Thanks Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Thanks Salty

Classy move by Saltalamacchia. say what you want about him as a player, hes a stand up classy guy...Best of luck in Miami!

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/12/a_thank_you_from_jarrod_saltalamacchia.html?comments=all#comments

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Thanks Salty

Aw man.  I am a sap by nature, but this year has made me an insufferable romantic.  This nice, simple message from Salty just made me cry.  Thanks Salty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I thought Jarrod Saltalamacchia was washed up when the Red Sox acquired the switch-hitting catcher in a July 2010 trade.

Saltalamacchia far exceeded my expectations and, despite his flaws, contributed signficantly to a World Series title run. Red Sox fans should be grateful.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Thank you Mr. Saltalamacchia for your hard work and bringing Red Sox Nation a World Series title!!!   Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Class, all the way. Nick Cafardo said during the WS parade tribute to the marathon victims,  "Salty's a tremendous person. He did a lot quietly behind the scenes, no one knew about"

Sorry, paw, didn't see yours, before I posted the letter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Way to be, Jarrod Saltalamacchia!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Salty is sweet!

as you all know (or should know) i am a big Salty fan and find it a complete travesty we let Salty go to the Marlins so cheap. All we had to do was match it or come close to matching it and Salty would still be with us. and if in a year or two either Vasquez or Swihart emerge then you could have traded him... it's not like he was overpaid... he signed an extremely fair deal. i just don't know what ben was thinking on that one.

anyway, best of luck to you Salt-man. i will continue to root for you as a Marlin. have fun playing in front of all 3 Marlin fans. you'll always have friends in Boston.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Nice touch, he and Gomes were the players who draped the 617 jerseys on the WS trophy during the parade.  He's class all the way.  Best of luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I feel for the guy.  He obviously didnt want to leave.  for the amount he signed for i wouldnt have minded a reunion.   I wish him well.  He will always be well received.  He was a part of a special group. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to croc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nice touch, he and Gomes were the players who draped the 617 jerseys on the WS trophy during the parade.  He's class all the way.  Best of luck!

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I was right there watching them do that. It was quite the moment.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salty is sweet!

as you all know (or should know) i am a big Salty fan and find it a complete travesty we let Salty go to the Marlins so cheap. All we had to do was match it or come close to matching it and Salty would still be with us. and if in a year or two either Vasquez or Swihart emerge then you could have traded him... it's not like he was overpaid... he signed an extremely fair deal. i just don't know what ben was thinking on that one.

anyway, best of luck to you Salt-man. i will continue to root for you as a Marlin. have fun playing in front of all 3 Marlin fans. you'll always have friends in Boston.

[/QUOTE]

Salty ended up taking 1 year and 3 million more dollars to go to the marlins instead of accepting the redsox reported 2/18... So in reality i think it is salty who is the one that is cheap and in the end staying in boston really didnt mean THAT much to Salty. I can't figure out for the life of me why salty made the decision he did, all for 3 million bucks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I've been one of Salty's biggest supporters since about midway through the 2012 season; before that I was pretty harsh on him, particularly his handling of the staff and low OBP.

The guy continouosly improved basically every single part of his game, except 2: K rate and CS%. These happen to be the two areas I have always felt are overblown by many fans, so my overall value judgement on Salty rose and rose over his time here.

Yes, I wanted to trade him after 2011. I even suggested possibly trading him after 2012, if he was not in Ben's longterm plans. I'm not sure if he was, or he wasn't last spring, but things worked out for both Ben and Salty and us Sox fans, so what's to complain about.

Could we have won without Salty this year and had something for the future to show for him instead of nothing? Possibly. Possibly not. All I know is the guy kept getting better, and that helped us win. He went from being horrible with our staff to being decent. He improved is LD% which improved his BAbip and OBP. His overall OPS kept going up and up, and at age 29, I think he may not have been finished improving.

I wish him the best and am glad he is on a team that I don't have to root against and for him to do poorly. 

Thanks for all you gave us, Salty. Good luck in South Beach.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Salty is sweet!

[/QUOTE]

Salty ended up taking 1 year and 3 million more dollars to go to the marlins instead of accepting the redsox reported 2/18... So in reality i think it is salty who is the one that is cheap and in the end staying in boston really didnt mean THAT much to Salty. I can't figure out for the life of me why salty made the decision he did, all for 3 million bucks.

[/QUOTE]

He knew he wasn't valued enough to start over Ross when it counted. 

I can't blame him for going someplace, he knows he will be fully appreciated.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Salty is sweet!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i think it was the extra year as opposed to the 3M dollars. I guess the blame goes both ways. but im having trouble blaming salty for sacrificing a higher AAV for another year of job security. I'd probably do the same thing. When your making millions of dollars, what's another 2M? another guarenteed year of playing time is another thing entirely

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Salty is sweet!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He knew he wasn't valued enough to start over Ross when it counted. 

