Talk About a Balanced Attack!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Talk About a Balanced Attack!

The Cardinals have 6 players with 300+ PAs and an OPS over .830!

Holliday  .879

Carpenter .873

M Adams  .839

Y Molina   .836

A Craig     .830

C Beltran .830

(The next 2 are at .721: Freese & John Jay)

The Sox have 10 players with 200+ PAs and an OPS over .771:

.959 Ortiz

.885 Carp

.842 Napoli

.831 D Nava

.804 Salty

.801 Vict

.787 Pedey

.781 Ellsbury

.777 S Drew

.771 Gomes

Middlebrooks was at .696, but was over .800 in the second half of 2013.

(Note: we had 11 if you count Iggy at .785) 

2nd Half OPS (150+ PAs unless noted): 

.935 Napoli

.897 Ortiz

.889 Nava

.864 Vict

.850 Lava (just 40 PAs)

.837 Drew

.819 Salty

.818 Gomes

.805 Middy

.765 Ells

.744 Carp (94 PAs)

.721 Pedey

.695 JBJ (41)

.693 Ross (41)

.684 Bogey (50)

8 guys over .800 not counting Lava.

Balance, balance, balance

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Talk About a Balanced Attack!

The Cardinals are almost a mirror image of the Red Sox, very similar teams. There is no one from the NL Id rather beat more, and no one I would loathe losing to more. Hate the Cardinals more than NYY. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

The Cardinals are almost a mirror image of the Red Sox, very similar teams. There is no one from the NL Id rather beat more, and no one I would loathe losing to more. Hate the Cardinals more than NYY. 

I wanted to face Pittsburgh. Oh well.

Let's not look beyond the A's or Tigers, but the Dodgers or Cards will both be great match-ups.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I mentioned that a couple of months ago, in slightly different context.  We have 11 guys with 200 PAs and an OPS+ > 100.  When I looked, no one in the AL had more than 8.  Couple that with two lefties that can hit lefties, and 3 guys that are switchhitters, and some fielding flexibility, and we can bring a pretty good lineup against almost anyone.

Against a lefty, our only weaknesses are Drew and Salty, and you wouldn't get killed by XBO and Ross.  Against righties, we can still put 7 lefties in the lineup.

That might be the best thing Ben did.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I mentioned that a couple of months ago, in slightly different context.  We have 11 guys with 200 PAs and an OPS+ > 100.  When I looked, no one in the AL had more than 8.  Couple that with two lefties that can hit lefties, and 3 guys that are switchhitters, and some fielding flexibility, and we can bring a pretty good lineup against almost anyone.

Against a lefty, our only weaknesses are Drew and Salty, and you wouldn't get killed by XBO and Ross.  Against righties, we can still put 7 lefties in the lineup.

Well, we have a couple more sore spots vs lefties than just Salty & Drew:

2013 vs LHPs:

.733 Ortiz

.647 Nava (Gomes plays vs LH'd starters)

.641 Ellsbury

.628 Salty (Can play Ross at .804)

.585 Drew (Can play Bogey at 1.089)

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to ArsenalTown's comment:

Do we have a response to this from resident TROLL named Softlaw.  Then you should take him seriously, that a standard procedure. Respond to the troll and that keeps the forum active, Carry on.

We know, thats why we keep you around! Wink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

I wanted to face Pittsburgh. Oh well.

Let's not look beyond the A's or Tigers, but the Dodgers or Cards will both be great match-ups.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I was pulling for Pittsburgh simply because, as much as Id like to beat Stl., losing to them would be horrendous. But alas......Anyway, if we make it there, we now have a choice of facing the team I loathe the most in all of MLB, or facing off against CC and his hooligans. Im sure he'll go into TB mode if he shows up here. No easy way out, but it would be sweet to beat either one of them.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Holliday  .879

Carpenter .873

M Adams  .839

Y Molina   .836

A Craig     .830

C Beltran .830

.959 Ortiz

.885 Carp

.842 Napoli

.831 D Nava

.804 Salty

.801 Vict

.787 Pedey

.781 Ellsbury

.777 S Drew

.771 Gomes

.935 Napoli

.897 Ortiz

.889 Nava

.864 Vict

.850 Lava (just 40 PAs)

.837 Drew

.819 Salty

.818 Gomes

.805 Middy

.765 Ells

.744 Carp (94 PAs)

.721 Pedey

.695 JBJ (41)

.693 Ross (41)

.684 Bogey (50)

You can almost say the same thing about the starting pitchers 1 through 4.  I'm comfortable with any of them starting a big game.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I think this was behind Maddon's plan on Tuesday. Start a righty and the Sox put in their lefties, then bring in a bunch of lefties early

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Cards will be good for long time, they are loaded in the Minors. Only postion they are thin at is SS. Mozeliak does Free Agency the right way, he'll sign someone and develop a kid or kids when that contract expires. That is the way Free Agency should work, should never hold up your kids by signing an expensive Vet. long term.
    Drew has to be on their list this Off-Season. At least thats my bet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Cards and Red Sox are very similar. Red Sox got away from the master plan [develope from within and plug the occasional hole thru FA] when they went on their big spending spree of 09/10 w/ Lackey / CC / Gonzalez. We could have had Rizzo/Masterson and other young players still under team control and saved millions, if not for that need to win at all costs mentality, probably some Yankee inferiority complex thing? But under Ben C seems RS are getting back to the master plan, something that John Henry has preached since aquiring this franchise and has worked. But after some success in 04 / 07 RS felt it needed to continue to feed the monster so to speak, many want to blame Theo, but I firmly believe it had more to do w/ TV ratings and Larry L. It seems the more Larry seems to be involved w/ player aquisition the more dysfunctional things seem to become, maybe just me, but it just seems that way.

