Surprisingly, it's past the quarter mark of the season and...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Surprisingly, it's past the quarter mark of the season and...

Minnesota and the White Sox have the worst records in the AL.

All other teams are within 4 games of the wild card.

14/16 NL teams are within 5 games of the NL wildcard team (Marlins).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Surprisingly, it's past the quarter mark of the season and...

I think the WhiteSox are gonna own that division in the 2nd half.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and I don't think MN will end up with the worst AL record either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Gotta give Cleveland credit. Thay have been a huge surprise.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Ill be shocked if:  Cleveland ends up on top, and Minny ends up on the bottom.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It is going to be an action packed year. Whoever wins it is going to have to earn it this year.

The AL East may end up with all teams above .500!

Not likely but possible.

I think the AL West is still Texas but who knows for sure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Mind you, I'll be happy for Cleveland fans if the Indians do win their division.  They deserve something after the LeBron fiasco.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfantiltheend. Show patsfantiltheend's posts

I agree, its been surprising how well Tampa Bay has been doing given the fact that they had so much turnover during the offseason.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Not surprisingly, team weaknesses have not yet been exposed. The tide will go out and leave a bunch of pretenders that are sitting on top at the wrong time of the year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

I heard Verducci weigh in on this phenomenon on the D & C show yesterday and his take was interesting:  He attributes it to the emergence of many great young pitchers, the simultaneous lack of the development of very many young offensive oriented position players, and the disappearance of Peds from MLB.  Teams have been forced into developing home grown pitching precisely BECAUSE of the Ped's issue throughout baseball in recent seasons and in so doing have neutralized the offensive explosion and it is doubly reinforced because the development of young pitching has been so successful and Ped's are simultaneously leaving the game.  The end result is teams like the sox and Yanks who used to beat up on the 4 and 5 starters and the middle relievers of teams like KC and Seattle, are not doing so any longer giving teams like KC and Seattle much better chances to win games.  The game that Seattle beat the sox a few weeks ago when Fister shut them down is a great example of this.  Eck was candidly expressing how little Fister had going on and a couple of seasons ago the sox would have pummeled him.  Not so much now!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Also surprised that TBR is re-tooled and rising so high.  Can that be sustained?  I think it can, with some luck and decent pitching.

And if Damon can find a few dingers in his bats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good topic, good points.

Cleveland and Tampa Bay have the best AL records and the 2d and 3d best ERAs in the AL. 

But.  Oakland has far and away the best ERA in the AL and have stayed right around .500 in W-L record.  Below average (measured by team ERA) pitching staffs like Toronto, Detroit, and especially Boston (11th best ERA in the AL) have winning records. 

On the other hand, the Yankees have scored the most runs and have pitched decently (ERA under 4), but are behind the Rays in the AL East. 

Pitching could be the cause, but, whatever the cause is, it's been an interesting first quarter of the season.

One more thing.  Since 2000 or so MLB has shown unbelievable balance in teams winning the WS.  Only the Sox have won twice, and every one of the six divisions has produced at least one WS winner. 

And this.  If pitching is important, the Sox could be in trouble.  Forget the current ERA, I'm worried about having just three good starters and not having a world class bullpen.  Let's hope Aceves and Wakefield can deliver. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Surprisingly, it's past the quarter mark of the season and...:
    [QUOTE]Mind you, I'll be happy for Cleveland fans if the Indians do win their division.  They deserve something after the LeBron fiasco.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Well the Cavs have 2 of the top 5 picks..thats gotta take the sting away a bit too..Good to see the tribe doing so well...
    Ill be shocked if Minnie ends up in the cellar with CWS right there with them..Both will be 3rd place+ by years end IMO

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I really think we could see the WC winner having the lowest wins in years. One reason why I always thought TB would be in it until the very  end this year.

The AL East is going to beat each other up and bring our records down.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

In Response to Re: Surprisingly, it's past the quarter mark of the season and...:
    [QUOTE]I think the WhiteSox are gonna own that division in the 2nd half.

Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

And you also thought that baltimore was gonna be in second place in the ALE and contend for the wildcard.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Surprisingly, it's past the quarter mark of the season and... : And you also thought that baltimore was gonna be in second place in the ALE and contend for the wildcard.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1[/QUOTE]

And you thought the Yankees would take 2 in the last series...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i think when we discussed the ALE during ST, there was a consensus that despite all the attention the Sox were receiving, we shouldn't be quick to count the Rays out...yeah, they took some pretty big hits, but at the same time it turns out they were really grinding behind the scenes to keep themselves competitive, gotta give them credit.. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS DAD WOULD SAY.....  "SON, THATS WHY THEY PLAY THE GAMES" !!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Surprisingly, it's past the quarter mark of the season and... : On Thursday I saw Doug Fister's ninth start of the year when the tall righthander limited the Angels to one run over eight innings, lowering his season ERA to 2.93. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_05_19_anamlb_seamlb_1&mode=box Fister got a no decision, but the Mariners won 2-1 in the bottom of the ninth when nine-time Gold Glove winner Torii Hunter lost a fly ball in the sun with two outs and a runner on third. http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14971203&c_id=sea Perhaps the Mariners had the break coming after Ichiro Suzuki had lost a ball in the sun in the bottom of the ninth at Fenway Park in a 3-2 loss to the Red Sox on May 1.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Fister seems to be coming into his own this season so far.  In his first 2 seasons he had an awful won loss record and a pedestrian 4+ era(bad considering he pitches half of his starts in the cavernous Safeco Field).  His 1.28 WHIP would be considered above average Pitching in Fenway but is probably only average or below pitching in Safeco.  Still he is pitching very well so far this season despite the losing record.  For what it's worth here are his career numbers:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/fistedo01.shtml

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Where are all the posters who said baseball winning is all about money spent.

This is like the NFL here today: parity run amok.