the myers misque.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

the myers misque.

this is what i think went wrong.as he drifted back he was feeling for the

wall.at that moment myers lost the ball in the sun.its as simple as that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: the myers misque.

In response to soxyjim's comment:

He said he saw Jennings out of the corner of his eye and thought he was going to make the play...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

It was a big mistake, but I'm a little sick of all the media focusing on that play.  Redsox won 12-2.  I think they win with or without that mistake.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

Dont forget 3:05 early start time is going to cause some ultra funky sunlight in the league's most difficult right fields.  That kid is a stud and we will be a thorn in our side for many, many years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to spewey's comment:

Dont forget 3:05 early start time is going to cause some ultra funky sunlight in the league's most difficult right fields.  That kid is a stud and we will be a thorn in our side for many, many years.

Very true.

Did you steal your moniker from "Get A Life"?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Could be Jim, but if it is why did he just not come out and say "I lost it in the sun"? That would have made a lot more sense than saying he saw Jennings out of the corner of his eye. Doesnt add up. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

Could be Jim, but if it is why did he just not come out and say "I lost it in the sun"? That would have made a lot more sense than saying he saw Jennings out of the corner of his eye. Doesnt add up. 

[/QUOTE]

Unless he did see Jennings out of the corner of his eye, in which case it does.

He's a rookie and a poor fielder.  He thought Jennings had the ball, and as a corner OF, pulled off.   It was a bad decision on his part, and he owned up to it....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i thought the left fielder played horribly - two terrible plays off the wall like he had never seen the monster before....and the pitcher was asleep as well on the drew's hit...just a total meltfown defensivily so i agree that this myers thing is way over the top

As always - 100% correct!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i thought the left fielder played horribly - two terrible plays off the wall like he had never seen the monster before....and the pitcher was asleep as well on the drew's hit...just a total meltfown defensivily so i agree that this myers thing is way over the top

Triple-ARod did look poor out there, but the guy in an infielder by trade.  For all the talk about their defense all year long, I think Maddon overmanages them defensively with all his rotating shifts, and then goes and sacrifices defense for the sake of a RHH bat in LF.   

And while Rodriguez did hit a HR, he might have cost them more with his defense...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's a rookie and a poor fielder.  He thought Jennings had the ball, and as a corner OF, pulled off.   It was a bad decision on his part, and he owned up to it....

[/QUOTE]

But the premise of the OP was that he lost it in the sun, and my point was that if he did, there was no reason not to say so. How could he think Jennings had the ball when Jennings was 15 feet behind him to his right UNLESS he heard a voice calling him off--which clearly was not Jennings. Ah ha, now it all makes sense. Jennings was nowhere near him, if he had really seen him out of the corner of his eye, hed have known Jennings was much too far away to get to the ball. No matter how you sice this up, his story dosnt make sense. Madden's behavior in the presser was odd to say the least, from raising his hand to his forehead before delving into the subject, to interrupting himself to mention being out of breath from coming up the stairs to saying "the way I heard it.." etc., which means "I dont understand this, but this is what they tell me, and Im mot going to throw my players under the bus".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But the premise of the OP was that he lost it in the sun, and my point was that if he did, there was no reason not to say so. How could he think Jennings had the ball when Jennings was 15 feet behind him to his right UNLESS he heard a voice calling him off--which clearly was not Jennings. Ah ha, now it all makes sense. Jennings was nowhere near him, if he had really seen him out of the corner of his eye, hed have known Jennings was much too far away to get to the ball. No matter how you sice this up, his story dosnt make sense. Madden's behavior in the presser was odd to say the least, from raising his hand to his forehead before delving into the subject, to interrupting himself to mention being out of breath from coming up the stairs to saying "the way I heard it.." etc., which means "I dont understand this, but this is what they tell me, and Im mot going to throw my players under the bus".

[/QUOTE]

But your theory was that someone in the Sox bullpen called him off, a theory I have heard a few other places.  The real problem is - why not just say "I got called off.  Turns out it was a guy in the Sox bullpen."   Perfect excuse for him as opposed to making up some story where he looks bad.

I think the Occam's Razor here is that he chocked, pure and simple.  He thought Jennings would get the ball and he peeled off, making a huge mistake.   It's not like he is a good outfilelder.   The only reason he plays outfield at all is because he was a lousy catcher to begin with.

Maddon was just frustrated at what should have been a fairly routine out.  Certainly Maddon is not above calling out other teams for things like that...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

All true.  Still, this was without question a HUGE mis-play that was key to sparking a big 5 run inning.  Equally big was the "double hustle" play by Gomes & Drew.  Close behind was the mis que by the left fielder on the Middy bash, where Drew's hustle scores him from first. 

