Sox eyeing Michael Young?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Sox eyeing Michael Young?

hill, GG awards are like a Cracker Jack prize. They are near meaningless.

At Young's age, I'd think Middlebrooks is a better fielding 3Bman than him... it's not by much, but I think he is better.

The defensive differentials should really be viewed like this:

A) Drew at SS not Iggy and Iggy at 3B not Middlebrooks/Snyder.

B) Iggy at SS not Drew and Young at 3B not Iggy.

The offensive side should be viewed as Drew vs Young, but if they bench Iggy after getting Young, at least vs RHPs, then that changes everything, in my opinion.

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I think a lot of posters seem to be missing the point.  I don't necessarily see Young as a plug-in at 3rd.  I see him as extra depth, like insurance going into the stretch, with him possibly contributing big in the post-season in a role that hasn't been determined yet.  He should cost the Red Sox little in terms of talent for trade.  They may have to pick up a tab for the remainder of the season, which I see more as a rainy day type fund if they're not going to use up all of their cap space to hook a big fish.  I see this as little lost, and possibly little gained, but maybe a lot gained if delivers some key hits.  

He's a rental, just like Dave Roberts, Doug Mientkiewicz, and Dave Henderson were.  Roberts and Mientkiewicz were border-line starters who would have not been happy on the bench either, but they knew they were in Boston for support roles.  I would think that Michael Young will be happy to be a part of something big too (cue Steve Allen).  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to eggplants' comment:

Hugh, it's not the clause it's the player. He doesn't belong here. Wrong guy now. See jimedfred's post earlier on this page. He's right on the money.

I quoted that post agreeing with him.  I was merely trying to point out that a no trade clause doesn't always mean a player doesn't want to play somewhere

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

If Drew is going to be playing the slow healing game made so infamous by his brother, make the trade and get rid of  the guy.  If Drew is ready to play in a couple of days then don't make the deal.  Drew better heal fast; we don't need him out for two or three weeks again.  This Drew sh@t is getting very old.  As for third base, just remember that FarrellancoMa had a brain cramp on Saturday and played the useless Jonathan Diaz there, a guy who can hit, never has hit, and also made a critical error that led to two runs in the ninth.  Now Brandon Snyder should get a few more looks.  He looked fine today and collected two hits and two RBI's.  We might not have to make the trade for Young if Snyder does his job and maybe Will gets his stroke back.

What do you mean again? If your referring to Drew being beaned in the head, then your comment is way off base. Ross can tell you take taking your time with a concussion is smart. Other than that, he was out for 2-3 games when he tweaked his back. Thats it. Just because you dont like JD please dont throw them in the same boat with no facts to back it up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Trade or no trade, injuries or no injuries, it's imperative that Iglesias is on the field and in the line-up. At this point in the season Drew is the back-up SS. I've seen enough. I've heard enough. The article I read this morning, first paragraph no less, suggested Young would replace Iggy at 3B leaving him without a full-time position. BS. What is this really about? Because of the $2Mil over-pay? Enough. Chalk-up the $5M left to InFld depth ( don't even try to trade him ). Keep Drew around in case Iggy comes-up hobbling, and fit him in where and when they can. Maybe start Drew for the first 3 or 4 innings of every game, but Iggy replaces him by the 5th at the very least. I could deal with something like that. Keeps everyone fresh. And again, this is less about what Drew has or hasn't done. It's more about Iglesias and putting the best team on the field. 

I think Texas is still paying most of Young's salary. I wonder how that would work out. 

