Tanaka watch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

Tanaka watch

From ML. com -Five teams have reportedly submitted formal offers for Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, who is expected to make his decision by next Friday.

Nikkan Sports reported the five teams include the Cubs, White Sox, Yankees, Dodgers and D-backs. All of the bids were believed to be more than $100 million and over six years.

--

The Ynkees then are apparently not planning on staying under the 'luxury cap" as they are close to it as it is, and then ARod is back on the payroll in 2015. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Tanaka watch

In response to javaukti1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From ML. com -Five teams have reportedly submitted formal offers for Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, who is expected to make his decision by next Friday.

Nikkan Sports reported the five teams include the Cubs, White Sox, Yankees, Dodgers and D-backs. All of the bids were believed to be more than $100 million and over six years.

--

The Ynkees then are apparently not planning on staying under the 'luxury cap" as they are close to it as it is, and then ARod is back on the payroll in 2015. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that they'll be few others submitting offers as well. Just becasue a team submitted a an offer means little.

As for the Yankees, Arod's suspension and his loss of wages changed the math for the 2014 roster...So it's not surprising that they're going after Tanaka...the question remains that if they sign him will they also go after another of the top arm available too? My quess is yes....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

--

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it means anything.  First, we don't know if it is true.  Second, the NYY could safely submit a bid of $101M/8 and assume it would be rejected.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

--

[/QUOTE] Beans and JB both make good points...despite what it could mean down the road irt payroll, the lux tax and such, i certainly hope it's the Yanks who land him, no doubt there will be additional teams bidding, it will be an interesting week leading into his decision, my gut still says he lands out West

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

--

[/QUOTE] Beans and JB both make good points...despite what it could mean down the road irt payroll, the lux tax and such, i certainly hope it's the Yanks who land him, no doubt there will be additional teams bidding, it will be an interesting week leading into his decision, my gut still says he lands out West

[/QUOTE]

I think the Yankees are the team with the greatest need and as such will make him an offer he can't refuse...I also think the Angels could be a dark horse who like the Yankees are built to win now, but need pitching....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wasn't there a deadline for the $20M "posting fee"?

If so, and these 5 teams are it, that means nobody else can baragin with Tanaka.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

If so, and these 5 teams are it, that means nobody else can baragin with Tanaka.

The dealine I believe is the 24th of January...so teams still have a few days

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

--

[/QUOTE]

It just feels too quiet for the NYY to be involved.  They have no incentive to announce themselves, but it just doesn't feel like it does with other FAs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I am happy if the Red Sox do not make an offer to this guy if the going rate is over 17M per year as he is too much of a gamble to get stuck with that kind of amount per year in the latter part of his contract.

Of course, he may be great and even the best player to come from the Japanese leagues, but just too risky especially when the Sox have a half dozen almost major league ready for less than a million each over just about the same time period as Tanaka's six year contract.

There have been a couple of Japanese starters who have not done badly in MLB, but they all (even Darvish) came at a much lower monetary cost.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe teams make offers up to January 24th and the winning bid, once announced, THEN pays out the $20M posting fee to go with the contract.

So it is likely this thing should run right up to the 24th.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

--

[/QUOTE]

It just feels too quiet for the NYY to be involved.  They have no incentive to announce themselves, but it just doesn't feel like it does with other FAs.

[/QUOTE] i hear ya JB, in the past most of Cashman's best moves have been while in stealth mode, not sure if that's the case this time, part of me can't help but think that this one needs to played out loud...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe teams make offers up to January 24th and the winning bid, once announced, THEN pays out the $20M posting fee to go with the contract.

So it is likely this thing should run right up to the 24th.

[/QUOTE]

I believe the 24th is the deadline for everything, not just posting. He goes back to the team that owns him in Japan w Youk as a team mate if he doesn't accept an offer. I believe the Dodger's said at one point that they wouldn't be outbid, but that was before they signed Kershaw to 210/7.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

he will be in pinstripes.  need some people sitting behind homeplate at least once every five days.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

he will be in pinstripes.  need some people sitting behind homeplate at least once every five days.....

