The Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Draft

I feel it's time we start talking about the draft.  It's less than two weeks away and the Sox are picking in a slot they will likely not see for a long time.  With the new CBA rules restricting bonus pool money there may be a few teams inclined to draft a cheaper pick and spread out their money.

I'm hoping for Clint Frazier, who by some is considered the best high school bat in the draft.  He also has a great arm in the outfield as well.

Baseball America recently did a nice article on this drafts best tools:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/best-tools-2013-draft/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Re: The Draft

Be great if Appel fell to us...  but,  that won't happen. 

Frazier sounds good except he is H.S. and quite a few years away from helping out the Big Club.  By the time he gets here,  if he gets here...  Papi & Pedey will be gone.

Glad they now televise the draft on MLBNetwork...  It's always been a big deal with the other 3 major sports and should be with baseball also.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Good thread....I'm shocked more people aren't discussing it.  I would really like to see Kris Bryant fall to the Sox but that's highly unlikely....I'm sure Colorado will take them with the 3rd pick.  Gray and Appel I'm sure will be the first 2...after that there could be some people changing around.  I too would LOVE to see the Sox get Frazier but I his stock has been sky rocketing so i doubt he'll be around.  I think we'll wind up getting Stewart or Stanek.  I prefer Stewart but he may decide to play QB I heard.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think either way you can't expect Ortiz to be part of this core in years to come. 

I'm thinking a guy like Frazier you can build around with Bogaerts for a young cost control middle of the lineup duo.

If Frazier is gone I can see the Sox going after Colin Moran or or Kris Bryant (the top college bats if they are there.  I think Gray and Appel will be gone, but perhaps Stewart will fall to the Sox.

The 7th pick has pumped our a lot of good talent this decade, so I hope we get a star.

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/7th-overall-mlb-draft-pick/70609/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Someone is going to fall to the Sox.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/jim-callis-2013-mock-draft-2-0/

Baseball America has a new mock draft out today with Frazier going to the Sox at #7 as well. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I don't think Appel or Grey fall.  They probably go #1,2.  I think appel goes #2 to the cubs.  So if more of the bats go inbetween us I could see a Kohl Stewart falling to us at #7.

Otherwise I think Tray Ball, Branden Shipley or Ryan Stanek will be there.  I still think Austin Meadows is a sleeper pick.  But it looks like the Sox at least expect there to be a good Chance that Frazier is there for them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

So if more of the bats go inbetween us I could see a Kohl Stewart falling to us at #7.

I still think Austin Meadows is a sleeper pick.  

I think its interesting that none of the experts think the Red sox are interested in Meadows. One even said he wasn't their kind of player. Yet the common assumption is the Sox are looking for upside with the 7th pick. And Meadows is thought to have the most upside of the high school players. He is also thought to have great plate discipline[A Red Sox focus], can drive the ball to left and center[Monster] and has few weaknesses. Why wouldn't they be interested? Why isn't he their kind of player? They love athletic CF's. Spent a lot of money and high picks on that in the recent past.

About a week ago I read somewhere that the Red Sox are famous for misdirection with their top picks. How they don't even talk to many of the guys they draft. Yet somehow these "experts" know who the Red Sox like and don't like? Not buying it.

As for me, the one guy I don't want or like is Kohl Stewart. Too many things I don't like.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's a link to an article for the list of 10 players to watch for the July 2nd International draft from Baseball America.Included is a prospect that the Sox are said to be targeting.He's a 3rd baseman named Rafael Devers.There's a short blurb about him and others with a video to watch if of him you want to.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/ten-international-prospects-to-watch-for-july-2/

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to stapleton's comment:

I'd bet you'd be amazed at how many of the top 10 in each year's baseball draft ended up not doing much in the major leagues, if they ever got there at all.  There's a reason that the MLB draft is a lot less interesting than the NFL and NBA drafts.

I'm more amazed at how many late round picks become stars.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

The majority of the mock drafts I have seen recently have the Sox taking either Frazier or Moran with the 7th pick.  I'd be happy with either.  I do hope they go for the bat in this spot and roll the dice with arms in the middle rounds.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'd bet you'd be amazed at how many of the top 10 in each year's baseball draft ended up not doing much in the major leagues, if they ever got there at all.  There's a reason that the MLB draft is a lot less interesting than the NFL and NBA drafts.

