the Hammer has become the Nail...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: the Hammer has become the Nail...

In response to LagunaJose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Yankees ignore the 50 percent penalty and keep spending regardless of it then  MLB will have to increase the penalty. The thinking behind the penalty was to discourage owners with endless pockets to stop ruining baseball. Something to consider that is better than a penalty is to just have a regulation that tells them  that they can't increase their payroll at all for any reason.

[/QUOTE]

That's what I was saying in another thread. Money as a penalty for the Yankees is a joke. MLB even knows that. Why do they keep allowing them to spend whatever they want?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I beg your pardon slasher! I have done no such thing............. ;-)

[/QUOTE]

LOL Hammah! No one would believe that. :)

[/QUOTE]
    Ha! yeah Kim I know. I got a good chuckle at the thread title myself........are you local to boston Kim? the reason I ask is my commute last night was almost 3 hours......damn snow.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry about the snow but 75 in Florida

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

double post sorry

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

If the Yankees ignore the 50 percent penalty and keep spending regardless of it then  MLB will have to increase the penalty. The thinking behind the penalty was to discourage owners with endless pockets to stop ruining baseball. Something to consider that is better than a penalty is to just have a regulation that tells them  that they can't increase their payroll at all for any reason.

[/QUOTE]

Like that idea.....Let them put every  team together with a fixed amount.... Now ! if your owner is filthy rich ,why care if your over and have a penalty... Let level the playing field and if agents and players don't like it...... Let them get a real job and see what the real world is like...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A fine idea, except that unless it was a part of the CBA it would be collusion on the part of the owners and we wouldn't live long enough to see the Player's Assn. agree to it.

IMHO the concept of a Luxury Tax was good except that it didn't take into account how much money is floating around out there in MLB.  In reality the Luxury Tax has played into the hands of the uber-rich teams, two of which come to mind immediately.  These teams are able to spend and spend without regard to the Luxury Tax while the simply rich teams have to be cognizant of the tax and make an honest effort to stay under it or close enough to it that they can reset after a year or two.

And then there are the "regular" teams who find it beyond difficult to compete for a WS Title.  Saying what you want about the Rays and the A's - who put a fine product on the field - until I see some WS trophies being handed out to them I'm going to say that it's better to be rich and uber-rich than regular.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's what I was saying in another thread. Money as a penalty for the Yankees is a joke. MLB even knows that. Why do they keep allowing them to spend whatever they want?

[/QUOTE]

If the Yankees really could spend whatever they want, why on earth would they let their best player go to Seattle?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It kind of feels like the Yankees are throwing darts at a dartboard with some of these signings they're making.

[/QUOTE]

I can't figure it out either.  I know they had injuries, but their top-5 WARs were Cano, Gardner, Soriano, Grandy, and Ichiro.  So they lost their #1, and then add 2 more outfielders to the three remaining OFers.  And they can start a team, using a couple of subs, that averages 36+ year's old.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the Yankees really could spend whatever they want, why on earth would they let their best player go to Seattle?

[/QUOTE]

They may be able to spend what they want and let their best playr go as well. Just because you  can spend dos not mean the person to whom you offer the money will take it. We saw this with Damon, Pedro and many others in all sports. Sometimes t just is the team that offered the most first.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Make no mistake about it, Cano stopped talking to the Yankees. They were looking for a second basemen because they knew there was NO negotiation going to happen. There were rumors he was unhappy with Girardi, and I have said I believe something may have happened in their initial meeting. He left and he never looked back, and they knew it.

He was also in contact with Felix, who, obviously, wanted him there (maybe they're friends). He said he was insulted by the Yankees, and that the Mariners had treated him like family, which Felix had told him they would.

Incredibly or not, he was not on the table for the Yankees to even top any offer, which they probably WOULD HAVE DONE. No question. Their best player was already gone, and not coming back.

It probably doesn't help the Yankees that he was jumping off a sinking ship. Not the reason, but I'm sure it didn't help.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHA.

Now, when Rodriguez misses time, Johnson or Nunez will likely fill in at third. Jeter will return for one more year at shortstop, and aside from turning 40, missing almost all of last season with an ankle injury, and playing poor defense for the last decade, this should go great. (On days when Johnson plays second base, he and Jeter will form one of the worst defensive middle infields you'll ever see on a putative contender.) The Yankees have signed Brendan Ryan as Jeter's caddie; Ryan is an absolute defensive whiz … and has hit .196/.268/.275 over the last two years. Teixeira should return to man first base, but he'll turn 34 in April and was in decline for three consecutive years before he missed almost all of last season. Soriano was excellent as the DH after coming over from the Cubs in 2013, but he'll be 38 during the 2014 season and was so bad in Chicago that the Cubs paid three-quarters of his salary just to get the Yankees to take him off their hands.

[/QUOTE]

Boone Logan is gone from the pen ... weakening that as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHA.

Now, when Rodriguez misses time, Johnson or Nunez will likely fill in at third. Jeter will return for one more year at shortstop, and aside from turning 40, missing almost all of last season with an ankle injury, and playing poor defense for the last decade, this should go great. (On days when Johnson plays second base, he and Jeter will form one of the worst defensive middle infields you'll ever see on a putative contender.) The Yankees have signed Brendan Ryan as Jeter's caddie; Ryan is an absolute defensive whiz … and has hit .196/.268/.275 over the last two years. Teixeira should return to man first base, but he'll turn 34 in April and was in decline for three consecutive years before he missed almost all of last season. Soriano was excellent as the DH after coming over from the Cubs in 2013, but he'll be 38 during the 2014 season and was so bad in Chicago that the Cubs paid three-quarters of his salary just to get the Yankees to take him off their hands.

[/QUOTE]

Boone Logan is gone from the pen ... weakening that as well.

[/QUOTE] Yaz-o...Happy Holidays my friend..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It kind of feels like the Yankees are throwing darts at a dartboard with some of these signings they're making.

[/QUOTE]

I can't figure it out either.  I know they had injuries, but their top-5 WARs were Cano, Gardner, Soriano, Grandy, and Ichiro.  So they lost their #1, and then add 2 more outfielders to the three remaining OFers.  And they can start a team, using a couple of subs, that averages 36+ year's old.

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees lineup heading into next year will be much improved over the one they ran out for most of last year. The reality is that although they lost Cano and Granderson...they added McCann, Beltran and Ellsbury...when you add a healthy Texiera back into the mix along with Soriano. Thier lineup will be stout. McCann is the biggest upgrade...if they keep Gardner thier OF with he, Ells & Beltran will be among the best in the game with Soriano in the mix and likely getiing the bulk of the DH at bats....Ichiro and or Wells give them depth one or the other likely get moved. If Jeter returns to 80% of his norm the only elephant in the roon left is the status of Arod...

End of the day thier lineup will produce...if they are to be considered a playoff/championship contender clearly they need Sabathia to return to form with solid season from Nava and Kuroda they have 3/5 th of a solid rotation and need to add a couple of starters and a bullpen arm or two. 

Imho the yanks still have time to address thier needs so it's premature to conclude that they're already out of the mix...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I

[/QUOTE] Yaz-o...Happy Holidays my friend..

[/QUOTE]

And the same to you, my friend!  Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

the Yankees will be a sub .500 team next year.  book it.