Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

This list came out on Sept 20th.

It does not include Rubby de la Rosa or Jerry Sands (PTBNL'ers in the AGon trade).

Middlebrooks, Tazawa, and Lavarnway are no longer considered prospects.

Here's the link:

http://www.soxprospects.com/index.html

Bogaerts, Barnes & Bradley are the top 3- no surprise.

Allen Webster is #4 just ahead of Brentz (the 4th "killer Bee").

Cecchini is up to #6 and Swihart to #7. Owens is at 8, while Iggy has slipped to #9.

Britton, Workman, and Johnson are 10,11 & 13 as Marrero slips in at #12.

Wilson & Ranaudo are 14-15, and Keury de la Cruz moved up to #16 bypassing Jacobs and Vinicio at 17-18. Pimental is at 19 and Pat Light rounds out the top 20.

Buttrey is at 21, Carpenter at 22, and 1Bmen Gomez and my dark horse choice, Travis Shaw are 23-24. OF'ers Hazelbaker and Linares are 25-26.

My guess is that de la Rosa might slide into the #8-10 slot, and Sands into the #16-18 slot. I'd put TW Lin in the top 30 with these 28 players and Frank Montas.

An interesting list.

Add to these nice prospects, we also have some young players with several years of team control that are not considered prospects:

23:

Middlebrooks

24:

Lava, Doubront, Kalish

25:

Stewart, Beato

26:

Morales, Tazawa, Ciriaco

27:

Buch, Salty, Sweeney, Bard, Mortensen, Melancon, A Miller, Gomez, Valencia

28:

Ellsbury, Lester, Bailey

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

I can't wait for Bogaerts, I think he's going to be an offensive STUD. He likely will be an OFer though. Although, a transition to 1B may make sense as there doesn't seem to be a whole lot coming through the pipeline there, unless Gomez truly turns into an everyday player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't wait for Bogaerts, I think he's going to be an offensive STUD. He likely will be an OFer though. Although, a transition to 1B may make sense as there doesn't seem to be a whole lot coming through the pipeline there, unless Gomez truly turns into an everyday player.

[/QUOTE]

Boegarts may move from short, but he doesn't want to.  It sounds like he going to work his *ss off to stay there.  The knock is that he's going to be too big as he continues to fill out, but the kid is in phenomenal shape.  A-Rod and Ripken showed that big guys can play the position. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I don't really understand why our friends on soxprospects continue to rate Linares so low. All he's done is hit right around .300 with some serious pop and excellent outfield defense. Maybe it's his age, but at least he made it into the top 30 this year. My guess is that Linares really opens some eyes in ST next year. I'd like to see Gomez get a shot at 1B next year with Shaw moving up to Pawtucket at some point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

what is your prediction on how many of those prospects will make the major leagues as full time contributors to the red sox?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

what is your prediction on how many of those prospects will make the major leagues as full time contributors to the red sox?

If I had to bet on it I'd say Bradley Bogaerts and Barnes over the next couple of years. Also Webster and De La Rosa look like they might be good pitchers as well. Henry Owens is another arm that looks promising. The Sox also have a pretty promising looking catcher in Swihart. If we could deal Ells to the Reds or the Yanks say for their top two pitching prospects our pitching might be ok going forward.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't really understand why our friends on soxprospects continue to rate Linares so low. All he's done is hit right around .300 with some serious pop and excellent outfield defense. Maybe it's his age, but at least he made it into the top 30 this year. My guess is that Linares really opens some eyes in ST next year. I'd like to see Gomez get a shot at 1B next year with Shaw moving up to Pawtucket at some point.

I really like Linares, but have serious doubts about Gomez.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My guess is 2 of the 4 killer Bees become very good ML players. Maybe one will be a good back-up, and one will fizzle.

I like Cecchini, Travis Shaw and Linares.

I do not have high hopes for many of our pitchers, but we have a lot of pitching prospects in the top 25. Perhaps 1-3 will make it eventually.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We have seen little or nothing of these kids , so it is only a matter of looking at the minor league stats and scouting reports. Most teams have comparable prospects, so it all comes down to who continues to develop.  Because the Sox were so bad this year , we have a tendency to look longingly at the kids. Maybe overrate them a bit.  I think that Iglesias is in Boston to stay, so I don't know if he still counts as a prospect. I hope he is our shortstop for years to come.  Bogaerts looks like the best bet for stardom. I think he may wind up in leftfield , to continue our long tradition of great leftfielders.  He committed 21 errors at short this year. I am sure he can improve on that , but I don't think he will ever match Iglesias defensively.  Among the others, I think the best bets are Bradley , Brentz and Barnes.  They all figure to be in Boston within the next couple of years. How good they become is anyone's guess.   I think they have a good chance , but I would not rate them as high as Bogaerts.  We can only wait and hope.  I certainly hope that a few of the pitchers come up big , as that is obviously our biggest need.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

