Sox' offer to EJax was 1/$5-6MM range

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sox' offer to EJax was 1/$5-6MM range

reported by MLBTR.  if this is true, I don't understand the intention.  EJax earned more than $8MM in 2011 and he had strong season.  Why would he take less money and compete in the toughest division in the league? I thought Sox prefered Jackson over Oswalt..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Sox' offer to EJax was 1/$5-6MM range

its pretty clear the sox strategy is to low ball everyone. they offered the same deal to oswalt and he said thanks but no thanks. I bet that if the sox get jackson they will end up paying him 7-8 mill for 1 year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

I think that they gave him an offer that they were comfortable with, and if he takes it they'll be happy, if not, they will see what they have, and go from there.

It's not like they are lowballing so it seems like they want him, but they really don't.  I think that would be stupid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Ain't going to get it done, Young Ben is playing poverty low market team nonsense with Boras. Scott Boras knows this team better and its finances. I bet we strike out on both Jackson and Oswalt. If this team goes into the season with a gamble at the 4th and 5th starter positions we are in trouble.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I just assume Ben is working under the hood.  As soon as both Oswalt and EJax say no, we will hear Sox acquire solid #3-4 starter via trade. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

You guys do know that they are banking on Bard being the 4th guy right? Once you understand that you realize why they went with Silva and Cook and the rest to find that 5th guy and a sixth when needed.

They really do want to stay under the luxury tax and it doesn't seem that crazy to me. I mean, Bard has phenom stuff and their 5th guy will be an experienced guy.

They've been underperforming for 4 years with more talent than anyone in the league thanks to Tito. With a manager, they've got way more talent than necessary to not only win the WC, but the division.

In the end, they can always go get somebody at the trade deadline if needed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Hehe. Of course we covet Jackson more than Oswalt, but we have no intention of signing either. Our goal is to appear busy while sitting on our hands, because we will be remaining under the luxury tax threshold of $179 million this year. It's the smart move, as long as the plan is to aggressively sign FA's next season. If Henry tries to go cheap this yr. AND next, the wrath of Red Sox Nation will be on full display, I assure you. Try to understand the long term needs of the team, and you'll feel better about what you're witnessing this offseason. We will be somewhat  competitive, but our chance for a ring is pretty small barring major injuries to 5 or 6 competing teams. It is truly a "bridge year".

In Response to Sox' offer to EJax was 1/$5-6MM range:
    [QUOTE]reported by MLBTR.  if this is true, I don't understand the intention.  EJax earned more than $8MM in 2011 and he had strong season.  Why would he take less money and compete in the toughest division in the league? I thought Sox prefered Jackson over Oswalt..
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Sox' offer to EJax was 1/$5-6MM range:
    [QUOTE]You guys do know that they are banking on Bard being the 4th guy right? Once you understand that you realize why they went with Silva and Cook and the rest to find that 5th guy and a sixth when needed. They really do want to stay under the luxury tax and it doesn't seem that crazy to me. I mean, Bard has phenom stuff and their 5th guy will be an experienced guy. They've been underperforming for 4 years with more talent than anyone in the league thanks to Tito. With a manager, they've got way more talent than necessary to not only win the WC, but the division. In the end, they can always go get somebody at the trade deadline if needed.
    Posted by Scott8340[/QUOTE]

The whole point of this thread is offering $5MM itself.  Let's pretend you get $100,000 at your work and you did good.  Some bigger company came to you offered $50,000 to work for them.  How would you feel?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Why does everyone just assume that Bard is going to be a great starter. In response to "Re: Sox' offer to EJax was 1/$5-6MM range": [QUOTE]You guys do know that they are banking on Bard being the 4th guy right? Once you understand that you realize why they went with Silva and Cook and the rest to find that 5th guy and a sixth when needed. They really do want to stay under the luxury tax and it doesn't seem that crazy to me. I mean, Bard has phenom stuff and their 5th guy will be an experienced guy. They've been underperforming for 4 years with more talent than anyone in the league thanks to Tito. With a manager, they've got way more talent than necessary to not only win the WC, but the division. In the end, they can always go get somebody at the trade deadline if needed. Posted by Scott8340[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox' offer to EJax was 1/$5-6MM range : The whole point of this thread is offering $5MM itself.  Let's pretend you get $100,000 at your work and you did good.  Some bigger company came to you offered $50,000 to work for them.  How would you feel?

In this situation, it's more like you made $100,000 at your job.  The company decided to replace you.  You have no job.  That lack of a job pays you $0 annually.  A big company comes along and offers you $50,000.  How would you feel?  My response, thrilled. I now have a job, and I'm making $50,000.  Until I know what other companies are offering, $50,000 is way more than I am making at $0.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya i think this is getting to a point where oswalt is really starting to look bad. especially oswalt given his age and potential injury risk going forward. it says something about the guy when the yankees are willing to pay a 37 yr old less accomplished starter 10 mill for 1 year but not oswalt. roy needs to realize that his options are limited at this point. sure both texas and st.louis are interested in him, but they have both realized that signing may not be realistic at this point as neither of them really need to a starter and are not willing to pay him what he wants. Thats why st.louis offered him a similar deal to what the sox did. The sox are the only team that can offer him a guaranteed spot in the rotation on a winning ball club. Roy needs to realize that a)he is not in his prime anymore b) is 34 approaching 35 yrs old  and c) is coming off an injury plagued season. While i is think 8 mill on a 1 yr deal is fair, the market is currently dictating otherwise. Maybe the sox and oswalt can meet in the middle, say 1 yr 7 mill or 1 yr 5-6 mill plus incentives for games started, etc. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

