The Final Countdown: Game thread Wed. night, Lester vs Simon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shmoozini. Show shmoozini's posts

Re: The Final Countdown: Game thread Wed. night, Lester vs Simon

In Response to Re: The Final Countdown: Game thread Wed. night, Lester vs Simon:
    That the Red Sox collapsed in a historic manner certainly goes without saying. Anyone who was surprised by last night hasn't been watching over the last 28 days. I was struck by one thing in particular last night though. I read Dan Shaughnessy's article this morning waiting for his huge mea culpa that he screwed up on NESN last night and it wasn't there. This morning he called for the release or non-signing of multiple players, the manager, and the general manager as well as "Miss Heidi". This struck me as quite hypocritical given the exchange between the two of them during the rain delay last night. They were both following the Yanks/Rays game while providing analysis of the Red Sox/ O's to that point. This was during the 8th inning comeback by the Rays. Heidi was experssing fear that the Rays would come back and Dan was saying multiple times "Trust me, they aren't going to win". He seemed to be taking pleasure in putting Heidi in her place and showing that he knew more than she did. I wonder if the Globe shouldn't be handing out pink slips as well for huge blunders...
    Posted by 4ca99343a5c87986c8417dc468269451

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from letarte. Show letarte's posts

...as a lifelong Red Sox and baseball fan, I think we should all step back and take a look at what REALLY happened...eventually the cream rises.  Every team in the playoffs now DESERVES to be there.  Welcome to life!!!  As intelligent, competent, caring individuals Francona, Theo and the rest of the BOSOX will learn from this.  Pain can force good people to reassess and learn from their experiences.  Let's hope they do and they make the right personnel moves to excel.

Let's look forward to next year and enjoy the playoffs without the pain of watching the Red Sox slowly wither on the vine...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shmoozini. Show shmoozini's posts

Shag is the quintessential sports columnist who mouths off day after day, feeling no reluctance to contradict himself--even within the same week--figuring that readers have short memories.  They do.  Like a meteorologist, he has no need to do mea culpas.  More often than not, he uses his column as a blunt weapon to hammer people.

A fraud, to be sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrCr. Show FrCr's posts

It started in Spring Training

I have attended Red Sox Spring Training every year for the past 46 years. This past year I have never seen so many players out of shape and just not interested in spring training. Look at the players who broke down and begged out of games. Ridiculous. The players were more interested in making tv commercials and looking for endorsements than playing spring ball. It was a bad attitude which extended over the whole season, sure they were great for 3 months, but when attitude and conditioning was needed, they failed. I dont see how a manager and ownership can allow such a lacksadaisacal spring camp.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sparklemahn. Show Sparklemahn's posts

You know you choked when you blame God for losing!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldMilwaukeeLite. Show OldMilwaukeeLite's posts

In Response to Re: The Final Countdown: Game thread Wed. night, Lester vs Simon:
    Not terribly shocked by this all.  We lost Dice-K, we lost Buck and were relying on the old, the bad and the young to fill out our staff!  I guess the Yankees learned nothing from the Bears last year about letting the hot team make the playoffs, GB?  Routing for Detroit and Texas at this point.  And if any city needs something good to happen right now it is Detroit!  Go Tigers!
    Posted by bmaz911

This is the type of "fan" that I hope is purged from this collapse.  "We", what number are you on the team.  Dice-K and "Buck" - is that what you call him in the clubhouse?  This $160 team did not make the playoffs because "We lost Dice-K, we lost Buck"?  How about this team has no sack?  It's overfed, overpaid and entitled.  What about "Youk"?  That dirt dog.  Missing 50 games a year because he's 50 pounds overweight.  Did you sing "Sweet Caroline" at home last night in your living room?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwaySouth. Show FenwaySouth's posts

To all the bandwagon fans who've been following the Red Sox since 2004, this is what it was like to grow up watching this team. Somehow they'd find a way to get to the very edge of success, then rip your heart out.  Welcome to Red Sox Nation........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrCr. Show FrCr's posts

