The Mood of Red Sox Fans: Feared the Rays but Confident vs. the Tigers

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: The Mood of Red Sox Fans: Feared the Rays but Confident vs. the Tigers

Does it actually matter?  None of us will be setting foot on the field.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Big mistake.

[/QUOTE]

MAYBE IT IS YOU JUST BEING FEAR AGAINST EVERYONE INCLUDING ELLSBURY

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In other words people you need to prepare yourselves for a Red Sox loss.

I mean it's not 100% Guranteed.  One team wins another one losses, just so you know.

I know some of you may have been wondering that, that if one team wins does the other lose?

But Captain Obvious has cleared that up for all of us. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

I have no fear that Manager John will do his job well, now that Longoria is out becuase of his AA lineup around him. 

[/QUOTE]

I guess in your world the only way to dig yourself out of a hole is to keep on digging huh?

SO according to soft logic a team that scores more than 2/3 of the other teams in baseball is now officially a Double A team.  They are not even a AAA team now, they have offically been demoted to a AA team. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

It matters if it affects and reflects the mood in the clubhouse. And I think it does. Players worked hard to respect the Rays, because Red Sox fan mood was a fearful mood based on some nonsense about Price and Moore playing a bigger role than the other side of the ball. Which is never the case in the AL playoffs. See both ALDS results.

[/QUOTE]

Crazy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

It matters if it affects and reflects the mood in the clubhouse. And I think it does. Players worked hard to respect the Rays, because Red Sox fan mood was a fearful mood based on some nonsense about Price and Moore playing a bigger role than the other side of the ball. Which is never the case in the AL playoffs. See both ALDS results.

[/QUOTE]

Right.  Because we all know the Sox players come to this board to get their confidencr and the Tigers come here for bulletin board material. 

Choose your words wisely,  people.   Softy has warned us...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Crazy.  Seriously.  That you think this.

But lets go a step further.  The Rays were "scary" because they are fierce division rival and it was the ALDS.  Losing in the ALDS is always a big letdown.  So it was scary that they could take us out at that level.

ALCS is different.  Scary is just a given.  This is the best of the best.  The hottest of the hot.  First off, the Red Sox clubhouse is not feeling any letup, believe it or not, even if some folks on the BDC chat room are not expressing as much "fear" as last week.  Second, no one thinks the Tigs are anything but formidable competition.  If there are any bravado statements, they come from this strange phenomenon called rooting for your favorite team.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

This Board reflects the general mood of the Red Sox fans and the media. You bet that affects the clubhouse mood, I just hope not too much.

[/QUOTE]

If this board really affected the clubhouse mood during the year, the team would have been full of whiners and crazy people. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

SO according to soft logic a team that scores more than 2/3 of the other teams in baseball is now officially a Double A team. 

Rays were 9th of the 15 AL teams in season total runs, not that I'm a big stock buyer in the stat "season total runs".

You need to check your eyes and/or your math. The Rays were impotent, offensively, which is why they and their good but not great pitching were vanquished as pretenders.

Note: Tigers have better pitching than the Rays

[/QUOTE]

and they were 11th in all of the majors

7th in Doubles

11th in HR's

10th in RBI's

4th in OBP

7th in OPS

11th in Runs

this is in all of Major League Baseball.  I understand that doesn't scream major offensive threat, but you can't argue against the fact that they were an above average offensive ball club, with Elite pitching.

You however, insist on calling them a double A team.  You don't understand how truly bad a AA team is in comparison to a MLB club do you?  you know.....don't even answer that, I think we all know the answer. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Note: no one is saying that the Rays are better than the TIgers,

We know they are a better offensive team. And while I actually agree with you that the Tigers do have better pitching than the Rays, it's pretty close and up for debate

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

but you can't argue against the fact that they were an above average offensive ball club, with Elite pitching.

The Rays were not an above average offensive ballclub, They were as below average as thier AL East toal runs scored reflects, for those who value that number. They did not have "elite pitching", but Kansas City did. Detroit and Oakland and Texas all had better pitching than the Rays.

[/QUOTE]

ok so they ranked 12th or higher in EVERY offensive category out of all 30 teams.

