Sox trying to decide between Hiroki Kuroda or Gio Gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Sox trying to decide between Hiroki Kuroda or Gio Gonzalez

This is from MLBTraderumors.com:

3. The Red Sox are "kicking around their preference" between trying to sign Hiroki Kuroda or trade for Gio Gonzalez, writes Yahoo's Tim Brown.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Sox trying to decide between Hiroki Kuroda or Gio Gonzalez

I'd be good with either, though Gio would be preferable for his youth.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In Response to Sox trying to decide between Hiroki Kuroda or Gio Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE]   This is from MLBTraderumors.com: The Red Sox are "kicking around their preference" between trying to sign Hiroki Kuroda or trade for Gio Gonzalez , writes Yahoo's Tim Brown .
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

I say don't get either. They don't need to dump money on Kuroda and they certainly don't need to give up the farm to get Gonzalez when we don't need him. If your going to gut the farm, you might as well go get Felix Hernandez. If I was Ben, I would go sign Joe Saunders to a 1yr deal and make either Bard or Aceves a starter. Also, I think that Ben is right when he says that we don't need to add any more offence. I say put Reddick in right for a full year and see how he does.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Spaceman, Merry Christmas man and Happy New Year if I don't catch you.

As for what the New Year brings for the Sox pitching staff... (realizing that Joe Saunders is still Joe Saunders...lots of innings, lots of runs and a 14-13 record?)

Can we trade our pitching staff for Oakland's?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Easy decision.

Kuroda costs money they'll have to give up the farm for Gonzalez.

Don't say Reddick and make me laugh.

I think they asked the Yankees for Nova, Montero and one of Banuelos or Betances.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Thank you West-O. A very merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you as well good sir.

Call me naive, blithe, or worse, but I am not giving up on our boys.  Beckett and Lester are coming back with much-needed chips on shoulders.  Buchholz is a health ?, but assuming he can take the hill, I put my chips in with him.  Dice comes back in, say, June, in apparently great shape and playing under a manager who knows just what to do with him, i see good things there.  Bard or Aceves?  Sure, why not.  Which leaves one little christmas wish ...

All I want for Christmas is a Gio ... for B prospects and a bag of peanuts (hahaha)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

IF Gio trade doesn't include Middlebrooks and Lavarnway, I'm all in. 
    And I don't think Kuroda will accept the offer from the Sox.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

between those two, gio gonzalez no doubt. this team needs to get younger not older. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Make no mistake, Kuroda can pitch. If he'd sign for a year or two at reasonable money, he'd be worth a shot. Gio would probably cost players ( say, like Lavarnway and Middlebrooks ) that Cherington won't and shoudn't part with right now. 
    Bard and Kuroda might work just fine at 4 and 5.
    Let the pen sort itself out.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from sox4life2280. Show sox4life2280's posts

Kuroda is a nobody, and Gonzalez is still not proven enough to drop the farm on him.  Sign Roy Oswalt and Joe Saunders to 1 year deals.  As far as outfield, Kalish is your man.  Use Reddick as a trade piece for some middle relief.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

isnt Saunders the lefty version of Wakefield?
    I dont think the Sox have the prospects to secure Gonzalez as other teams are on him.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Kuroda is a max one year and 1 to 2M plus incentives NL reject profile.

Gio is a 2nd tier player who is only worth dealing a couple of blocked prospects.

Red Sox need to seek 2nd tier starters via offers to FA, or make a blockbuster trade that takes care of Rh OF young star bat plus a 2nd tier pitcher.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Agree with few poster.. if they are cheap to sign or dont give up any top prospects, then go for it.

Saunder is over-rated.  He reminded of Bedard.  He doesnt have his fastball pitch anymoe!!  Stay away from him, and also he is a lefty!!!

