Sox reportedly after Garza

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Sox reportedly after Garza

Olney says the Sox are in talks for Matt Garza.  Theo knows what the Sox have in the minors.  My question is who do you not mind giving up besides Bogaerts?  I am sure they will ask for Cecchini and I dont want him given up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Sox reportedly after Garza

In response to mthomas43's comment:

Olney says the Sox are in talks for Matt Garza.  Theo knows what the Sox have in the minors.  My question is who do you not mind giving up besides Bogaerts?  I am sure they will ask for Cecchini and I dont want him given up.

Olney said the Sox are one of 6 teams looking into Garza.  It's likely nothing more than due dilligence at this point. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Garza is a good pitcher--we haven't even seen Rubby throw a pitch for the Sox yet . My only concern trading Ells to the Cubs--perhaps Garza for Ells---both are making the same. Theo would flip him to the Yankees for prospects.

Then move ShaVic into the leadoff followed by Pedroia, Ortiz, Nap, JBJ, Salty, Iggy, Nava, Snyder.

I have talked with one person that has seen Cecchini and he was very, very impressed. BenC knows his personnel too well to let Cecchini get away. If you  don't want Ells traded how about Hassan and AA pitcher--Drake Britton--both guys are blocked and both are on the 40.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beezer. Show beezer's posts

always hurt, 500 pitcher, over rated, go get rrp & a big bat to hit behind papi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Garza is a good pitcher--we haven't even seen Rubby throw a pitch for the Sox yet . My only concern trading Ells to the Cubs--perhaps Garza for Ells---both are making the same. Theo would flip him to the Yankees for prospects.

Then move ShaVic into the leadoff followed by Pedroia, Ortiz, Nap, JBJ, Salty, Iggy, Nava, Snyder.

I have talked with one person that has seen Cecchini and he was very, very impressed. BenC knows his personnel too well to let Cecchini get away. If you  don't want Ells traded how about Hassan and AA pitcher--Drake Britton--both guys are blocked and both are on the 40.

Ellsbury for Garza?! The Sox are in 1st place and Ellsbury is a big part of it. He's definitely not going anywhere unless the Sox don't win another game in July.  He'd never clear waivers after that.  The Cubs will want prospects and or young, cost controlled talent for Garza. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think this would be enough, but if Garza agreed to an extension, I'd offer:

Choose 1: Brentz, Britton, Workman

Choose 3: Wilson, Almanzar, Coyle, de la Cruz, Hazelbaker, Hassan, Vinicio, de la Torre, Holt, or Jacobs

Theo may not even accept 2 from the first group and 2 from the second group.

Without an extension, I might offer 1 from the first group and 2 from the second group minus Almanzar and Wilson.

Like I said, I doubt that's enough to get Garza. Some other GM will offer more.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Why would the Cubs want a 2 month rental for a 2 month rental? Especially when they are no where near a playoff team...Makes absolutely no sense.

The Cubs will be asking for a top 5 prospects and then some. Most likely pitching.

Hassan and Britton will not come close to getting it done. Other teams have said that the price on Garza is sky high and the Cubs are willing to hold out to get what they want. Hes the best available pitcher at this years deadline and you will have to part with a very nice prospect or 2 to get him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Smh

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Per MLBTR:

"Olney said he'd be "shocked" if Garza was still on the Cubs by the All-Star break, but Stark hears that the Cubs may prefer to wait for a team to meet their price, even if it means waiting until the end of July. Stark and Olney agree that Garza will have the highest price tag of any player on the trade market."

He has been pitching pretty well this season. 115 ERA+, 1.116 WHIP, 8.2 K/9. Would make a good addition for the stretch run. He would take Websters slot and when Buch gets back we move Doobie to the pen killing 2 birds with 1 stone.  The only issue is the cost. Buster Olney isn't kidding when he says that Garza will have the highest price tag on the trade market. Besides Gallardo IMO.

MASTER OF PUPPETS I'M PULLING YOUR STRINGS!!
    TWISTING YOUR MIND AND SMASHING YOUR DREAMS!!
    BLINDED BY ME YOU CAN'T SEE A THING!!
    JUST CALL MY NAME 'CUZ I'LL HEAR YOU SCREAM!!
    MASTER!! MASTER!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

we move Doobie to the pen killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Doubront has a 2.87 ERA his last 10 starts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's doing a fantastic job.

I'm sure every GM in MLB is noticing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I'd be willing to give up Don Zimmer for Garza. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

"My question is who do you not mind giving up besides Bogaerts?"

