That, that BUM Scutaro... fielding slicker than the Exxon Valdez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

That, that BUM Scutaro... fielding slicker than the Exxon Valdez

I am so glad Scut pulled off the "TopTen" play last night. 

The language and attitude toward him has been over the top. 

The reference to the Valdez is on purpose.  The only real wreck is the attitude we have been hammering Scutaro.   Jeees. 

So what if he's not Velez (fielding) or Hornsby (batting) ... he's never meant to be ...

But he has been fairly respectable.

He has certainly done better than Lugo.

He even may be more stable than the current WS MVP when he played for us ....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Re: That, that BUM Scutaro... fielding slicker than the Exxon Valdez

WHAT, are you telling me we dont have an Allstar SS yet? How can we the Sox faithfull allow this to happen? We need to demand change.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

...not Otto but Stephan, the slickest SS to ever play his high school ball at Juanita, FL

I have to re-read my stuff before I post it .... not good

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: That, that BUM Scutaro... fielding slicker than the Exxon Valdez:
    [QUOTE]WHAT, are you telling me we dont have an Allstar SS yet? How can we the Sox faithfull allow this to happen? We need to demand change.
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]

Good morning, Talent Scout Promise!!!!

... I just DON'T get it ... WHY all the anger toward the guy?  We're playing well enough to lead the Stinkees, and every other AL team ... but now we have to pound Lugo?

I mean Scutaro ...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

In Response to Re: That, that BUM Scutaro... fielding slicker than the Exxon Valdez:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: That, that BUM Scutaro... fielding slicker than the Exxon Valdez : Good morning, Talent Scout Promise!!!!   ... I just DON'T get it ... WHY all the anger toward the guy?  We're playing well enough to lead the Stinkees, and every other AL team ... but now we have to pound Lugo?     I mean Scutaro ...
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Because people are entitled to have Allstars at every position. Sometimes I long for the days when we had none!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'll eat a little crow today.  Scutaro's play was outstanding, and I have expressed my doubts about his fielding abilities, especially his arm.  however, hitting just .258 and Lowrie possibly back in a couple weeks.  who gets the starting job at that point?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The Sox won the WS in 2007 with Lugo at SS.   Scutaro is better than Lugo was.  He doesn't have to be great to be an asset. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Gonzales was better than Scutaro or Lugo - and now Gonz and Lugo are both in Atlanta I believe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Calling Scutaro 'garbage', as many did here just recently, only shows folks' lack of baseball appreciation.  Scutaro is a grinder.  Not the most talented, but has worked hard over his career to make the most of what he's got.  Not a great hitter, but has a professional, patient approach, can hit anywhere in the line-up, and can drive the ball.  In the field, he doesn't have sensational range, nor the greatest arm (though not nearly as bad as some have been suggesting, last nights play case-in-point), but he has good instincts for the ball.  He is just a good hard-nosed baseball guy.  Played last year injured, never said a word.  Old-school.  He is no all-star.  But I like having a guy like Marco on the club.  As Max points out, far more solid than Lugo.  So obviously, Marco is not what is keeping this club from a championship.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I was against his signing but I never have bad mouthed him. He is a true baseball player, and does his best. Cannot find fault with his effort.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Truth is, right now, nobody is keeping this team from a WS title.  Come October, SF and/or Philly might have a say, but the Sox are an offensive juggernaut, and very recently (don't know the up to the minute standings) had one of the top defenses in the league.  And their pitching has been climbing up the ranks in team ERA (meaning it is getting lower).  They have all the necessary parts.  And you are right, Spaceman.  Scutaro is a gamer, and his style of play and attitude are welcome on this club, IMO.  Just ask Francona.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I still haven't seen the play, so I'll withhold judgement for now.  My only concern with Scutaro's defense has been his arm, I haven't had a problem with his ability to get to balls, rather his inability to make the throws when ranging to the 3B side of the infield.  Maybe that's what the play was, that would certainly impress me.  Scutaro's bat is fine for a SS (OPS near .700), the only question going forward is do the Sox have better options.  IMO the Sox do have better options in house between Lowrie against LHP's and Navarro vs RHP's.  Admittedly, Navarro is something of an unknown at the MLB level, but his minor league track record shows that he should enjoy some success if given regular playing time.

