The Amazing Jose Iglesias

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: The Amazing Jose Iglesias

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

[QUOTE]

I get the feeling that the Red Sox never really believed Iglesias would hit enough to earn his keep in a major league lineup, hence the signing of Drew this winter. Iggy got an opportunity due to Drew's concussion followed by Middlebrooks' injury and struggles, and he ran with it...but it seems like Cherington saw Iggy's cold July as proof he was falling back to earth and took the opportunity to "sell high."

To me, the jury is still out on what kind of a hitter Iglesias is going to be. He had a freakishly good couple of months earlier in the season, but he's also at .229/.258/.263 since July 1st - is that more representative of what we can expect from him going forward? Yes, his glove is magic, but will it justify him being an everyday player if he's an automatic out in the lineup?

I don't think anyone can answer those questions conclusively...only time will tell what kind of player Iglesias will become and how this trade will turn out. Cherington took a risk here, it's true. We needed a starting pitcher, and he took a risk (how often have our GMs been torn to shreds here for supposedly not having the spine to do that?) ..in the worst-case scenario, Peavy might be Erik Bedard Part 2 and Iggy might be a star for the next decade and longer, but I think that's hardly a slam-dunk. I wish we'd been able to keep Iggy, but we're going to have to wait to see how this works out, and I'm certainly not ready to condemn the trade because he got a few more infield hits or made a sweet play in the field.

He has had a couple of 2 for 4 games with the tigers.   People kept expecting Iggy to hit like he is batting 4th.  He is batting 9th and I am not sure of the averages for other's in that hole, but I bet iggy is right up.

[/QUOTE]

He is batting.324. How many guys in the majors are doing that, much less # 9 hitters ?  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

[QUOTE]

southpaw flat out hates Iggy. Drew and Peavey will be gone and forgotten by 2015 and Iggy will be winning gold gloves and batting .260 through 2025.

Yes he does and I believe he also hates JBJ.  @JohnBerman posted a nice play by Iggy.

[/QUOTE]

Although this mindless comment contradicts everything Ive ever said about each player, you and Burr keep on believing what you write. Can you possibly look any more foolish and be any more clueless?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I get the feeling that the Red Sox never really believed Iglesias would hit enough to earn his keep in a major league lineup, hence the signing of Drew this winter. Iggy got an opportunity due to Drew's concussion followed by Middlebrooks' injury and struggles, and he ran with it...but it seems like Cherington saw Iggy's cold July as proof he was falling back to earth and took the opportunity to "sell high."

To me, the jury is still out on what kind of a hitter Iglesias is going to be. He had a freakishly good couple of months earlier in the season, but he's also at .229/.258/.263 since July 1st - is that more representative of what we can expect from him going forward? Yes, his glove is magic, but will it justify him being an everyday player if he's an automatic out in the lineup?

I don't think anyone can answer those questions conclusively...only time will tell what kind of player Iglesias will become and how this trade will turn out. Cherington took a risk here, it's true. We needed a starting pitcher, and he took a risk (how often have our GMs been torn to shreds here for supposedly not having the spine to do that?) ..in the worst-case scenario, Peavy might be Erik Bedard Part 2 and Iggy might be a star for the next decade and longer, but I think that's hardly a slam-dunk. I wish we'd been able to keep Iggy, but we're going to have to wait to see how this works out, and I'm certainly not ready to condemn the trade because he got a few more infield hits or made a sweet play in the field.

He has had a couple of 2 for 4 games with the tigers.   People kept expecting Iggy to hit like he is batting 4th.  He is batting 9th and I am not sure of the averages for other's in that hole, but I bet iggy is right up.

[/QUOTE]

He is batting.324. How many guys in the majors are doing that, much less # 9 hitters ?  

[/QUOTE]

Thats why there are more stats than just BA to understand why he could possibly be doing so good. Dig deeper.

I think he will be at least a decent hitter (250ish), but hes not a true 300 hitter, not with that high babip and low LD%. Give it time. just like its dropped over 100pts over the last month or so, it will make its way down a little more. Thats not negative like some here think, its just a realistic view looking at ALL the stats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

What I will miss most about Iggy is being able to sing every time he comes up to the plate "Jose Jooooose Jose Jooose" (as opposed to Olay olay, olay olay.) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

southpaw flat out hates Iggy. Drew and Peavey will be gone and forgotten by 2015 and Iggy will be winning gold gloves and batting .260 through 2025.

Yes he does and I believe he also hates JBJ.  @JohnBerman posted a nice play by Iggy.

[/QUOTE]

So, you do hate Ortiz.

Glad we've finally got that cleared up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Trading away a GG cost-controlled SS for a slightly better than mediocre pitcher so the team can have a better chance (not a lock, a chance) at winning a WS ring this year is the perfect recipe for remaining the bridesmaid and never being the bride. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So, you dohate Ortiz.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Because i dont think JBJ is better than Ellsbury right now. Also because Ive stated all along that I was in favor of the Iggy trade and also maintained that I believe he could win numerous GG and be a decent enough hitter (250ish), I now hate both players?

Sorry, but I have more respect for these players, MLB and prospects, than to "hate" any one player, especially prospects. Im usually the one sticking up for most players. His comment towards me just shows the kind of person he is. Just trying to start trouble without anything to back up his statement.

Did he do this kind of stuff on all the other sites 4B's?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So, you dohate Ortiz.

