SOX- GO GET GARZA to fill rotation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

SOX- GO GET GARZA to fill rotation

I would think the Sox could get Garza from Cubs. Theo does owe the Sox something does he not? He left the club in disarray. Get it done boys.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: SOX- GO GET GARZA to fill rotation

In Response to SOX- GO GET GARZA to fill rotation:
    [QUOTE]I would think the Sox could get Garza from Cubs. Theo does owe the Sox something does he not? He left the club in disarray. Get it done boys.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

I'll welcome him with open arms IF Sox gets the deal done with the Cubs somehow.  But I think it will be tough task for Big Ben to acquire Garza especially from Theo.  Theo knows our farm system too well.  He knows our prospects.  He knows our situation.  Theo will be asking more from us than from other teams because he knows how to take advantage on us. 
    Plus Garza will be expensive.  He had a good season with Cubs and multiple teams are showing interest.  It took Cubs to spend 4 prospects to get the deal done last year.  With his best season on his back now, it will take more than 4 prospects now.  I don't think the Sox have a chance. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to SOX- GO GET GARZA to fill rotation:
    [QUOTE]I would think the Sox could get Garza from Cubs. Theo does owe the Sox something does he not? He left the club in disarray. Get it done boys.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]
    Would you agree with this assessment by Boston Globe beat reporter Peter Abraham?

"Getting a pitcher like Garza for two years is worth giving up Anthony Ranaudo and a decent position player like Kolbrin Vitek."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/11/garza_to_the_re.html

Three years of Matt Garza cost the Cubs Chris ArcherHak-Ju Lee, Robinson Chirinos, Sam Fuld and Brandon Guyer. Of course. the Red Sox already need compensation for Theo Epstein.

http://www.soxprospects.com/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I still think the compensation can play a role. Garza is young and would bolster the Sox rotation for sure. I would hope the Sox are working on it. Theo left this team  a mess. So, make it right Theo. Get a deal done for Garza.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: SOX- GO GET GARZA to fill rotation:
    [QUOTE]In Response to SOX- GO GET GARZA to fill rotation : Would you agree with this assessment by Boston Globe beat reporter Peter Abraham? "Getting a pitcher like Garza for two years is worth giving up Anthony Ranaudo and a decent position player like Kolbrin Vitek." http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/11/garza_to_the_re.html Three years of Matt Garza cost the Cubs Chris Archer ,  Hak-Ju Lee , Robinson Chirinos , Sam Fuld and Brandon Guyer . Of course. the Red Sox already need compensation for Theo Epstein. http://www.soxprospects.com/
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Heck no way that Boston wnted to trade their best pitching prospect.  Right now their farm system do not have a very deep numbers of pitchers that could be a major league level pitcher within five years from now. Therefore, Boston rather to part away more of a positional prospect like Iggy, Reddick, etc. Middlebrook may be untouchable cuz of Youkilis's situation where he could bolt from the team after 2012 season.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SOX- GO GET GARZA to fill rotation : Heck no way that Boston wnted to trade their best pitching prospect.  Right now their farm system do not have a very deep numbers of pitchers that could be a major league level pitcher within five years from now. Therefore, Boston rather to part away more of a positional prospect like Iggy, Reddick, etc. Middlebrook may be untouchable cuz of Youkilis's situation where he could bolt from the team after 2012 season.
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]
    The Angels just gave up their top young pitcher -- 21-year-old Tyler Chatwood -- for one year of catcher Chris Iannetta, who is coming off a 3.3 WAR* season. Chatwood was Baseball America's 76th-ranked prospect entering the season before struggling in 25 MLB starts.

Matt Garza is coming off a 5.0 WAR season while 22-year-old Anthony Ranaudo, who entered the season as Baseball America's 67th-ranked prospect, was less-than-impressive in Single A ball.

Two years of a 28-year-old 5.0 WAR player will cost significantly more than one year of a 28-year-old 3.3 WAR player. The Red Sox might not be able to afford the price.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Well, I still think the Sox can acquire Garza and if I knew how, then I guess I would be part of the front office. Welcome Valentine. Now get to work and resurrect D-K's career.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Theo owes the Sox nothing...and to think the Cubs would give up Garza is really stretching it.  Somehow the Sox fans tend to think that players coming to Boston should be thankful and forget about the money side of things.  With the season Garza had for the Cubs he would be an expensive trade for the Sox...even from our good buddy Theo who loves the Sox so dearly...probably as much as we love him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

Thanks Zac for continuing to stir the pot,  Geez, just go away.  Is it not possible to have a conversation WITHOUT your ( skanky) input? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEKSox2. Show NEKSox2's posts

So, if the Sox somehow manage to get Garza, will folks stop calling him Goat-Boy?

