The Moon Rises, Ben Says Moeny is Tight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: The Moon Rises, Ben Says Moeny is Tight

Moon, I have to disagree about the Punto signing. 

I didn't say the Punto signing was bad, but rather "questionable". Until I see what we end up spending in total and wh we get for pitchers, and maybe who else we could have gotten with $1-2M more, I will hold off giving my final opinion on Punto. I like Punto a lot, however, my position has been to play Iggy at SS since before we signed Scutaro 2 years ago. I don't care if he hits .200. The runs he saves will make up for it. I realize I am in a distinct minority on that opinion, and I'm Ok with people thinking he should get more experience, but we spent about $8M on this kid, and he's a defensive whizz. End of point. (Let's not argue over it, I've already spent pages defending my position. I'm Ok to just agree to disagree and move on.)

If it lets Iggy stay in AAA getting everyday AB's, then it's worth it.  If they wanted to play Iggy at the MLB level, then they should have declined Scoot's option.  

I agree, and I'll take it one step further. If Ben is going to refuse to give Iggy serious ML playing time until 2013, we might as well trade him now to a team that will start him in 2012. A team that obviously will place a higher value on him than we are now as our 4th string SS (after Scutty, Punto and Aviles). Plus, many have put Bogaerts above Iggy anyways. I think we could get something very nice for Iggy (and maybe another lower prospect or two).

There's no significant difference between what Lowrie would have made and what Punto is making, and Punto will be cheaper than Lowrie for 2013.

I like Punto better than Lowrie. The only value Lowrie had was his offesne vs LHPs, and if we trade Youk, I'd like him to platoon at 3B. That's not happening. As for the need for Punto, unless they see Punto and Aviles as sharing 4th OF'er duty, something has to give (or be traded).

While I prefer to wait and see how the the entire off season plays out, right now I'm not a fan of the Shoppach signing as I would also prefer to have Lava starting ~80 games at catcher while learning the staff and getting occasional AB's at DH should Ortiz revert to his career averages against LHP's.  This would also help Salty stay fresh later in the season.  I'm curious to see if Salty will be involved in a trade before the season starts, in which case the Shoppach signing would make more sense, especially if Salty can help bring in another solid pen arm to replace one of Bard/Aceves (I don't think both will end up in the rotation).

I see Lava like you see Iggy. He needs to play 125+ games not 80. That's one reason why, once we signed Papi, I have said trading Salty for equal or better value in pitching, should be strongly considered... so Lava can play 100 games at catcher and 25+ at DH, 1B, or OF. (Shoppach plays the other 62.)

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Plus, many have put Bogaerts above Iggy anyways. I think we could get something very nice for Iggy (and maybe another lower prospect or two).

From what I've read, it doesn't seem likely that Bogaerts will be able to stick at SS.  I mean, it's great if he can stay there, but he'll likely end up as a LF or 3B.  Also, he's only going into his age 19 season, so I wouldn't deal Iggy with an eye to Bogaerts quite yet.

I see Lava like you see Iggy. He needs to play 125+ games not 80. That's one reason why, once we signed Papi, I have said trading Salty for equal or better value in pitching, should be strongly considered... so Lava can play 100 games at catcher and 25+ at DH, 1B, or OF. (Shoppach plays the other 62.)

Lava has never caught more than 90 games in a season with the Sox.  The main reason for this is that he's been working on catching drills in the minors and the club prefers to not have a young catcher do they drills and then catch a full game on the same day.  I think it would be very beneficial to ease Lava into an everyday role and I don't see our stances being that different.