Pardon me...I just blew coffee out my nose. 

OK, seriously? 

Hanrahan for Garza, and the Cubs pay the difference. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would be all for getting garza if the cost is reasonable, and if we can move ryan dempster. He was a bad signing to start with and now he is just taking up a roster spot. he is 5-8 with a 4.11 era and 1.38 whip, and is only averaging 5.89 innings pitched per start. none of his numbers are good, and he is not pitching deep into games despite being labled an innings eater. if we can deal him for a small return of sure someone will take him. ( we could also offer to eat some of his salary) Then we open up a spot for garza:

Lester

Buchholz

Garza

Lackey

Doubront

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

also one more stat on dempster, 17 home runs allowed in 17 starts. Not promising

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

This situation depends on Bucholz.
    Next dont look at the Sox, look at what the Cubs will want.
    If the Sox het Garza, you get him when we are facing all the AL East clubs down the stretch. Something he's familiar with, but Epstein will want a Pitcher a young one he's probably familiar with. Barnes, Renauldo, Workman. Now comes the decision for Ben, is it worth it.
    Right now just check him out, in case of injuries (especially to Bucholz), if none, stay away.
    You get into the Play-offs, you only need 4 Starters at most.
    Keep using the Farm at this point, the Smart GM's do.

One last thing Garza has to Pitch if he wants to get a good payday, especially in the Play-offs, so tough decision.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My guess is right now the RS front office would listen to offers on Doubront, as they would any other player. Just not so sure there's a package out there that would make them want to move him. 

Your the one who has been calling to trade Doubront...FOR A GREATER return. Well...let's here it, who would you trade him for now.? And please don't tell me him and Salty for Brett Anderson..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mthomas43's comment:

Unless the Sox are able to get Garza on the cheap, I'd pass. They must not trade away their top prospects for this guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i would be all for getting garza if the cost is reasonable, and if we can move ryan dempster. He was a bad signing to start with and now he is just taking up a roster spot. he is 5-8 with a 4.11 era and 1.38 whip, and is only averaging 5.89 innings pitched per start. none of his numbers are good, and he is not pitching deep into games despite being labled an innings eater. if we can deal him for a small return of sure someone will take him. ( we could also offer to eat some of his salary) Then we open up a spot for garza:

Lester

Buchholz

Garza

Lackey

Doubront

I was totallyagainst the Dempster signing from day 1, but I think you are being a bit harsh. His run support has been horrific. My guess is that if he was 8-5, nobody would notice the high WHIP.

I will say that if you are going to use certain stats to criticize Dempster, I find it odd that he is not the worst of our 5 starters at any of them:

ERA:

1.71 Buch

2.81 Lack

3.74 Doub

4.11 Demp

4.41 Lest

WHIP:

1.02 Buch

1.17 Lack

1.33 Lest

1.381 Demp

1.385 Doub

IP per start:

7.03 Buch (12 starts)

6.35 Lester (18 starts)

6.16 Lack (14)

5.92 Demp (17)

5.77 Doub (15)

All but Lester and Dempster have missed starts due to injury. Dempster is second on the team in IP (14 ahead of Lackey and Doubront and 16 ahead of Buch).

Our offense has scored 0-2 runs 13 times this year. 6 have been in Dempster starts. The next closest starter has 2. We have scored 6+ runs 28 times:

6+ runs/GS

Lest   7/18

Buch 5/12

Doub 5/15

Demp 4/17

Lack  2/14

I know he's getting paid to picth better than this, but he's done better than Lester, and with a little luck and support, he'd have a much better record.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

that he does. but he is still our #5 and when another pitcher is brought in your #5 becomes the odd man out. He would still start there is no doubt about that. but who else do you move (BP/minors/off-team) out of the rotation if a starter is picked up at the deadline?

Buch

Lester

Lackey

Demp

[trade guy]

with Doobie, Ace, Webster as our 6/7/8.

i just don't want to end up like 2011. They looked like they had decent starter depth in the minors AND even picked up another starter at the deadline and STILL ended up having severe pitching deficiencies down the stretch. While things certainly look amazing right now 1 or 2 injuries could really throw a monkey wrench into our plans and we might be looking back saying "wow, i wish BC would have brought in some cavalry when he had the chance".

don't get me wrong. I love Doobie and have been a supporter of his but i'm eyeing a ring here. If we have a chance to bring in a Garza or another solid veteran rental for a reasonable price then pull the trigger. Doob can keep up his good work in the BP which along with Taz and Uehara will have anchored it and we have a great option to turn to in case of injury.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My guess is right now the RS front office would listen to offers on Doubront, as they would any other player. Just not so sure there's a package out there that would make them want to move him. 

