Strong Red Sox farm just got stronger.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Strong Red Sox farm just got stronger.

According to baseball america, 4 Red Sox prospects were named mid season top 50.  Our #1 prospect Xander Bogaerts at #4 overall, JBJ at #21, Ranaudo at #37 and on fire Cecchini at #41.  Our prospects look even more promising with Trey Ball and Jon Denney signing with the team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Strong Red Sox farm just got stronger.

Huh. Didnt know Bogaerts was that high. Thats impressive.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When you figure Iggy just lost his prospect status, and guys like Webster, de la Rosa, Owens, Barnes, Ball, Swihart and others are pretty darn good prospects as well, you got to like how our farm is taking shape.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

With the prevailing Wisdom that Boegarts may have to move from SS and Cechinni also being a 3B prospect, it would be a shame to sell low, but the Sox may have to consider adding Middlebrooks to any potential deal. Personaly I like him and think he should be up here playing and working out his issues at the plate, but the fact that they havent recalled him leads me to think the Sox have bigger doubts than I do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

With the prevailing Wisdom that Boegarts may have to move from SS and Cechinni also being a 3B prospect, it would be a shame to sell low, but the Sox may have to consider adding Middlebrooks to any potential deal. Personaly I like him and think he should be up here playing and working out his issues at the plate, but the fact that they havent recalled him leads me to think the Sox have bigger doubts than I do.

Possibly but Cecchini might be more likely to move off third base than Xander would be when he makes the transition.  Now if Xander still might end up in LF but I think he's a 3Bman.  If Middlebrooks can hit, and makes the adjustments then I'd move Middlebrooks to first and cecchini to LF.  Otherwise I could see Middlebrooks becoming trade bait and Cecchini playing first (especially if his power starts to develop)

Of course Iggy could still be trade bait.  I think he's increased his odds of staying with the team and I hope he does but if the team feels Xander Bogaerts is best suited for SS he will play SS for the Boston Red Sox.  There are many different avenues I can see the Red Sox going down here it will be very interesting to see how things shape up over the next 18 months. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The chance that Middlebrooks, Bogaerts and Cecchini all turn out to be FT MLB players by the end of 2014 is small to slim. These things will have a way of working themselves out, but if I had to guess where these guys will be over the next few years (assuming no FA signings in these areas), I'd go with this:

2014           2015              2016             

1B BOS  Carp/Nava   Middy             Middy/Cecci     

3B BOS  Boggy           Boggy            Boggy/Cecci    

1B AAA   Middy         Shaw/Alm         Almanzar                

3B AAA   Ceccini     Cecci (1B too)     T Shaw

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The chance that Middlebrooks, Bogaerts and Cecchini all turn out to be FT MLB players by the end of 2014 is small to slim. These things will have a way of working themselves out, but if I had to guess where these guys will be over the next few years (assuming no FA signings in these areas), I'd go with this:

Sox4ever

That's a pretty fair assessment.  Although I'm not that high on Shaw, I don't think he plays well at the MLB level and Almanzar may be trade bait.  I wouldn't rule out Cecchini at 1st either if his power plays out.  I hate assuming he will be a power hitter just because he projects to have power but often it's the last tool to develop and he has the projectable body and with his hit tool it's kinda hard to envision him not hitting home runs at the MLB level.  I can see Cecchini having offensive seasons VERY similiar to Youk. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If they all show that they can hit, a position will be found for them, be it third, first or the outfield.We are set for years at shortstop.  Pitching wise, I think Ranaudo has moved to the front of the line. I am not entirely sold on Webster and DeLaRosa. Barnes has not impressed in AA. Britton and Workman are possibilities. Anyway, I think Ben should not only avoid trading the top guys, but see if any of them can help the Sox in the second half. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I actually think Bogaerts could be #1 on this list.  He should at least be #3 as Taveras has been injury riddled and done very little this year.  Sano has a similar tool set than Bogaerts with more power, but Bogearts is probably the better hitter who is putting together a more impressive season at higher levels.

Buxton is the only guy I think you can arguably put ahead of Bogaerts, but I think he is only really truly a better prospect if you consider him to stick in Center and Bogaerts will definitley move off short.  And even then Buxton is several levels below Xander Bogaerts and with Bogaerts proximity to the Majors (which makes him less likely to flame out) I'd say you can make the argument that he should be #1. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

If they all show that they can hit, a position will be found for them, be it third, first or the outfield.We are set for years at shortstop.  Pitching wise, I think Ranaudo has moved to the front of the line. I am not entirely sold on Webster and DeLaRosa. Barnes has not impressed in AA. Britton and Workman are possibilities. Anyway, I think Ben should not only avoid trading the top guys, but see if any of them can help the Sox in the second half. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Don't give up on Barnes.  I agree that Ranaudo has moved ahead of Barnes but Barnes is still very young and developing.  He still strikes out a TON and it's not unussual for a prospect to have a bad season....he could come back screaming all the way up to Triple A next year.  If nothing else develped for Barnes (and there is no reason to believe that with his experience and age that it wont) he has closer potential in the bullpen.  If NOTHING else develops then his fastball can be that good as he can command and spot it.  

