Sox offer Salty a 2-year deal.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Sox offer Salty a 2-year deal.

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

This is good info, but don't forget that Varitek wore the "C" on his jersey for a reason. I don't think Salty could earn that honor

The "C" is one of those intangibles ... and I agree that Jarrod Saltalamacchia has not earned that honor.

Here is a philosophical question: Is the "C" an attribute that should be compensated for financially or is the "C" itself a form of compensation? In other words, can an employer say we can give you only a modest raise this year, so we'll sweeten the deal by giving you a more prestigious title within the company?

[/QUOTE]

I don't see the two things as being connected.  IMO attaching a "C" to a player's shirt is only a recognition of what's going on in the clubhouse anyway.

I also think granting money for it is a dangerous precedent to be setting.  Can't you see Scott Boras demanding that a player be named team captain because it nets a raise of $1M?  Ugh!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

Re: Sox offer Salty a 2-year deal.

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

This is good info, but don't forget that Varitek wore the "C" on his jersey for a reason. I don't think Salty could earn that honor

The "C" is one of those intangibles ... and I agree that Jarrod Saltalamacchia has not earned that honor.

Here is a philosophical question: Is the "C" an attribute that should be compensated for financially or is the "C" itself a form of compensation? In other words, can an employer say we can give you only a modest raise this year, so we'll sweeten the deal by giving you a more prestigious title within the company?

[/QUOTE]

I don't see the two things as being connected.  IMO attaching a "C" to a player's shirt is only a recognition of what's going on in the clubhouse anyway.

I also think granting money for it is a dangerous precedent to be setting.  Can't you see Scott Boras demanding that a player be named team captain because it nets a raise of $1M?  Ugh!

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it works quite like that. I think it's more like, "we'll give you 4/$40mm, instead of the 4/$36mm your WAR suggests you're worth, and we're going to name you captain, just so everyone else knows they can't expect the same treatment." The "C" is a tacit recognition that Varitek got a higher salary because of his "intangibles." The designation didn't bring the raise; the intangibles brought the raise, and the "C" is an acknowledgment.