Gotta hand it to Myers.  He was a STAND UP kid & took the heat like a MAN.  I really wish he had been a sniveling spoiled prima donna, as something like this could become a rallying cry for the Rays.  Let's hope they don't rally behind the kid & use it to fuel a big playoff run.  We know this team is capable of this, so let's not poke the bear.

I think it's good enough to say that the Sox capitalized on this mistake, as they did on so many other mistakes, and won this game on heads up hustle, great pitching from Lester, and big time key hitting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I posted this elsewhere copied & pasted it here as Headline appropriate:

Tennis is supposed to be a gentleman's sport but I know from experience that if a lob come between 2 defenders, an opponent or a spectator can yell " I got it " or "mine" & neither defender knows who said it as neither said it & it drops in. I believe Myers either lost it in the sun or misplayed it becasue he was close to the wall...didn't it drop in back of him? If a call came from the Sox bullpen or a fan, bush league or not, it's still part of the  game but did Myers say he heard "I got it" thinking Jennings said it. I don't think so he said he heard it. And, if he heard it from a fan or the bullpen, why not admit it. I know that athletes sometimes collide going after a ball but I just think in the spur of the moment and pressure of the game, he choked.

Anyway, Tampa has frequently had some quirky breaks against us and I'm happy to see we finally got some.

I know too it changed the complexion of the game but take the 5 runs away and assume the rest of the game goes as it did and we win 7-2 ! Amen! Want to beat Price today even by 1 run.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

But your theory was that someone in the Sox bullpen called him off, a theory I have heard a few other places.  The real problem is - why not just say "I got called off.  Turns out it was a guy in the Sox bullpen."   Perfect excuse for him as opposed to making up some story where he looks bad.

I think the Occam's Razor here is that he chocked, pure and simple.  He thought Jennings would get the ball and he peeled off, making a huge mistake.   It's not like he is a good outfilelder.   The only reason he plays outfield at all is because he was a lousy catcher to begin with.

Maddon was just frustrated at what should have been a fairly routine out.  Certainly Maddon is not above calling out other teams for things like that...

Because, as I posted in another thread, saying he thought someone in the pen called him off would have made him look even wose because it would turn him into the victim of a joke, and hes still too young to resign himself to something like that, laugh about it and move on like a veteran might. Additionally, it could be that hes not totally sure what he heard in all the noise out there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Because, as I posted in another thread, saying he thought someone in the pen called him off would have made him look even wose because it would turn him into the victim of a joke, and hes still too young to resign himself to something like that, laugh about it and move on like a veteran might. Additionally, it could be that hes not totally sure what he heard in all the noise out there.

But see, this falls into the realm of knowing whether or not Myers is capable of admitting anything like that.  I don't know him well enough.  I do know he is not much of an outfielder, so any miscue by him would not surprise me.

Admitting to a joke or not, it would have given him a much better excuse than anything he did say.   Were he as self-conscious as you portray (and he might be), why not just come out and say that, rather than answer he gave that protrays him as the clueless outfielder who doesn't know what is going on?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Not sure why we have to make more of this than is there...the kid made a bad play, he owned it , move on...

If you watch the video replay he clearly calls off Jennings...so at that point it's his ball. If a fan or one of the Red Sox tried to call him off and he allowed that to happen knowing that only he and Jennings could've caught the ball. it doesn't change anything...it was still a bad play.

Now if he lost it in the sun which the video doesn't support based on how he reacted. the kid can be a excused and chalk it up to that's day time baseball. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Not sure why we have to make more of this than is there...the kid made a bad play, he owned it , move on...

If you watch the video replay he clearly calls off Jennings...so at that point it's his ball. If a fan or one of the Red Sox tried to call him off and he allowed that to happen knowing that only he and Jennings could've caught the ball. it doesn't change anything...it was still a bad play.

Now if he lost it in the sun which the video doesn't support based on how he reacted. the kid can be a excused and chalk it up to that's day time baseball. 

==============================

I agree with you. Most athletes are aggressive, tennis players both go after lobs or vollies and almost collide even hearing "mine, yours". A linebacker like a mongoose strikes a snakes hits the hole to tackle aggressively. He should have been like a magnet going after that ball even risking colliding. In short, it was the sun or he just misplayed it worrying about the wall perhaps. I'm happy it led to 5 runs but without them & the game goes the same, we win 7-2.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think he just misjudged it.  Plain and simple.  I think he was originally a 3B so he may be adjusting still to the OF and it looked like he took a route that didn't allow him to really judge the the arch........That's my take on it.  So many possibilities I am probably wrong but until we know for sure, that's what I am going with.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to tampa2013's comment:

The question was answered by the outfielder himself and quoted in numerous sources, Why all of the ridiculous speculation and conspiracy theories by this poster named Examiner who merely desires attention? Move on and talk baseball.

Thanks for the good laugh, pike. 

21. This post has been removed.