All I keep hearing about is how Britton and Workman will eventually move to the bullpen and their stuff will play up better there.  Part of me wants to give them a chance to stick there as it will add more value...BUT if they would enevitably end up in the pen anyways then I think they should consider moving one of those guys there now.  I could see a guy like Britton accelerating in his development with a move to the pen and may even be able to help the team out this year....we shall see. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

It's hard to rate our pitching prospects, but we can certainly say that we are better in this area than we have been for a long long time.

Here's how soxprospects.com rates our pitching prospects (with scale rating):

4 Webster 4-7

5 de la Rosa 4-7

6 Ranaudo 3-7

7 T Ball 2-7

8 Owens 3-7

9 Barnes 4-7

12 Workman 3-6

13 Britton  3-5

16 Stankiewicz 2-6

20 B Johnson 2-5

28 T Buttrey 2-6

29 S Mercedes 2-6

30 J Callahan 2-6

38 F Montas  2-6

39 P Light 2-6

41 C Kukuk

43 S Wright

50 K Stroup

51 S Gomez

52 C Littrell

53 M Alcantara

54 D McGrath

56 J Drehoff

57 G Speier

59 K Heras

60 J Almonte

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Webster was #49 on BA's preseason list.  He didn't fall off their list he graduated because he's in the majors when you factor that in with the other guys who would fall into their top 100 then the Sox might have the best system in all of baseball.  Although I think you can make a really strong argument that Houston and Minnesota have better farm systems so maybe Boston is a strong #3 but definitely top 5. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Webster was #49 on BA's preseason list.  He didn't fall off their list he graduated because he's in the majors when you factor that in with the other guys who would fall into their top 100 then the Sox might have the best system in all of baseball.  Although I think you can make a really strong argument that Houston and Minnesota have better farm systems so maybe Boston is a strong #3 but definitely top 5.

Likewise, the Seattle farm system (which was ranked ahead of Boston's preseason) lost prospects when Mike Zunino (#17) and Nick Franklin (#79) were promoted to the parent club (and shortstop Brad Miller would have been a Top 50 candidate but for his June 28 promotion after posting a .334/.409/.516/.925 line in 999 minor league plate appearances).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]Webster was #49 on BA's preseason list.  He didn't fall off their list he graduated because he's in the majors when you factor that in with the other guys who would fall into their top 100 then the Sox might have the best system in all of baseball.  Although I think you can make a really strong argument that Houston and Minnesota have better farm systems so maybe Boston is a strong #3 but definitely top 5.

Likewise, the Seattle farm system (which was ranked ahead of Boston's preseason) lost prospects when Mike Zunino (#17) and Nick Franklin (#79) were promoted to the parent club (and shortstop Brad Miller would have been a Top 50 candidate but for his June 28 promotion after posting a .334/.409/.516/.925 line in 999 minor league plate appearances).

[/QUOTE]

Now hopefully a couple of them pan out and your GM doesnt trade them away. I like Seattles farm, but not their GM.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's a list of young Sox players with some ML experience already- some are not considered official prospects, but some still are (years of team control remianing after 2013, including arb or option years).

29: Pedey (2), Bailey (1), Lester (1), Ellsbury (0)

28: Salty (0), Buchholz (3), Miller (1), Mortensen (3), Wright (5+), Diaz (5+)

27: Tazawa (3), Morales (1), de la Torre (5+)

26: Snyder (?), Wilson (5+), Beato (4)

25: Doubront (4), Lavarnway (5+), Holt (5+)

24: Middlebrooks (5+), de la Rosa (4)

23: Iglesias (?), Bradley (5+), Webster (5+)

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Here's a list of young Sox players with some ML experience already- some are not considered official prospects, but some still are (years of team control remianing after 2013, including arb or option years).

Sox4ever

Jose Iglesias will be a free agent in 2019.  according to baseball-reference. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/i/iglesjo01.shtml#contracts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Jose Iglesias will be a free agent in 2019.  according to baseball-reference. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/i/iglesjo01.shtml#contracts

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I wasn't sure how the years of control worked on International FA signings.

5 years is nice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

As others have noted above, it's not just the top players that define the system, but also some real system-wide depth, particularly in terms of pitching. Of course not all of these guys will turn out to be even decent MLB players, but percentage-wise you're probably looking at at least a couple of quality starting pitchers and a handful of starting every day players. Any better than that would be outstanding (though this farm system certainly has the potential to turn out more than that). And whether they do it here or become chips to land players in trades in the future, they are assets that can be used to make the team better. 

