Sox sign Mujica

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Sox sign Mujica

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Solid.  Love the Tale of Two Cities 24 hours - Yankees make the frontpage splash snagging Ellsbury but net improvement for team is questionable due to signing; Sox go under radar and bolster pen with very solid arm and decent value, net improvement definite.

whenYanks don't go big, and go under the radar the moves are roundly discredited here, not that cheers are expected..just saying..Edit....irt thread subject..credit due...he is a nice get

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hey Moon, it was like my David Ross call last year. its usually the under-the-radar signings that are the tough ones to call. Good call!

Koji, Mujica, Taz, Miller, Breslow, Badenhop are all locks with Britton, Morales, and maybe a couple names like Martin, RDLR and Wilson from AAA to grab the last spot or 2.

I think there will be at least one of our current starters wearing another uni next year. Lackey and Doubront are the 2 most inquired about starters. Workman should go into the rotation next year. Stop all this junk about him being in the pen. He was used there as a necessity this year and is a potential 200+ inning pitcher with 3-4 solid MLB pitches. They arent going to waste that talent by making him a MR.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Solid.  Love the Tale of Two Cities 24 hours - Yankees make the frontpage splash snagging Ellsbury but net improvement for team is questionable due to signing; Sox go under radar and bolster pen with very solid arm and decent value, net improvement definite.

[/QUOTE] whenYanks don't go big, and go under the radar the moves are roundly discredited here, not that cheers are expected..just saying..Edit....irt thread subject..credit due...he is a nice get

[/QUOTE]

ha.  jete, around here, yankee signings, whether above or below radar, get roundly discredited. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to KRomine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hopefully this will pan out like Koji and not like Bailey or Hanrahan

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Its a good move, but will it work out? Who knows....relief pitchers are generally a crapshoot. I am not going to wait til this guy fails in July then call it a bad move because its a good move that may or may not work out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Its a good move, but will it work out? Who knows....relief pitchers are generally a crapshoot. I am not going to wait til this guy fails in July then call it a bad move because its a good move that may or may not work out.

[/QUOTE] it's all good Pumps... just apply the same principal that you do to games in which the Sox fall behind two runs after three innings  Tongue OutWink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Critter23's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon, good call Man!  You've been wanting this guy for a while.  I'm feeling great about our pen for next year, along with those coming back from injury. 

[/QUOTE]

+ Mujica

+ Badenhop

- Bailey

+ 4 more months of Peavy

+ more months of Workman & Britton

+ any prospects that become ready

hopefully + more months from Buchholz

On paper, our staff is bettter.

Only CF and 1B look like certain declines at this moment in time. More to come...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Moon, good call Man!  You've been wanting this guy for a while.  I'm feeling great about our pen for next year, along with those coming back from injury. 

[/QUOTE] Peavy,Lackey or Dempster one of these 3 won't be wearing a Red Sox uniform come ST. Too many youngsters ready for the bigs and you can't keep them all if you have no open slots.  We have presently Owens, Ranaudo, Webster, RDLR, and Workman on the cusp of the bigs! That doesn't even include Barnes, Johnson, Miller, Hernandez, and another 5 or so pitchers. The Sox are stacked in the pitching department and for those who aren't thinking ahead Mujica will become the closer no later than 2015, because Koji's contract expires after this year!

+ Mujica

+ Badenhop

- Bailey

+ 4 more months of Peavy

Only CF and 1B look like certain declines at this moment in time. More to come...

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] it's all good Pumps... just apply the same principal that you do to games in which the Sox fall behind two runs after three innings  Tongue OutWink

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Jete...apples and oranges, as they say.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+ Mujica

+ Badenhop

- Bailey

+ 4 more months of Peavy

[/QUOTE] LOL... love that name..man, i wish he was an IF Tongue Out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Jete...apples and oranges, as they say.

[/QUOTE]just busting'..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]DAD & BILL-806 are on board !!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

With mujica, taz and even Hopefully a healthy miller to set up for koji the sox have one of the best bullpens in baseball. Especially because this sets up for beslow to move back to the middle innings. This season ccan't start fast enough.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Perfect addition to the pen, another guy who seldom walks anyone, that's exactly what you want from a reliever: strikes.  Great call Moon!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

On paper its a great signing. However, there is one huge concern. Health. I have read everything from a bad back, bad elbow, bad shoulder, pulled groin and arm fatigue that lead to bad mechanics as an explanation ofhis falling apart at the end of last year. When there is so many explanations, it leads me to believe its the worst of those explanations....elbow or shoulder.

This is a signing where the doctors are as important to the decision as anybody. Hopefully they are getting better at their jobs. Because if he is healthy, he is the perfect guy to add at a fair price.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to BiggerThanMyBrady's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Posted this on the other thread.....

"Love it. Ben strikes again. While the Yankees don't have a closer, Cherrington snags a solid bullpen guy that could be considered a good closer (37 saves last year with STL). I love the emphasis Ben has put on the bullpen in his short tenure. Signing Breslow, Koji, and now Mujica. These three guys pitched a combined 198 innings in 2013 and walked 32 guys (180 K's total)! Games are won and lost with bullpens. Ask the Tigers how that goes. Smart move Ben. Way to go."

[/QUOTE]

+1

Love this deal on many levels.  Pitching wins championships, pitching builds dynasties, end of story.  It doesn't matter how you get them, but you need three rock solid bullpen guys to go far in the playoffs at minimum.  I like the consistency where we are not losing a draft pick.  We had an elite stock of bullpen arms before the season last year and the old adage, you can never have too much pitching paid off.  We won the war of attrition and we are set up to do the same. 