I wouldn't mind seeing Iggy as the starting shortstop if the Sox could trade Scoot and allocate his money to some pitching help.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Nobody brings up the fact that there's still a loan out to be paid back by the RedSox ownership group, & that the Yankees are already paid for. There seems to be a lot of people on this board that just don't understand finance.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Plus, the Sox put a lot of money into park renovations and sausage and onions.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

that the Yankees are already paid for

true

but the stadium isn't

true

the tax payers are still paying for it now

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No one denounced serious offers to Crawford more than I did. Making comments after signing is meaningless. Hindsight comments are what losers do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Softlaw claims not be be the poster named Law. Law was the master / father of hindsight and admitted it and giggled about it. Softlaw has admitted that he is contrary because it " wakens up a boring forum". He also admits to enjoy being a devil's advocate for the same reasons. In other words , don't trust that anything out of his mouth as being  honest or sincere, it is all about entertainment ( basically to him). At least Burrito loves him, the others are too gullible to know the difference.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Softlaw claims not be be the poster named Law. Law was the master / father of hindsight and admitted it and giggled about it. Softlaw has admitted that he is contrary because it " wakens up a boring forum". He also admits to enjoy being a devil's advocate for the same reasons. In other words , don't trust that anything out of his mouth as being  honest or sincere, it is all about entertainment ( basically to him). At least Burrito loves him, the others are too gullible to know the difference.

..and since Mr. Hanky wasn't here after the CC signing, then all of his comments are after the fact and hence "meaningless" by his own definition.

Of course, he'll twist and turn and say he mad the comments back then. but just not on this board.

He claims "denounced" the signing more than anyone else, but where's the evidence? When I provided quotes from posters the day after the signing, there were several of us "denouncing it".

I took a lot of grief for saying Crawford was a "glorified platoon player", and that the signing would "cripple us for 7 years", and that even if CC had 7 years like 2010, he'd still be "overpaid by about $50M". I don't see how anyone can "denounce" the signing more than that, but Mr. Hanky will now tell some more lies and try to convince others of his brilliance.

Mr, Hanky will say that softy was right all along, but denies he was softlaw 1A, softlaw1000zzz, etc...

Mr. Hanky is softy, and softy thought the deal was so bad, he liked CC enough to say he should be leading off instead of Jacoby, while I was saying he should be on the bench vs LHPs (for DMac) and batting 7th vs RHPs. softy and Mr. Hanky like CC's fielding so much more than I do, that they both have said they want him in RF in 2012.

Silly clown.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No one posts large amounts of drivel and says nothing, quite look our board resident stooge. Crawford is here to stay, despite only one poster who said never to make him a serious offer at all! Now, what to do with him. Obviously, his career averages show he is not a 2011 talent, anymore than Ellsbury is a 2011 talent. Trading Elllsbury for team needs and moving Crawford to a spot where his speed is of some use is obvious to all but the incompetent. It is a function of Crawford's contract and the 16 to 20 million cost for Ellsbury.

Moonslob did not denounce Crawford serious offers. He waited until after the fact and made guarded meaningless comments about "Contract about 33% too much". His most recent comments about what he said after Crawford was signed are as meaningless as the ones he makes about offering Varitek and Wakefield millions and trading Youk.

Of all the posters on this board, the stooge shill posts the longest comments that have zero import. Anyone offering 45 year old Wakefield a million and half and Varitek a million and a half is totally out of touch with reality.

And, I think all on this Board knows that Moonslob loves Wakefield, but pretends to not like him without ever commenting on what he doesn't like about him. Cowards like to deny personal feelings to disguise prejudice. Moonslob is one of those type of people. He will go down on record as following every popular issue in the history of his life. Once the times change, he will deny having supported what was popular at the time. Such is life of the worst generation of decadent drones in American history. The generation that ruined a former leader in per capita productivity.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Talk about meaningless drivel, lies and cover-ups.

Silly clown.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Good morning, fellas and ladies,

The compliment to Moon still stands. 