I do think there is a case to be made for Crawford "throwing" the game. f you watch closely he makes a half hearted attempt at catching a ball directly in front of him, and then when he muffs it, he just lobs the ball with a high arch to home which allowed the winning run to score. This man is a gold glover. I've watched it several times and he looks like he is muffing the catch intentionally. Everyone knows he is not happy with Boston, this may be his payback.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThunderCat2010. Show ThunderCat2010's posts

I love Boston Teams but not the Red Sox.... My family and I hate the Red Sox so much because the Red Sox wanted the money!!! The Red Sox is EVIL!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThunderCat2010. Show ThunderCat2010's posts

My family and I hate the Red Sox so much because the Red Sox is EVIL! They wants the money more than the playoff. My heart knew that the Red Sox always "CHEATS".  Remembered 2004?!, The Red Sox won the champions because 6 red sox players "USED" STERIODS! 2004 was VERY BAD BAD BAD! That is why, I hate the Red Sox. WE ALREADY KNEW THAT THE RED SOX LOVED STERIODS!!! CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThunderCat2010. Show ThunderCat2010's posts

Wait a minutes.... Remembered that "6 out of 9 Red Sox players used STERIODS"! The Red Sox won the champions because the Red Sox wanted to "CHEAT"... Cry baby!  My family, some Boston Fans and I hate the RED SOX!!!!! Bad bad bad Red SOX!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pastelpaul. Show pastelpaul's posts

THere were plenty of goats to go round but there just seemed a lack of creativity in the game plan. Very predictable. Like Papelbon. You can't throw twenty 96 mph fastballs in a row to the same side of the plate. He thinks his fastball is unhittable. and that is obviously wrong. If you know its' coming you react and get it timed. He's too dang slow between pitches which I think focuses the hitter even more. Look at  Halladay, Lee, Verlander, Fister. These guys work fast to make the hitters less comfortable. He wants strikeouts instead of just letting the defense get the guys out. THen there was Papi, hitting the ball two feet in front of the plate with no outs and runners on first and third. He is always trying to kill the ball when simple contact would have been much better. Why not do something unusual there like a squeeze bunt or double steal in that situation. I can guarantee if Papi had bunted there would be no play. Element of surprise. Not predictable. In the end the team played tight nervous baseball and missed many opportunities. Orioles played aggressive baseball and beat them. I think Maddon is a great manager and gets players who play good ball over guys with big reputations. I think Crawford will rebound, but he's not even worth half of his contract. Sox will be good again next season with a healthy Buchholz and Dice K but the team needs some new blood and to let some old vets go.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedRuffing. Show RedRuffing's posts

The greatest collapse in the history of the game now belongs to the 2011 Boston Red Sox.

I'm just happy that the Yankees could some how be apart of this.

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from atsirk. Show atsirk's posts

Heres the deal... Parade magazine said that the AVERAGE US Salary is $37K.  So when an average soul makes an honest mistake... no big deal

When you have a class of overstuffed, overpaid atheletes who make the US average yearly salary in a single day then it becomes a big deal.

Salaries and ticket prices sky high so Beckett can make another million? 

These guys placed themselves in the Ferrari category, so Ferrari performance is demanded.  Instead we have another Edsel.

Remember the old adage... be careful what you ask for... you may get it!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxbo. Show soxbo's posts

this is the biggest collapse since the 2004 yankees.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxbo. Show soxbo's posts

did you read this?
    this guy does not belong in Boston.

On Tuesday, when I asked him about the collapse of the team, Gonzalez blamed the schedule, not the Almighty.

"We play too many night games on getaway days and get into places at 4 in the morning," Gonzalez said. "This has been my toughest season physically because of that. We play a lot of night games on Sunday for television and that those things take a lot out of you."

I told Gonzalez that teams like the Red Sox and Yankees have long had those challenges, it's part of playing for a high-profile team.