I can't blame him for going someplace, he knows he will be fully appreciated.

[/QUOTE]

i don't buy that at all. Yes, Farrell went with Ross over Salty in the last few games of the WS but we can't forget that Salty caught 119 games leading up to that and Ross was out for a long time in the second half. IMO, it was more of a "who's fresher" scenario. If Salty was retained, you can bet your bottom dollar he still would have caught many more games than Ross in 2014.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty was clearly benched for Ross. That had to hurt.

What other reason could there be for taking so little for the 3rd year?

Maybe he loves the beach?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Its his home.  Lots of reasons to love it.  There is something to being needed.  I think salty lost that feeling.  Glad he was a part of the magic of last season.  He will always be cheered loudly.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he was probably adamant on getting a 3 year deal and the sox refused to go past 2. seems pretty reasonable to me.

also, we don't know for sure what the Sox' offer actually was. it may have been a bigger disparity than simply 3M.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he was probably adamant on getting a 3 year deal and the sox refused to go past 2. seems pretty reasonable to me.

also, we don't know for sure what the Sox' offer actually was. it may have been a bigger disparity than simply 3M.

[/QUOTE]

Come on, $3M for the 3rd year was not what this was about. Salty could easily get more than that at age 31.

It was about being benched in the WS and playing FT going forward.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I also think that it was a mistake to not match the Marlins offer on Salty. He was part of the clubhouse chemistry that won a WS. He put the Sox in a position to win it long before the last few games of the WS. Can't see how people can bash a player on the 2013 team for anything. They were picked to be close to last. Salty held the fort when Ross was no where to be seen. 

RS should have kept Salty for 3 years. An argument can certainly be made that the extra $3M for another year is nothing either. Vasquez is still a prospect. Heaven forbid that he has permanent growing pains like Lava who was projected to be a masher from behind the plate.

Anyway, kudos to Salty. I hope that he continues to improve.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For what it's worth, Jonny Gomes, Stephen Drew and David Ross left teams coming off a 94-win seasons to join a team coming off a 93-loss season. Mike Napoli, Ryan Dempster and Koji Uehara left a team coming off a 93-win season to join a team coming off a 93-loss season. Shane Victorino left a team coming off an 86-win season to join a team coming off a 93-loss season.

It worked out well for them.

The financial flexibility that resulted from the trade with the Los Angeles Dodgers gave the Red Sox to ability to generously pay (or overpay) free agents.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I also think that it was a mistake to not match the Marlins offer on Salty. He was part of the clubhouse chemistry that won a WS. He put the Sox in a position to win it long before the last few games of the WS. Can't see how people can bash a player on the 2013 team for anything. They were picked to be close to last. Salty held the fort when Ross was no where to be seen. 

RS should have kept Salty for 3 years. An argument can certainly be made that the extra $3M for another year is nothing either. Vasquez is still a prospect. Heaven forbid that he has permanent growing pains like Lava who was projected to be a masher from behind the plate.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and if we had to, we could have traded Salty after 2 years and saved money, since we'd have only paid him $14M/2 not $18M/2. If he struggled for those two years, and his stock went down, we could have easily paid $4M of his remaining $7M and broke even.

What I wonder is this: would Salty have taken $22M/3 to play with the Sox. That would answer a lot of questions about motives.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's the main reason, the day after the trade, I called the trade "perhaps the best Sox trade in my lifetime".

The prospects were just icing on the cake. I'd have been happy with the trade as it was minus all the players we got back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He was very much an unsung hero this season. When Ross went down Salty stepped up. Didn't skip a beat. Improved his hitting, especially in the Clutch, during the most critical time. The Dog Days, and Down the stretch. Held the Staff together, worked hard.
    Every year he improved, I did not like this guy, for a while there. But, when he finished here, he has my admiration.
    Nice Job Salty, all the Sox Fans will be rooting for you, and wish your Family the Best.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and if we had to, we could have traded Salty after 2 years and saved money, since we'd have only paid him $14M/2 not $18M/2. If he struggled for those two years, and his stock went down, we could have easily paid $4M of his remaining $7M and broke even.

What I wonder is this: would Salty have taken $22M/3 to play with the Sox. That would answer a lot of questions about motives.

[/QUOTE]

All speculation, but I wonder if it would have helped to front load his contract so others would be anxious to acquire him in later years. Sox could have gone 8M, 7M, 6M with a $1M signing bonus to get to your $22M. 

I think he would have taken a 3 year deal. He liked his team mates and he liked Boston. Plus, the three-year deal that he was demanding would have gone a long way to smoothing things over. The guy must have some pride. Being pulled from the WS is one thing, but getting the Sox to go an extra year would have shown some return of respect to him. Giving him two years was like adding insult to injury. Anyway, just my thoughts.