or maybe RS don't feel either these guys are the answer for their rotation. Go with what they have to start year, then if need is there go get someone at deadline, or maybe Dice back by June 1 and RS didn't have to overpay for a career .500 pither w/ 4.5 era 1.5 whip or 34 yr old w/ bad back? Think to many RS fans getting the Scott Boras news letter on Jackson. Wait til deadline teams will be looking to unload salary and can get better than overpaying for either of these 2 guys.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox' offer to EJax was 1/$5-6MM range : In this situation, it's more like you made $100,000 at your job.  The company decided to replace you.  You have no job.  That lack of a job pays you $0 annually.  A big company comes along and offers you $50,000.  How would you feel?  My response, thrilled. I now have a job, and I'm making $50,000.  Until I know what other companies are offering, $50,000 is way more than I am making at $0.
    Posted by Skadude22[/QUOTE]

Wow... What if other smaller companies offered you more money and guaranteed years? How would you feel about that big company which offered you half of what you used to earn?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Sox' offer to EJax was 1/$5-6MM range:
    [QUOTE]reported by MLBTR.  if this is true, I don't understand the intention.  EJax earned more than $8MM in 2011 and he had strong season.  Why would he take less money and compete in the toughest division in the league? I thought Sox prefered Jackson over Oswalt..

Because maybe the Red Sox are smart? There's a reason why he will be on his
    7th team before his 29th birthday. He's not that good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Hehe. Of course we covet Jackson more than Oswalt, but we have no intention of signing either. Our goal is to appear busy while sitting on our hands, because we will be remaining under the luxury tax threshold of $179 million this year. It's the smart move, as long as the plan is to aggressively sign FA's next season. If Henry tries to go cheap this yr. AND next, the wrath of Red Sox Nation will be on full display, I assure you. Try to understand the long term needs of the team, and you'll feel better about what you're witnessing this offseason. We will be somewhat  competitive, but our chance for a ring is pretty small barring major injuries to 5 or 6 competing teams. It is truly a "bridge year". In Response to Sox' offer to EJax was 1/$5-6MM range :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

How is he going cheap? The payroll is $178M Plus? The team blew it by offering Ortiz arbitration. That cost the team $6-8M per year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I am well aware of the team's current payroll and have never suggested it's small. I was clearly referring to our smaller than small market approach to THIS seasons additions to the team, and offered a rationale to support this decision to stay under the luxury tax threshold of $179 million. You see, there are millions of fans shaking their heads in dismay watching poor Cherington as he pretends to be interested in a number of free agents, when clearly he is not. I understand his need to placate season ticket holders, NESN subscribers, and T.V. and radio advertisers. But some very nice people out there who are simply looking at how our team stacks up on the field, and wondering why we haven't shored up our weak areas while many of our competitors have. It's because we can't, and we can't because we are choosing to be SMART. I, and others, are choosing to give the ownership group a pass for this season. But this is entirely predicated on the understanding that next season they will AGGRESIVELY ADD FREE AGENT TALENT AND GIVE THIS TEAM WHAT IT NEEDS TO WIN A RING. We are reasonable, and understand the situation the team finds itself in. Successive Theo blunders and injuries to key players have combined to limit our potential this season. Next yr. our luxury tax will reset to 17% from 30% (instead of rising to 40% if we exceed the luxury cap this yr.), making adding talent more palatable. The Yanks tax rate will rise to 50%, and many of our competitors will be looking to cut payroll next yr. It could be the perfect storm to add TOP TALENT at a discount, and could be well worth the wait IMO.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox' offer to EJax was 1/$5-6MM range : How is he going cheap? The payroll is $178M Plus? The team blew it by offering Ortiz arbitration. That cost the team $6-8M per year.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox' offer to EJax was 1/$5-6MM range : Wow... What if other smaller companies offered you more money and guaranteed years? How would you feel about that big company which offered you half of what you used to earn?

But what small market teams have offered him more money or guaranteed years?  He's not getting tons of $10 million dollar offers, or multi-year deals, because he was getting those offers, he would have signed already.  His value has gone down.  The only other teams that I've heard mentioned are the Rangers and the Cardinals.  Why would either team offer more than what Oswalt has on the table when they both have surpluses of starters?  Plus, neither of those are small market teams. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Make believe Jackson is a million dollar house, the value set earlier by other comparable sales (salaries). A buyer (skadude) comes along and offers $500,000 for the house, his clever (and insulting) logic being it's better than $0. In real estate, the buyer is known as a bottom fisher and of course, isn't taken seriously by the seller. Days later, the Jackson house sells for $950,000 to a serious buyer that wants the asset and knows he has to put up a reasonable offer to get it. The clever bottom fisher has wasted his time and everyone else's, not gotten what he wanted, damaged his credibility, and ticked off his wife who now realizes he just puts up lowball offers to placate her. Is there another million dollar house owner jumping at the chance to work with this guy?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

[QUOTE]I just assume Ben is working under the hood.  As soon as both Oswalt and EJax say no, we will hear Sox acquire solid #3-4 starter via trade. 

Trade what for what ?    Exactly what chips does the team offer ?    What few good prospects the Sox have in the farm system better be kept or the immediate future looks bleak.

This is clearly a transition year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m