[/QUOTE]

still cannot resist my posts I see

[/QUOTE]

Just like to point out rampant hypocrisy when I see it.

I've ignored a ton of stupidity from you.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think we may live to regret trading Iggy but it will take some time to play out. Meantime it is fun watching his highlights, no doubt about it.

getting nerwous spankee. iggs looks like the next ozzie smith. woill hit .270-.280 consistently  (maybe higher) but with little walks and power but his defense is hands down worth any lack of offensiwe punch.. he's the BEST in the league...period! multi glowe glowes coming up! peawy at best is a 3 year guy. we had workman and others to take that ball for a few weeks. no need to giwe up the iggs like that. next year, boegy at 3rd, iggs at ss, middy at first (great deal reducing naps to just one year),, btw, what the heck happened to dawid ross? too many good studs to just waste when they show they can play esp at ss!

[/QUOTE]

I took you off "IGNORE" for THIS?????

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So, you dohate Ortiz.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Because i dont think JBJ is better than Ellsbury right now. Also because Ive stated all along that I was in favor of the Iggy trade and also maintained that I believe he could win numerous GG and be a decent enough hitter (250ish), I now hate both players?

Sorry, but I have more respect for these players, MLB and prospects, than to "hate" any one player, especially prospects. Im usually the one sticking up for most players. His comment towards me just shows the kind of person he is. Just trying to start trouble without anything to back up his statement.

Did he do this kind of stuff on all the other sites 4B's?

[/QUOTE]

It's unbelievable.

And this is the only board on which I've have the displeasure of dealing with him.

I'm sure he's the same frustrated little brat wherever he goes.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

Just like to point out rampant hypocrisy when I see it.

I've ignored a ton of stupidity from you.

[/QUOTE]

But have you figure out who works for weei and who does not?

[/QUOTE]

I have, thanks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Jb, just put me on ignore because Ive noticed you following me from thread to thread making negative comments about me. Grow up please. Take your adolescent BS to another forum.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

The handwriting is on the wall:  Iglesias for Peavy = Bagwell for Andersen

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Trading away a GG cost-controlled SS for a slightly better than mediocre pitcher so the team can have a better chance (not a lock, a chance) at winning a WS ring this year is the perfect recipe for remaining the bridesmaid and never being the bride. 

That's a very big stretch.  As has been pointed out on this thread we have Bogaerts, Cecchini and Middlebrooks, all cost-controlled.

Also remember who our shortstops were the two years we did win it all.  Stephen Drew is roughly as good as Cabrera was, and easily better than Lugo was. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to joyceand's comment:

The handwriting is on the wall:  Iglesias for Peavy = Bagwell for Andersen

Terrible comparison.

Bagwell was one of the best all-around hitters in baseball.  He had 449 HR and 1529 RBI in his career.

Andersen was a reliever who pitched a grand total of 22 innings for us. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Have you not noticed that everytime you state iggys average its lower then the time before? Iggy is not a hitter he's a fantastic glove man. Tigers can afford to hide that on their lineup. We need production top to bottom it was and will be q good trade for both teams. Calling this trade a huge blunder is the biggest joke I have heard. In order to get something good you have to give up something good, that's the way trades work.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Have you not noticed that everytime you state iggys average its lower then the time before? Iggy is not a hitter he's a fantastic glove man. Tigers can afford to hide that on their lineup. We need production top to bottom it was and will be q good trade for both teams. Calling this trade a huge blunder is the biggest joke I have heard. In order to get something good you have to give up something good, that's the way trades work.

[/QUOTE]

The way good trades work is to not trade 23 year old shortstops , who have the ability of Iglesias , for 32 year old , oft injured pitchers, with an ERA of 4.5 . That is recipe for failure and regret.  Simple logic will tell you that Iglesias can only get better, while Peavy has already seen his best days. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The way good trades work is to not trade 23 year old shortstops , who have the ability of Iglesias , for 32 year old , oft injured pitchers, with an ERA of 4.5 . That is recipe for failure and regret.  Simple logic will tell you that Iglesias can only get better, while Peavy has already seen his best days. 

I hated losing Iggy. I've been a huge Iggy fan for years. I never cared about Iggy's offense. His defense alone was good enough for me, and any offense was just a plus.

That being said, Peavy did have some great years long ago, but he's been pretty darn good recently.

2012-2013: There are 155 MLB pithcers with 130+ IP

WHIP: Peavy ranks 16th at 1.11 (Tied with Felix & Kuroda)

ERA-:  Peavy ranks 42nd at 88 (Ahead of Garza & Greinke)

SIERA: Peavy is 36th at 3.64 (Ahead of Cain & Kuroda)

These are his last 2 season's combined rankings at ages 31-32.

Innings pitched? Only 60 MLB have over 300 IP since the start of 2012, and Peavy is one.

He's 26th in WAR at 5.6 (just 0.1 behind Bumgarner), 13th in WHIP,  & 24th in ERA- .

I would not have made this trade, but Peavy may be a bit better than you give him credit for, and he was not a 2 month rental.

Sox4ever. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Also, Peavy was injured his last 2 games before he hit the DL.  The MRI missed the break the first time - he tried to play through it and got shelled.  Before those 2 starts, his ERA was 2.97 and WHIP was 1.02.

If he stays healthy, everybody lamenting this trade now will be clamoring to extend him next year.