We have seen little or nothing of these kids , so it is only a matter of looking at the minor league stats and scouting reports. Most teams have comparable prospects, so it all comes down to who continues to develop.  Because the Sox were so bad this year , we have a tendency to look longingly at the kids. Maybe overrate them a bit.  I think that Iglesias is in Boston to stay, so I don't know if he still counts as a prospect. I hope he is our shortstop for years to come.  Bogaerts looks like the best bet for stardom. I think he may wind up in leftfield , to continue our long tradition of great leftfielders.  He committed 21 errors at short this year. I am sure he can improve on that , but I don't think he will ever match Iglesias defensively.  Among the others, I think the best bets are Bradley , Brentz and Barnes.  They all figure to be in Boston within the next couple of years. How good they become is anyone's guess.   I think they have a good chance , but I would not rate them as high as Bogaerts.  We can only wait and hope.  I certainly hope that a few of the pitchers come up big , as that is obviously our biggest need.

I'd rather see Bogaerts in RF than left because his arm is too good to be in left field, especially in fenway. We have to kind of hope that Webster or DeLaRosa or Barnes can step up and be dominant for our pitching staff to have any hope. Although Morales and Doubront both looked pretty good this year before they got tired.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I hope Bogaerts stays at SS. I'd leave him there until he absolutely proves he can't stay. He just turned 20 and is athletic. I think we should give him 2-3 more years there to see if he can cut it. If he does stay we would potentially have an all star capable SS which would be real nice for a change.  We need premium guys at premium positions. I'm still hopeful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

boom, he's 6-3. Do you think he could play 1B if Middlebrooks keeps playing well at 3rd?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://www.soxprospects.com/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I hope Bogaerts stays at SS. I'd leave him there until he absolutely proves he can't stay. He just turned 20 and is athletic. I think we should give him 2-3 more years there to see if he can cut it. If he does stay we would potentially have an all star capable SS which would be real nice for a change.  We need premium guys at premium positions. I'm still hopeful.

Are you saying 2 or 3 more years in the minors for Bogaerts? His bat needs to be in Boston ASAP.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]I didn't know that Ellsbury was a young player with several years of control. His control cost over 8 million, this year. It appears he's done for the season, which has been a long season and a lot of games for Ellsbury.

Brentz looked pitiful, in the game in Durham, NC. Bogaerts has plate potential, but is not any MLB SS anymore than Mike Dumpster Aviles is.

Bradley, Jr. played down here where all the stupid hillbillies are. He played in the Carolina league and for a national title team with South Carolina. Ellsbury wasn't good enough to finish that off. Bradley, Jr. is the real deal as a defensive CF'er. He also very good at not swining at balls out of the strike zone. His pop and power is not impressive, but he will reach a point where, for a CF'er, it will be adequate. Unlike Ellsbury, he has a decent arm for a true CF'er. He has a great attitude and is a team leader, unlike Ellsbury.[/QUOTE]

I hope you didn't just put the Moosh on JBJ :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I didn't know that Ellsbury was a young player with several years of control. His control cost over 8 million, this year. It appears he's done for the season, which has been a long season and a lot of games for Ellsbury.

I meant to say, "some of which have several years of team control". My bad.

(See how easy it is to admit a mistake? try it sometimes.)

Brentz looked pitiful, in the game in Durham, NC. Bogaerts has plate potential, but is not any MLB SS anymore than Mike Dumpster Aviles is.

Yes, and now that you have a one game sample size to make your definitive, lifetime, and unadjustable opinion, we will have to hear about it for years to come.

Bradley, Jr. played down here where all the stupid hillbillies are. He played in the Carolina league and for a national title team with South Carolina. Ellsbury wasn't good enough to finish that off. Bradley, Jr. is the real deal as a defensive CF'er. He also very good at not swining at balls out of the strike zone. His pop and power is not impressive, but he will reach a point where, for a CF'er, it will be adequate. Unlike Ellsbury, he has a decent arm for a true CF'er. He has a great attitude and is a team leader, unlike Ellsbury.

But, would he "look good in an Indian's hat"? 

Can he succeed without AGon batting 2-3 slots behind him?

Isn't the University of South Carolina a government sponsored propaganda machine like they all are, and if so, how did Bradley insulate himself from it all unlike Jake?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I didn't know that Ellsbury was a young player with several years of control. His control cost over 8 million, this year. It appears he's done for the season, which has been a long season and a lot of games for Ellsbury.

