'05-'14:

2005: 1. Ellsbury, 1. C Hansen, 1. Buchholz, 1 Lowrie, & 1 M Bowden

2006: 1. D Bard, 2. Masterson, 3. A Bates, 9. Kalish, 18. Lars Anderson

2007: 5. Middlebrooks, 6. A Rizzo, 23. D Britton

2010: 1. Brentz, 1. Ranaudo, 2. Workman, 3. Coyle, 4. Cecchini

2011: 1. Barnes, Swihart, Owens, Bradley, 4, N Ramirez, 5. Betts, 7. Kukuk

2012: 1. Marrero, 1. B Johnson, 1. P Light, 2. J Callahan

...by the 5 eras:

Ill go with 1968, 1976, 1989, 2002, and 2005 (with 2010 & 2011 close behind). 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: The Best Sox Draft by Era

Moon you left Kukuk and Betts off the 2011 list, which I'm hopeful will be looked back upon as one of the best ever in hindsight

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moon you left Kukuk and Betts off the 2011 list, which I'm hopeful will be looked back upon as one of the best ever in hindsight

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I edited the post.

2005 & 2001 are my top 2 since 1965.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Hopefully, the 2011 draft is the best. Of the proven drafts, I like the 1976 draft. Didn't blow the first pick and got Tudor and Boggs in the 3rd and 7th rounds.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hopefully, the 2011 draft is the best. Of the proven drafts, I like the 1976 draft. Didn't blow the first pick and got Tudor and Boggs in the 3rd and 7th rounds.

[/QUOTE]

Hurst, Tudor & Boggs. You are right; 1976 should be in the final 2 to 3.

How about our best International Signing year?

1982: Rey Quinones

1984: Carlos Quintana

1993: Rafael Betancourt

1997: Sun-Woo Kim

1998: Jorge de la Rosa

2000: Hanley Ramirez

'04-'05: Doubront

'06-'07: Matsusaka, Okajima, Pimental, and Che-Hsuan Lin

'08-'09: Tazawa, Luis Diaz, K de la Cruz

'09-'10: Bogaerts, Iglesias, Vinicio

'10-'11: Linares

'11-'12: M Margot, D McGrath, S Mercedes, Tzu-Wei Lin

'12-'13: W Rijo, J Almonte, L. Alexander Basabe, L Alejandro Basabe and more

'13-'14 (not over): Hinojosa, R Devers, E DeJesus, Jo. Diaz, Y Aybar and more

2001: Anibal Sanchez

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Interesting groupings, I think any draft that produced a HOF'er, should get bonus points, but not only that, but points for automatic induction should be worth more than a late election, Boggs over Rice for example. The Fisk draft  should be rated higher than the Lynn and Hobson one.

Any player drafted should be weighed against whom the team passed up to get their guy. Ellis Burks #20 was a great pick in 1983 because there is no one in the next 58 picks you would want. In 1987, the Sox took Reggie Harris #26, but could have had Albert Belle #47, or even Derek Bell #49.

With the relative low number of prospects reaching the majors, it's clear that the ability to develop players is more significant than draft order. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting groupings, I think any draft that produced a HOF'er, should get bonus points, but not only that, but points for automatic induction should be worth more than a late election, Boggs over Rice for example. The Fisk draft  should be rated higher than the Lynn and Hobson one.

Any player drafted should be weighed against whom the team passed up to get their guy. Ellis Burks #20 was a great pick in 1983 because there is no one in the next 58 picks you would want. In 1987, the Sox took Reggie Harris #26, but could have had Albert Belle #47, or even Derek Bell #49.

With the relative low number of prospects reaching the majors, it's clear that the ability to develop players is more significant than draft order. 

[/QUOTE]

HOF voting is a joke and a sham, so basing draft merit on a bunch of yahoos votes is not my choice of criteria.

That being said, the draft of Fisk was a great one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [/QUOTE]

HOF voting is a joke and a sham, so basing draft merit on a bunch of yahoos votes is not my choice of criteria.

