Starting Pitchers- Free Agents for 2012-Who should Theo sign?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Starting Pitchers- Free Agents for 2012-Who should Theo sign?

How would CC Sabathia or C.J. Wilson look in a Sox uniform?
    2012 starting rotation:Beckett/Lester/Buchholz/Sabathia or Wilson/Lackey
    Would John Henry offer Wilson $100MM?

Mark Buehrle CWS
    Chris Carpenter STL *
    Bruce Chen KC
    Aaron Cook COL *
    Kyle Davies KC
    Ryan Dempster CHC *
    Justin Duchscherer OAK
    Zach Duke ARI *
    Jeff Francis KC
    Freddy Garcia NYY
    Jon Garland LAD *
    Aaron Harang SD
    Rich Harden OAK
    Livan Hernandez WAS
    Edwin Jackson CWS
    Kenshin Kawakami ATL
    Scott Kazmir LAA
    Hiroki Kuroda LAD
    Rodrigo Lopez CHC
    Paul Maholm PIT
    John Maine COL
    Jason Marquis WAS
    Kevin Millwood NYY
    Scott Olsen PIT *
    Roy Oswalt PHI *
    Brad Penny DET
    Oliver Perez NYM
    Joel Pineiro LAA
    CC Sabathia NYY (may opt out)
    Carlos Silva NYY
    Javier Vazquez FLA
    Adam Wainwright STL *
    Tim Wakefield BOS
    Chien-Ming Wang WAS
    Brandon Webb ARI
    C.J. Wilson TEX
    Chris Young NYM

* - player whose current contract includes 2012 option

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Re: Starting Pitchers- Free Agents for 2012-Who should Theo sign?

Sign no one big.  Sorry Wake has earned a 1 year deal but not 5th starter spot.  Give one of the kids a shot at it.  Sign some low budget guys with high upside to compete or pitch at triple a.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Starting Pitchers- Free Agents for 2012-Who should Theo sign?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Starting Pitchers- Free Agents for 2012-Who should Theo sign? : Theo will sign Wakefield for another 2 years.
    Posted by greatestNYY[/QUOTE]

CJ Wilson would be great but Texas won't let him wander very far.  I think our present staff if we can re-sign Bedard for a reasonable amount and he likes Boston would be fine.  I don't see Theo bringing in another "high priced guy" like Buehrle to the mix when we have quite a few youngsters who could develop.

Lester
    Beckett
    Buchholz
    Bedard
    Lackey
    Wake or someone else?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I'm all for letting this season play out before worrying about next season.  We've got all winter, starting in November :-) to worry about 2012.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

It's alway fun to speculate about good signings for next year but a shot in the dark if any of these suggestions ever come true.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

I prefer to enjoy the journey of this season instead of worrying about next year.  Bring up this question in November. By the way do you work for the Globe or NESN?
    You seem determined to generate traffic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

good point, 2012 is 2012...who cares

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

In Response to Re: Starting Pitchers- Free Agents for 2012-Who should Theo sign?:
    [QUOTE]I prefer to enjoy the journey of this season instead of worrying about next year.  Bring up this question in November. By the way do you work for the Globe or NESN? You seem determined to generate traffic.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

You're now telling Sox fans when to post topics?  Its a relevant topic...all GM's and front offices are thinking about it, why can't fans?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

It is apparent, especially at the moment, that the Sox pressing needs are not in starting pitching.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

how has wakefield earned another 1 year deal? if anything he has punched his ticket to retirement. his era continues to be around 5 and he makes life more difficult for our catchers and is extremely easy to steal off of. Please feel free to remind why wakefield should be brought back? As for what pitchers theo should sign, honestly i dont think he will sign any. i dont see cj wilson leaving texas unless he really does not want to stay with them because i am sure they will do everything to extend him. sabathia will likely not leave new york. it could be an a-rod scenario all over again. he will probably opt out and sign a bigger deal with the yankees. but there is the slim chance that what he has been saying to the media is a smokescreen for his true intentions. no one really knows if he likes being a yankee and playing in ny except cc. he could tell the media that he does for the rest of the season just so they will cause any distractions to the team. only time will tell but even if he does opt out i would be surprised if the sox made a serious attempt to sign him. they had the chance you to when he was a free agent a few years ago but didnt even seriously consider going after him. so why would they go after him now? i think if theo does anything in terms of pitchers it will be via trade. who might he target? well i think his first target will be felix hernandez. he is the one guy theo would gut the farm for. now that the farm has been restocked with talent, theo can really make a push for him. who might seattle ask for? (if they even are willing to trade him) well it would start with will middlebrooks. by passing on anthony rendon in the draft, they have no 3rd baseman of the future. middlebrooks is pretty close to being mlb ready and would be nice fit given the youth currently in the mariners infield. next they would ask for a catcher and that guy is ryan lavarnyway. another whole i am sure they would aim to fill would be a corner outfielder. they could have either reddick or kalish. the next piece would be a pitcher. anthony ranaudo is the obvious choice but they could ask for kyle weiland instead as he is more mlb ready. so the trade would look like this:

mariners get: 

reddick/kalish
    lavarnway
    middlebrooks
    weiland/ranuado

red sox get:

felix hernandez

another guy the sox might consider going after is yu darvish but i question if they would want to go down that road again given what happened with dice k. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Buehrle and Carpenter look semi-intriguing. Other than that meh. Bedard is a free agent at the end of the year too I think. My opinion is bring back back Bedard, give Wake another 1 year deal and we should be OK pitching wise. King Felix would be nice, but that ain't happening.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Unsure we will be signing anyone.

Beckett
    Lester
    Clay
    Lackey

all four will be here for a fact in 2012. Dice-K still is an option as the #5. We may even sign Bedard... 

Bottom Line: Don't expext any major free-agent signing for another starter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

a nod to carnie for his bold trade proposal. I like it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Starting Pitchers- Free Agents for 2012-Who should Theo sign? : You're now telling Sox fans when to post topics?  Its a relevant topic...all GM's and front offices are thinking about it, why can't fans?
    Posted by mikeyintheboogiedown[/QUOTE]

Wrong!!! Theo could care less about what pitcher he could sign next year.Eat whats on your plate don't worry about tomorrows meal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Not quite sure what you mean... but the Sox have a very good staff if Lackluster would just pitch better. Lackey could be the differece maker, he has already been paid to be just that. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]how has wakefield earned another 1 year deal? if anything he has punched his ticket to retirement. his era continues to be around 5 and he makes life more difficult for our catchers and is extremely easy to steal off of. Please feel free to remind why wakefield should be brought back? As for what pitchers theo should sign, honestly i dont think he will sign any. i dont see cj wilson leaving texas unless he really does not want to stay with them because i am sure they will do everything to extend him. sabathia will likely not leave new york. it could be an a-rod scenario all over again. he will probably opt out and sign a bigger deal with the yankees. but there is the slim chance that what he has been saying to the media is a smokescreen for his true intentions. no one really knows if he likes being a yankee and playing in ny except cc. he could tell the media that he does for the rest of the season just so they will cause any distractions to the team. only time will tell but even if he does opt out i would be surprised if the sox made a serious attempt to sign him. they had the chance you to when he was a free agent a few years ago but didnt even seriously consider going after him. so why would they go after him now? i think if theo does anything in terms of pitchers it will be via trade. who might he target? well i think his first target will be felix hernandez. he is the one guy theo would gut the farm for. now that the farm has been restocked with talent, theo can really make a push for him. who might seattle ask for? (if they even are willing to trade him) well it would start with will middlebrooks. by passing on anthony rendon in the draft, they have no 3rd baseman of the future. middlebrooks is pretty close to being mlb ready and would be nice fit given the youth currently in the mariners infield. next they would ask for a catcher and that guy is ryan lavarnyway. another whole i am sure they would aim to fill would be a corner outfielder. they could have either reddick or kalish. the next piece would be a pitcher. anthony ranaudo is the obvious choice but they could ask for kyle weiland instead as he is more mlb ready. so the trade would look like this: mariners get:  reddick/kalish lavarnway middlebrooks weiland/ranuado red sox get: felix hernandez another guy the sox might consider going after is yu darvish but i question if they would want to go down that road again given what happened with dice k. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

OMFG.  Felix Hernandez will not be traded.  He is signed through 2014, so unless the Mariners decide there's no way he'll re-sign with them at that point; they're not going to trade him.  Please everyone, wake up from the insane dream your having about him, and forget about the possibility until mid-2013 at the absolute earliest.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Hey I agree with you, I had almost posted "If I have to listen to aquire Felix all winter long I am going to go bananas."