Your the one who has been calling to trade Doubront...FOR A GREATER return. Well...let's here it, who would you trade him for now.? And please don't tell me him and Salty for Brett Anderson..

GMs would offer a lot for Doubront right now, the problem is, it would most likely be in the form of top prospects- something Ben is not looking for right now.

It was you who accused me of wanting to trade Doubront for a "used bag of balls". You think just because a poster wants to trade someone for more value, he thinks that player stinks. I'll never convince you that this is a total falsehood, but it is.

Doubront's recent performance does not surprise me at all. I have always said he had "nasty stuff". My issue has always been with his attitude, motivation and conditioning. I do not want to trade Doubront now, unless we get better value in return. That has always been my position. Where we disagree is in the return value neing better or not.

You have taken my Salty and Doubront for Brett Anderson out of context. Last winter, I stated that I wanted to extend Salty, but if he was not going to be in our loingterm plans, then we should trade him while his value is high, instead of getting nothing if he walks after 2013. I said the same about all of our free agents to be, including Ellsbury. Brett Anderson has had problems this year, but he is no "used bag of balls".

I hope Doubront continues pitching this great. He has been a huge part of our winning, and took up a lot of the slack after Buch got hurt. His 1.222 WHIP in June is a fantastic sign, and hopefull is a sign of a continuing trend.

Who would I trade him for rignt now?

We mwon't trade him for prospects in the middle of a ring chase, unless we flipped the prospects for a better player, but I don't see that happeening. Since he has several years of team control, I could see us trading him to a team looking to compete next year and the enar future. I don't see many match ups, but perhaps Milwaukee would give us Gallardo and A Ramirez (plus cash) for Doubront, Snyder, Bard and Coyle. (Not sure I'd do this trade. Gallardo has WHIP issues as well, but we could really use the bat of Ramirez.)

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

that he does. but he is still our #5 and when another pitcher is brought in your #5 becomes the odd man out. He would still start there is no doubt about that. but who else do you move (BP/minors/off-team) out of the rotation if a starter is picked up at the deadline?

Buch

Lester

Lackey

Demp

[trade guy]

i just don't want to end up like 2011. They looked like they had decent starter depth in the minors AND even picked up another starter at the deadline and STILL ended up having severe pitching deficiencies down the stretch. While things certainly look amazing right now 1 or 2 injuries could really throw a monkey wrench into our plans and we might be looking back saying "wow, i wish BC would have brought in some cavalry when he had the chance".

don't get me wrong. I love Doobie and have been a supporter of his but i'm eyeing a ring here. If we have a chance to bring in a Garza or another solid veteran rental for a reasonable price then pull the trigger. Doob can keep up his good work in the BP which along with Taz and Uehara will have anchored it and we have a great option to turn to in case of injury.

[/QUOTE]

How about getting Garza and trading Lester for a closer and/or 3Bman (maybe in a larger package involving 3 teams)?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I don't mind interest in Garza as long as the pricetag does not go above rental.

Bogaerts, Bradley, Barnes, Webster, de la Rosa, Ranaudo, Owens and Cecchini should be off limits for rental players.  (A sttement I make with the disclaimer that the Sox know these players infinitely better than me, and may not share my views.)  

Guys like Brentz, Workman, Britton, Vazquez (who might be a "sell high" candidate"), Marrero, and Alamanzar are more the players I see as expendable.

Now, if a newly acquired player is under for control for a couple more years, certainly tapping into that first list seems more likely, and in many cases, justifiable.  (Just not Bogaerts, please.)

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Buch

Lester

Lackey

Demp

[trade guy]

[/QUOTE]

How about getting Garza and trading Lester for a closer and/or 3Bman (maybe in a larger package involving 3 teams)?

[/QUOTE]

i'd be wary of that much roster turnover but that's not to say i wouldn't approve the deal... depending on the names involved.

i just think 1 or 2 additions need to be made and then slide our existing roster around a bit to accomodate the additions and retain our depth.

this is my ideal deadline moves. Garza and Papelbon/K-Rod/Jose Veras.

our roatation would look like this:

Lester

Buch

Lackey

Demp

Garza

the BP would look like this:

Uehara

Taz

Doobie

Miller

Breslow

Morales

Paps/K-rod/Veras

with Aceves, Bailey, Wilson and DLT in the minors as depth.

seems like nasty pitching staff right there with a ton of depth for the stretch run.