Burrito, my brother, it is my standing statement/MO not to be overly critical of current Sox members.  I don't have much good to say about our Mr. Lackey, but hope springs eternal that he will return after a season where we won't hear people gagging over his name nor see him act like a child when a badly thrown pitch isn't caught by a teammate.  The reference to how I might have felt about the Rocket is accurate only because I was ignorant of his poor ;ast few seasons here.  I've referenced that before - having lived far from places that cared a mite about Boston and only had line scores in the paper, not even box scores.  I could have purchased the Sporting News to find out more, but my finances were being spent in areas I considered more significant.  I do refrain from critical remarks simply because there are so many others who do that all the time.  I find no reason to follow the mob.  Mob mentality leads to Chicken Little-isms and little appreciation for what one has.  It also seems to forget one of the largest truths about baseball, that is that it is a game of streaks, ups and downs, loss and recovery.  I've mentioned before how people in the press called for Yaz's head when he batted in the .250's .... in between two .300 seasons.  He had several less than stellar seasons, but as a whole, I've been quite pleased with the son of a Long Island potato farmer.

And again, I won't blame Carl - Crawford, this time - for accepting the outlandish offer that the Red Sox made to him.  I am sure that you all, every one of you on this board or forum, would turn down and offer that was 50 to 60% higher than you ever erxpected.  Riiiiggggghhht.  I can hear it now, "Oh, no thank you, sir.  I am not worth that much.  I'll come to work for $35,000, not $55,000."  Or whatever.

Very clearly, Carl tried too hard and lost sight of his regular game.  I wish he had relaxed and played like he usually did, but one off season doesn't a career define.  If you think so, see my reference to the other Carl.  I fully expect Crawford to be back to his proper game.  And as soon as I say that, someone will say, "He still isn't worth  the contract."  SO WHAT?  He didn't demand it, he was OFFERED it.  Don't blame him for the move that Luccino or Werner made.  He will make a terrific tandem with Ells on the base paths .... I'm lookig forward to that reality, too.

Back to the finances.  

Mr. Henry spends more on his Fedship docking fees, crew, stocking of goods and services and maintenance than he does on any part of the Red Sox.   If we are talking about what he can afford, in a real world, that incredible ship tells us what he can really do.  Unlike the Red Sox, there is no financial return from his BOAT.  I know his accountants can probably make it look quite attractive somehow, but it doesn't MAKE money like all things related to Red Sox.  

I do agree he is hesitant to throw good money after bad - the luxury tax - but I shop with coupons so I don't do the same.  (Yeah, and the good wife is a wizard at it ... I buy nothing at full price if I possibly can.  My Rolex I bought off a street mechant in NYC for only $50!!!   Saved thousands.  Paid for the whole bus trip to see Macy's Thanksgiving trip.)  ;o)

I will return to the significant issue that started this thread.  Moon is to be credited for his statements concerning how the expensive signings will hog tie other large expenditures and make keeping some of our own stars a difficulty. 

I compliment him for the wisdom he showed.  In my emotional state of euphoria when hearing of Crawfoird's signing, I wasn't thinking as forwardly as he was. 

I also see the reality that with Ellsbury about to go on the free market, that the owners may well be saving up to keep our fleet and suddenly powerful star.  There are few players in the majors right now that match up to all his qualities.  We need not trade for him, scuttle the farm for him,  wish he were here because he already is ... we just need to win his signature.  Ben and the rest of the FO are surely targeting that.  It will be a pretty penny, surely.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Good morning, fellas and ladies,

The compliment to Moon still stands. 

Burrito, my brother, it is my standing statement/MO not to be overly critical of current Sox members.  I don't have much good to say about our Mr. Lackey, but hope springs eternal that he will return after a season where we won't hear people gagging over his name nor see him act like a child when a badly thrown pitch isn't caught by a teammate.  The reference to how I might have felt about the Rocket is accurate only because I was ignorant of his poor ;ast few seasons here.  I've referenced that before - having lived far from places that cared a mite about Boston and only had line scores in the paper, not even box scores.  I could have purchased the Sporting News to find out more, but my finances were being spent in areas I considered more significant.  I do refrain from critical remarks simply because there are so many others who do that all the time.  I find no reason to follow the mob.  Mob mentality leads to Chicken Little-isms and little appreciation for what one has.  It also seems to forget one of the largest truths about baseball, that is that it is a game of streaks, ups and downs, loss and recovery.  I've mentioned before how people in the press called for Yaz's head when he batted in the .250's .... in between two .300 seasons.  He had several less than stellar seasons, but as a whole, I've been quite pleased with the son of a Long Island potato farmer.