"Don't you worry about blank, let me worry about blank"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

The Red Sox should have resigned Adrian Beltre when he was playing for the Red Sox. He is still a very productive player. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Trade or no trade, injuries or no injuries, it's imperative that Iglesias is on the field and in the line-up. At this point in the season Drew is the back-up SS. I've seen enough. I've heard enough. The article I read this morning, first paragraph no less, suggested Young would replace Iggy at 3B leaving him without a full-time position. BS. What is this really about? Because of the $2Mil over-pay? Enough. Chalk-up the $5M left to InFld depth ( don't even try to trade him ). Keep Drew around in case Iggy comes-up hobbling, and fit him in where and when they can. Maybe start Drew for the first 3 or 4 innings of every game, but Iggy replaces him by the 5th at the very least. I could deal with something like that. Keeps everyone fresh. And again, this is less about what Drew has or hasn't done. It's more about Iglesias and putting the best team on the field. 

I think Texas is still paying most of Young's salary. I wonder how that would work out. 

I think The Sox could have Snyder as the BU 3b. Or even call up Bogey next month for a BU role. AAA season end sept 2. Texas still pays 10M of Youngs deal and we would pay about 3M. Im not very high on that deal though unless we can move Drew first.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

If Drew is going to be playing the slow healing game made so infamous by his brother, make the trade and get rid of  the guy.  If Drew is ready to play in a couple of days then don't make the deal.  Drew better heal fast; we don't need him out for two or three weeks again.  This Drew sh@t is getting very old.  As for third base, just remember that FarrellancoMa had a brain cramp on Saturday and played the useless Jonathan Diaz there, a guy who can hit, never has hit, and also made a critical error that led to two runs in the ninth.  Now Brandon Snyder should get a few more looks.  He looked fine today and collected two hits and two RBI's.  We might not have to make the trade for Young if Snyder does his job and maybe Will gets his stroke back.

What season are you watching? I'd be curious to find out when Drew was out two or three weeks since the start of the regular season. Drew missed the first six games of the season (one week). Since then he has played in 66 games, fifth-most on the team, and the most games in a row he has missed since then are ....

.... Drum roll please ....

... two on two occassions. Games 43 and 44 and Games 83 and 84.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

What do you mean again? If your referring to Drew being beaned in the head, then your comment is way off base. Ross can tell you take taking your time with a concussion is smart. Other than that, he was out for 2-3 games when he tweaked his back. Thats it. Just because you dont like JD please dont throw them in the same boat with no facts to back it up.

[/QUOTE]

I'm referring to Drew's problems with the D'Backs.  He suffered a broken ankle a couple of years back and when it healed and he was cleared to play he didn't want to go back in there.  He said he wanted to be perfect even though the doctors he was now healed.  He then was rudely called out by the Arizona front office and accused of malingering and then promptly dealt to the A's who made no attempt to resign him last winter.  What I said had nothing to do with the concussion.  It has everything to do with the fact that he has already shown that he is like his brother in that he  tends to stretch things out to the point of ridiculousness.  Well, let's see how long he is out this time.  If he is back within two or three more games, remind me to let me know you told me so.  If we see in a week or two that he is still out you can bet I will revisit this topic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm referring to Drew's problems with the D'Backs.  He suffered a broken ankle a couple of years back and when it healed and he was cleared to play he didn't want to go back in there.  He said he wanted to be perfect even though the doctors he was now healed.  He then was rudely called out by the Arizona front office and accused of malingering and then promptly dealt to the A's who made no attempt to resign him last winter.  What I said had nothing to do with the concussion.  It has everything to do with the fact that he has already shown that he is like his brother in that he  tends to stretch things out to the point of ridiculousness.  Well, let's see how long he is out this time.  If he is back within two or three more games, remind me to let me know you told me so.  If we see in a week or two that he is still out you can bet I will revisit this topic.

[/QUOTE]

None of us know what Drew was feeling in his ankle. He had pins inserted for a major break that kept him out for a year. Thats serious stuff. The D-Backs wanted him to get back and play because they wanted to trade him. At least thats what some people I know close to the organization said. If a player still doesnt feel comfortable after a major injury like that it should be understandable. Comparing him to his brother, who wouldnt play if he felt a slight twinge in his back, is a bit off.

The A's only wanted him for a PO run and had no intention of resigning him anyway.