[/QUOTE]

HOF voting is a form of crowd sourcing, the worthies get in most of the time. The steroid era has brought some issues that haven't been figured out yet. The mindset that no one gets in unanimously has always befuddled me, yet it has the result of making election more valuable.

In the grand history of HOF voting there have been some head scratchers, but we don't have the luxury of having seen all these players actually play the game, so our criticism needs to tempered with perspective. 

I can't agree with you that the voting is a joke and a sham, but, I'll keep an open mind to your position, if you are inclined to elaborate.

As for the Fisk draft, which you called great, you ranked the 1968 draft ahead of it?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

When new ownership took ovr they promised a minor league developmental machine and pretty much have given what they promised. 2011 could turn out to be one of the best drafts ever. Can remember yrs ago when it seemed Dodgers were in playoffs every yr and a different player was winning ROY award. Lets hope RS start something similar w/ Boegarts starting that trend this yr.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

HOF voting is a form of crowd sourcing, the worthies get in most of the time. The steroid era has brought some issues that haven't been figured out yet. The mindset that no one gets in unanimously has always befuddled me, yet it has the result of making election more valuable.

In the grand history of HOF voting there have been some head scratchers, but we don't have the luxury of having seen all these players actually play the game, so our criticism needs to tempered with perspective. 

I can't agree with you that the voting is a joke and a sham, but, I'll keep an open mind to your position, if you are inclined to elaborate.

As for the Fisk draft, which you called great, you ranked the 1968 draft ahead of it?

[/QUOTE]

Cooper, Oglivie and Lee were 3 very good players. I'm not sure I'd rank it ahead of Fisk. I should have made the '67 draft a finalist.

As for the sham. Look at some voter's tallies. Blatant ommisions along with strange inclusions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When new ownership took ovr they promised a minor league developmental machine and pretty much have given what they promised. 2011 could turn out to be one of the best drafts ever. Can remember yrs ago when it seemed Dodgers were in playoffs every yr and a different player was winning ROY award. Lets hope RS start something similar w/ Boegarts starting that trend this yr.

[/QUOTE]

I hope we can get a Buchholz and Ellsbury (2005 draft)out of the 2011 draft. It looks promising, and we may get more!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

The blatant omissions and the odd inclusions don't sway the curve and keep out the worthies, or let in the flakes. The guys that teeter on the edge, Rice, Morris et al, are not slam dunk Famers.Argument have to be crafted in such away to stress their high points and diminish their lows.

My personal preference is to include more players, because the Hall is for the fans, IMO. I know that Dwight Evans was the greatest RF of all time, not because he was, but because in my world at that time he was! A hall entry for Dewey would crystalize that memory before it fades away, and I'm sure fans in other towns would feel the same about their guy.

As of now, you haven't convinced me on the joke and the sham.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

A couple of Mock Drafts I've seen so far this year.
    Through the Fence
    28th Kyle Freeland LHP Evansville
    32nd Justis Sheffield LHP Tullahoma HS (TN.)
    The one that really intrigues me I love this if it happens.
    Prospect Pipeline
    28th Ti'Quan Forbes SS Columbia HS
    32nd Bradley Zimmer OF
    With the 33rd pick if Drew signs elsewhere, Sox could get Kodi Moderios, since he has committed to Pepperdine.

Too good to be true.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

The blatant omissions and the odd inclusions don't sway the curve and keep out the worthies, or let in the flakes. The guys that teeter on the edge, Rice, Morris et al, are not slam dunk Famers.Argument have to be crafted in such away to stress their high points and diminish their lows.

My personal preference is to include more players, because the Hall is for the fans, IMO. I know that Dwight Evans was the greatest RF of all time, not because he was, but because in my world at that time he was! A hall entry for Dewey would crystalize that memory before it fades away, and I'm sure fans in other towns would feel the same about their guy.

As of now, you haven't convinced me on the joke and the sham.

[/QUOTE]

One voter did not vote for Craig Biggio, because he "cheated" by using elbow guards and getting hit by pitches to get on base: the same writer voted for Bonds- elbow guard and all.

The list of these types of votes is near endless.

Sham.

Joke.

It's not as bad as the gold glove awards, but it is a joke. It is a sham.