And again, I won't blame Carl - Crawford, this time - for accepting the outlandish offer that the Red Sox made to him.  I am sure that you all, every one of you on this board or forum, would turn down and offer that was 50 to 60% higher than you ever erxpected.  Riiiiggggghhht.  I can hear it now, "Oh, no thank you, sir.  I am not worth that much.  I'll come to work for $35,000, not $55,000."  Or whatever.

Very clearly, Carl tried too hard and lost sight of his regular game.  I wish he had relaxed and played like he usually did, but one off season doesn't a career define.  If you think so, see my reference to the other Carl.  I fully expect Crawford to be back to his proper game.  And as soon as I say that, someone will say, "He still isn't worth  the contract."  SO WHAT?  He didn't demand it, he was OFFERED it.  Don't blame him for the move that Luccino or Werner made.  He will make a terrific tandem with Ells on the base paths .... I'm lookig forward to that reality, too.

Back to the finances.  

Mr. Henry spends more on his Fedship docking fees, crew, stocking of goods and services and maintenance than he does on any part of the Red Sox.   If we are talking about what he can afford, in a real world, that incredible ship tells us what he can really do.  Unlike the Red Sox, there is no financial return from his BOAT.  I know his accountants can probably make it look quite attractive somehow, but it doesn't MAKE money like all things related to Red Sox.  

I do agree he is hesitant to throw good money after bad - the luxury tax - but I shop with coupons so I don't do the same.  (Yeah, and the good wife is a wizard at it ... I buy nothing at full price if I possibly can.  My Rolex I bought off a street mechant in NYC for only $50!!!   Saved thousands.  Paid for the whole bus trip to see Macy's Thanksgiving trip.)  ;o)

I will return to the significant issue that started this thread.  Moon is to be credited for his statements concerning how the expensive signings will hog tie other large expenditures and make keeping some of our own stars a difficulty. 

I compliment him for the wisdom he showed.  In my emotional state of euphoria when hearing of Crawfoird's signing, I wasn't thinking as forwardly as he was. 

I also see the reality that with Ellsbury about to go on the free market, that the owners may well be saving up to keep our fleet and suddenly powerful star.  There are few players in the majors right now that match up to all his qualities.  We need not trade for him, scuttle the farm for him,  wish he were here because he already is ... we just need to win his signature.  Ben and the rest of the FO are surely targeting that.  It will be a pretty penny, surely.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well said Yaz.

I caught a lot of grief fro projection tough financial times ahead, but now many are acting like they knew it all along, or are the types that expect Henry to become the next King George.

We spent this year's money on AGon and Buch's extensions. It's not like we have done nothing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Poorly said, homey. Moonslob was an after signing mild critic of Crawford.

As for this silly CBT bean counting overstatement, you don't buy a Rolls Royce and skimp with recapped tires. Epstein mistakes are in stone, but penny pinching just for the sake of saving a few million to barely stay under CBT is utter absurdity!  

Now, you two get your Drones' cheerleader uniforms on and strop fretting about CBT. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: The Moon Rises, Ben Says Moeny is Tight:
    [QUOTE]Well said Yaz. I caught a lot of grief fro projection tough financial times ahead, but now many are acting like they knew it all along, or are the types that expect Henry to become the next King George. We spent this year's money on AGon and Buch's extensions. It's not like we have done nothing.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Quite true.  No big headlines, big splashes ... unless we consider Valentine as that reality.