He was starting to get red hot before the hammy thing, and in a contract year I doubt he wants to sit on the bench. His injury this year isnt comparable to what happened to him 2 years ago.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I broke a bone once.....am I related to a Drew?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The A's only wanted him for a PO run and had no intention of resigning him anyway.

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Oakland Athletics exercised their $4.5 million contract option for closer Grant Balfour on Monday, while the AL West champions declined their half of a $10 million mutual option for shortstop Stephen Drew.

Drew receives a $1.35 million buyout, though assistant general manager David Forst said the team would continue to negotiate with his representatives and try to sign him.

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

hill, GG awards are like a Cracker Jack prize. They are near meaningless.

At Young's age, I'd think Middlebrooks is a better fielding 3Bman than him... it's not by much, but I think he is better.

The defensive differentials should really be viewed like this:

A) Drew at SS not Iggy and Iggy at 3B not Middlebrooks/Snyder.

B) Iggy at SS not Drew and Young at 3B not Iggy.

The offensive side should be viewed as Drew vs Young, but if they bench Iggy after getting Young, at least vs RHPs, then that changes everything, in my opinion.

Sox4ever

I think the pitching staff should be allowed an anonymous vote on who they'd prefer at SS. 

What do we want? Democracy!

When do we want it? Now!

Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I'd much rather go w/ internal solutions for 3rd, use any prospects for a solid starting pitcher.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Just read on MLBTR that Sox are sending a scout on their West coast trip to look at the Cubs. It didn't say why. Then felt compelled to mentioned that any significant trade would cost the Sox 2 or 3 of their Top Prospects, but never mentioned who they were looking at. Then it referred to a Chi. writer named Sullivan. Clicked on the Sullivan link and it went to an article that never mentioned anything about any scout, any prospects or any trade rumor what-so-ever. Gotta love it. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

None of us know what Drew was feeling in his ankle. He had pins inserted for a major break that kept him out for a year. Thats serious stuff. The D-Backs wanted him to get back and play because they wanted to trade him. At least thats what some people I know close to the organization said. If a player still doesnt feel comfortable after a major injury like that it should be understandable. Comparing him to his brother, who wouldnt play if he felt a slight twinge in his back, is a bit off.

He was starting to get red hot before the hammy thing, and in a contract year I doubt he wants to sit on the bench. His injury this year isnt comparable to what happened to him 2 years ago.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly

According to Derek Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, both the Oakland A’s and the Cardinals were very interested in Drew, but Drew chose Boston over both of them. (Google it yourself if you doubt me.)  MLBTR also cited the Yankees (third base) and the Tigers (second base) as interested teams, but Drew gave priority to teams that wanted him as a shortstop.  And as a free agent, this was absolutely his prerogative.

The DBacks ownership, not the GM, called out several players last year for their performance, including Drew and also Justin Upton.   This was clearly related to tradability, as was shown later when they did some house cleaning this off-season.  They called Drew out for not getting back, and Upton out for playing through his injury.   Their thoughts on the matter were clearly too laden with frustration, and therefore have compromised credibility. 

The truth of the matter is, most Sox fans want to dislike Drew because they either refuse to or cannot separate him from his brother, and because they see the shiny new toy in Iglesias they want instead.  Yet there is room for both on the team at the expense of the vastly overrated Will Middlebrooks, who is potential trade fodder this month anyway…

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Oakland Athletics exercised their $4.5 million contract option for closer Grant Balfour on Monday, while the AL West champions declined their half of a $10 million mutual option for shortstop Stephen Drew.

Drew receives a $1.35 million buyout, though assistant general manager David Forst said the team would continue to negotiate with his representatives and try to sign him.

Sox4ever

yes, at a very low cost. So basically, no, they werent going to sign him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly

According to Derek Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, both the Oakland A’s and the Cardinals were very interested in Drew, but Drew chose Boston over both of them. (Google it yourself if you doubt me.)  MLBTR also cited the Yankees (third base) and the Tigers (second base) as interested teams, but Drew gave priority to teams that wanted him as a shortstop.  And as a free agent, this was absolutely his prerogative.

