Sox interested in Gavin Floyd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

Sox interested in Gavin Floyd

According to MLBTRADERUMORS, Sox continue to show interest in Floyd. If they are able to pull this off, wouldn't this acquisition be less risky than Oswalt?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Sox interested in Gavin Floyd

In Response to Sox interested in Gavin Floyd:
    According to MLBTRADERUMORS, Sox continue to show interest in Floyd. If they are able to pull this off, wouldn't this acquisition be less risky than Oswalt?
    Posted by wvwc61

Perhaps less risky in the short-term, but riskier in the long run because the required prospects would further deplete the Red Sox farm system.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not sure who mentioned his name first (it wasn't me), but I have been championing looking seriously at this guy for over a month now. He's pretty inexpensive, and the White Sox could be willing to look to rebuild.

I'd offer Middlebrooks, Bowden, Anderson, and Britton.

(I might go as high as Middlebrooks, Ranaudo, and Bowden. )

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Sox interested in Gavin Floyd:
    Agree with moonslav, they really can't be thinking about a deep postseason run with the starters they currently have.
    Posted by davetheknave

I actually think Cecchini and Bogaerts are better choices to take Youk's place in 2014 than Middlebrooks anyway.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Makes more sense than Oswalt, IMO. Give up more but you have someone for more than one year. DiceK will be gone after this year and you never know with Lackey. I would do it with prospects. I don't think it will happen. Williams only like trading with Cashman.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Stockpile enough of these B guys, we might hit on one or two and have enough pitching. Get him if the price isn't too high.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Makes more sense than Oswalt, IMO. Give up more but you have someone for more than one year. DiceK will be gone after this year and you never know with Lackey. I would do it with prospects. I don't think it will happen. Williams only like trading with Cashman.
    Posted by NegativeTrollsAbound

People are worried about us keeping "our future". I understand the concern, but I think between Cecchini and Bogaerts we will be Ok at 3B, and with all the draft picks we had in 2011 and this year, our system will be reloaded soon.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Interesting that the Sox are using the approach NYY used last year during the offseason.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Interesting that the Sox are using the approach NYY used last year during the offseason.
    Posted by TheExaminer

And, the Yanks are using the Sox approach from 2010-2011: sign aged players at over-priced rates, and trade top prospects for good talent.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Sox interested in Gavin Floyd":
    In Response to Re: Sox interested in Gavin Floyd : yeah except you are leaving out the part where they tried hard to sign lee & andy Posted by pinstripezac
    Tried and failed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Sox interested in Gavin Floyd : I actually think Cecchini and Bogaerts are better choices to take Youk's place in 2014 than Middlebrooks anyway.
    Posted by moonslav59

The White Sox would likely prefer Garin Cecchini and/or Xander Bogaerts as well.

If Gavin Floyd goes on the trade block, an offer of Will Middlebrooks, Michael Bowden, Lars Anderson and Drake Britton might not be competitive. Bowden last appeared on Baseball America's top 10 Red Sox prospect list in November 2008 while Anderson and Britton currently appear on neither the BA Red Sox top 10 list nor John Sickels' list of top 22 Red Sox prospects. We agree on the question marks surrounding Middlebrooks, whom BA ranks No. 1 and Sickels No. 3 in the Red Sox organization.

The Red Sox are in a tough situation because the Sox likely have neither the payroll flexibility nor the prospects to make significant upgrades.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Sox interested in Gavin Floyd : The White Sox would likely prefer Garin Cecchini and/or Xander Bogaerts as well. If Gavin Floyd goes on the trade block, an offer of Will Middlebrooks, Michael Bowden, Lars Anderson and Drake Britton might not be competitive. Bowden last appeared on Baseball America's top 10 Red Sox prospect list in November 2008 while Anderson and Britton currently appear on neither the BA Red Sox top 10 list nor John Sickels' list of top 22 Red Sox prospects. We agree on the question marks surrounding Middlebrooks, whom BA ranks No. 1 and Sickels No. 3 in the Red Sox organization. The Red Sox are in a tough situation because the Sox likely have neither the payroll flexibility nor the prospects to make significant upgrades.
    Posted by hill55

Not necessarily.

So far, all of the big pitching blockbuster trades (Pineda, Cahill, Gonzalez, Latos, etc.) were for pitchers with 4 or more years of control remaining.  Floyd has only 2.

