Sox looking for shortstop?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

Sox looking for shortstop?

Apperently the sox are in the market for a shortstop...
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/al-east-notes-red-sox-rays-orioles-jays.html

There are only a couple of ways of looking at this:
    -If a good shortstop is signed scut then becomes the utility infielder... with Lowrie, Aviles, and Iglesias already in the system? I hope not
    -If a lower end shortstop is signed it becomes the backup shortstop... again the sox have Lowrie, Aviles, and Iglesias? Again I hope not
    -A good shortstop is signed and scutaro is moved to third and youk is either moved to DH or traded... It would have to be a good shortstop since we have Lowrie, Aviles, and Iglesias who can all do just as well as a lower end shortstop

The first two would be a waste and the third would be a near waste. The only two shortstops who have the ability to do a lot better than the sox' three backup shortstops are Reyes and Rollins. Both are going to cost a lot of money and years (Reyes ofcourse will cost more seeing as he is better). Rollins has not even done that well and he is somewhat prone to injuries. Plus he wants something like 5 years. And Reyes is talented but he draws a lot of comparisons with Crawford in terms of overpaying for him and it is not a matter of IF he gets injured its WHEN... For me i dont see a reason to be looking at a shortstop. If you can think of anything let me know!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Sox looking for shortstop?

If Youk is traded and Scutaro is my everyday third baseman I will suspend my fandom for one year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

I seriously doubt the Sox go after Reyes, but I think it is their job to at least due their job and inquire.  With limited power and RBI guys out there, the Sox could have a back-up plan that revolves around a little different style of offense - ala Angels run to WS title a few years back. 

Think about how good an offense would be with Ellsbury and Reyes batting 1-2 ahead of Pedey, Gonzo, Youk and Papi.  Scutaro becomes a very busy utility guy, playing 4-5 times a week while the Sox rest Papi, Gonzo, Youk and Pedey more frequently to stay healthy.  I would take that as Scutaro was a very good botttom of the lineup hitter last year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

If the Sox were to sign Reyes, which they will not do IMO, then Scutaro and Iglesias both become trade bait.  There is no way Scutaro moves over to 3B.  He can barely reach 1b from the SS hole.  He simply does not have the arm for 3B.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Maybe Scutaro is trade bait?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Or, Youk is the DH, Scutty and Lowrie platoon 3B and the new SS plays SS.

I seriously doubt we paid Scutty $6M to be the utility IF'er when we already have Aviles.

Maybe a team will take Scutty in trade, but at $6M, who?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Sox looking for shortstop?:
    [QUOTE]Or, Youk is the DH, Scutty and Lowrie platoon 3B and the new SS plays SS. I seriously doubt we paid Scutty $6M to be the utility IF'er when we already have Aviles. Maybe a team will take Scutty in trade, but at $6M, who?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

How many times do I need to answer this?.

The $6mill pricetag makes him cheaper than Reyes and Rollins.  And the rest of the SS market is utility players.

If you were a GM of a team that needed a shortstop, and you could not affrod Reyes and did not want to give 33yo Jimmy Rollins the 5 years he wants, wouldn't you look into Scutaro?

Especially if you were a team like the Phillies.  No SS.  Expensive team, not getting younger.  I'm sure there is a contract lying around your dugout that might interest Boston a little.  (Blanton?)

Atlanta, also.  Need a SS.  Not as old as Philly, but coming off a horrednous September collapse.  They could use a guy who was hitting that month.

Or how about the Pirates?  Good for half a season last year.  Everyone has another year experience now  And it ispossible that both Fielder and Pujols are leaving the division.  Time to make a move and get an actual shortstop?

Colorado also needs infield help everywhere (except SS), and has a very expensive closer they no longer want to pay.

There is potential to move the guy...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just because he's cheaper than Reyes, doesn't mean a team is willing to pay $6M and part with players to get him.

While it's true that the FA market does not have many good hitting SSs on the market, most NL teams realy value defense at SS.

I could see us making a trade for a higher priced SS and/or starter pitcher and Scutty being part of the deal.

How's this one?

Trade: Ellsbury, Scutaro, Salty, Weiland and Bowden

For: Wieters (3 arbs left after this winter) , J. Guthrie (~$7-8M on last arb year--extend him) and JJ Hardy (~$15M/2 left)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Now you've got two holes to fill in the OF and less money to play with.  Not that the Orioles would do it anyway (trade Weiters, and to a division rival)...

If Ellsbury is traded it should be for something a bit better than Guthrie, IMO.  And catcher is not a big enough need to justify trading perhaps your most valuable chip.  Salty is more than servicable as catcher, and Lavarnway might end up being better than Weiters, at least when you consider the whole package (defense and offense).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Q. 1--If you could sign Reyes or Rollins for the years they are looking for which would you choose?

Q. 2--Would you keep CC or trade him? If you move CC where and who would be the suspects? 

D'backs--Upton and prospects? 
    Dodgers--Ethier and a prospect?
    Astros--Wandy Rodriguez and Carlos Lee. CC would be a nice draw in his hometown with new ownership.
    Other ideas...