I think I am like many, I'd like to see the big deal(s) because they are exciting.  But they aren't necessarily all that good.   The Big Three (basketball) in Miami didn't cut it.  The "Dream Team" in Philly is still below .500.  The sure thing in the Phillies, the Jangees and Red Sox all came up short.  I dare to say the big signings in/for LAA will make them a terrific team, but they will just as likely fall short as we have.  

We are like children, sir.  We forget the presents that have been under the tree from Christmases past and only look for the ones that are presently there. 
    To hear Ben say that we already have a top notch squad and only need to tweak it doesn't sound like world winners ... but it is essentially true.  Neither the Red Sox nor our ancient enemy saw fit to make big moves.  They are not needed ... aside from pitching.  (oops ...) 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

The Big Three (basketball) in Miami didn't cut it.

The big 3 are only in 2nd year of multi-year contracts. Close 2nd in first year was not bad at all. 

The "Dream Team" in Philly is still below .500.

Philly made playoffs in first year with Lee added to Holliday et al. Will be NL favorites and contenders again this year, not a bad spot to be in.

Jangees and Red Sox all came up short

Yankees won AL East and made playoffs. Not a success for Yankee standards, but Red Sox have one recent rare AL East title in 2007 Coco Crisp/Lugo year.

Red Sox made history with all-time greatest MLB regular season collapse. Did not make playoffs. Red Sox are the only team who truly failed and came up short in every measure. Which is why InEpstein and Tito contracts were not extended, and why old men Varitek and Wakefield have been kicked out of the frathhuse.

CBT penny pinching is not a formula to correct 3 year half billion and zero playoff win debacle. Team can win and reduce payroll by at least 25% or more, but not for 2012! Epstein incompetence will take time to recover from.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE] The Big Three (basketball) in Miami didn't cut it. The big 3 are only in 2nd year of multi-year contracts. Close 2nd in first year was not bad at all.  The "Dream Team" in Philly is still below .500.   Philly made playoffs in first year with Lee added to Holliday et al.Will be NL favorites and contenders again this year, not a bad spot to be in. Jangees and Red Sox all came up short Yankees won AL East and made playoffs. Not a success for Yankee standards, but Red Sox have one recent rare AL East title in 2007 Coco Crisp/Lugo year. Red Sox made history with all-time greatest MLB regular season collapse. Did not make playoffs. Red Sox are the only team who truly failed and came up short in every measure. Which is why InEpstein and Tito contracts were not extended, and why old men Varitek and Wakefield have been kicked out of the frathhuse. CBT penny pinching is not a formula to correct 3 year half billion and zero playoff win debacle. Team can win and reduce payroll by at least 25% or more, but not for 2012! Epstein incompetence will take time to recover from.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

This time you not only figurately moved the goalposts, but exchanged them for a backstop and a baseball diamond.  As judge, Moonie might hold you in contempt.  I'm just a sheriff around here. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEN_o3xYfEE

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE] The Big Three (basketball) in Miami didn't cut it. The big 3 are only in 2nd year of multi-year contracts. Close 2nd in first year was not bad at all.  The "Dream Team" in Philly is still below .500.   Philly made playoffs in first year with Lee added to Holliday et al. Will be NL favorites and contenders again this year, not a bad spot to be in. Jangees and Red Sox all came up short Yankees won AL East and made playoffs. Not a success for Yankee standards, but Red Sox have one recent rare AL East title in 2007 Coco Crisp/Lugo year. Red Sox made history with all-time greatest MLB regular season collapse. Did not make playoffs. Red Sox are the only team who truly failed and came up short in every measure. Which is why InEpstein and Tito contracts were not extended, and why old men Varitek and Wakefield have been kicked out of the frathhuse. CBT penny pinching is not a formula to correct 3 year half billion and zero playoff win debacle. Team can win and reduce payroll by at least 25% or more, but not for 2012! Epstein incompetence will take time to recover from.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

You are such a maroon.  You totally missed the "Dream Team" reference in Philly - that was the EAGLES.  They were supposed to sweep everything ...

