are part of the future, and if possible, are rule-5 eligible this year too. Who knows, maybe the other guy is already here in our system...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox613. Show sox613's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

He has been a good pitcher, maybe a bit like Scott Williamson. Let's hope unlike Grady that Farrell will know to bring him in to relieve Buch in the 8th inning of Game 7 in this years ALCS.

scott williamson had so of the nasiest stuff a pitcher could throw  he was always underated   if I remember  correctly he had an aweson hits to innings piched ratio which to me is an oh so important stat in baseball   he also had a very high k rate.  williamson was an unsung hero for sure

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

His sybil-like splits say he'll  face lefties.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He doesn't give up many dingers, and he is a little above average in walks. This year he has given up more HR's in quite awhile. Change of scenery might help. Nieves knows him, and that should help.
    WELCOME TO BOSTON

I like lefty relievers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Good solid pichup and they did not give up one of their top guys. Good deal Young Ben.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

Good solid pichup and they did not give up one of their top guys. Good deal Young Ben.

Agree, Ben is doing many things I like. Mozeliak of the Cards, does the same thing. He brings up the kids, then evaluates. You grow up together in the Farm, you get a better team. They know how to battle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

MLB Trade Rumors aggregated the reactions:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/reactions-to-the-thornton-trade.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Gave up very little it would appear but is he still effective?  He is definitely on the downside of his career but lets hope he still has something in the tank .... I did some checking and it appears that a lot White Sox fans are happy to see Thornton go...here is one of many negative comments I read...

• Finally, this guy is horrible. I can't tell you how many times he would come into a game and blow it. He couldn't even get left handers out. A bag of baseballs would've been a fair trade, getting a player in return is a plus. Matt Thornton don't let the door hit you in the @ss

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

Gave up very little it would appear but is he still effective?  He is definitely on the downside of his career but lets hope he still has something in the tank .... I did some checking and it appears that a lot White Sox fans are happy to see Thornton go...here is one of many negative comments I read...

• Finally, this guy is horrible. I can't tell you how many times he would come into a game and blow it. He couldn't even get left handers out. A bag of baseballs would've been a fair trade, getting a player in return is a plus. Matt Thornton don't let the door hit you in the @ss

The number say otherwise, and I believe them over what "a lot of White Sox fans" say. Against LHH his numbers are .232/.617 this year. If he can do that I would be happy with him on our team. He cannot be put in a position of having to face RHH though because he is at .320/.834 against them. Acquiring Thornton does not complete the task of fortifying the pen. First, Bailey has to continue the good results he has had over the past several outings and second, a good shutdown RP, either a lefty or a righty, has to be added to the mix. Then we should be OK.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.