If you look around the system you have to like the potential of having so many players who are age 24 and under who either have some major league experience and/or have perfromed at a high level in the minor league system. It's likely that most if not all of these guys will be at double A or higher by next year. While it's true that some of these players likely won't be ready for a few years, a number of them are either already major league ready or knocking on the door to being so. 

p: webster, de la rossa, ranaudo, owens, ball, barnes, workman, britton, stankiewicz

c: swihart; vasquez,  

ss iglesias; bogaerts; marrero

3b/1b middlebrooks; cecchini; almanzar

of: bradley, brentz, kalish

there are also some guys who are slightly older (26, 27) who are either enjoying success at the major league level or still have some potential value in the future like doubront, carp, diaz, lavarnway, wilson, morales, beato, tazawa, butler, holt, snyder

and, guys like ellsbury (though he'll likley be gone), bucholtz, pedroia, lester, miller, mortensen, salty all still under 30

while he is not thought of as being a high level prospect, personally think jeremy hazelbaker could potentially be a decent major leaguer also

again, as other have noted, don't know that it's profitable to get too worked up about where guys play. if you're biggest problem is figuring out how to work top young players into your line-up  than you're doing okay. if iggy, middlebrooks, bradley, bogaerts, cecchini etc, all happen to be ready and playing well at the major league level at some point it'll all get sorted out. More often guys get hurt, go through slumps, fail to live up to potential etc. and timing is such a big part of all of this. I think you let the guys move through the system, get their at bats or starts or innings in or whatever and eventually they kind of demand promotion. ultimately it's about producing. 

understand there are often worries about letting guys go stale in the minors (and retarding their progress) or ruining their confidence by bringing them up too soon, and those are legit concerns, but mostly things become evident. e.g. it was fine that jbj made the club, and was okay when he slumped and went back to AAA; it was okay that the sox acquired drew as iglesias hadn't hit consistently at any level, and it was also okay that he came back and filled in at 3b when needed and whether he moves back to 3b or stays at short, etc. this season, he will be the ss by next year and drew will go somewhere else. 

the only kink in the future outlook is the ellsbury situation. bradley is potentially a nice player, but as a leadoff hitter and catalyst ellsbury is very hard to replace in the line-up. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Sox4ever

That's a pretty fair assessment.  Although I'm not that high on Shaw, I don't think he plays well at the MLB level and Almanzar may be trade bait.  I wouldn't rule out Cecchini at 1st either if his power plays out.  I hate assuming he will be a power hitter just because he projects to have power but often it's the last tool to develop and he has the projectable body and with his hit tool it's kinda hard to envision him not hitting home runs at the MLB level.  I can see Cecchini having offensive seasons VERY similiar to Youk. 

Hugh, you follow the Minors alot more than most....I havent seen Cecchini, but what I read is he has a Plus Arm and is a decent 3rd Baseman(havng come uip at SS and 2b)..is that the case? If so, doesnt that suit him more for staying at #B or maybe Left Field

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

According to baseball america, 4 Red Sox prospects were named mid season top 50.  Our #1 prospect Xander Bogaerts at #4 overall, JBJ at #21, Ranaudo at #37 and on fire Cecchini at #41.  Our prospects look even more promising with Trey Ball and Jon Denney signing with the team.

Where are the bullpen arms that are needed ASAP? That's my concern.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Cechinni has like 18 errors already. Other than that he is a mega stud. The guy looks like he could hit mlb pitching already. If anyone moves off 3rd, it's probably him IMO. Maybe LF or maybe 1st.

They really need to call up Rubby now or shortly after the all star break. They would call up Bradley now if not for the break in place of Victorino. Tonight's OF alignment is ridiculous.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The farm system didn't get stronger. No new prospects were acquired. The RANKING of our farm system got higher.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

Sox4ever

Hugh, you follow the Minors alot more than most....I havent seen Cecchini, but what I read is he has a Plus Arm and is a decent 3rd Baseman(havng come uip at SS and 2b)..is that the case? If so, doesnt that suit him more for staying at #B or maybe Left Field

I've heard his defense is very fringey, so he will likely play well enough to play third but if both Middlebrooks and Bogaerts are better defenders there I'm just assuming he moves off with first base being a likely destination.  However the arm strength is good enough for him to play a corner outfield spot and while he doesn't have burning speed I think he's fast enough and has the smarts to play a corner.  This is a kid who is supposedly a really die hard baseball fan junkie, loves the game, plays it full speed and just has a natural ability to play it.  Think Dustin Pedrioa in a larger frame. 

To be honest with you with everything I've heard about his personality a really wouldn't be surprised if he turned into an average to better defender at third. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

The farm system didn't get stronger. No new prospects were acquired. The RANKING of our farm system got higher.

[/QUOTE]

I was going to mention that technicality, but we did get stronger with the draft pick signings recently, and international signings continuing on.

Also, if more of our prospects are getting better this year than worse or the same, then one could say our farm system is strengthening.

Ranaudo has rebounded nicely this season. Cecchini is proving himself at a higher level. Others, like Brentz and Barnes may have fell a little.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I understand what you're saying but I don't think there's is anything wrong with saying the system got stronger based on how the talent has developed.  This year a lot more has gone right than wrong, and a lot of young prospects are making ample strides in their development with others regaining top prospect status....so yeah I think you can say the system got stronger.