Bradley, Jr. played down here where all the stupid hillbillies are. He played in the Carolina league and for a national title team with South Carolina. Ellsbury wasn't good enough to finish that off. Bradley, Jr. is the real deal as a defensive CF'er. He also very good at not swining at balls out of the strike zone. His pop and power is not impressive, but he will reach a point where, for a CF'er, it will be adequate. Unlike Ellsbury, he has a decent arm for a true CF'er. He has a great attitude and is a team leader, unlike Ellsbury.

[/QUOTE]

Typical one bad game to prove your empty point again...Here, have a look...

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120911&content_id=38276124&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb

Heres a small clip from the article...

Brentz continued his torrid playoff hitting -- tripling, doubling and drawing a walk in his four plate appearances. The 23-year-old outfielder raised his average to .476 in the International League playoffs for the Red Sox.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This list came out on Sept 20th.

It does not include Rubby de la Rosa or Jerry Sands (PTBNL'ers in the AGon trade).

Middlebrooks, Tazawa, and Lavarnway are no longer considered prospects.

Here's the link:

http://www.soxprospects.com/index.html

Bogaerts, Barnes & Bradley are the top 3- no surprise.

Allen Webster is #4 just ahead of Brentz (the 4th "killer Bee").

Cecchini is up to #6 and Swihart to #7. Owens is at 8, while Iggy has slipped to #9.

Britton, Workman, and Johnson are 10,11 & 13 as Marrero slips in at #12.

Wilson & Ranaudo are 14-15, and Keury de la Cruz moved up to #16 bypassing Jacobs and Vinicio at 17-18. Pimental is at 19 and Pat Light rounds out the top 20.

Buttrey is at 21, Carpenter at 22, and 1Bmen Gomez and my dark horse choice, Travis Shaw are 23-24. OF'ers Hazelbaker and Linares are 25-26.

My guess is that de la Rosa might slide into the #8-10 slot, and Sands into the #16-18 slot. I'd put TW Lin in the top 30 with these 28 players and Frank Montas.

An interesting list.

Add to these nice prospects, we also have some young players with several years of team control that are not considered prospects:

23:

Middlebrooks

24:

Lava, Doubront, Kalish

25:

Stewart, Beato

26:

Morales, Tazawa, Ciriaco

27:

Buch, Salty, Sweeney, Bard, Mortensen, Melancon, A Miller, Gomez, Valencia

28:

Ellsbury, Lester, Bailey

[/QUOTE]

I think Rubby De La Rosa is going to be something special. Webster a D-Lowe type, and Barnes has TOP potential. Also, if Britton gets a little more consistant hes got incredible "stuff'. Almost unhittable when hes on. Kinda like Clay, but from the left side. Owens looks good, but still very young and at least 2-3 away. I always worry about a LHP thats 6'7(and just turned 20) repeating his delivery. Time will tell with Owens.

Bogaerts could stay at SS, see A-Rod, Ripken (both 6'4). Jeter had a ton of errors in his early years so I think as Bogaerts matures, we will see the errors minimize. His plus bat should make up for any defensive short comings.

As most know here, Im high on Brentz as a power bat in RF. He has 25+ HR potential with a good obp. He K's a few more times than most (like WMB), but I think he will improve on that. JBJ should be theSox leadoff hitter come 2014. Great baseball instincts. Great OBP for a leadoff guy and hes got some speed. Both are solid defenders too.

I think Cecchini is blocked at 3rd and could bring back another solid prospect or MLB player. He looks to me that hes going to be in MLB someday, but of course I'll wait to see how he does in AA before I start getting too excited about him.

Swihart is an interesting prospect. He has played the IF and C positions. Hes pretty small for a catcher, so Maybe he will fill out a bit the next couple years. Projects to be above average hitter. Like Cecchini, Swihart has all the tools to be a MLB player. Need to see how he does in Salem and Portland with advanced players.

Iggy should get better with the bat as he is only 22. He wont win any batting titles but I don think a .260 AVG witha .320 OBP is out of the question.

Well, thats what I see with the top 10...Some that I think should make it. Some who I think will do better than others. As we all know, they are all still prospects who havent played in MLB yet...With all that said, IMO, the future looks bright for the Sox. They got some good looking ballplayers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Don't sleep on Anthony Ranaudo as well, I know he had a sub par year but he never got a chance to get things going.  He still has a ton of potential, I'm hoping for a rebound year from him in mode of Britton.  Although I think Ranaudo has more upside and potential as a starter. 

If that happens! And Webster and Barnes continue to develop then all of a sudden we got a nice pack of young arms coming up.  I'm also very curious to see what some of the high school arms we drafted can do next year.  I'm hoping for a big year from Owens and I want to see what Callahan and Buttrey can do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Where do you guys think de la Rosa and Sands will fit into the top prospect list?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

de la rosa could be top 5...Sands top 20

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sands maybe top 15, but not top 10.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd put de la Rosa at #7 or 8 and Sands at #17 tops until he proves it's not a PCL thing.