Tazawa

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Tazawa

Only a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if this kid Tazawa isn't grooved as a starter come spring trraining. I love his demeaner as well as his 96 mph fast ball. He started his career as a starter and, I think, did fairly well for a rookie. His K to BB ratio is very high, as well, so he knows whee the platte is.

What say, fellow gurus?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Tazawa

Agree. His stuff is as good as anybody we have.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Been saying this for over a month now...Agree 100%

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I thought he was lost after surgery ... but he has really impressed me.  Goes after it, not a nibbler. I like it.  That fastball is 97 sometimes

If we can get Franklin to grow into his potential, we might just have two surprise starters with quality and stones.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Love to see him be a starter but if he can't how about a lights out 8th inning reliever?

1)  Need to Acquire an Ace

2)  Bucholz

3)  Lester

4)  Lackey

5)  Taz ??

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Love to see him be a starter but if he can't how about a lights out 8th inning reliever?

1)  Need to Acquire an Ace

2)  Bucholz

3)  Lester

4)  Lackey

5)  Taz ??

[/QUOTE]

Heres a crazy trade idea B...Ask Philly if they will eat enough $$ to make Cliff Lees contract 20mm per or under and we will give them Doubront. Since I dont see him on your starting 5. It would be high $$ for low years for a proven Ace that gives you 200IP, a incredible K/BB ratio and is a professional that doesnt have a history of injuries. He could be a good guy for these young guys to look up to for the next 3 years. Hes never been a power pitcher so he knows how to pitch with a 92mph FB effectively. He would be the kind of over 30 pitcher I would dump some $$ on for 3 years. We could afford this without crippling the team for years to come and I believe it would be a wiser investment than Lackey was..

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Tazawa 9.6K/9 1.2BB/9 7.8K/BB (second best walk to strikeout among relievers). Leave him in the bullpen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Mt200's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tazawa 9.6K/9 1.2BB/9 7.8K/BB (second best walk to strikeout among relievers). Leave him in the bullpen.

[/QUOTE]

It's a lot easier to find an 8th inning guy than it is a starter. To me those numbers suggest that Tazawa should get a shot at the rotation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I really think that Lester can be the 15+ pitcher he has been his whole career. I refuse to think that after one bad year that this is who he is. I also think Buch will be solid. We have to put lackey in the rotation because nobody will take him just coming off TJS until he proves himself. I do think he can win 14 games though. He will probably lose 10 too, but could add another 200IP.

Ive been saying Tazawa deserves a shot in the rotation. He was a starter before TJS and since then hes gained a few MPH on his FB which has given him better seperation from his already above avaerage secondary pitches. Hes more valuable in the rotation than the 8th inning.

I agree with you Bobbysu...Stay away from spending big $$ on guys like Hamilton and giving up solid prospects for guys like Upton. Prospects should be used for top starting pitching only.

I really would inquire with the Phillies on a Lee/Doubront trade...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Don't expect Philadelphia to shuffle Lee out the door - if you haven't checked in a while, you might be surprised to see they are now 3 games out of the second wild card.

I fully agree Tazawa needs to be in the rotation next year - he's been by far our best pitcher down the stretch.  Every time he takes the mound he looks better and better.  

As for aces, you have to define who the aces are, and I think there are only a handful in the game right now:  Verlander, Felix, Kershaw, Cueto, Dickey, Strasburg, Weaver, Price, Cain & Dickey.  Greinke, Lee, Peavy, Halladay & Sabathia are nearly aces, but either have a lot of question marks surrounding them, either due to age, injuries or consistency.  Chris Sale and Gio Gonzalez are potential aces, but we need to see another year of them first - remember Buchholz finished 2010 with a 2.33 ERA.

IMO, of that list, only Dickey, Felix, Lee, Greinke & Peavy are obtainable.  Peavy, as a free agent, is the easiest to obtain, but has the worst injury history.  If we were to sign him, and he stayed healthy all year, that alone might be enough to bring us back into playoff contention.

Greinke is also a FA, but does not feel like a good fit for Boston, or any large market.  I would stay away from Greinke.

I don't believe Lee is all that obtainable - he would cost a lot in terms of prospects, and he would probably harbor some resentment being traded from a team he gave a discount to join.  He has also had some injuries this year, and moving the AL East (especially Fenway as a left-handed starter) will not do him any favors (Lester's Road ERA is 3.34; Doubront's is 4.41).  I would stay away from Lee.

Felix would require selling the farm, and he his success is tied to a sudden and unnatural mid-season rise in velocity.  I've pointed this out before, but nobody seems to notice or care.  Don't even look at Felix Hernandez.

RA Dickey is an interesting name - the Mets will pick up his option, but they know they need to rebuild, and that Dickey won't be around to see the next Mets contender.  We might be able to get him for a top 3 org prospect, and a top 10 - maybe Barnes and Swihart, for example.  Another nice aspect of having Dickey at the top of the rotation is that Steven Wright has been impressive since re-inventing himself in the mold of Dickey, and you don't expect the Sox will carry two knuckle-ballers in the rotation, but Wright could work out of the bullpen and learn a lot from Dickey.

That would give us a rotation of

Dickey / Peavy

Lester

Buchholz

Lackey

Tazawa

It could be the best rotation in baseball, or it could be a flop.  You just never know.  If we also addressed the gaping hole left in our offense, though, it looks good enough on paper to reach the post-season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

For all that think that going from the bullpen to the rotation is an easy transition may I remind you that the Sox and Bard thought the very same thing last off season.

Bard may be ruined forever although I hope that ending the season physically healthy will allow him to get his mental health back during the winter and return as a quality major league pitcher again next season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For all that think that going from the bullpen to the rotation is an easy transition may I remind you that the Sox and Bard thought the very same thing last off season.

Bard may be ruined forever although I hope that ending the season physically healthy will allow him to get his mental health back during the winter and return as a quality major league pitcher again next season.

[/QUOTE]

Tazawa has four pitches, and was a starter before his surgery.  Bard lost 8 MPH on his fastball - if he regains it he'll be a great reliever again.  If not, he won't be effective in any role.  I don't really see a parrallel.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tazawa was a starter when he was up with Boston before.  Bard was never a starter in the ML.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

The Red Sox have an ace. His name is Lester. All that needs to be done is for the Red Sox to trade him to TB or the Yanks and suddenly Lester would be mysteriously getting every close call what ever pitcher the Yanks pick up off the scrap heap, or what ever closer TB signs for a year,  gets. 

Love Tazawa and always have. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

When everyone reports next Feb. in good health (??) I think there's not much wrong with the positional roster. Good speed, and defense; good R/L combos in the outfield and at C.

I think this 2012 disaster can be a blessing in disguise. The Pawtucket guys are getting great experience, playing in games that mean something (even if it is, to other teams). There is still an atmosphere not found in spring training.

And that leaves PITCHING, the real problem. I woujld also see more teaching, and other action, spring training. I live in Ft Myers, and at 88 (coming before March), there's not much keeping me from dropping in at the ball park(s) to see what's going on. As far as I can see, that's usally "not much" In fact, it's pretty boring most of the time. I have NEVER seen a coach getting a guy to lay down 50 or 60 bunts, and correcting him after each pitch.

Well, belirve it or not, I think I'll see another WS before croak-time shows up!.