The next manager should be.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from markten22. Show markten22's posts

The next manager should be.......

.............Joe Torre

Ok, I know its pretty stupid, and I probably wouldnt want to see him there, but bare with me on this:

1.  The market is thin of qualified managers who can handle Boston and it media.
    2.  Torre can handle high priced players and big market media
    3.  Torre brings AL east experience, has a few WS rings.
    4.  The best part.....  It would be a slap in the face to the Yankees organization

This is not to be taken all that serious, but it does present an interesting option.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Re: The next manager should be.......

and the other obvious name is Bobby Valentine

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from markten22. Show markten22's posts

Valentine would be good if we were the Seibu Lions.  LoL! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4101542. Show user_4101542's posts

Felipe Alou? We really need someone who Will take TEAM best interest decisions instead of salary justifications decisions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

I'D LIKE TO SEE ECK AS THE MANAGER. HE APPEARS TO BE
    A HARD NOSED NO-NONSENSE GUY WHO WILL RESTORE
    ORDER ON THIS TEAM. PLUS, HE HAS BIG GAME EXPERIENCE
    BOTH AS A STARTER AND RELIEVER AND HAS BEEN TO THE
    BIG SHOW. I LISTEN TO HIM WHEN HE REPLACED REMY, AND
    ECK HAS A LOT OF BASEBALL KNOWLEDGE. I WOULD BET HE
    COULD GET THIS TEAM PLAYING HARD NOSED BALL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Felipe Alou is 76. He would have been a good choice if it were 10-20 years ago.

Joe Torre is 71. He probably would come to Boston, if offered the job. He would command instant respect and hiring him would definitely tweak the Yankees. But he wouldn't be someone who could last 8 or more years like Francona. Do the Red Sox really want a short-term stopgap? I'm not sure. Maybe.

Lou Piniella isn't a stats guy. Fiery or not, he'd never get hired.

I'm not sure about Bobby Valentine. His name crops up with every managerial opening and yet he never lands a post. Something about him probably rubs teams the wrong way.

Tony La Russa is a big name. The Cardinals will likely extend him.

Ken Macha was a candidate for the Red Sox job in the past. He seems like another Francona. I think the Red Sox should look for someone a bit more testy and draconian.

I like Dennis Eckersley but he hasn't managed or coached at any level. I doubt the Red Sox would pick a rookie.

You know who would have been perfect? Buck Showalter. Too bad he's not available.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from markten22. Show markten22's posts

davidap,

Spot on with the choices.  Agree with you on Torre, he isnt a long term solution, but with the market is so thin of qualified long term managers, he would be an interesting option for a short term deal; It would surely sour some yankee fans and organizational execs.  Maybe 3 or 4 year deal.  Hoepfully by then they might have an internal candidate to promote (Pawsox Manager), or the market will have more options then current year does.

Showalter would be interesting, and a good candidate.

If your talking Eckersley, then why not the Remdog.  LoL.. ok that was a joke.

This is going to be a fun off-season.  cheers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Tony Pena.  He's a former Sox Player, so he knows what to expect.  He has a son in the organization.  He's a former catcher and a terrific one - who better to usher in the Salty / Lavarnway era - he could call games from the bench if he had to.  And he's a former manager of the year - if he could get the 2003 Royals playing over .500, imagine what he could do for this club.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I asked this on another thread, and nobody answered. Why the fascination Valentine, who made the playoffs twice in a 15-year career in the MLB and got fired twice in Japan?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Ryan Sandberg... end of discussion

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Let's go old school.

Joe Cronin was a player-manager of the Red Sox. Bucky Harris, who later became the Red Sox manager for a year then late GM, was a player-manager for the Washington Senators. He took over the Senators in 1924 at age 27, leading them to back-to-back appearances in the World Series, winning against the Giants in 1924. (Walter Johnson was on those Washington teams).

So how about player-manager Dustin Pedroia.

Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: The next manager should be.......:
    [QUOTE]Let's go old school. Joe Cronin was a player-manager of the Red Sox. Bucky Harris, who later became the Red Sox manager for a year then late GM, was a player-manager for the Washington Senators. He took over the Senators in 1924 at age 27, leading them to back-to-back appearances in the World Series, winning against the Giants in 1924. (Walter Johnson was on those Washington teams). So how about player-manager Dustin Pedroia.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I think Pedroia's lineup would have him playing every position & pitching :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: The next manager should be.......:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The next manager should be....... : I think Pedroia's lineup would have him playing every position & pitching :)
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I'm sure his pitching would be an improvement of what the Sox got from their normal pitchers in September.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Someone who will make sure every man on the team can bunt!
    Someone who will not hand the ball to a pitcher, 6 or 7 straight times, knowing he's probably going to lose the game.
    Someone who will insist his players are concentratinfeel comfortable, and know what;g on the game, so he can be assured that a single to left field is not going to result in 3 runs.
    Someone who instructs his piters to pitch, and let his catcher call the game.
    Someone wh can recognize when his pitcher is out of gas, and has a pitcher ready in the bullpen.
    Someone who calls the steals and the hit-and-runs. Only Pedroia knows howe and when to go. Crawford, maybe when (if) he gets his act together.
    Someone who runs a clubhouse in a manner that guys like Crawford (and Rentaria, etc). and know where they stand.

