That Trade for Peavy looks real good!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: That Trade for Peavy looks real good!

In response to The4040club's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He wasnt amazing v the Rays and has already pulled a choke job and Igleseis even made contact off him! This could come back to bite...

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  This is a true test and it is ironic that Iggy was involved in the runs produced.

[/QUOTE]

No thanks to anything Iggy did on a positive note.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pedroia is more at fault than Peavy. if the Sox lose this Series, Pedroia is probably taking the brunt of these.

[/QUOTE]

Dustin went a way to get to that ball.  i would not blame that on either of them. 

[/QUOTE]

What game were you watching?

That was a routine double play ball.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He wasnt amazing v the Rays and has already pulled a choke job and Igleseis even made contact off him! This could come back to bite...

[/QUOTE]

Newsflash. Iggy isn't that good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The whole rationale for the trade was that we needed a Peavy to pitch in a game like tonight. Ben has done a lot of good things. This was not one of them. The trade was dumb. If Ben saw Iglesias as a career utility guy, that is even dumber. I see the trade as being done under the pressure of " needing to do something" at the deadline. It was a mistake , and no amount of spin is going to change that. 

[/QUOTE]

I think the other part of the "rationale" is that iggy isnt that good.

Detroit also thinks iggy isnt that good. He sits 40 percent of the time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

All I know is that when the deal happened the first thing I mentioned was Peavy's career post season #'s and I was immediately told they don't count, he was hurt back then, blah blah blah.......and now, well, the fact is that he never was and perhaps never will be any good in the Post Season.  He's like the anti-Schilling.  He probably shouldn't get another start again this year.  The question is:  Would you rather have Peavy starting and no Iggy OR Workman starting and keep Iggy?  I hope the jury is still out and Peavy gets a chance to and DOES redeem himself.

If you saw how he pitched last night, he was aiming the ball, holding onto it too long and half-a--ing his delivering.  He may have been intense but his concentration was not on his mechanics at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Farell admitted weeks ago on WEEI that the Peavy trade only came about due to the uncertainty of Bucholz.

[/QUOTE]

Then,  if the trade wasn't made, everyone would be complaining BC didn't make one, for another starter. In all his incompetence,  did he really think they could win, with Depster and Doubrant? 

Peavy threw a great game, in Tampa. He didn't have it last night. Isn't that how it is with most pitchers, game to game? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Again the thing that I find amusing about all of this is how people assume Iggy is going to be fantastic.

I for one assume he is going to be Adam everett.

You all remember him right? Oh. You don't?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Again the thing that I find amusing about all of this is how people assume Iggy is going to be fantastic.

[/QUOTE]

I'm amazed that some fans think we shouldn't lose a single game in the playoffs.

The Tigers are obviously pushovers, and we're losing simply because of stupid moves by the FO and/or Farrell.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

The tigers lost two games it ain't over til the fat lady sings

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Farell admitted weeks ago on WEEI that the Peavy trade only came about due to the uncertainty of Bucholz.

[/QUOTE]

Then,  if the trade wasn't made, everyone would be complaining BC didn't make one, for another starter. In all his incompetence,  did he really think they could win, with Depster and Doubrant? 

Peavy threw a great game, in Tampa. He didn't have it last night. Isn't that how it is with most pitchers, game to game? 

[/QUOTE]

J-Bay - sure, you have good games and not so good games but the key thing with pitching, as in all sports, is consistency.  You don't go from pitching a quality game one week and then they next week pitching arguably the worst start in playoff history for the Sox (other than maybe Wakefield in 08).  That's why I don't like ERA.  He had like a 1.5 ERA in his first start and like a 20 ERA in his second sart.  You can't average the #'s, - you have to look at the variation.  Consistency = Confidence.  W/ Peavy right now, I don't think anyone can honestly say there any confidence in him right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm amazed that some fans think we shouldn't lose a single game in the playoffs.

The Tigers are obviously pushovers, and we're losing simply because of stupid moves by the FO and/or Farrell.

[/QUOTE]

No one expects a sweep and the Tigers are at least as good as The Sox.

