Tampa gone

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Tampa gone

In Response to Re: Tampa gone:
    [QUOTE]Moon you're posts are awesome and spot on!  Nice to have a steady head on the board to balance the rest of us who love/hate the Sox at various moments through  the season. Concur with you on Tampa...it is a great thing for the Sox and Yanks that Tampa does not spend money like they do - otherwise one or the other would be left out in the cold year after year.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I never "hate" the Sox, but I get very frustrated at times as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Moore was used over Shields because that's how the rotation set up.
    Rays didn't have the luxury NY/Tigers had.
    The rookie was pressed into service and responded with 7 shutout frames.
    Total: 10 IP 3 hits  1 ER

Price was a rookie in the 2008 playoffs...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

No, I didn't project a collapse

Rays were not contenders and their grossly inferior team to 2010 was bounced rapidly. Rangers are not as good as last year. Had the Red Sox not wasted a roster spot on Wastefield in early April and done ceremonial 6 man monte tour and not using Miller late season on the road instead of Wastefield, the Red Sox would have been title contenders. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]No, I didn't project a collapse Rays were not contenders and there grossly inferior team to 2010 was bounced rapidly. Rangers are not as good as last year. Had the Red Sox not wasted a roster spot on Wastefield in early April and done ceremonial 6 man monte tour and not using Miller late season on the road instead of Wastefield, the Red Sox would have been title contenders. 
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

Then who was that non-contender who just played TX tough.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think Tampa had a great year.  They were 9 game behind the Sox the end of August.  If the Sox had played in September the ball they were playing during the summer the Rays would have been 9 games behind, probably more.

The Sox handed Tampa the wild card pure and simple.  The Rays didn't do much with their gift wrapped trip to the post season.

One reason the Sox were up by 9 was because the Rays "gift wrapped" them earlier in the season.

The Rays started out 1-9 this year! (vs Bal, LAA and CWS).
    From May 14th to June 3rd, the Rays went 6-13.

All teams go through rough streaks. To me, it's not fair to discount the Sox collapse, but not to discount the Ray's tough earlier streaks that put them 9 behind. 
    Turn the 7-22 record in those two bad streaks to 16-13 and the Rays are tied with the Sox going into Sept.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tampa gone : All I meant was Maddon pitching Moore in game one over Shields etc. pretty much showed his plan, which worked well originally but was a lot to ask of a rookie.  I like Maddon as a manager but good teams like Texas will eventually make the necessary adjustments.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Maddon started Moore game 1, because Shields had pitched 8 2/3 innings Monday (117 pitches), Hellickson pitched Tuesday, and Price pitched Wednesday to end the regular season. Had Tb clinched earlier, Maddon would have lined it up for Shields to pitch game 1.

As for using Moore in relief, the Rays pen has been in turmoil since Farsworth's injury and hasn't been that great all year. They really don't have a lights out guy in the pen, and Maddon needed someone to go 2-3 innings. I think he made the right choice. Moore pitched great in 3 innings and just one bad pitch. (only 37 pitches with 24 for strikes)

TB outscored Texas 21-16 in the series. Sounds like  Sox stat.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Then who was that non-contender who just played TX tough

Anemic offense that was not a contender and did not play TX tough.

Rays will not be contenders in 2012, either. If the Red Sox send a gift to Cubs to get rid of Epstein, the Red Sox will get rid of Wastefield and Varitek, retool the pitching coaches and approach and young player development, and make the necessary moves to construct a contender for 2012 and beyond.

Crawbust will have to be fixed by OF trade and aqcuisition.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Then who was that non-contender who just played TX tough Anemic offense that was not a contender and did not play TX tough. Rays will not be contenders in 2012, either. If the Red Sox send a gift to Cubs to get rid of Epstein, the Red Sox will get rid of Wastefield and Varitek, retool the pitching coaches and approach and young player development, and make the necessary moves to construct a contender for 2012 and beyond. Crawbust will have to be fixed by OF trade and aqcuisition.

Saving this for softy's 2012 denial.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Then who was that non-contender who just played TX tough Anemic offense that was not a contender and did not play TX tough. 

9, 6, 3, and 3 runs is not "anemic".

Ouscoring Tx 21-16 and losing 2 games by 1 run is not "tough"?

Man, you have a twisted view on baseball jargon.

Rays will not be contenders in 2012, either. 

They lose Damon, Kotchman and Peralta. They gain a full season of Jennings and Moore. They should have about $12M ro spend on FAs. Their 8 starters who are all locked up for 3+ years will still be under 30.

If the Red Sox send a gift to Cubs to get rid of Epstein, the Red Sox will get rid of Wastefield and Varitek, retool the pitching coaches and approach and young player development, and make the necessary moves to construct a contender for 2012 and beyond. Crawbust will have to be fixed by OF trade and aqcuisition.

Those are some big "ifs". You sound confident they will suddenly "construct a contender" with such limited resources thanks to CC and Lackey's ball and chains.

Show us how you fill these slots with about $28M to spend:
    Closer (Paps)
    DH (Papi)
    SS (Scutty)
    RF (Drew)
    C (VTek-Salty?) 
    SP (Wake, Miller, Weiland)
    SP (Lackey?)
    RP (Wheeler-Jenks?)
    RP (Albers-Atchison)

How are we going to get better?
    SS- Iglesias is fine with me.
    C- Lavarnway and Ramon Hernandez is fine, but that eats into what money we have left for the rest.
    RF- Reddick? I dont think so.
    Trade Jake for Kemp? Even if your La La Land dream came true, the money would prohibit upgrading elsewhere.
    Assuming we go with youth at C and SS, getting Kemp and Hernandez means you now have about $20-21M to fill this:
    Closer
    DH
    RF
    SP
    RP
    RP

Paps and Papi would eat all that up, meaning we are stuck with Reddick, Albers, Atchison, Lackey and a kid starting pitcher to be named later.

You pretend to be the expert on financial matters... show us what you got, and stop being so vague.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from njalb. Show njalb's posts

To all the whiners   12-6 Rays kicked the Sox butts this year

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Sox have been waiting for tee time partners from the AL East-----
    "The Tigggggggeeerrrssss win the Tigggggerrrssss win."

Let the Hot Stove heat up.