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Gonzalez is a lefthander who gives up a lot of homeruns. Let the buyer beware if he comes to Fenway. Rather trade for King Felix and drain the farm.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from redlon. Show redlon's posts

Kuroda is looking for a lot more than 1-2M, more like 8-9M. Hard to see the Sox going that way.
    Gio is going to take alot so I don't see that happening, nor do I think he is worth it.
    I am not convinced that Bard moving to starter will work, but give it a try and try to sign Oswald for 1 yr deal.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I agree with those who say neither.  My preference is also not Joe Saunders.  I want Roy Oswalt.  He wants a one year deal, we should be able to push his other bidders off the board with big market tactics.  I don't think you want to tie yourself to Kuroda long term right now, I think this team would do better off taking the short term answer and retaining long-term flexibility.  Next year with Dice K gone, and another year off the Beckett and Lackey contracts, I would be more open to adding another long term contract to the rotation.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Sox trying to decide between Hiroki Kuroda or Gio Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE]MLB Trade Rumors: Trying to trade for Gonzalez is the Nationals' top priority, says MLB.com's Bill Ladson . According to Ladson, Brad Peacock and Derek Norris are two of the players the Athletics are looking at in a possible four-for-one deal. Nothing is imminent yet, as the Blue Jays and Red Sox are also "heavily in the mix."
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]
    Baseball America ranked 23-year-old pitcher Brad Peacock No. 4 and 22-year-old catcher Derek Norris No. 12 among the prospects in the Double A Eastern League in 2011:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/league-top-20-prospects/2011/2612441.html

As points of reference, BA ranked 23-year-old thirdbaseman Will Middlebrooks No. 8 and 24-year-old catcher Ryan Lavarnway No. 15 among Eastern League prospects.

The Baseball America prospect list for the Triple A International League had Peacock at No. 8, Lavarnway at No. 14 and Josh Reddick at No. 16.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/league-top-20-prospects/2011/2612452.html

• You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Kuroda is a nobody, and Gonzalez is still not proven enough to drop the farm on him.  Sign Roy Oswalt and Joe Saunders to 1 year deals.  As far as outfield, Kalish is your man.  Use Reddick as a trade piece for some middle relief.
    Posted by sox4life2280[/QUOTE]
    Have you ever seen Kuroda pitch?
    A nobody is an anonymous person who calls someone else a nobody. By definition.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Oswaly alos offers experience that perhaps can influence Beckett to not want to embarass himself again.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox trying to decide between Hiroki Kuroda or Gio Gonzalez : Baseball America ranked 23-year-old pitcher Brad Peacock No. 4 and 22-year-old catcher Derek Norris No. 12 among the prospects in the Double A Eastern League in 2011: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/league-top-20-prospects/2011/2612441.html As points of reference, BA ranked 23-year-old thirdbaseman Will Middlebrooks No. 8 and 24-year-old catcher Ryan Lavarnway No. 15 among Eastern League prospects. The Baseball America prospect list for the Triple A International League had Peacock at No. 8, Lavarnway at No. 14 and Josh Reddick at No. 16. http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/league-top-20-prospects/2011/2612452.html
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

??? What is the relevance here? Isn't this a Red Sox forum? Isn't there a Mariners Forum that you might go to. You seem to be a sparrow in a flock of Robins here. A lot of effort wasted.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm so thriloled I can hardly contain myself. The best pitcher is Kuroda when he's healthy. Roy would be a nice 5th starter but he's looking for front of the rotation money and the Sox are skimping on the budget...As for Gio I won't hold my breath...as I said earlier in this post don't hold your breath for Gio and today came the reason why: The Nationals have acquired Gio for 4 top prospects!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox trying to decide between Hiroki Kuroda or Gio Gonzalez : ??? What is the relevance here? Isn't this a Red Sox forum? Isn't there a Mariners Forum that you might go to. You seem to be a sparrow in a flock of Robins here. A lot of effort wasted.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

The relevance seems to be, that if a team wants to get a guy, like Gio Gonzalez in this case via trade, you need to outbid the teams who are currently bidding on him.  Since these two players are supposedly being dangled as part of a 4 for 1 deal, a person on this site who might like to propose the Red Sox go after Gio might want to try to propose the prospects which could get the attention of the A's.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]Gonzalez is a lefthander who gives up a lot of homeruns. Let the buyer beware if he comes to Fenway. Rather trade for King Felix and drain the farm.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Good point about Gonzalez. He is not worth giving up top prospects. I agree with you on King Felix. I just don't think that we have enough to offer Seattle to get him.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

If it has to be one or the other, Kuroda for me.  Spend the money and keep the prospects.  But I think it wil be neither.  And I suspect the interest in Kuroda is more about trying to lower Oakland's demands for Gio.