Also, I never called him garbage... I stayed away from that thread.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PapiFan. Show PapiFan's posts

They should trade for Rafael Furcal to upgrade defensively.  LA wants to dump salary.  Would not cost them anything signfiicant as far as prospects.  Scutaro's arm is a concern.  He should not be a starting every day SS any more.  His offense is not good enough to warrant his defensive shortcomings.  He would be a serviceable starting 2B, but the Sox are set there for a LONG time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Scutaro should be loved by this fan base.  I just don't get why he is not.  The Sox can win the World Series with him at ss and batting 9th.  He is a 9th place hitter batting .255.  What's the problem?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]I was against his signing but I never have bad mouthed him. He is a true baseball player, and does his best. Cannot find fault with his effort.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

It's always a pleasure to watch a guy bust his fanny and succeed. He may not be the most talented SS in baseball, but he is at the top of the list of hardest worker old style players!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tombirner. Show tombirner's posts

[QUOTE]Calling Scutaro 'garbage', as many did here just recently, only shows folks' lack of baseball appreciation.  Scutaro is a grinder.  Not the most talented, but has worked hard over his career to make the most of what he's got.  Not a great hitter, but has a professional, patient approach, can hit anywhere in the line-up, and can drive the ball.  In the field, he doesn't have sensational range, nor the greatest arm (though not nearly as bad as some have been suggesting, last nights play case-in-point), but he has good instincts for the ball.  He is just a good hard-nosed baseball guy.  Played last year injured, never said a word.  Old-school.  He is no all-star.  But I like having a guy like Marco on the club.  As Max points out, far more solid than Lugo.  So obviously, Marco is not what is keeping this club from a championship.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I started that "Scuturo Is Garbage" thread. I was just venting. Great play by him in the field today. He was right slick, and he seems to be a good teammate. The Sox can certainly win with him... I just think he's one of the weaker players on our team and I felt like venting. I still don't get why people get so defensive against multi millionaire baseball players getting s@hit from some anonymous bum on the internet, but anyway... I still give the job to Lowrie if and when (let's go with "when he's healthy for a few weeks") he's healthy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: That, that BUM Scutaro... fielding slicker than the Exxon Valdez : I started that "Scuturo Is Garbage" thread. I was just venting. Great play by him in the field today. He was right slick, and he seems to be a good teammate. The Sox can certainly win with him... I just think he's one of the weaker players on our team and I felt like venting. I still don't get why people get so defensive against multi millionaire baseball players getting s@hit from some anonymous bum on the internet, but anyway... I still give the job to Lowrie if and when (let's go with "when he's healthy for a few weeks") he's healthy.
    Posted by tombirner[/QUOTE]

haha.  well, on two accounts i appreciate your post here:  1. you take the pizz out of yourself with your just-venting admission and your praise of Scutaro, and 2. you take the pizz out of me by pointing out that it is kinda silly to get defensive about spoiled pro athletes.

I guess, on a relative scale, I see Scutaro as the "working man" of this elite, richy-rich bunch, and I hate to see the "proletariat" treated unfairly. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Space please, Im in wine mode, I had to look this up, try to keep it to less than 6 letters for me please!
    pro·le·tar·i·at audio (prl-târ-t) KEY

NOUN:
      1. The class of industrial wage earners who, possessing neither capital nor production means, must earn their living by selling their labor.
      2. The poorest class of working people.
    1. The propertyless class of ancient Rome, constituting the lowest class of citizens.

Damn thats me with a 401K

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Space please, Im in wine mode, I had to look this up, try to keep it to less than 6 letters for me please! pro·le·tar·i·at (pr l -târ - t) KEY NOUN: The class of industrial wage earners who, possessing neither capital nor production means, must earn their living by selling their labor. The poorest class of working people. The propertyless class of ancient Rome, constituting the lowest class of citizens. Damn thats me with a 401K
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]

:)

nothing wrong with a ltitle education for us all.

:)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox won the WS in 2007 with Lugo at SS.   Scutaro is better than Lugo was.  He doesn't have to be great to be an asset. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    Lugo + Red Sox = World Series

Scutaro>Lugo

Scutaro + Red Sox > World series ?

My math May be wrong.......But this bodes well for us