[/QUOTE]

Don't count the cubs out just yet, they are reportedly willing to spend BIG money on him. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

They did make a big deal about the supposed Dodger's offer. To me that is just a signal to other teams (Yankees?) to up their offers. I mean, why would they talk about that offer in particular? I thought these offers were confidential?

Let's face it, MLB settled the ARod situation just in time for the Tanaka bidding. I doubt that was just a coincidence.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

If I were Tanaka, I'd look at National League, stay away from DH.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

"Geez Tanaka, hurry up!!!"   Yell

-- Santana, Garza, and all the remaining free agent starting pitchers

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's face it, MLB settled the ARod situation just in time for the Tanaka bidding. I doubt that was just a coincidence.

[/QUOTE]

Yup.  free up $25MM (+$6MM in HR incentive he would have gotten) just in time for the japanese bidding war.

@ Icecream:  hahahaha.  good stuff m8.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

The Masahiro Tanaka clock is ticking, and the right-hander has until Friday to agree to a deal with his first Major League team. Recent reports have indicated that the Cubs are emerging as one of the favorites, but their status as a losing team could stand in the way of landing Tanaka. Yesterday it was reported that Tanaka could agree on Tuesday or Wednesday this week in order to give his new club time to perform the necessary physical and paperwork to make things official. We'll keep track of today's Tanaka-centric links here...

• Whichever club is chosen by Tanaka should know by at least the end of the day Wednesday, tweets David Kaplan of CSN Chicago and WGN Radio. That way, explains Kaplan, the club has time for "additional medicals."
    • The Blue Jays "are not among the teams in consideration" for Tanaka, says Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star. But Toronto is definitely involved in adding a free agent starter from what Griffin calls the "next tier" of starting arms, and is willing to sacrifice a second-round pick to do so. (The Jays' two first-round choices are protected.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Look alike the Cubs may wins the bid, but like the writer said, would he go to the Cubs as a losing team? or he rather to sign with them just for the $$$$$$$.

Hope the Cubs wins the bid where they can keep him away from the Yankees!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Geez Tanaka, hurry up!!!"   Yell

-- Santana, Garza, and all the remaining free agent starting pitchers

[/QUOTE]

maybe U can remember a  big FA signing this late while effecting others

but ever almost a whole position being held up ?

I can't

Ben Nicholson-Smith ‏@bnicholsonsmith 3h

53 #MLB free agents have signed contracts of at least $5 million this winter. Zero of 53 agreed to terms since Tanaka was posted Dec. 25.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

As soon as Tanaka signs I'm expecting the rest of the FA market to fall like dominos.  Whoever is left in the dust may end up paying a premuim for Dempster/Peavy in spring training if they are desperate for starting pitching. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti1. Show javaukti1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup.  free up $25MM (+$6MM in HR incentive he would have gotten) just in time for the japanese bidding war.

[/QUOTE]

The have extra $$$ this year but WD still be over the lux tax threshold by signing Tanaka (or any FA for that matter), and ARod is back on the Yankee payroll in 2015 - 2017.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from vic5014. Show vic5014's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The have extra $$$ this year but WD still be over the lux tax threshold by signing Tanaka (or any FA for that matter), and ARod is back on the Yankee payroll in 2015 - 2017.

[/QUOTE]

I never really believed the Yanks cared that much about the luxury tax. They're just peeved that going over year after year means that they pay an extra-steep penalty. If they can get below for just one year, their penalty rate resets. that's what all the noise about getting below the threshold is about. Anyway, anyone who still thinks the luxury tax is a big factor in their spending plans clearly hasn't been paying attention. the old Steinbrenner Yanks are back, what with massively overpaying for Ellsbury (sorry Jacoby, but you just aren't worth that much to anyone else) and others.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I would be very surprised if Tanaka signed with a team other than the Yankees or Dodgers. They are the most aggressive spenders and also probably the most desirable locations for free agents.