But last night was a sloppy sloppy game and Peavy pretty much gave it away immediately.  On top of that, we couldn't get runners in from scoring position and less than 2 men out.  Losing is one thing but handing over a win is another........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

J-Bay - sure, you have good games and not so good games but the key thing with pitching, as in all sports, is consistency.  You don't go from pitching a quality game one week and then they next week pitching arguably the worst start in playoff history for the Sox (other than maybe Wakefield in 08).  That's why I don't like ERA.  He had like a 1.5 ERA in his first start and like a 20 ERA in his second sart.  You can't average the #'s, - you have to look at the variation.  Consistency = Confidence.  W/ Peavy right now, I don't think anyone can honestly say there any confidence in him right now.

[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I do. Peavy is 4-1, since the trade. He's a good pitcher, who had a terrible start, last night. It's that simple. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I do. Peavy is 4-1, since the trade. He's a good pitcher, who had a terrible start, last night. It's that simple. 

[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right.  But Peavy is really a good pitcher who blows chunks in the playoffs.  Numbers don't lie.........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to LionSean's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No one expects a sweep and the Tigers are at least as good as The Sox.

But last night was a sloppy sloppy game and Peavy pretty much gave it away immediately.  On top of that, we couldn't get runners in from scoring position and less than 2 men out.  Losing is one thing but handing over a win is another........

[/QUOTE]

Bingo. FTR, Peavy had a lousy game but the the Sox offense should have been able to overcome it.

[/QUOTE]

yes, they needed to get 1 here and 1 there vs Fister and then unleashed a big inning vs the pen.  it didn't happen.  They stole G1, we stole G2.  We stole G3, they stole G4....This is the playoffs where you can not make any mistakes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The whole rationale for the trade was that we needed a Peavy to pitch in a game like tonight. Ben has done a lot of good things. This was not one of them. The trade was dumb. If Ben saw Iglesias as a career utility guy, that is even dumber. I see the trade as being done under the pressure of " needing to do something" at the deadline. It was a mistake , and no amount of spin is going to change that. 

[/QUOTE]

Now this makes no sense. You trade an excess piece and get a good starter. Regardless of this game it was worth it. He also came up huge against TB. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Iglesias will be on an All-Star team or two by virtue of a few AL managers who highly value SS defensive talent. Most importantly, he'll be playing starting SS for many years to come, long after the Red Sox finish paying about 20 million to old has been Jake Peavy. 

Iglesias will never be an All-Star. On of that you revealed that you have no idea how a roster is selected for an AllStar game, you embarassed yourself again.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yes I don't know why Sox Mgt want to get offense out of SS

The trade though was based more on the fact that Clay went MIA for months on end yet again and well, let's face it the man ain't exactly made of Iron; had he been his momma would had named him Iron and not Clay!  I don't completely blame The Man Made of Clay though, I blame Sox Mgt for thinking they can ride out Lester and Clay to take them to the promise land.  Had Mgt stopped living the dream they could had done something more prudent in the off-season. 

But I wouldn't get too excited about Iggy just yet.  Until he can sustain a 250 BA he can't be considered an ideal SS even if he is tops in D.  There are min. thresholds.  The problem is that The Sox want to have better than average offense at every position and that is their mistake.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right.  But Peavy is really a good pitcher who blows chunks in the playoffs.  Numbers don't lie.........

[/QUOTE]

He didn't, during the ALDS

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He didn't, during the ALDS

[/QUOTE]

2 terrible starts

1 good start (technically not even a QS)

and the single worst playoff start for a Red Sox pitcher in history - You gotta give this start the most weight too since it is the most recent and the only one in an LCS

Slice it a million ways - the result is still the same - he can not be trusted w/ the ball in a post season game.  Only through desperation would be get the ball again this year.  Or, if we are in the WS up 3-0.......that's pretty much it.

I hope I am wrong and we can have this discussion again.............

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

BosoxJoe5 that is quite bold of you to say such a thing... I wouldn't bet on it.

[/QUOTE]

Just what I was thinking