With changes to draft and Int'l FA, and a need for teams to get under the payroll tax limit it will be more important than ever to draft well and make smart personel decisions. Angels are perfect example of team that got away from player developement that made them so good for so long and started trying to but a WS Championship w/ Pujols / CJ Wilson / Josh Hamilton signings. Teams like RS / Cards / Giants / Rays / Pirates that have drafted well are teams that will now be in it for long haul if they con'd to this and not get away from this plan.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Cards will be good for long time, they are loaded in the Minors. Only postion they are thin at is SS. Mozeliak does Free Agency the right way, he'll sign someone and develop a kid or kids when that contract expires. That is the way Free Agency should work, should never hold up your kids by signing an expensive Vet. long term.

We are pretty "loaded" in the minors as well, and our only weak point on the farm is probably OF and 1B.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The only problem with balanced is you don't get the one or two superstars, right? I mean you get all B+'s but you lack the one or 2 A+'s.......even though you may have to carry a few C's it's often times the A+'s get you through a jam (ie 2001 DBacks - 2 Stars in RJ and Schil)........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

The only problem with balanced is you don't get the one or two superstars, right? I mean you get all B+'s but you lack the one or 2 A+'s.......even though you may have to carry a few C's it's often times the A+'s get you through a jam (ie 2001 DBacks - 2 Stars in RJ and Schil)........

I'd say the 4th best OPS (Papi) is an A.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'd say the 4th best OPS (Papi) is an A.

[/QUOTE]

sure but I think you get my point

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Holliday  .879

Carpenter .873

M Adams  .839

Y Molina   .836

A Craig     .830

C Beltran .830

.959 Ortiz

.885 Carp

.842 Napoli

.831 D Nava

.804 Salty

.801 Vict

.787 Pedey

.781 Ellsbury

.777 S Drew

.771 Gomes

.935 Napoli

.897 Ortiz

.889 Nava

.864 Vict

.850 Lava (just 40 PAs)

.837 Drew

.819 Salty

.818 Gomes

.805 Middy

.765 Ells

.744 Carp (94 PAs)

.721 Pedey

.695 JBJ (41)

.693 Ross (41)

.684 Bogey (50)

Middlebrooks was almost like a new player when he returned, came back a lot more selective...became a really good two-way player...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

on the Cards' side...i like how good a hitter Yadi has become...

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

our only weak point on the farm is probably OF and 1B.

That's 4 positions. For such a strong farm on pitching and SS, what on earth are the Red Sox spending over 40 million dollars this year and 40 million dollars next year on 2nd rate starting pitchers. "Trade" on that means nothing more than a write down or having to throw in a top performing proven MLB talent to get rid of these bums.

"2nd. rate starting pitchers"

Yet somehow the Sox had the most wins in the AL and advanced to the ALCS.

You seem confused even after all the good posters here have taken the time to school you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

We are pretty "loaded" in the minors as well, and our only weak point on the farm is probably OF and 1B.

Most of their top 100 is on the Post Season roster, Miller, Martinez, Rosenthal. and Wacha was their lowest. And they are still loaded. Sox only have Bogaerts, and Workman. Taveras is one of the Top Minor Leaguers Outfielder, so they let Beltran walk.

Sox are good in the Farm and getting better, the Cards are elite.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Cards and Red Sox are very similar. Red Sox got away from the master plan [develope from within and plug the occasional hole thru FA] when they went on their big spending spree of 09/10 w/ Lackey / CC / Gonzalez. We could have had Rizzo/Masterson and other young players still under team control and saved millions, if not for that need to win at all costs mentality, probably some Yankee inferiority complex thing? But under Ben C seems RS are getting back to the master plan, something that John Henry has preached since aquiring this franchise and has worked. But after some success in 04 / 07 RS felt it needed to continue to feed the monster so to speak, many want to blame Theo, but I firmly believe it had more to do w/ TV ratings and Larry L. It seems the more Larry seems to be involved w/ player aquisition the more dysfunctional things seem to become, maybe just me, but it just seems that way.

With changes to draft and Int'l FA, and a need for teams to get under the payroll tax limit it will be more important than ever to draft well and make smart personel decisions. Angels are perfect example of team that got away from player developement that made them so good for so long and started trying to but a WS Championship w/ Pujols / CJ Wilson / Josh Hamilton signings. Teams like RS / Cards / Giants / Rays / Pirates that have drafted well are teams that will now be in it for long haul if they con'd to this and not get away from this plan.

hey Gary, in line with your post about the Sox and Cards ' likeness..i thought this tweet was interesting and telling...... Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 1h

Every one of the Cardinals' 17 players on their NLDS roster making $490-$525K was drafted and developed by St. Louis. That is staggering.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Unlike Red Sox management, Cardinals management actually knows what they are doing. I doubt they offer S. Drew more than one or 2 years and 15 million, as they surely can see what a 2nd rate constituion and overall SS talent he is in light of the altnerative of plaooning with younger talent and a one year super cheap veteran FA. 

Soft, you say that like he's killing you guys on the field...