Thanks for stopping in.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We have a ton of money wrapped up in our starters. I don't see anything major this winter. I think Theo will look to sign a bargain 5th starter type or two. Wake will be back as the 6th starter again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

based on theo's history of signing FA'S, you want him to sign some more?
    what? are you completely nuts?

theo einstein should never be allowed to sign a FA; EVER. EVER. EVER.

please do the right thing theo; please leave boston. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

wilson and then  Carpenter & bedard are most interesting IMO

fir.eballer58  you left off perhaps the most interesting  FA off the list

does anyone  think the sox or yanks will go down this road again ?

from the NY Post.....

One player the Yankees have scouted heavily is Yu Darvish. And there is strong belief around the game that the top starter in Japan will, indeed, be posted this offseason and come to the States.

“He is coming, period,” one personnel man said.

The Yankees have had sour experience with high-profile Japanese pitchers Hideki Irabu and Kei Igawa, whose five-year contract finally expires this year. And the last can’t-miss Japanese pitcher to come to the majors, Daisuke Matsuzaka, was hardly a bonanza for the Red Sox.

So you wonder if there will be greater financial caution with Darvish this winter or will the hunger for pitching motivate teams to bid. I will say this, I have not sensed that the Igawa experience will take the Yankees, for example, out of the Japanese marketplace.

Darvish is certainly attractive as a pitcher. He is 6-foot-5, 25 years old, pitches at 93-94 mph with the ability to touch higher than that and is known for having an inventive and competitive spirit on the mound. He is 15-3 with a 1.59 ERA and 182 strikeouts in 158 innings for the Nippon Ham Fighters.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Sign no one big.  Sorry Wake has earned a 1 year deal but not 5th starter spot.  Give one of the kids a shot at it.  Sign some low budget guys with high upside to compete or pitch at triple a.
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

It is possible that Wakefield retires after the season ends.  He probably just wanted to reach the 200 win mark and will be happy with that.  He is one of the oldest players in MLB and I imagine is thinking of retiring. 
    The Red Sox will need someone to replace Dice-K until he returns.  Bedard may
    be with the Red Sox next season if they can reach a mutually agreeable contract.  So far he has proven to be a great addition to the Red Sox. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Boston isnt going to sign another long term contract.  Already locked Lester, Lackey, Beckett and soon Bucholtz for a long term contract.  Safer way is to sign Bedard for two years plus option contract.  Then hopefully in two years from now, there will be another talent pitcher in the minor league to be call up.  Right now the top two best minor league prospects are both a pitcher.  But they are only 21 and 23 years old.

I strongly believe that Boston will look for a talent right handed hitter to fill the open spot such as SS, RF, maybe DH if Papi walk, etc.!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Boston isnt going to sign another long term contract.  Already locked Lester, Lackey, Beckett and soon Bucholtz for a long term contract.  Safer way is to sign Bedard for two years plus option contract.  Then hopefully in two years from now, there will be another talent pitcher in the minor league to be call up.  Right now the top two best minor league prospects are both a pitcher.  But they are only 21 and 23 years old. I strongly believe that Boston will look for a talent right handed hitter to fill the open spot such as SS, RF, maybe DH if Papi walk, etc.!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Clay already signed long term Uconn.
    12:$3.5M, 13:$5.5M, 14:$7.7M, 15:$12M, 16:$13M club option ($0.245M buyout), 17:$13.5M club option ($0.5M buyout)
    If Papi walks, Lavarnway could be the DH/C/1b. Our top 2 prospects are position players (Middlebrooks 3b/Kalish OF), he 2 top pitchers are Ranaudo(21) ranked 3rd and newly signed Matt Barnes(22) from Uconn holds the 7 spot..
    The Sox should be set up come 2013-14 with their pitching prospects being just about or ready for MLB..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, I am looking at many different websites showing Boston's top 10 best prospects which that is why you and I have different informations.  Still it does not matter which website gave me the better information. As for now,  I do see at least five of them who could be in the top ten within two years which they are Ranaudo, Britton, Weiland, Doubront, and Barnes.  Michael Bowden is more likely to become a bullpen pitcher where that is what he have been doing for PawSox.  Just wish he was traded to San Diego instead trading Casey Kelley.  But did San Diego ever list Bowden as their perference player?    Dont forget Tazawa who just recently had a surgery, and now starting to pitch again. 

I was not sure if Bucholtz have recently signed a long term contract.  I just cant remember if he did it or not.