Lee and Halladay and all failed to win the WS crown.  That is the ONLY thing the Phillies counted as success.  To say anything less is just stupidity.

The Miami Heat "Dream Team" or Big Three failed.  If you don't think so, go back and look at the faces, listen to the spin, see how the hammering of "King James" continued for month after month because he couldn't  close the deal.

Will they win this season?  Will any of the annointed?  We'll see.  But to date, they failed at the ulitmate reason for putting together all that talent.  That includes our beloved Sox.  No silver coating here ... but no winking at the other stuff too.

BTW, if you have so many extra millions to say are "nothing," I am fairly sure that Mr. Henry will gladly allow you to donate to the cause.

Sadly, you are so pathetic that when one offers another a compliment, you have to find a way to attack it.  You're quite the little gem.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Moon Rises, Ben Says Moeny is Tight : You are such a maroon.  You totally missed the "Dream Team" reference in Philly - that was the EAGLES.  They were supposed to sweep everything ... Lee and Halladay and all failed to win the WS crown.  That is the ONLY thing the Phillies counted as success.  To say anything less is just stupidity. The Miami Heat "Dream Team" or Big Three failed.  If you don't think so, go back and look at the faces, listen to the spin, see how the hammering of "King James" continued for month after month because he couldn't  close the deal. Will they win this season?  Will any of the annointed?  We'll see.  But to date, they failed at the ulitmate reason for putting together all that talent.  That includes our beloved Sox.  No silver coating here ... but no winking at the other stuff too. BTW, if you have so many extra millions to say are "nothing," I am fairly sure that Mr. Henry will gladly allow you to donate to the cause. Sadly, you are so pathetic that when one offers another a compliment, you have to find a way to attack it.  You're quite the little gem.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Not only does softy always have to be right, he can't allow anyone else to be right even once.

I have been wrong my share of times, but I called the TB finish as close to exact as possible: "They win 90-92 games and be in the race until the end" (or the last few games of the season). Softy could never accept that the Rays did better than almost everyone, except less than a handful of posters here, including myself. Good pitching keeps marginal teams in the race to the end. That's one reason I fear the state of our staff will be our downfall if we don't do something, even if it means sacrificing some offense to improve our pitching. The silly clown not only calls my idea idiotic, but wants to spend the rest of our resources on obtaining more offense.  (The old softy used to say it was "all about the pitching".) 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

He'll be happy to google whatever you're talking about, or add a tweet someone said.

sorry if facts bother you so much in your delusional world

He's the most transparent poster on this board.

you make that sound like a bad thing

I'm not hiding anything ,

my name & avatar are both clear as 2 which team I support

I'm here to talk & learn about baseball

have a few laughs

while at the same time

keeping the board honest for the youngsters

of RSN that come here to learn

what's wrong with that -- PrisonstripeZac

----------------------------------------------

Oops. You left run Sox fans off their own board when they say things you don't like about the Yankees. How dare you say you're here to keep everyone honest. Why can't fans be fans on their own team board? Why do you believe they can't say anything positive that you won't jump on to prove them wrong? And then post abusive pics of them as intimidation, I guess.

There is no Sox fan on any Yankee board who does what you do here. You have your fans here, your Yankee fans love you, and we both know we're not just talking about this board. You and your recommendations (11 at the time prior to one of your multiple bannings) were put up on a Yankee site where they all laughed about it. Apparently, you're quite well known for what you do.

You don't come here to talk and learn about anything.You're a 24/7 google/tweet machine who just looks up things for whatever is being discussed between your abuse and people buy it. I don't. Probably because as a new poster, I was on the receiving end of what you're actually here for. And I feel bad for all the posters before me that had to deal with you, and your "fan" support.

Btw, do people actually think it's cute when a man your age photoshops other people's children to make your abusive posts? I guess, water finds it's own level.