A better comparable might be Shaun Marcum, who was dealt straight up for Brett Lawrie.  Marcum is a better pitcher than Floyd, and Lawrie is better than Middlebrooks.  I'd expect the Sox to have to add something, but I wouldn't expect Boegarts or Cecchini to be anywhere in the mix.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox interested in Gavin Floyd : Not necessarily. So far, all of the big pitching blockbuster trades (Pineda, Cahill, Gonzalez, Latos, etc.) were for pitchers with 4 or more years of control remaining.  Floyd has only 2. A better comparable might be Shaun Marcum, who was dealt straight up for Brett Lawrie.  Marcum is a better pitcher than Floyd, and Lawrie is better than Middlebrooks.  I'd expect the Sox to have to add something, but I wouldn't expect Boegarts or Cecchini to be anywhere in the mix.
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Brett Lawrie was far more highly regarded a year ago than Xander Bogaerts and Garin Cecchini are regarded today.

Gavin Floyd has been valued at 14.6 WAR in 165 career games, including 153 starts, with WAR of 4.5, 4.3 and 3.6 the past three seasons. Shaun Marcum, who is a year older than Floyd, has been valued at 10.1 WAR in 153 career games, including 128 starts, with WAR of 2.0, 3.6 and 2.7 the past three seasons.

Floyd should command at least the return that Marcum commanded.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ok no way i would give up middlebrooks for floyd. he is a mediocre pitcher at best. yes he would be worth a shot for guys like doubront, bowden, anderson. but not good prospects.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Floyd's a 10 to 13 win pitcher and + or - 200 innings--they have a couple of decent 3 b's in Chicago--I would see perhaps Wilson from AAA and Bowden or 1 for 1 ,either Britton, Pimentel, or, I hate to part with Ranaudo.

There's so much negotiating going on--we'll probably all be shocked when and if it happens.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Red Sox are in a tough situation because the Sox likely have neither the payroll flexibility nor the prospects to make significant upgrades.

We have "the prospects", but just don't want to part with them. Lava is probably not on the table, but I think we could give 3 or 4 for 1 and please Chicago enough to pull the trigger.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

ok no way i would give up middlebrooks for floyd. he is a mediocre pitcher at best. yes he would be worth a shot for guys like doubront, bowden, anderson. but not good prospects.

Take a look around MLB.

In the AL last year you have to go to 80 IP to find 70 starters (14 teams x 5 starters).
    Floyd was 23rd in xFIP and 15th in WHIP.

2009-2011:
    19th in WHIP at 1.25
    18th in SIERA at 3.73
    13th in xFIP at 3.68

These numbers suggest he is an AL 2 slot starter. We'd use him in our 4 slot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The Red Sox always seem to be "interested", but never want to pull the trigger. and according to the latest on MLBTR, (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/al-east-links-montero-kuroda-red-sox-yankees.html)
    Gentle Ben says it's unlikely that he'll make any changes to the roster before ST.
    Well Ben, you built it, will they come?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox are in a tough situation because the Sox likely have neither the payroll flexibility nor the prospects to make significant upgrades. We have "the prospects", but just don't want to part with them. Lava is probably not on the table, but I think we could give 3 or 4 for 1 and please Chicago enough to pull the trigger.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I'm struggling with this because it seems to me if we give up 3 or 4 for 1 as you suggest, Moon, I'm not comfortable enough with Floyd to pull the trigger on that one. I'd prefer someone with a little more upside than Floyd.  Not sure who - just that Floyd doesn't really do it for me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]ok no way i would give up middlebrooks for floyd. he is a mediocre pitcher at best. yes he would be worth a shot for guys like doubront, bowden, anderson. but not good prospects.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]
    Over the past three seasons Gavin Floyd ranks 16th among all pitchers in WAR, just ahead of San Francisco's Matt Cain and Philadelphia's Cole Hamels.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox interested in Gavin Floyd : Over the past three seasons Gavin Floyd ranks 16th among all pitchers in WAR, just ahead of San Francisco's Matt Cain and Philadelphia's Cole Hamels. * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Hill, that surprises me.  My perception was also that Floyd is mediocre, but I guess I was wrong.  Thanks for putting things in perspective.