Now, with my fifty-nine-year-old sieve brain, I'm wondering, "Was it him we used that name for?"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SOX- GO GET GARZA to fill rotation : The Angels just gave up their top young pitcher -- 21-year-old Tyler Chatwood -- for one year of catcher Chris Iannetta, who is coming off a 3.3 WAR* season. Chatwood was Baseball America 's 76th-ranked prospect entering the season before struggling in 25 MLB starts. Matt Garza is coming off a 5.0 WAR season while 22-year-old Anthony Ranaudo, who entered the season as Baseball America 's 67th-ranked prospect, was less-than-impressive in Single A ball. Two years of a 28-year-old 5.0 WAR player will cost significantly more than one year of a 28-year-old 3.3 WAR player. The Red Sox might not be able to afford the price.  * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

He's averaged 3.1 WAR over the past 4 years.  Two years of 3.1 * $4.5M yields a contribution of $27.9M.  His salary for two years will be $20M, yielding a net value of ~ $8M.  That might be worth Renaudo.

OTOH, guys like Floyd might come a good bit cheaper.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SOX- GO GET GARZA to fill rotation : He's averaged 3.1 WAR over the past 4 years.  Two years of 3.1 * $4.5M yields a contribution of $27.9M.  His salary for two years will be $20M, yielding a net value of ~ $8M.  That might be worth Renaudo. OTOH, guys like Floyd might come a good bit cheaper.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    Nice analysis.

Over the past four years Gavin Floyd has been valued at 14.9 WAR* for an average of 3.7+, or about $16.2 million a year (or $32.4 million over the remaining two years of his contract, including the team option for 2013). Floyd is owed a combined $16.5 million for those two years, yielding a net value of about $15.9 million.

I'm not convinced Gavin Floyd would come cheaper.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Given the Red Sox claim for compensation from Inesptein path of destruction, I'd say Lowrie for Garza should do it. Lowrie and Theo deserve one another, as that was Theo's Cal Ripken project. 

Epstein is trying to get gifts on a high mileage arm like Garza. No way will Epstein compensation be settled if Epstein is at the table. Screw it to Epstein! Get Garza for Lowrie, via Selig.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Garza woulde be a bad fit, he likes beer ands hotdogs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]So, if the Sox somehow manage to get Garza, will folks stop calling him Goat-Boy? Now, with my fifty-nine-year-old sieve brain, I'm wondering, "Was it him we used that name for?"
    Posted by NEKSox2[/QUOTE]

Only if he stops spitting foamy cotton balls twice a second for his entire outing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Gotta love it when people insist we get GArza but not give Middlebrooks or Renaudo.  He will cost at least one of those two.  No other options...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to SOX- GO GET GARZA to fill rotation : I'll welcome him with open arms IF Sox gets the deal done with the Cubs somehow.  But I think it will be tough task for Big Ben to acquire Garza especially from Theo.  Theo knows our farm system too well.  He knows our prospects.  He knows our situation.  Theo will be asking more from us than from other teams because he knows how to take advantage on us.  Plus Garza will be expensive.  He had a good season with Cubs and multiple teams are showing interest.  It took Cubs to spend 4 prospects to get the deal done last year.  With his best season on his back now, it will take more than 4 prospects now.  I don't think the Sox have a chance. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

First, it did not take 4 prospects to get Garza last year.  It took 2 BA Top 100 prospects, 2 career minor leaguers and Sam Fuld to get Garza and two other players.

Second, his price did not go up.  His sevice time dropped.  That is very significant.

Third, expect a comparable deal to be Shaun Marcum, who is basically the same pitcher and was dealt even up for Brett Lawrie.  While the Sox have no one as good as Lawrie in their system, they could match up with a package like Cafardo's suggestion of Renaudo and Vitek (also known as the "Billy Wagner Compensation Package"), or potentially Middlebrooks and someone like Britton.  There are pros and cons to each package...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Gotta love it when people insist we get GArza but not give Middlebrooks or Renaudo.  He will cost at least one of those two.  No other options...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Will Middllebrooks would be somewhat redundant with Cub prospect Josh Vitters, another righthand-hitting 200-pound thirdbaseman taken in the 2007 draft (Vitters in the first round and Middlebrooks in the fifth round).

Here are the comparative minor league stats (Middlebrooks' 16 games at Triple A were the only appearances above Double A for either player):

Middlebrooks DOB 9-9-88, 1606 PA, .272/.330/.440/.770, 121 BB, 431 K
    Josh Vitters DOB 8-27-89, 1666 PA, .277/.319/.439/.758, 71 BB, 246 K

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If you are giving up future players that are currently our best prospects give them up to the Angels for Dan Haren and not Garza. I don't care whether Haren has pitched in the AL East or the North Pole---or what his WHIP is or his WAR is  the guy knows how to pitch.

It will definitely take  Ranaudo, Middlebrooks or Bogaerts and perhaps a roster player--perhaps Lowrie or Reddick to include Mathis in return.

I think now that there is a new manager there may not be the absolute need to trade Beckett unless he doesn't agree that speeding  up his game is important for his teammates game concentration and keeping batters guessing, he will be gone before ST. I still think one of the Texas teams would be a good trade partner for him. I could see the Astros in return for Wandy and a Carlos Lee. Including Reddick and Iggy if Lee is included. Lee could do some damage as a DH or inserting him in LF--with CC moving to RF.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I dont think the Sox have the prospects to trump the Yankees if they are involved. It seems they have strong interest as well.
    No question as to Garza's value, but I feel Ranaudo is being short changed on his potential, regardless of his struggles. Ceiling is still a strong #2.