"Why does it have to be?" he said. "They can put the Padres on ESPN, too. The schedule really hurt us. Nobody is really reporting that."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxbo. Show soxbo's posts

The greatest collapse in the history of the game now belongs to the 2011 Boston Red Sox. I'm just happy that the Yankees could some how be apart of this.
    Posted by RedRuffing

that distinction belongs to the 2004 yankees . .  i am still laughing about that one.
    yankees = chokees.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mastermou. Show Mastermou's posts

Our pitching fell apart this year and we had injuries of key players. Why do we think that we have to be in it every year? It should be a learning experience and if they fire Francona over this, then I will lose all respect for management. It's always a crap-shoot anyway. Do you think anyone else could tell Lackey would be a bust and Crawford for be so underwhelming? It's just another year over and done.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigLou. Show BigLou's posts

Welcome To Red Sox Nation

To all the younger Red Sox fans who don't remember '67, '75, '78 or '86:

Congrats! You now have your Red Sox Ulcer and are now OFFICIALLY part of Red Sox Nation.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ahlefhjk. Show ahlefhjk's posts

(1)  John Lackey, Carl Crawford and JD Drew all should be ashamed of themselves.  They are a disgrace to the game of baseball.

(2)  Tito should not have given games away trying to get Wakefield his 200th win.  Who (besides Wakefield) really cared?   What does it mean now?

(3)  Where is the leadership on this team?  Where was the Captain to right the ship?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsS. Show MrsS's posts

Francona/Epstein press conference at 4 today

He wouldn't actually fire Tito today, would he? He has 10 days. Maybe Tito is going to quit, I wouldn't blame him.

I think they always do that press conference at the end of a season, but so fast?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxbo. Show soxbo's posts

[QUOTE]I do think there is a case to be made for Crawford "throwing" the game. f you watch closely he makes a half hearted attempt at catching a ball directly in front of him, and then when he muffs it, he just lobs the ball with a high arch to home which allowed the winning run to score. This man is a gold glover. I've watched it several times and he looks like he is muffing the catch intentionally. Everyone knows he is not happy with Boston, this may be his payback.
    Posted by FrCr[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxbo. Show soxbo's posts

[QUOTE]I do think there is a case to be made for Crawford "throwing" the game. f you watch closely he makes a half hearted attempt at catching a ball directly in front of him, and then when he muffs it, he just lobs the ball with a high arch to home which allowed the winning run to score. This man is a gold glover. I've watched it several times and he looks like he is muffing the catch intentionally. Everyone knows he is not happy with Boston, this may be his payback.
    Posted by FrCr[/QUOTE]

absolutely right.  the throw was the most bizarre aspect . .  he LOBBED it.  there was no effort.  he slowed himself down.  he could have had him.  no doubt a strong, acurate throw nails him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from evilempire26. Show evilempire26's posts

That's right SpiketheDog, the Yankees engineered your pathetic team's downfall again.  I"m sure you;ll respond with 04 blah blah blah.  Since it's all you new generation fans know because that's what you started liking the Red Sox.  The Yankees humiliating the Red Sox is like the Sun Rising in the morning.  It's going to happen eventually. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nesportsfan6013. Show nesportsfan6013's posts

Oy! Everyone from the front office, the management and of course the players are at fault for this collapse! I think we all need to just stop watching anything to do with the Sox for awhile, because, it will be just too painful to deal with it for many. I for one, will not watch any of the teams still in the playoffs, because I cannot stand them at all! I hate the Yankees, first off! I hate the Rays, really, their fans cheer them on with cowbells? I can't stand that noise! It is more than annoying! Oh yeah, you think the Yankees, didn't just roll over and let the Rays win? They were just toying with them, letting them think they can beat them in the playoffs! It's not going to happen, don't even think it will! You will be sadly disappointed! Don't get me wrong, I know the Sox blew this big time! There is no doubt about it! Epic failure! Very Sad! Let it go people, we always have the Pats & the Bruins to cheer on right now!