A lot of that has to do with a lot of high schoolers going intot the draft, and under the old CBA a lot of that talent slipped out of the first round because there were no bonus limits.  I think we will start to see more talent percolate at the top.  And if you look at the top ten over the last 10-12 years....it's a pretty impressive list.  Look at the 7th pick in recent years.  Every player except maybe 1 is at least an above average MLB player or a top prospect right now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Jim Callis of Baseball America is probably as good an evaluator of the draft as their is with a pick rate last year which was I think the best I saw anyway. He keeps saying Frazier or Stewart. Keith Law recently picked Stanek. I like this kid Philip Ervin a lot but it's a highly unlikely pick for Boston. I don't get the lack of respect expressed for Stewart above. Probably the best HS pitcher in the draft. Great athlete with solid tools. Callis even said he was close to mlb ready for a high school guy. Type 1 diabetes is his only drawback but he has been a top football recruit also so it hasn't appeared to hurt him much yet. 

It may be our best shot at getting a #1 starter out of this draft. I also like Shipley. We only get the #7 or above once every few years. I lean towards rollling the dice on a top pitching prospect still but if they do pick Frazier I won't complain. He is raw though. If the world were all about hitting a fastball he would be our guy but can he adjust to breaking pitches and such? So far he has creamed fastballs so much he hasn't even needed to think about breaking pitches. He looks to have solid intangibles as well as the best bat speed in the high school ranks. Putting up insane numbers at Brandon Moss's old school. Like double the HR if I remember correctly. 

There are 3 clear studs from this group though. Grey, Appel and Bryant. That's probably the 1.2,3 right there unless some prospect cuts an underslot deal. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I would be very happy with Stewart or Frazier, and if both are off the board then it's likely that someone else felus to us!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I wish we had a chance at Bryant...I know he'll be gone, but hes been my choice. We need a legit bat in the sysyem. Im with Boom and wonder if Fraizer willbe able to adjust to MLB pitching. Its an unknown. Theres no such thing as a sure thing in prospects, but as far as a hitter, Id be much more comfortable with a guy like Bryant's bat with the #7 pick. If not, Id just rather get another arm.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I like Colin Moran as well.  This is a rare spot to pick in, I'd take ceiling over everything so my first picks are Stewart and Frazier.  This is all assuming Appel and Grey don't fall, they will probably go 2 1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Someone is going to fall to the Sox.

Agree 100%! Every year someone drops due to signablity concerns. My hope is its Appel [agent Boras] even though I think its unlikely. But also their will be a surprise pick in front of RS that will push a Bryant or Moran down to RS. I just hope they get a player that was every bit as good as Trot, the last time they picked this high. Don't care what position [would love it to be a pitcher] but as long as they get someone who makes an impact I will be happy!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'd take Appel, and offer him slot (or not much above) if he turns that down we get the #8 pick next year.  I don't think he falls, but if he isn't taken with the first 2 picks he could.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i almost fell asleep....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I think we will be seeing this video a number of times in the next few days:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1649340-mlb-draft-2013-25-most-impressive-prospect-highlight-videos-on-youtube/page/26

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I don't get the lack of respect expressed for Stewart above. Probably the best HS pitcher in the draft. Great athlete with solid tools. Callis even said he was close to mlb ready for a high school guy. Type 1 diabetes is his only drawback but he has been a top football recruit also so it hasn't appeared to hurt him much yet. 

Saw a 5 minute video of Stewart just the other day. Command wasn't great.  Also didn't like his effort in his delivery. Too much effort scares me. He is going only short stints after missing the start of the season with injury. This brings health and durability into question. Also, when you go limited innings it allows you to play up your stuff. And I think there were at least 3 starters from last years high school class with better stuff. The latest stats I saw from him had just 28 K's in 24 innings. Not that impressive. Not huge on high school pitchers either. High school pitchers and catchers have to be dominant. Might be a tough sign[QB]. Kind of old for a high school guy. And his stuff is excellent, but not great. Diabetic. Thats ELEVEN problems. Too many questions for the 7th pick for me. I prefer Meadows and McGuire for example.