That puts them in the top 1/3

That's above average.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

look up the word average.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

but you can't argue against the fact that they were an above average offensive ball club, with Elite pitching.

The Rays were not an above average offensive ballclub, They were as below average as thier AL East toal runs scored reflects, for those who value that number. They did not have "elite pitching", but Kansas City did. Detroit and Oakland and Texas all had better pitching than the Rays.

[/QUOTE]

Gee. Was it that long ago you insisted a team' offense should NOT be measrured by aggregate run totals?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The Rays had two good lefties, Moore and Price, who had pitched well against the Sox, and a pretty good righty in Cobb.  They had momentum, winning Sunday to go to the wild card and then winning on Monday and Wednesday to get into the ALDS, beating first Texas and then Cleveland.  The Sox did not play well in their final series in Baltimore, and they had a five day hiatus before the game one of the ALDS against Moore, with Price going in game two.  And that leaves out the greatest clutch hitting thirdbaseman in the history of MLB, Evan Longoria, who is so good he should never be pitched to.  Forget Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, Yaz, all those guys.  Longoria will beat you every time you throw the ball anywhere near the plate. 

So of course we were worried. Now that's behind us now, and the Sox look pretty good even though their abysmally ignorant manager Farrell forgot rule #1 Tuesday night:  never, ever pitch to Longoria.  Not in the fifth inning, not ever.   Except in the 7th inning with the score tied, a man on second, one out, and first base open.  Then it's OK to pitch to him, especially since he went 3 for 17 in the ALDS. 

The Tigers have me plenty worried, but this time I recognize the Sox are a solid team with home field advantage and the rotation the way Farrell wants it.  Verlander and Scherzer have pitched extremely well and Fister ain't no patsy.  If Cabrera is OK, they have a very good lineup as long as Iglesias is left on the bench as he was last night.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"It matters if it affects and reflects the mood in the clubhouse. And I think it does"

Congrats on a truly ridiculous statement. 

The clubhouse is not influenced by what morons talk about to fill up several hours of talk radio. They are focused on their opponent. 

Players intiutively know that each series gets harder, it's supposed to be that way, it's the playoffs. No problems there. 

Yeah, we could lose to the Tigers. They are a very good team. We're very good also. 

Why you are cowering and kowtowing to the Tigers was bothering me, they seem to put you in a whimpering state. 

Then I realized, you've been watching life of pi on the telly: 

I realize big kitties are scary but you're not stuck on a boat with them, it's gonna be ok dude...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

The ALDS was scarier for a couple reasons. 1) Winning it put a stamp on why the Red Sox are a better team than the Rays and why they really deserved to win the AL East, without question. 2) It was a shorter series. One too many things go wrong ( too long of a rest before it began, a few bad calls from an ump, fluke play, mistakes, etc ) it's more difficult to recover from. 3) I now consider the 2013 Red Sox a success. Everything from here on out is gravy. If they lose now, they ( in most cases ) probably lost to a better team. I can accept that. That being said, I like their chances to win it. All year they've had a successful formula for winning and they've earned this next challenge. Let's see how they do, shall we?

Go Sox!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]

SO according to soft logic a team that scores more than 2/3 of the other teams in baseball is now officially a Double A team. 

Rays were 9th of the 15 AL teams in season total runs, not that I'm a big stock buyer in the stat "season total runs".

You need to check your eyes and/or your math. The Rays were impotent, offensively, which is why they and their good but not great pitching were vanquished as pretenders.

Note: Tigers have better pitching than the Rays

[/QUOTE]

You really need to look at the actual numbers before you post.  That is a highly, highly misleading statement, and isn't accurate against this Sox lineup.  Go look for yourself.  Detroit's bullpen ain't all that great, and for the record, Detroit got to the postseason b/c of its hitting, not its pitching.  Oakland had a better team ERA than Detroit, but a weaker lineup.

You also need to look at the Sox' collective ERA against the remaining teams. 

Sox are going to roll this team in 5, maybe 6.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does it actually matter?  None of us will be setting foot on the field.

[/QUOTE]

Does that only apply to this thread or all the threads on BDC?

[/QUOTE]

However you see it.  I thought it applied in particular to this thread.