Q. 3--Scutaro would be headed to Philly--what would you expect in return? Blanton is an overpriced #5 starter. They would love to move Blanton and extend Hamels.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Sox looking for shortstop?:
    [QUOTE]Apperently the sox are in the market for a shortstop... http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/al-east-notes-red-sox-rays-orioles-jays.html There are only a couple of ways of looking at this: -If a good shortstop is signed scut then becomes the utility infielder... with Lowrie, Aviles, and Iglesias already in the system? I hope not -If a lower end shortstop is signed it becomes the backup shortstop... again the sox have Lowrie, Aviles, and Iglesias? Again I hope not -A good shortstop is signed and scutaro is moved to third and youk is either moved to DH or traded... It would have to be a good shortstop since we have Lowrie, Aviles, and Iglesias who can all do just as well as a lower end shortstop The first two would be a waste and the third would be a near waste. The only two shortstops who have the ability to do a lot better than the sox' three backup shortstops are Reyes and Rollins. Both are going to cost a lot of money and years (Reyes ofcourse will cost more seeing as he is better). Rollins has not even done that well and he is somewhat prone to injuries. Plus he wants something like 5 years. And Reyes is talented but he draws a lot of comparisons with Crawford in terms of overpaying for him and it is not a matter of IF he gets injured its WHEN... For me i dont see a reason to be looking at a shortstop. If you can think of anything let me know!
    Posted by soxforlife22[/QUOTE]

This is a very interesting article since we now have "four players" in Aviles, Lowrie, Scuter and Iglesias who are really SS's.  Shopping for another doesn't say much about the organizations confidence in Iglesias being ML ready in the near future.  Youk just may be on Bens shopping list for a SP or will be our new DH. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

We can all see that Theo is not going to get us squat in return. We can also see where the Sox are looking to get something good in return so.

Why not trade Jose Iglesias ( Theo's Boy) with another prospect , & Theo
    for Starlin Castro. I know some are but I am not high on Iglesias. He has the hype
    but so did so many others who did squat.

I also say let Papi walk if he wants to much $$$ & sign Ramirez for 3B & let Youk DH
    & fill in at 3B & 1B.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Q. 1--If you could sign Reyes or Rollins for the years they are looking for which would you choose?

Neither, but if I had to choose, the cheaper of the two- Rollins.

Q. 2--Would you keep CC or trade him? If you move CC where and who would be the suspects? 

We'd have to give $50M. He's staying.

D'backs--Upton and prospects? 

Not a chance.

Dodgers--Ethier and a prospect?

Not a chance.

Astros--Wandy Rodriguez and Carlos Lee. CC would be a nice draw in his hometown with new ownership.

Carlos has a no trade claues and wants to retire in Houston.

Other ideas...

Find a team with a salary dump in an area we need.

Q. 3--Scutaro would be headed to Philly--what would you expect in return? Blanton is an overpriced #5 starter. They would love to move Blanton and extend Hamels.

Maybe if they pay aprt of Blanton's deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Furcal is the best deal on the market. A SH with a great arm, above average defense, and speed.
    To me, if the Sox are serious about acquiring a SS, this is a no-brainer!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Sox looking for shortstop?:
    [QUOTE]Q.  Q. 2--Would you keep CC or trade him? If you move CC where and who would be the suspects?  D'backs--Upton and prospects?  Dodgers--Ethier and a prospect? Astros--Wandy Rodriguez and Carlos Lee. CC would be a nice draw in his hometown with new ownership.Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

With his contract Crawford would be very difficult to trade. I doubt that the D'backs or the Dodgers would make the trades that you suggested. Trading Upton or Ethier would bring more in return than just Crawford. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

man, i thought the Sox had finally shut down the SS merry-go-round...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Do people really do mental gymnastics like this instead of:

A. Raking leaves.
    B. Reading a book.
    C. Making dinner for their wife.
    D. Going for a walk.
    E. All of the above.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, Boston know that after the 2012 season, they will have SS situation as well maybe for 3B if Youkilis's option contract isnt going to be pick up.  That is a huge holes to fill up especially the 2012 free agents arent that strong for these two positions.

That is why Boston is trying to see if they can try to fix it now before they regret it in the future.   Lowrie is more likely will be gone from anytime today to after 2012 season.  Iggy is still not even close to be a major league level SS. That is why Boston is weighting on Iggy to see if there is a chance for him to be a full time SS for the 2013 season.  Or to play safe, trade him before they think he is going to be a busted prospect just like Lar Anderson and Bowen who both were close to be traded in the past many years before now they are already a busted prospects.

I do not want Reyes or Rollins who both are already often injure proned players especially the money that they are both demanding. Same goes to Hanley Rameriz who may be a talent hitter where he fit perfectly at the Fenway Park, but his defense skill is about the same as Scutaro!!!  He just had a left shoulder surgery this season.  Can he be able catch all these line drives or dive for the ball with his surgerial shoulder??

Well, how Boston can fix this problem, you may not.  Look at all other teams (such as Atlanta, Phillies, Marlins, etc.) that need a SS for this season, and most of them may not be able to fix it due Reyes/Rollins's asking prices are too high for them.  Also these other free agent SS are not that good.  Maybe they can sign Alex Gonzalez as an one year rental.  But that will not solve their long term problem.

That was why Boston need to stop giving away prospects via trades.  If they are able to trade Scutaro, Youkilis, Lar Anderson, Lowrie, Aviles, Bowen, etc, then I would be happy to see it happen.  Other guys are untouchable!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Another thing, these people need to stop thinking about getting guys from their divisional rival teams.  For example, Orioles isnt going to give away their best catcher, Waiter, SS Hardy who is probably bit better than Scutaro and Guthrie who is far better pitcher than both Weiland and Bowen.   That will easily weaken Orioles team at the same time the Orioles will make the Boston team much stronger!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Scutaro is old and grossly overvalued, so anyone talking about trading him to the O's does not have a clue. SS needs to be the best defender from the farm system to split time with Scutaro.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

"Scut", "Scutty"....Please stop that...Really...stop!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

iiggy should not be on the ML roster in 2012...and might not improve enough to be a ML'er at all.  This is not the NL people.  AL rosters can't float a .200 hitter, at least if they are any good.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Varitek was floated.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wasn't aware VTek played SS, but if softy says so...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"Sox looking for a shortstop?"

Aren't they always?