Joe Maddon

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yank06. Show yank06's posts

In Response to The next manager should be.......:
    [QUOTE].............Joe Torre Ok, I know its pretty stupid, and I probably wouldnt want to see him there, but bare with me on this: 1.  The market is thin of qualified managers who can handle Boston and it media. 2.  Torre can handle high priced players and big market media 3.  Torre brings AL east experience, has a few WS rings. 4.  The best part.....  It would be a slap in the face to the Yankees organization   This is not to be taken all that serious, but it does present an interesting option.
    Posted by markten22[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox might bring back Manny Ramirez as manager!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gosox67. Show gosox67's posts

In Response to Re: The next manager should be.......:martinez of tampa bay
    [QUOTE]I asked this on another thread, and nobody answered. Why the fascination Valentine, who made the playoffs twice in a 15-year career in the MLB and got fired twice in Japan?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXN6. Show SOXN6's posts

How about Mike Sciocia. Hes already expressed frustration with F.O with there lack of signings, hes an ex player, knows pitching and catching ( 2 areas of concern. And seems like a no nonsense typr manager. A few others.....Ron gardenhire..fiery, Jim Leyland, clint hurdle.... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'd love Scioscia, but he recently signed a 10-year contract!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxNation4Ever. Show RedSoxNation4Ever's posts

heard Mike Sciossa is rumored, he would be the best. I think this is like Torre leaving.  he wanted some guarantees, minimally two years.  If Tito had asked for two years and been told one, then he knew the confidence in him was minimal.  That scenario allows Larry the Lip to say things like, it was his decision, don't understand how he could doubt our backing.
      Dangerous time now.  It would be easy for Sox to pick a tough minded manager, and when that approach doesn't work to try to find someone like Tito, and have that guy be the wrong guy, and the next thing we know ten years has been wasted looking for someone that is just like Tito.
      Ironical that a stand up guy like Tito says is time for a new voice, while the Lackeys and Crawfords come back next year.  At least Adrian who said losing the homerun hitting contest wasn't that big of a deal (made me happy I had been rooting for him), can give us the perspective that it seems it wasn't part of God's Plan for the most successful manager in Red Sox history (at least for ninety years tobe brought back!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from markten22. Show markten22's posts

If were talking about former players.. then here is my vote. 

Kevin Millar (Manager)
    Bill Mueller (hitting Coach)
    Curt Schilling (Pitching Coach)
    Dave Roberts (Bench Coach)

There is my Vote for 2012 Coaching Staff

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Schilling.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Guvnor. Show Guvnor's posts

Joe maddon ticks all the boxes, doesn't he?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfan23325. Show patsfan23325's posts

some of you on here are speaking from the heart instad of smarts. i have been watching the sawks for over 40 years and i have seen a lot of managers and seasons come and go, the manager that would be great for this team is someone who wouldnt take the crap that some of the players are dishing out..."milion dollar b1tches" as i call them there is a lot of I's on this team which include wakefield, youk, papi, drew, lackey just to name a few, we need a mgr that won't put up with that bs and Valentine would be a geat one so would guillen (but he is gone to marlins) they don't take crap from milionaires playing a kids game. Managing in places like Boston an New York takes a special type of manage dealing with media and the nation because of the payroll and with having a large payroll come the status quo on different players and special needs. so with that who should be filling out the application to be the red sox manager?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

PENA

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Tony Pena isn't a very exciting name, although I agree he's a good candidate. He played in Boston, he's a former catcher, he's been an active coach for several years, he managed a mediocre Kansas City Royals team to an above-.500 record, he's currently with the Yankees, and he's Latino which might help with the Spanish-speaking players on the team. He'd be a solid choice, IF 1) he's a stats guy and 2) he's bold enough to discipline players, instead of befriend them. Does anyone know the answer to those two questions?

I'd really like to see Dennis Eckersley replace Curt Young as pitching coach. Young clearly didn't get the job done, fair or not, and listening to Eckersley on NESN tells me he really knows his pitching. Maybe give him a one-year trial run?

I also love the idea of Kevin Millar on the coaching staff. You can't have a guy like Millar as a manager, but for 1B coach, why not? He's a tremendous team chemistry guy and 1B coach is basically a nothing position anyway. Let Millar be the goofy pal and Pena the no-nonsense disciplinarian.

Pena for MNG, Eckersley as pitching coach, Millar as 1B coach?

Another name to consider is Larry Bowa. He has a reputation for demanding a lot from his players.