The DBacks ownership, not the GM, called out several players last year for their performance, including Drew and also Justin Upton.   This was clearly related to tradability, as was shown later when they did some house cleaning this off-season.  They called Drew out for not getting back, and Upton out for playing through his injury.   Their thoughts on the matter were clearly too laden with frustration, and therefore have compromised credibility. 

The truth of the matter is, most Sox fans want to dislike Drew because they either refuse to or cannot separate him from his brother, and because they see the shiny new toy in Iglesias they want instead.  Yet there is room for both on the team at the expense of the vastly overrated Will Middlebrooks, who is potential trade fodder this month anyway…

[/QUOTE]

Thank You. At least Im not the only one that realized this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Is Young really that much better than Drew on offense?

If yes (and I think he is better), if the upgrade worth the cost in prospects?

I think these are the sorts of questions we should be focusing on for all the trades this year.

We might be able to pretty well fill a number of needs from players we have on the farm at low cost.

The question is how much better the other guy is, and then you have to monetize that difference somehow.

Our prospects are worth a lot as far as I'm concerned, so I'm not nearly so eager to jump on deals that some others are focusing on here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

This issue of Drew may be settled very shortly. WMB had a monster night for AAA. They may move Drew to the DL, retroactive, then assign him to AAA to rehab--I think the DL allows WMB to come back in time for the Western trip and AS break. WMB comes up, Drew DL, Diaz stays as Super Sub, Snyder goes down.

I do see the Sox making a move for Young as the Super sub for the balance of the year and as insurance for Drew and Nap.    OR  for a lesser move Kevin Frandsen as a true super sub--plays every position (not sure about C).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

This issue of Drew may be settled very shortly. WMB had a monster night for AAA. They may move Drew to the DL, retroactive, then assign him to AAA to rehab--I think the DL allows WMB to come back in time for the Western trip and AS break. WMB comes up, Drew DL, Diaz stays as Super Sub, Snyder goes down.

I do see the Sox making a move for Young as the Super sub for the balance of the year and as insurance for Drew and Nap.    OR  for a lesser move Kevin Frandsen as a true super sub--plays every position (not sure about C).

Young can't play defense at third, but you want him for backup shortstop ?  If you like carping / backbiting / complaining / etc . in the clubhouse, get Young and sit him on the bench. Heck, while at it, let's bring back Shoppach, Manny Ram, Clemens, Carl Everett, Hillebrand, and any other me-first, screw the team guys we can find.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Middy had a good game last night, but remember, he was 6-25 before last night which is just below .250. I keep him down until at least after the ASB. He needs to have consistent AB's and games, not just one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

[QUOTE]

Young can't play defense at third, but you want him for backup shortstop ?  If you like carping / backbiting / complaining / etc . in the clubhouse, get Young and sit him on the bench. Heck, while at it, let's bring back Shoppach, Manny Ram, Clemens, Carl Everett, Hillebrand, and any other me-first, screw the team guys we can find.

[/QUOTE]

Your criticism of Young's defense has some merit, but I'm not buying into the idea that he'll be a clubhouse problem.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to jimedfred's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your criticism of Young's defense has some merit, but I'm not buying into the idea that he'll be a clubhouse problem.  

[/QUOTE]

Jason merit because he's been a problem in the clubhouse several times before????? Saying he will not be a problem in the clubhouse because he will somehow be different here hasn't Merit.

Drew is coming back.  WMB is underratedby many on this board and may likely be back in the picture soon.  Snyder at the very least is a good back up who can fill in as a starter here and there. Iglesias is still mashing it and can play multiple positions and we have an all around baseball top prospect phenom at SS who's playing 3B now in Pawtucket knocking on the door.

If there was ever a time NOT to trade and give up prospects for guy with multiple question marks at a position that has many in house alternatives NOW is that time. 

25. This post has been removed.