The Luxury Tax

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

Re: The Luxury Tax

@Moonslav -- very informative post, thank you. A couple of questions:

(1) When you say "second-time offenders" and "third-time offenders," you mean "second consecutive offense" and "third consecutive offense," right? That's why the rate can be "reset" if a team goes under the limit for a year.

(2) Is the percentage penalty on the total payroll for that year, or only on the portion of the payroll that exceeds the threshold? For example, if a team has a $200mm payroll in 2014, are they paying a 22.5% penalty on $200mm, or just on $21mm?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

(1) When you say "second-time offenders" and "third-time offenders," you mean "second consecutive offense" and "third consecutive offense," right? That's why the rate can be "reset" if a team goes under the limit for a year.

(2) Is the percentage penalty on the total payroll for that year, or only on the portion of the payroll that exceeds the threshold? For example, if a team has a $200mm payroll in 2014, are they paying a 22.5% penalty on $200mm, or just on $21mm?

[/QUOTE]

(1)  I think that's correct

(2)  I believe it's only on the difference, ie the 21 in your example

you can google this - you can find a good table I am sure......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

(1)  I think that's correct

(2)  I believe it's only on the difference, ie the 21 in your example

you can google this - you can find a good table I am sure......

[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I agree AM.  Those were my interpretations too.  I also noticed that due to the timing of the writing of the orginal article the information regarding 2012 and later wasn't included.  My best guess is that the limits, etc. for 2012 and going forward were negotiated in a newer CBA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

it's 189 for the next 3 years and the yankees are in the 40 to 45% bracket

i believe they paid $30 million just in LT

$30 MILLION - that is more than the Astros and I think the Marlins total payroll

but no, they don't buy championships lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

At the risk of this sounding sexist (because it is!) Googling the author of the article the link goes to, Kristi Dosh, provides some pretty good eye candy too.  :-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

how is that sexiest?  she's nice!