Sox DFA Bowden and Exposito

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Sox DFA Bowden and Exposito

From MLBTraderumors.com:

The Red Sox have designated Michael Bowden and Luis Exposito for assignment, tweets Alex Speier of WEEI.com.  The moves were made to allow Boston to promote Jason Repko and Nate Spears.

Bowden, 25, was one of three supplemental first-round picks by Boston in 2005 along with Clay Buchholz and Jed Lowrie.  The right-hander has a 3.27 ERA with 7.1 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 in parts of four Triple-A seasons.  Bowden has also appeared in 39 big league games for the Red Sox over the last five years. 

Exposito, also 25, moved up to Triple-A Pawtucket last season and hit .242/.298/.367 with eight homers in 359 plate appearances.  The catcher was briefly called up to the Red Sox last June but did not appear in a game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Sox DFA Bowden and Exposito

I don't understand the DFA for Bowden. He's looked pretty good this year. I would have thought Justin Thomas would be the first pitcher to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Wow !!   I told this board that there would be changes of the roster on this home stand !!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Making room on the 40 man roster. Bull pen getting crowded with Hill and Miller coming back soon.  Pretty sure somebody will pick up Bowden. I guess the Sox prefer Atchison.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In Response to Re: Sox DFA Bowden and Exposito:
    [QUOTE]I don't understand the DFA for Bowden. He's looked pretty good this year. I would have thought Justin Thomas would be the first pitcher to go.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Agree 100 % , think Bowden has real potential. Fact that Atchison has looked so good early and Thomas is lefthanded must be the reason they were kept. But with Rich Hill and even Andrew Miller on near horizon I'd personally have kept Bowden and dfa'd Thomas. It's not as if they'd send down Fat Albers or Melancon instead.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Maybe Tampa will pick up Bowden and turn him into closer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Funny.
    He DID do some closing in Pawtuck last year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

Can't say Bowden never got a shot.  I too thought he'd stick around longer.  He'll catch on elsewhere and perhaps take off, finally.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I don't understand the Bowden thing. What did he do wrong? He hasn't been that bad, and Thomas acts like he has no business being here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

They were designated for assignment, so it doesn't mean they won't stay with the organization. They have 10 days to decide and can even bring them back on the 40-man roster.

Otherwise they have to either place the player on waivers, which has to be done in the first seven days, release the player or trade the player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

What has Bowden shown while he's been here? Nothing. If he passes waivers, he will be in Pawtucket and off the 40 man roster.

I can't believe DMac is still on the team and playing. Enough already.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]I don't understand the DFA for Bowden. He's looked pretty good this year. I would have thought Justin Thomas would be the first pitcher to go.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I don't know if Bowden has it or not, but the Sox never really gave the kid a chance, maybe a change of scenery is what he needs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya not sure i like the dfaing of bowden, especially to make room for a plug like repko. why not just give lin a chance? and if anythng we should be sending down atchison, albers or thomas. Another option, which i am not sure if anyone has brought up, could be to call up iglesias, play him at short and play aviles in the outfield. i honestly think that would be a much better option than starting someone like repko. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]ya not sure i like the dfaing of bowden, especially to make room for a plug like repko. why not just give lin a chance? and if anythng we should be sending down atchison, albers or thomas. Another option, which i am not sure if anyone has brought up, could be to call up iglesias, play him at short and play aviles in the outfield. i honestly think that would be a much better option than starting someone like repko. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

That actually makes sense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Sox DFA Bowden and Exposito": [QUOTE]ya not sure i like the dfaing of bowden, especially to make room for a plug like repko. why not just give lin a chance? and if anythng we should be sending down atchison, albers or thomas. Another option, which i am not sure if anyone has brought up, could be to call up iglesias, play him at short and play aviles in the outfield. i honestly think that would be a much better option than starting someone like repko.  Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE] Yeah, but you'd have to take Sweeny or Ross out of the lineup to do that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]Wow !!   I told this board that there would be changes of the roster on this home stand !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Bill, I hope your not saying these changes have improved the Sox, it shows the Sox only can work around the fringes of their roster. The RS for better or worse are stuck with this crew. The only players other teams would want are the players the Sox want to keep. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Sox DFA Bowden and Exposito": Yeah, but you'd have to take Sweeny or Ross out of the lineup to do that.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

I would think they could play it as well as any call-up can. I'm assuming Repko isn't a gold glover?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I guess Ozzie Guillen was right about Bowden

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Lava is ever called up, who will be the AAA catcher?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Is that really a concern?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I hope they decide to bring back Bowden.  They may be trying to attract a trade - when Miller comes back, Justin Thomas will most likely be DFA'd.  When Hill comes back, it will be Atchison.  Both may clear waivers.  Bowden is not likely to clear waivers.

The Sox liked Dan Butler enough to give him a lot of Spring Training ABs.  Maybe they want to promote him to AAA.  Ibarra could move into his slot in Portland.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Bowden doesn't make much sense.  It almost has to be one of those moves that are dependent on a couple of other moves to make sense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]What has Bowden shown while he's been here? Nothing. If he passes waivers, he will be in Pawtucket and off the 40 man roster. I can't believe DMac is still on the team and playing. Enough already.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]
    Yes we need to get rid of able bodied OFer's right now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There was a time I really liked Bowden's chances. I had seen him pitch in Portland quite often. I was a little surprised he was DFA'd, but I do think we have some equal or better options with maybe more upside. I'm waiting for Tazawa to get another shot. I could care less is Miller never gets another look. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Bowden doesn't make much sense.  It almost has to be one of those moves that are dependent on a couple of other moves to make sense.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

While it is a curious move. Bowden hasn't exactly shown that he's a a legit ML pitcher and he's had plenty of chances to prove himself. So given the value of a spot on the 40 man roster and the current needs. DFAing him allow's them to use his spot to address the Outfield (Ellsbury & Crawford). My guess is that he'll be moved in a deal within the week..