The Final Countdown: Game thread Wed. night, Lester vs Simon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: The Final Countdown: Game thread Wed. night, Lester vs Simon

oooooops...

NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

:)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mumbles. Show mumbles's posts

Pitching, Pitching, Pitching..said it before the season began..saying it now. Bad decisions in the front office and injuries brought this down. But you Skankee fans out there....REALLY?? Your New Yawk Skankees have given considerable momentum and hope to the Rays!!! If they make it past Texas...your Skankees are in beeg trouble....heh, heh, heh.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckDent. Show BuckDent's posts

Sweet. Very sweet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpniles. Show mpniles's posts

Based on the recent performance, does anyone actually believe the Red Sox were going to get very far in the post season anyway?  This was just an early arrival to the inevitable destination of the 2011 season.   There was no world series championship coming this year, so it is better it is just over earlier rather than being strung along any further.  I am not sure why the Yankees didn't take their game more seriously.  I am sure they would have preferred to have the Rays out of the playoffs.  Although the Red Sox would not be able to beat them in the post season, the Rays have momentum now and just might if they meet up in the ALCS. Yankees may be looking back to game 162 and second guessing.  We will see...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomisme. Show tomisme's posts

An apropos ending to the Sox' season. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

Papi's ill-considered slide into second trying to stretch a single.  Crawford not running full tilt on a ball to deep short; what were they thinking?? In a close game with such importance?  Unbelievable.  They didn't get the extra runs that they absolutely needed the secure the win, and...

Just can't believe the Rays rallied....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4412333. Show user_4412333's posts

In Response to Re: The Final Countdown: Game thread Wed. night, Lester vs Simon:
    [QUOTE]Sweet. Very sweet.
    Posted by BuckDent[/QUOTE]

Too bad you will drift off into obscurity now.

No one will remember you or Billy Buckner after this September.

Strange coincidence on the three biggest collapses in RS history:

Bucky Dent
    Bill Buckner
    Buck Showalter

Can they hire Buck Martinez to replace Francona???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from t3n. Show t3n's posts

It was a fitting "bookend" to a horrible start...BBall pundits/gurus seem to always imply early season games are not "as meaningful" as the Sep ones...ask any Sox player today if they concur...Franconia needs to take the first bow for this year's performance...that is to say bow out of Beantown!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckyzach. Show luckyzach's posts

The sox may have blown it but the fact still remains that in the past we would just blame the curse and it would be another year without a world series. Even before the first series win in 04 management paid out the second largest payroll in the MLB after the Yankees and that dynamic has not changed. While we as fans can sit there and quote stats and money and express anger towards the team, the fact remains that it is another year back in the rut we had prior to 04 with the only difference being that the supposed curse no longer exists as a scapegoat cause. Historic slide or not, I'm still a fan of the team, still a fan of the sport, and, while dissappointed in how the season ended for the sox, will still support the franchise moving forward because it is in the spirit of the pastime.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmaz911. Show bmaz911's posts

Not terribly shocked by this all.  We lost Dice-K, we lost Buck and were relying on the old, the bad and the young to fill out our staff!  I guess the Yankees learned nothing from the Bears last year about letting the hot team make the playoffs, GB?  Routing for Detroit and Texas at this point.  And if any city needs something good to happen right now it is Detroit!  Go Tigers!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chomp. Show Chomp's posts

I am still is shock....but this is not as painful as '75, '78, '86, or '03.  If the Sox got into the playoffs, they would've been out in 3 games.  They were in tatters.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from titotc. Show titotc's posts

The Sox basically continued their anemic play so this was no surprise.
    The real losers are the businesses that benefit when there are games in the city.  I sounds like it is going to be a lean year thanks to the Sox's exit and the NBA strike. 

I hope the Yankees lose in the divisional series.  Go Detroit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmonmcd. Show dmonmcd's posts

Pink Slips, Pink Slips, with the country the way it is, where good workers are being laid off left and right, this team with it's inflated payroll(amongst other things), failed in too many areas for me to list this season! It makes no sense to keep things just the way they are because it has been a billion dollar failure! If I thought for a second this was just a fluke I would not be angry with the way the team was run but there is no excuse for this!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

GAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

C-H-O-K-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name of the team will be officially changed to the DRED SOX!!!!!!