We have six starters and two closers.  We lost both of our closers last year we signed in Bailey and Hanrahan before we blinked.  This is a good solid move and RP's are the most unpredictable lot of the bunch as far as performance and health.

I think this team is dead set on pitching and bridging to the new generation of Sox players.  The price of free agents this year for mediocre to good, not great; meh players on the most part have been a rip off.  Very good players want to be paid like historically good players.

Don't be shocked to see both Carp and Bradley starting the year as your opening day guys right off the bat.  I think the Sox wait it out till camp while picking up a utility guy for 5 mil or less somewhere. 

The lack of value on the free agent market is going to force them to use prospects more than we are accustomed to be seeing and there will be some bumps along the road.  Guys like Byrd are getting two year deals in the 16 mil range... I mean WT_F?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to FL33178's comment:
    [QUOTE]

per Keith Law...

Tim (Vermont)

Redsox getting Mujica is a fantastic addition, am I correct?

Klaw   (12:26 PM)

They didn't pay him a ton. He's a nice bullpen piece, nothing more.

What a tool....

[/QUOTE]

Flippin douchiebag response from Law... lol

He should stick to prospects

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With Mujica and Badenhop added plus the three lefty's and Koji--that's 6--we have been carrying 8 in the pen...I am thinking perhaps either Taz or Work or both are added to the rotation with the possibility of a SS, CF or a 1 B and other pen arms. You still have Britton, DeLaRosa that can go into the rotation or stay in the pen.

I'm sure some of you other guys are ahead of me thinking of some names going and coming back.

The Winter meetings should be very interesting although a lot has been going on in the last few days. Could the Sox be looking at Kemp or dare I say a Stealth Move to swoop in and make a major offer  for Cano.

[/QUOTE]

I forgot that Taz was a starter before we turned him into a bullpen guy after we signed him.  We have him signed through 2016 with arbitration and then he is a free agent after his arbitration years.  We have a massive hole called Lester coming up next year... it is not bad to think about these moves now.  That said, by the time we work his innings back up... he would be heading out the door.

If it is anyone, it would be Workman.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon will be happy as well. He was really wanting this guy to get signed.

Great move by Ben!

[/QUOTE]

I finally got one right!

:)

[/QUOTE]

Good one to get right... I love this signing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Top 6 relievers in K/BB rate the last 4 seasons with atleast 50 innings pitched[375 pitchers qualified].

Koji Uehara-------10.92
    Junichi Tazawa----6.72
    Sergio Romo-------6.37
    Rafael Betencourt-6.31
    Edward Mujica-----6.16
    Mariano Rivera----5.57

He has thrown atleast 64 innings 5 straight years which does show durability. Dude throws strikes. He hasn't just closed recently, he "successfully" closed in a high pressure situation. Only 30 years old. Gets lefties out. If he is healthy, its a great move.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MadMc1944's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With Mujica and Badenhop added plus the three lefty's and Koji--that's 6--we have been carrying 8 in the pen...I am thinking perhaps either Taz or Work or both are added to the rotation with the possibility of a SS, CF or a 1 B and other pen arms. You still have Britton, DeLaRosa that can go into the rotation or stay in the pen.

I'm sure some of you other guys are ahead of me thinking of some names going and coming back.

The Winter meetings should be very interesting although a lot has been going on in the last few days. Could the Sox be looking at Kemp or dare I say a Stealth Move to swoop in and make a major offer  for Cano.

[/QUOTE]

I forgot that Taz was a starter before we turned him into a bullpen guy after we signed him.  We have him signed through 2016 with arbitration and then he is a free agent after his arbitration years.  We have a massive hole called Lester coming up next year... it is not bad to think about these moves now.  That said, by the time we work his innings back up... he would be heading out the door.

If it is anyone, it would be Workman.

[/QUOTE]

I mentioned Taz as a starter last winter, but I think he's found his calling.

Workman started in AAA in 2013. He's the one to start, if needed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Top 6 relievers in K/BB rate the last 4 seasons with atleast 50 innings pitched[375 pitchers qualified].

Koji Uehara-------10.92
    Junichi Tazawa----6.72
    Sergio Romo-------6.37
    Rafael Betencourt-6.31
    Edward Mujica-----6.16
    Mariano Rivera----5.57

He has thrown atleast 64 innings 5 straight years which does show durability. Dude throws strikes. He hasn't just closed recently, he "successfully" closed in a high pressure situation. Only 30 years old. Gets lefties out. If he is healthy, its a great move.

[/QUOTE]

Where did you get those stats Mav?  Do you have a link?  Is Koji that far ahead of everyone else in the league?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Koji Uehara-------10.92
    Junichi Tazawa----6.72
    Sergio Romo-------6.37
    Rafael Betencourt-6.31
    Edward Mujica-----6.16
    Mariano Rivera----5.57

[/QUOTE]

Where did you get those stats Mav?  Do you have a link?  Is Koji that far ahead of everyone else in the league?

[/QUOTE]

Got it from Fangraphs. Link doesn't work.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Is he the last of the Mujica's ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Good sign! Never enough Pitching! Will help and already strong bullpen. RS could have one of the best bullpens in baseball in 14. For yrs it seemed bullpen was our achilles heel, Nice Job Ben!