Well, since John Henry's new Brookline mansion is near completion, you know HE"S not going anywhere soon....so, so long Tito, and (hopefully) so long Theo.....Tito will get axed, and he shouldn't, and Theo will probably stay, and HE shouldn't...what a nightmare...the defining choke of all time in all sports...instead of people saying "they choked like Mama Cass on a chicken sandwich", they'll now say "they choked like the 2011 DRED SOX!!!".

LMAO, ROFL!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_52526. Show user_52526's posts

Not really surprised except by the way it ended, Tampa coming from way back in last night's game and the standings. Bad free agency signings that did not fit or perform in Lackey and Crawford etc., and a complete failure of the pitching staff over the past month. Pitching, pitching, pitching. Why do we have Drew, Lackey and Crawford instead of Lee or Haliday? It always will come down to quality pitching (and over a quantity of number 3 & 4 starters). Pitching, pitching, pitching. Crawford and Lackey were over-rated, over-paid, and here because we could afford it, not because they made any real sense. Keep the Coach, not his fault, fire the GM, sad to say.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dope1. Show dope1's posts

"So Good, So Good, SO Good"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from trottier. Show trottier's posts

I guess when you are out of shape, uninterested and outright lazy, you cant win critical ballgames. I think the red sox simply played the last month, in the fashion they played in important  all year. Bad pitching (beyond bad), lack of clutch hitting (realy bad the last month), and  a bullpen, that was just binding its time for truly important  critical games to implode, and collaspe.. Remember
    our 3,4,5 hitters who stunk in the last 2 weeks. All in all, a historic collaspe, but  it wasnt lackey, wakefields, or crawfords fault.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

Sad, sad team. How poetic that the Rays came back from a 7-0 hole, only to win and we lose after being ahead with 2 outs in the 9th.

No heart. Theo really needs to have someone else handle free-agent signings.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghamann. Show ghamann's posts

Still something to celebrate!!!!!

Let's focus on the positive.  The JD Drew era is over!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

In Response to Re: The Final Countdown: Game thread Wed. night, Lester vs Simon:
    [QUOTE]It was a fitting "bookend" to a horrible start...BBall pundits/gurus seem to always imply early season games are not "as meaningful" as the Sep ones...ask any Sox player today if they concur...Franconia needs to take the first bow for this year's performance...that is to say bow out of Beantown!
    Posted by t3n[/QUOTE]
    My posts in April as if up until June the games only counted as half! it just blows my mind that grown men making millions playing a game have to be begged to earn their salary.  Where else but in sports does this happen?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThunderCat2010. Show ThunderCat2010's posts

I'm sooooo happy that the Red Sox lost!!!!  We HATE the Red Sox! We HATE the Red Sox! We Hate the Red Sox. The Red Sox is EVIL!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

the is team had no fire they played sloppy  there no urgency here if anyone should be hled accountable fo rtis it should be theo  bad free agent signings have killed us thankfuly one mistake is gone but it look slike were stuck with 2 more

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from exmilloyfan. Show exmilloyfan's posts

Not shocked, not dismayed, not angry, not standing on the ledge...

I'm ready for some football...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Susie78punkwave. Show Susie78punkwave's posts

I'm happy, because every year, I hope that crazed, rabid, identity-lacking Boston fans will develop other interests and find more productive ways to spend all that time, energy and money. Mentor an urban youth. Help clean up parks. Stop spectating and eating carcinogenic hot dogs and sausages and clean up their own acts. Read the REST of the newspaper. 
    I hope, every year, that teachers, nurses and first responders might get paid some of those millions instead of primadonna players and managers who jump ship in a minute for more dough to rival teams. They don't care - why do fans so much?
    As LeBron James recently said, it is only entertainment and a DISTRACTION FROM THE REAL WORLD and certainly not worth all the emotional investment. 

So why do Boston fans base their lives on a sport? The environment and economy are crumbling around us. China and India will overtake us in education (already do) and technology. Health care and Americans' health is going down in the unsustainable dumps (hot dogs and sausages, anybody?). There are so many pressing, devastating problems that could be addressed -and we can all make a big difference - but instead, Bostonians never grow up, dress head-to-toe in Red Sox uniforms, pay for the license plates, take on a stupid swagger and aggressive tone of voice when talking about some teams that are bought and imported and not even Bostonians. It's pathetic, and so sad.
    Grow up. Take responsibility for your city and your planet. Watch sports for the entertainment value, if you must, but stop identifying with it. You are all better than that.